• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August packing list - preparing for the Camino

vikitoriaria

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (August 2019)
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum. I'm flying from Paris to Zaragoza on the 30th of July. That day I will reach SJPDP around 16h. And the next day I plan to start walking.
In the photo attached is my packing list. With water bottle of 1.2L, it weighed 5.5 kg. I plan to walk for 30 days, hopefully less. I have a flight from Porto on the 31st of August.

Also I am thinking about taking a camping mug and a book to read. I would prefer physical copy to save the battery on my iphone.

EDIT: I think I will also add a sink stopper and S hooks to the list.

I'm 27 old, female, I have 72 kg and 165 cm.

Please let me know your opinions.

Attachments

• 66332131_2151204874988933_5467726812165439488_o.jpg
    66332131_2151204874988933_5467726812165439488_o.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi vikitoriaria,

Welcome to the Forum.
This looks like a pretty comprehensive list.
I did notice that you have two long sleeved merino t shirts listed but no short sleeved ones, and no shorter garment like shorts (or a skirt, if this is something you wear). In warm weather you might be well served to have at least one light short sleeved t shirt along with one merino long sleeved one.
I was glad of my long sleeved merino T, but didn’t need it all that often in May/June. I imagine there would be even less need for two in July.
As to the other things you list, I might not carry some of it, but, if you feel like carrying it, and it makes you feel good, then go for it.

Buen Camino.

All the best,
Paul

Hi vikitoriaria,

Welcome to the Forum.
This looks like a pretty comprehensive list.
I did notice that you have two long sleeved merino t shirts listed but no short sleeved ones, and no shorter garment like shorts (or a skirt, if this is something you wear). In warm weather you might be well served to have at least one light short sleeved t shirt along with one merino long sleeved one.
I was glad of my long sleeved merino T, but didn’t need it all that often in May/June. I imagine there would be even less need for two in July.
As to the other things you list, I might not carry some of it, but, if you feel like carrying it, and it makes you feel good, then go for it.

Buen Camino.

All the best,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the response. I don't plan to wear short sleeved t-shirts because I'm afraid of getting sunburnt. I'm not sure if my way of thinking is wrong.
Short pants definitely not because of chaffing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congrats on packing so light!

I didnt take much in the way of cosmetics or first aid ... and I think my bag was heavier. Dont really need the cutlery either I think. Or a mug.

Something with short sleeves / shorts / skirt would be a must I think.

Earplugs - Several pairs is a good idea, easy to lose one at night. Keep spares to hand. And I'd get use to wearing them before you go to.

First Aid - I didnt take much really, but I do wish I took more Ibuprofen. It was very expensive to buy in Spain

Congrats on packing so light!

I didnt take much in the way of cosmetics or first aid ... and I think my bag was heavier. Dont really need the cutlery either I think. Or a mug.

Something with short sleeves / shorts / skirt would be a must I think.

Earplugs - Several pairs is a good idea, easy to lose one at night. Keep spares to hand. And I'd get use to wearing them before you go to.

First Aid - I didnt take much really, but I do wish I took more Ibuprofen. It was very expensive to buy in Spain

Short pants or skirts would cause chaffing for me. That's why i would rather wear yoga pants. And I decided based on other people's advises to take long sleeved shirt because of sunburns.

How expensive is ibuprofen in Spain?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Paul,

I don't plan to wear short sleeved t-shirts because I'm afraid of getting sunburnt. I'm not sure if my way of thinking is wrong.
Short pants definitely not because of chaffing.

I also walked exclusively in a long sleeve sun hoodie (very lightweight, but covered all of my skin, including arms, back, neck, etc). I am fair skinned and did not want to get sunburnt. I also did not want to have to use a bunch of sunscreen every day.

However, to stay cool, I walked in running shorts. This is obviously personal if you experience chaffing, some people do, some people don't. Maybe consider having one of your 'pants' be more like 'capris'? Where the pants only go to midway down the shin? This may allow you to be cooler on hotter days while still providing protection from chaffing. Like these:
1562855368653.png

Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum. I'm flying from Paris to Zaragoza on the 30th of July. That day I will reach SJPDP around 16h. And the next day I plan to start walking.
In the photo attached is my packing list. With water bottle of 1.2L, it weighed 5.5 kg. I plan to walk for 30 days, hopefully less. I have a flight from Porto on the 31st of August.

Also I am thinking about taking a camping mug and a book to read. I would prefer physical copy to save the battery on my iphone.

EDIT: I think I will also add a sink stopper and S hooks to the list.

I'm 27 old, female, I have 72 kg.

Please let me know your opinions.
Wow, all of that is 5.5 kg!? I'm doing something wrong!! My list for September doesn't include cutlery, nearly as many liquids, not as many clothes, and no hardback books. I'm going to have to re-evaluate!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, all of that is 5.5 kg!? I'm doing something wrong!! My list for September doesn't include cutlery, nearly as many liquids, not as many clothes, and no hardback books. I'm going to have to re-evaluate!

The stuff in the backpack, yes. I didn't count the clothes I would be wearing on me, I didn't weight the fanny pack yet, there I will put electronics, wallet, passport, wet wipes and hand gel, and maybe a handkerchief. And also tobacoo and something to collect butts.

I also walked exclusively in a long sleeve sun hoodie (very lightweight, but covered all of my skin, including arms, back, neck, etc). I am fair skinned and did not want to get sunburnt. I also did not want to have to use a bunch of sunscreen every day.

However, to stay cool, I walked in running shorts. This is obviously personal if you experience chaffing, some people do, some people don't. Maybe consider having one of your 'pants' be more like 'capris'? Where the pants only go to midway down the shin? This may allow you to be cooler on hotter days while still providing protection from chaffing. Like these:
View attachment 61042

I concidered them, but then I went for testing walking of 20km. And my claves were seriuously burned. I'm going like a ninja rather :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great pack list! Also consider what you'll wear after you get to your destination each afternoon/evening. It will undoubtedly still be warm as you meander around the town that you're in, but you'll mostly be in the shade. After those many hours of walking in full clothing in the sun, a sleeveless shirt and shorts or skirt feels real good after a shower.

I believe you are going to burn up with long sleeved merino shirts in July!
I'd change those to cotton.
I usually wear short sleeved merino - but whew! It's hot in July.
All medicines are quite inexpensive in Spain, including ibuprofen.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just re-read your post and saw your part about 'physical book to save battery on phone' - I thought I should mention for anyone reading now, keeping my phone charged was never an issue. There was electricity available every night (unlike camping trips) and in a real pinch you could re-charge at a cafe during the day if needed. I brought a remote battery (I wasn't sure what the plug-availability would be before I left). For weight saving, I would say the remote battery wasn't strictly needed, but I actually really liked having it for an unexpected reason - I preferred to sleep with my phone under my pillow, so I charged the remote battery overnight and then charged my phone from the battery during the day.

More details in my electronics section of my detailed pack list here.

I just re-read your post and saw your part about 'physical book to save battery on phone' - I thought I should mention for anyone reading now, keeping my phone charged was never an issue. There was electricity available every night (unlike camping trips) and in a real pinch you could re-charge at a cafe during the day if needed. I brought a remote battery (I wasn't sure what the plug-availability would be before I left). For weight saving, I would say the remote battery wasn't strictly needed, but I actually really liked having it for an unexpected reason - I preferred to sleep with my phone under my pillow, so I charged the remote battery overnight and then charged my phone from the battery during the day.

More details in my electronics section of my detailed pack list here.

In the end I didn't bring the book, I just took photos of it so I can have it on my phone. Also after a while I relied on camino apps. I didn't even need a remote battery, you can charge your phone when neeeded, this wasn't really an issue.

How it actually was

Attachments

• 66332131_2151204874988933_5467726812165439488_o.jpg
    66332131_2151204874988933_5467726812165439488_o.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 34
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.