• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August Pilgrims please help: Unguento still available?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi, I hope this post does not offend or break any rules, written or otherwise, please moderators edit or remove it if it does.

If not, here's the thing: I walked the Frances from StJPdP to Santiago in Aug-Sept 2012 and found, on the reception desk at the Hostal Santa Maria in Cacabelos, a small box of round plastic tubs with 'Peregrino Unguento Balsamico'. As I, without knowing it, had just started a long on-and-off-thing with Plantar Fasciitis, and my feet really hurt, I bought two tubs and immediately started using the first. The other was a gift. Now this stuff really worked for me, and every time people smelt it and I offered them some, they liked it too. So at the end of the walk - no more unguento left. My Camino sisters bought every other kind of unguento peregrino they could find but we still preferred this one. I have contacted the manufacturer and he now sells it online which is not really brilliant for me - I have a small pack and would like to buy them as and when I need more (and if they sell them in Santiago I am buying an armful!) and I have not yet had an answer as to whether or not he still sells them in farmacias, supermercados or hotels/hostals along the Camino.

So I am asking if any August pilgrims have seen this for sale somewhere along the way between Astorga and Santiago? Are they still on the shelves or do I have to order online and have them shipped to my hotel to pick up before I start walking? I am starting mid Sept so I haven't got a lot of time to get it sorted.

I am not trying to advertise or sell anything here, and I don't have any shares in the company. I just have PF and some highly treasured feet who deserve only the best. Thank you!

Attachments

• unguento.jpg
    unguento.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 30
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow! Four years ago, and apparently no replies?!
My comment will not be helpful, as I have never heard of, nor seen, that medication.
Nidarosa - did you manage to find a source of easy supply?
Did you walk any more caminos?
Please don't think the forum is ignoring you!!!
I wish you another happy camino - with no PF pain.....
Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Stephen Nicholls I had completely forgotten this post! I did go back to Astorga in September 2014 and managed to buy a few more tubs in the same hotel in Cacabelos. In fact I still have one left after discovering Voltaren/Voltarol which really helped for the PF when it flared up. I have been back on the Francés five times and Inglés once since, and this September I walked from Estella to Finisterra with my husband, so all is good. Thank you for your concern though, how kind of you to reply. I hang out on the forum a lot to stave off the Post Camino Blues and this post brings back memories of a wonderful two week camino with my camino daughter - we met in Rabanal and walked to Santiago together and are still in touch. Buen camino to you too!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back