• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August/September/October 2017

Jazmine Knight

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk in (2017)
Hi! My mom and I are planning to be there in the late summer and early fall of this coming year!
We're thinking of getting to the area a few days to a week before walking to get used to the climate.
So I'm really starting to get excited and I'm beginning at least my mental preparations.

General questions:
Is anyone planning on being there around that time?
How early do you think I should start training?
Does anyone have any early-planning-stages advice for me?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum! This is the right place to come for suggestions and advice. Nearly any question you will have has been answered here at some point, so use the search function to look for answers. With that said, let me get you started.

- Hundreds of people will start the day you start, whatever day that is. You will meet your first fellow pilgrim on the train to St. Jean. There is no chance whatsoever of finding yourself alone on the Camino at that time of year, unless you want to be alone.

- Start training now. The training is part of the experience. Some do no training at all, but I do not recommend it. You will walk six hours every day for five weeks, give or take. It takes a toll on the body, and being ready reduces the risk of injury early on. At a minimum, you will want to get comfortable with your walking shoes and carrying a pack at least three months before you leave. Most people take some time to get used to carrying their equipment and finding a shoe/sock combination that works for them, so don't leave it too long. 50% of the Camino is avoiding blisters, and training is the key.

- As for planning, resist the urge to do too much of this. You really don't need to. That said, do your research on equipment and logistics so you know what to expect. As you research, you will hear "The Camino Provides" a lot, and this is true. You DO need to arrange transportation, and I recommend staying at Orisson the first night if you decide to walk the Napolean route on the first day. Buy a guidebook and read it now, it will later be your trusty companion on the Camino. I like Brierly, but there are others.

Buen Camino!

Hi! My mom and I are planning to be there in the late summer and early fall of this coming year!
We're thinking of getting to the area a few days to a week before walking to get used to the climate.
So I'm really starting to get excited and I'm beginning at least my mental preparations.

General questions:
It's never too early to start training. The most important thing is to walk - a lot. Miles and mile a day. After you can easily walk 10 miles in one go add your backpack. Not fully packed at first. And try to walk on hills as much as possible.
As far as easing into the Camino I highly recommend staying at Refuge Orisson the first night. It breaks up the hike over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles, and you will meet many wonderful people who you will most likely run into all along the Camino. They require booking ahead. I booked in April for my Camino which started in August.
Another great place to stay before you begin is Pension Corazon Puro. They will pick you up from the train station in Pamplona, give you dinner, and room for the night, then drive you to Saint Jean Pied de Port to begin the Camino in the morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I can only add the following to Rick's reply.
I am in my mid 50's and did a months preparation for my Frances Camino and 3 weeks for the Norte/Primivito. I lost over a stone on the first and slightly less on the second. In preparation I progressively increased the distances I walked and the weight of my pack. This was to ensure my boots were walked in and make sure the pack was comfortable and the weight was right. You should aim to get yourself perfectly comfortable with your boots and pack weight. I also spent a great deal of time working out what I actually needed to take and posted my pack list on the forum which is now tried and tested. You will hear a lot of talk about weight, I reckon 7 or 8 kg is about right but don't forget to account for some food and water
I would also give thought to what sleeping bag you will take and its weight. I took a 1kg down bag and on both Caminos... it was too warm. Most people had synthetic lightweight 1 or 2 season bags.
Rick is correct study a guide book (I used Brierely and found it very useful and up to date) but apart from that there is plenty of accommodation /resources on your path.
Lastly I was moved by attending Pilgrims mass in Roncesvalles and in Santiago when I had finished, something to consider.
Buen Camino.
Don.

As far as a sleeping bag - at that time of year I took a silk liner and a small, very lightweight down blanket. Most of the time the blanket wasn't necessary, but I did use it more towards the end of the Camino. I have just purchased a larger down blanket from Costco that I plan to cut to about a meter wide and sew it to a piece of silk the same size to make a sleeping bag with two different sides. When it's hot I'll sleep on top of the down portion, and when it's cold I'll sleep under the down.

Also, I didn't wear boots. I wore lightweight trail running shoes, and they worked great for me. I especially was happy not to be wearing boots when it was 35C!
I brought 3 pair of socks, and usually changed them during the day. Keeping your feet dry is very important to keeping them blister free! I only had one small blister, and I blame it on not diligently removing my shoes and socks to air out my feet when I took a break.

Most of my research went into what to bring to keep my pack weight down. I didn't read or take a guide book, I just let the adventure unfold. I did use a couple of apps though, to decide where to stop each day.

Hi: Since it sounds like you have a few extra days before starting from SJPdP, maybe consider backing up a bit along one of the routes in France and "warm up" by walking 3-4 days into SJPdP. That way you would not need to tackle the Pyrenees on Day 1. I did the Route Napoleon after having been walking part of the Le Puy Route, and I think it was certainly a better experience than had I tried it on my first day out.

Hi. I walked in August this year. Some people had said it would be too hot at that time of the year to walk but personally I loved it. First and foremost, I like the sun but on a more practical level you can get away with carrying less clothes. You won't need as many layers, and the clothes you do carry will dry quicker. I got away with carrying a 6-7 kilo backpack and I think that made a big difference to my own comfort and enjoyment level.

Twenty minutes of light drizzle was all the rain we had to endure on the way to Santiago. Admittedly, a couple of the longer days walks were that bit harder in 36-40 degree heat, particularly in the meseta desert. But I'd still prefer to walk in summer than late Autumn. Others might prefer the cooler climes of Sept/Oct.

I only decided to do my Camino two weeks before I set off from St Jean, so you are already far more advanced in any planning than I was. I managed to walk 90-100km before I flew to France. Hardly ideal, but still better than nothing. Those 100kms allowed me to break in my walking boots somewhat and get used to carrying a backpack.

I wouldn't pre-plan too much in general, not beyond the first day or two. The people you meet along the way will most likely influence your decision-making as much as any guidebook.

You and your Mum will have a great time. I met many parents who were walking with their sons/daughters, of all ages from teenagers to grown adults. You could see that walking the camino together was a unique opportunity and a source of great collective pride for all involved.

Yes to training. But if you can walk 5-10 miles you'll be fine. I did very little training, and on day one did 24km without much issue, with a 16kg rucksack. I doubt you wil have much issue with a lighter pack.

Rick mentioned that you would be walking six hours per day for five weeks. On my recent trip the average day was easily more like 8-10, with most pilgrims out the door at 6-7am, and the ones that i talked to along the way were mostly aiming for at least eight hours of walking per day (I was doing ten hours most days). I walked in October, and the temperatures were pretty good, but it was getting quite cold at night. My own intention was to start walking when it was dark and not find anywhere to sleep until at least 6pm, then 4 hours of chill out, and sleep at 10ish. Back up at 6ish and out the door by 7am. But walk your own camino, your own way. After a few days you'll find your own rhythm.

Like everyone else has said, just go with the flow. Some days you may only walk 10 miles, others you might hit 25. It all depends on how you feel. Let your body guide you once you are on the trail.

General questions:
Hi Jazmine, I will be leaving from SJPD on 31st Aug 2017 :) Here is my walking schedule to date and I have already started to incorporate walking everyday into my schedule

Attachments

• Santiago.png
    Santiago.png
    938.7 KB · Views: 64
WSelcome and buen Camino! August September is n-o-t early Fall, you will find it quite summerish and even downright hot! Two things not on everyones packing lists, two things that don't weigh anything but which may save you time and headaches.
1.) Well before you go, visit your dentist, you don't want to loose a filling or pop a crown in Spain. Dental medicine is advanced in Spain but if you can avoid telling the dentist what went wrong - in Spanish - look to it before you go.
2.) Every hamlet, every village, every town, every city in Spain has at least two peluqueros - hairdressers - like we Jews and our synagogues, one you always go to and one you wouldn't be caught dead in. Get you hair fixed/cut/styled before you go. Nobody will really notice but perhaps you don't want to want trimumphently into Santiago looking like the sisters of the Wild Man of Borneo.

Scrufy's above comment re the wild sisters of Borneo reminds me of my first visit to San Martin Pinario in Santiago. I simply walked in late at night after returning from Finistere during a sleet storm. Poncho and pack were coated with ice and I resembled the 'wicked witch of the west'. The then rather elegant concierge said "Good evening Madame I trust that you ARE a pilgrim" and promptly handed me a key to a 23 euro pilgrim room. There was no need to show any Credencial since no regular tourist would be out walking during such weather!!

Hi Jasmine, I will be starting the Camino on the 25th of Aug from St Jean. Started walking already around my home.. I live in a rural area with lots of hills and flats. I'm also going to stay in Paris for couple of days to get used to time zone and walking all day. Seeing all the sites in Paris via walking should be a good warm up for the Pyrenees. :) Maybe we will cross paths, Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jasmine, I will be starting the Camino on the 25th of Aug from St Jean. Started walking already around my home.. I live in a rural area with lots of hills and flats. I'm also going to stay in Paris for couple of days to get used to time zone and walking all day. Seeing all the sites in Paris via walking should be a good warm up for the Pyrenees. :) Maybe we will cross paths, Buen Camino

Tracie,

Since you are visiting Paris before beginning your pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Freres Aveniat and the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Do scan these earlier Forum threads for much more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino within Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

Tracie,

Since you are visiting Paris before beginning your pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Freres Aveniat and the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Do scan these earlier Forum threads for much more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino within Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!
Thank you for the information :) have Hostelworld in my phone and will def check out the previous forums for Paris info, Buen Camino

1. We're thinking of getting to the area a few days to a week before walking to get used to the climate.
2. Is anyone planning on being there around that time?
3. How early do you think I should start training?
4. Does anyone have any early-planning-stages advice for me?

Hi and welcome also from me. You don't mention where you are from, nor from where you want to start your pilgrimage, so here some well guessed tips:

1. Unless you are from a really different climate one or days should be enough to get over the jet lag (if applicable).
2. A few hundreds of people, but not all of them are active on this forum ;-)
3. The earlier the better, but it also depends on your current state of fitness.
4. Pack half of what you think you need, or even less.

Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I start from june this year, I think it is quiet good time, because based on statistic data, the most people are coming in April/May and July or after September. Normally the people will definitely finish Camino in around 40 days. So make your decision :)

The trainning, I think better half year before you come. Base on my experience. I have Knee Injury, so I make regular training every week. I was thinking, it is quiet easy for 20-30 KM per day. But, i still get difficulty at the last part of my trip and the way to the seaside. The main problem is, after lang time everyday, your feet feel very tired. Maybe my bag is too heavy, aroud 20-30 KG. my feet muscle get injuries because of long time overuse. It is not so bad, but i feel painful and walk more and more slowly than before.
So my suggests will be, in you planed time, it is very hot in spain. You need in many case take more water and food, if you want to really walk long distance everyday. You need make a plan, just like first week, just walking, and then next week add weight, and after several week reduce weight, and add back. the trainning should be every day, it will help you improve your durability. The content of trianing canbe combination with strength traing, special for your leg muscle, which will help you very much for you over mountains.

last thing, I want to say, is that, you should use this time to find suitable shoes. Because it is less rain in summer, but it rains. If you are just on the time over the mountains, your shoes might be your safety. The route over mountain in many cases, it is very bad and some parts are very percipitous. If your shoes grip are not good, you might slip, it is very dangerous. But on the way to leon, it is very long flat area, your need a very hard downsurface shoe to protect your feet, because there is no real road, stones are everywhere. I take tow paar shoes, one with very good grip and the other one with strong bottom.
you can use pilgrim service through post to sending one bag to another post office, which can hold there for 15 days for you. So you can count your trip and mail your unnecessary things forward and pick up when you arriving there.

good luck.

I'd say that your bag is waaay to heavy! What all are you carrying? My pack weighs less than 8kg, and that includes water.
hahaha, everything. I planed more trips than camino. So many small staff i can't through away. And i really used most of them, but only several time. I have to say, without them, it make me feels might be uncomfortable, but no damage. I have to save money for long trips and because of my injury knee, sometimes I have to walk slow, which means I walk longer than others, then I have to take more foods and waters, which really help me very much and save more money(because the food in small village are so bad and expensive for me.). But I have to say, it is really heavy.
This is my first time long hirking, So i am actually no experience. And I underrated the heat of Spain, I take more cotton cloth, which is rally comfortable, but after wet, which is more heavy and even washing, you need more strength :) Next time, i will only take two cotten shirt,which for sleeping. For walking, only shirt as more light as possible. :)

I am quiet famous on that time. almost everyone knows I carry a huge bag :)

But I am glad I made it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked the Camino in Sept/Oct of 2015 and plan on returning to do it again in 2017. I learned a lot the first time, will learn a lot the second. I plan on bypassing Paris this next time and fly to Madrid instead. I will spend several days there at the end. I have things I will definitely do differently .... I won't stress so much about getting a bed, it occupied far too much of my time last year. I will take different rain gear, insisted I would not do a poncho last year but this year its the way to go. I used light weight trail runners, they were perfect for me. I will pack a set of "city" clothes so that when I get to Madrid I can ditch my Camino clothes!! I will explore more and do a circle walk around Ponferrada that I had planned to do but was too nervous to do on my own last year.

I'd say that your bag is waaaay too heavy! What all are you carrying? My pack weighs less than 8kg, and that includes water.

But you arent sam. Each to their own. Some people can live out of a day bag, others have needs that require more kit. Not everyone stays in hostels and pensions, some camp/bivvi. Some pack far to much, but you can only make suggestions. For some people half the journey is learning new things, like what not to take.

Admittedly 20-30kg is kind of pushing it out a bit. I thought my load out at 16-18kg was a lot (although it was extremely comfortable once i was walking), but im a really big guy who can lift a lot of weight with no real issue, and work in a job where lifting 20-30kg boxes is normal, so my body is adapted for the weight. If a person sits in an office all day, and does basically very little regular exercise, then they would struggle to carry that same pack. If sam is a person who can carry that load and has done in the past on many trips, then he will know what he is capable of. But nevertheless cutting back a little would be helpful. Its possible to take 2 shorts, 2 t-shirts and a selection of underwear and easily live day to day as long as you have a routine for dealing with washing them. If you take synthetics you can really cut back on weight, but im not one for them, i like cotton and poly cotton blends, and shorts with lots of pockets.

But you arent sam. Each to their own. Some people can live out of a day bag, others have needs that require more kit. Not everyone stays in hostels and pensions, some camp/bivvi. Some pack far to much, but you can only make suggestions. For some people half the journey is learning new things, like what not to take.

Admittedly 20-30kg is kind of pushing it out a bit. I thought my load out at 16-18kg was a lot (although it was extremely comfortable once i was walking), but im a really big guy who can lift a lot of weight with no real issue, and work in a job where lifting 20-30kg boxes is normal, so my body is adapted for the weight. If a person sits in an office all day, and does basically very little regular exercise, then they would struggle to carry that same pack. If sam is a person who can carry that load and has done in the past on many trips, then he will know what he is capable of. But nevertheless cutting back a little would be helpful. Its possible to take 2 shorts, 2 t-shirts and a selection of underwear and easily live day to day as long as you have a routine for dealing with washing them. If you take synthetics you can really cut back on weight, but im not one for them, i like cotton and poly cotton blends, and shorts with lots of pockets.
Sam did say that this was his first time hiking and has a bad knee, so I would stand by my statement that he was carrying too much weight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry, It was in his second post that he mentions experience of planning trips other than the camino and that it is his first time hiking over a long distance (but maybe not hiking full stop).

:/

I walked the Camino in Sept/Oct of 2015 and plan on returning to do it again in 2017. I learned a lot the first time, will learn a lot the second. I plan on bypassing Paris this next time and fly to Madrid instead. I will spend several days there at the end. I have things I will definitely do differently .... I won't stress so much about getting a bed, it occupied far too much of my time last year. I will take different rain gear, insisted I would not do a poncho last year but this year its the way to go. I used light weight trail runners, they were perfect for me. I will pack a set of "city" clothes so that when I get to Madrid I can ditch my Camino clothes!! I will explore more and do a circle walk around Ponferrada that I had planned to do but was too nervous to do on my own last year.
Hey ShellsG, I will be doing my first Camino around the same time - I will be a slow walker and average no more than 20kms a day :) I also plan to walk to Finisterre, so if you see me say hello - I do have an Australian flag patch, Camiga and Slow Walkers badges on my pack :D A little nervous to be walking on my own until Leon where an American friend will join me but super excited all at the same time.;)

Hey ShellsG, I will be doing my first Camino around the same time - I will be a slow walker and average no more than 20kms a day :) I also plan to walk to Finisterre, so if you see me say hello - I do have an Australian flag patch, Camiga and Slow Walkers badges on my pack :D A little nervous to be walking on my own until Leon where an American friend will join me but super excited all at the same time.;)
I spent a lot of energy on being nervous .... and it was all for naught! I think sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the "gotta book a bed" idea but I don't think it is necessary.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for suggestions. I do really feel over 25 KG everyday for whole France Route is a little bit too much. Only few people I met carry as much as I can. Next time i will choose only very light clothes for Hirking. Because I am big, carring clothes sometimes also my burden and normally i like cotton clothes more :) But I do really think I can reduce down to 5-8 KG. I Think not over 15 KG will be quiet easy for me. For others, I think aroud 10KG is ok. otherewise you need take more cash to buy it. I thinks it is also the reason, the people always get stolen and rob

Sam did say that this was his first time hiking and has a bad knee, so I would stand by my statement that he was carrying too much weight.

General questions:
What

I love your question. The training before hand is very important and people have responded to that.

My suggestion for the first several days, especially for your mother (I am in that category), is to walk/hike 45 minutes, take a rest of at least 5 minutes. The graphs of the elevation incline are mostly inaccurate. It was more steaply inclined than I had anticipated. Take many breaths and enjoy

If you can't stay at Orrison, you can set up,with express bouricourt to transport you. I walked 2015 and plan on using them next year. They are great

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

General questions:
I am planning on Walking in September and October of 2017. I'm flying into Paris on September 6 of 2017, and taking the train down to SJPP. If you are planning to be anywhere near the start of the Camino at that time, perhaps we'll see each other! Buen Camino!

Hi: Since it sounds like you have a few extra days before starting from SJPdP, maybe consider backing up a bit along one of the routes in France and "warm up" by walking 3-4 days into SJPdP. That way you would not need to tackle the Pyrenees on Day 1. I did the Route Napoleon after having been walking part of the Le Puy Route, and I think it was certainly a better experience than had I tried it on my first day out.[/QUOT

Hi there
Im flying into Paris, if I wanted to start walking before SJPDP'for 2-3 days where would I start and what accommodation would be available?
Thanks

There are a few different routes that will take you into SJPdP. The one that I am familiar with is the Le Puy route, but the Piemont route and the Voie de la Nive (I believe) also lead into SJPdP. If you were on the Le Puy route, I would suggest starting at Navarrenx which was 4 reasonably short days for me into SJPdP (about 70 km), or you could start at St. Palais which was a two day walk into SJPdP (about 35 km). I liked those days and it would be a good warm up. You would have to check how easy/difficult it is to get to these places from Paris. I can't recall specific accommodation, but the Le Puy route is fairly well travelled, so I don't think you would have a problem. Perhaps others on the Forum will have other suggestions. Bon Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I am leaving St Jean on 25th aug and staying at Orisson /hope to see you along the way .

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back