• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August/September Start Advice

MainelyStina

Chronic Overpacker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPP Starting Aug 21, 2023
Greetings from Historic Gettysburg, Pennsylvania!

I'm looking for a bit of advice on starting my CF from SJPP next year. I had planned to walk my first Camino back in 2020, with an objective to finish by my birthday in Muxia. Because of this, my plan was to start the final week of August/first week of September. Fast forward and the milestone birthday I celebrated in 2020 has passed, and finishing on or around that date isn't as important as it once was.

Looking forward to 2023, I thought I'd try to start on/around Monday, August 28th. However, a couple months back, there was a thread about the influx of pilgrims in September, and it left me questioning my plan. I'm self-employed, so my schedule is fairly flexible, but I'd still like to aim for the fall (just better for my business). So, my question to all of you: would it be better to start a week earlier? Say, around the 21st of August? Would I avoid the September influx? Too hot? Is it preferable to start on a Monday or Tuesday? Are there advantages/disadvantages to certain days of the week? (I know it's busiest on the weekends.)

Full disclosure: I'm a planner, and as flexible as I try to be, I just have the kind of personality that really enjoys planning (maybe a little too much!) With a general idea of how many days I plan on being away, I'm just trying to develop a bit of a framework.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all this. I really appreciate it. I've spent the better part of three years poring over everyone's wonderful advice, guidance, and stories - and I really look forward to my own time on the CF next year (and maybe getting to meet some of you in person)!

Many thanks!

Stina

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
CF this year Aug26, 2022 to Sep25, 2022 from SJPP to Santiago. I was not aware of a September influx, nor did I perceive one. The increase in pilgrims was more influenced by how close to Santiago I was. My opinion is it may not make much of a difference. Same with the day of the week.

Unsolicited advice:
You do not need a sleeping bag, bring a headlight, vaseline/sock liners/socks - I had no blisters, cut your toenails short, mini can of lubricant for squeaky albergue hinges, a small Bluetooth speaker.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We (my wife and I) started August 25 2022. I chose this date primarily be in a slack period of Pilgrims that need to finish by end of summer and before the large numbers of Pilgrims that start the first two week of September.
By starting this date (or about it) we did avoid the influx of Pilgrims and depending on your pace you should stay ahead of most of them.
It probably doesn't matter what day of the week you start, but it can be busier in the cities on weekends rather than weekdays.

If your schedule is flexible and you prefer the autumn, could you depart toward the end of September, in the final week and finish at the end of October or even early November? The weather will still be, for the most part, quite warm when you start, cool/warm in the middle, and cool at the end (though this year saw very pleasant/warm temperatures persist well into November for folks ending in Santiago then.
I began this year in late September and was surprised by how hot 19C felt even at the high points on the Salvador route… dipped into some single digit mornings on the Primitivo around Oct 1…. And finished in temperatures in the mid 20’s from Lugo to Santiago between Oct 6-10….
Temperatures will vary a little from year to year, but I’ve done 3 autumn caminos now, 1 in the height of summer, and one in a shoulder season…. the full autumn has reliably been my favourite.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unsolicited advice:
You do not need a sleeping bag, bring a headlight, vaseline/sock liners/socks - I had no blisters, cut your toenails short, mini can of lubricant for squeaky albergue hinges, a small Bluetooth speaker.

Thank you for the advice - the packing list can always use tweaking!

We (my wife and I) started August 25 2022. I chose this date primarily be in a slack period of Pilgrims that need to finish by end of summer and before the large numbers of Pilgrims that start the first two week of September.
By starting this date (or about it) we did avoid the influx of Pilgrims and depending on your pace you should stay ahead of most of them.
It probably doesn't matter what day of the week you start, but it can be busier in the cities on weekends rather than weekdays.

Thank you for your reply! How did you find the weather? Predictable? I'm used to hot and humid summers here, so not an overly huge concern - but curious. I assume you didn't struggle too much to find accommodations since you were ahead of most of the wave?

If your schedule is flexible and you prefer the autumn, could you depart toward the end of September, in the final week and finish at the end of October or even early November? The weather will still be, for the most part, quite warm when you start, cool/warm in the middle, and cool at the end (though this year saw very pleasant/warm temperatures persist well into November for folks ending in Santiago then.
I began this year in late September and was surprised by how hot 19C felt even at the high points on the Salvador route… dipped into some single digit mornings on the Primitivo around Oct 1…. And finished in temperatures in the mid 20’s from Lugo to Santiago between Oct 6-10….
Temperatures will vary a little from year to year, but I’ve done 3 autumn caminos now, 1 in the height of summer, and one in a shoulder season…. the full autumn has reliably been my favourite.

I'd probably prefer it - for all the reasons you articulated, but unfortunately October is the 2nd busiest month of my business year. I was already kind of stretching it to miss the first week or two of the month, but I don't think it would be wise for me to skip the entire thing. I wish I could push it that far...

Thank you for your advice - I appreciate it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is another thread about crowding on the Camino Frances. I agree with @trecile that a few days earlier than August 28 might be a good time to start in SJPP. Or push it back into October if you don't like heat.

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. I think you and @trecile are definitely helping to steer me to start a bit earlier!

I started this year on Sept 12 and was home by Oct 24. Had no problem at all with lodging availability. I had reserved my first week of albergues months in advance, and then worked on reserving the following week as I walked. And as an older woman traveling alone, I switched from albergues to private rooms where I could find them—staying in a room with five guys and me on one of the top bunks told me I was too old for dorm-style living. ;-)

And loved the weather—warm for the first 3 weeks (hot in the Meseta) but fall-like at the end, with crisp, cool, sunny (then rainy in Galicia) days. I wore shorts most hiking days, and longer pants at night. Buen Camino!

We left SJPDP Aug 29 arrived Santiago Oct 7. We booked in advance up to Pamploma (1st 4 nights) helped a lot. If I was to do it over I'd book in advance to Puenta La Reina. Consider booking a week in advance before hitting Sarria onwards. The bed race from Sarria to Santiago was evident.

As far as weather, we dodged the bullet big time. One truly wet rainy day - of all days it was up O'Cebriero. Meseta - max temps were no more than 80 Deg C, cloudy skies and some gentle wind. It depends on luck and preparation.
Good luck and buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Stina. I feel a kindred as I love the planning phase as well. :) And I live not too far from you in MD. I walked the CF beginning Sept 22 of 2016 - which happened to be my 64th birthday. Arrived in Santiago on November 3rd. Booked ahead only a day or two until Galicia except on Friday and Saturday nights which were popular with locals. Only 3 days of light rain. Temps cooled nicely by early October. You miss the spring colors, the cuckoos and storks but gain the blackberries along the trail, visions of ripening vineyards and sunflower fields. Lovely time to walk. Looking forward to planning another walk..... soon. :)

Thank you for your reply! How did you find the weather? Predictable? I'm used to hot and humid summers here, so not an overly huge concern - but curious. I assume you didn't struggle too much to find accommodations since you were ahead of most of the wave?
The weather was predictable, cool mornings hot afternoons. For me, the most unexpected thing was how late in the morning it got light. Most days it was around 8:15. We made reservations through Puenta la Reina including Orrisson. I would recommend doing that. We then made reservations 2 days out. Mon. for Wed., Tue for Thu etc.. We weren't always able to get the albergue we wanted, but always found a place in the town we wanted. I used a combination of Booking and had a SIM card for my phone (got it in Pamplona) and called place using the Canon Ninja app. I highly recommend that app.
We also bussed for m Burgos to Sarria. In Sarria I made reservations through SdC.
Feel free to reach out and ask any questions here or on DM.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back