• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August weather in Northern Spain

tlepr

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances August 2020
Hi all, I'm thinking of flying out tomorrow from London to Biarritz to begin the Camino Frances. I have one concern...I've got all the equipment but I keep reading about record breaking temperatures in Spain. That's making me wary as, while I'm in good shape, I'm not super tolerant of heat. But people are still completing the camino, right? Of all ages? So I kind of feel I shouldn't let the weather hold me back. I'm in good physical condition and not overweight or anything...I don't know - I'm finding it very hard to make an assessment on this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@tlepr,

If you are prepared for Covid strictures that is first consideration: If so, go.

Second, I walked August 2001 starting in Roncesvalles ending in Santiago.

From point A to B, my black hair became blonde: platinum blonde hairline with blonde to light brown throughout.

That’s how hot August can be.

Buen camino.

Hi all, I'm thinking of flying out tomorrow from London to Biarritz to begin the Camino Frances. I have one concern...I've got all the equipment but I keep reading about record breaking temperatures in Spain. That's making me wary as, while I'm in good shape, I'm not super tolerant of heat. But people are still completing the camino, right? Of all ages? So I kind of feel I shouldn't let the weather hold me back. I'm in good physical condition and not overweight or anything...I don't know - I'm finding it very hard to make an assessment on this.
Maybe walk the Camino del Norte - it will be somewhat cooler along the coast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lots of water stops and some with electrolites included. Some area have partial sun shelter, but others are wide open and if it was over 35' you might regret it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting on the 9th, cycling the Frances from SJPP and have got the same slight worry. I’ll be starting a little earlier, proper hydration (inc electrolyte replenishmeant) avoiding the noonday sun and covering up. Added a few extra days to make sure we are not under pressure time wise. In the current ‘climate’ it’s a challenge relatively easier to manage. Hopefull, I’ll be wishing you a ’Buen Comino’ on the path at some stage.

But people are still completing the camino, right? Of all ages?
Some are, many who have posted on the forum have not. Accommodation shortages and Covid-19 restrictions have led some to abandon their attempts. While there has been an impressive number of pilgrims arriving in Santiago and claiming a compostella most are likely to have been native Spaniards and to have started walking from Sarria not St Jean pd Porte.

If you are prepared for very early starts, and the possibility of having to walk extra kilometres in the afternoon heat in order to find accommodation, you should be fine. Be prepared to find yourself in lock-down for 14 days if any local restrictions are applied. Take a good book or two. Good luck

My advice would be to Go... I walked sections of the Frances during August of the last 2 years... Yes, it’s hot... But very few pilgrims... lots of space in albergues which is important during these Covid times... and definitely lots and lots of water. If it wasn’t for the restrictions here in Ireland re self isolating after returning from Espana I would definitely be on the Frances again this August.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If the worst comes to the worst, can't you just sleep outdoors? Behind a building or something?

Of course. If you are carrying sleeping bag & perhaps a mat for comfort then there will be opportunities to grab some sleep in church porches, unused agricultural buildings and the like. I'll not rehearse the long history of comment on wild camping in Spain. You can use the search facility for that. Just beware that "behind" just about every bush & structure on the Camino Frances is more likely a latrine than a camping ground :confused:

Last edited:
Face masks are mandatory in Biarritz, I suspect the same for Bayonne.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@tlepr,

If you are prepared for Covid strictures that is first consideration: If so, go.

Second, I walked August 2001 starting in Roncesvalles ending in Santiago.

From point A to B, my black hair became blonde: platinum blonde hairline with blonde to light brown throughout.

That’s how hot August can be.

Buen camino.

Hah! My baldy skull can go a lovely brown whilst hitherto unseen hairs gleam like silver on a golden dome! and that was high July some years ago! Walk early, hydrate plenty and wear a hat!

:)

samarkand

Some are, many who have posted on the forum have not. Accommodation shortages and Covid-19 restrictions have led some to abandon their attempts. While there has been an impressive number of pilgrims arriving in Santiago and claiming a compostella most are likely to have been native Spaniards and to have started walking from Sarria not St Jean pd Porte.

If you are prepared for very early starts, and the possibility of having to walk extra kilometres in the afternoon heat in order to find accommodation, you should be fine. Be prepared to find yourself in lock-down for 14 days if any local restrictions are applied. Take a good book or two. Good luck

This has not been the experience of the pilgrims who have stayed with me since July 6th. Of course those who arrived in Villares de Orbigo only have about 260 km left to go. I didn't hear of anyone having problems finding a place to stay.

Restrictions/albergue guidelines apparently vary from place to place but no one has complained to me about them. What I have heard from repeat offenders is that it is very different. What else did they expect?

Call it a day around noon, take a shower and a nap before going out for the menu del dia.
That’s what we did. Get up at 5 am. Start walking at 6 am and stop at 1 pm latest.
kip for an hour in the worst of the heat
Up to wander and have supper in a relaxed way x
you enjoy the whole experience then

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depending on how you feel do not stretch yourself each day. One does not have to cover 20 kms plus everyday. Also people start earlier in the morning to avoid the afternoon heat.
maybe think of it as a different twist to your Camino.Normally August is one of the busiest month. A hat is a Must!
good luck.

Hi fellow pilgrims,am hoping to return next year what ever have put it of since 2016 for different reasons at home and the dreaded virus so i need to return in 2021, as i am not getting any younger and need to strike while the irons hot, it will be my third frances and after may try a different Camino , and just hope next year the dreaded virus has gone .

Normally August is one of the busiest month. A hat is a Must!
good luck.
That's true for the last 100 km from Sarria on the Frances, but the first 600 km or so from SJPdP can be quieter in August than in the really busy months like May and September.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.