• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

August

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Q: Is it too hot in August to walk the Camino Frances?
A: Too hot is a relative statement. Very hot in august in Spain would be 35 to 40 degrees centigrade, or 90 to 100 degrees farenheit. People who live there are accustomed to the heat. Many pilgrims walk the Camino successfully in August

Q: Is it crazy to attempt the entire Camino Frances for your first walk?
A: People living relatively close by walk the camino in stages of one week or two. They take several years to complete the Camino Frances. People living farther away do the whole thing in one trip. Many western europeans walk the entire Camino Frances on their first walk.

You might consider leaving early in the morning and stopping at lunchtime, keeping your distances to what you can fit in in that time. If it is hot it gets really nasty the further you get into the afternoon. I got badly sunburned on my left leg walking into the setting sun on the Le Puy route around 4 pm.
The advantage is you can keep your pack light if you walk during that month as you will only need light clothes and perhaps a fleece or merino in case you get a cool spell. Regards Gitti

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the advice/information. I guess my new question is will anyone from the forum be walking in August. My parents are worried about me walking alone. I guess if I could say, "well some person I never met but found on a Camino forum is walking", then they could feel a little better. Although I don't know how

Hi Chrissy and welcome. If you look in your message box you will see we have sent you a PM.
Buen Camino
Terry and Valerie

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There are lots of people on the frances in August. It can be hot but it is usual for people to start walking at dawn (or before!) and stop by lunchtime before the heat of siesta time gets too much. you can get quite a lot of walking done early morning whilst it's cool.
As for walking the whole way, go for it! Just start out slow if you're not used to it and walk at your own pace. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is it too hot?
Yeah - scorching through the vineyards and on the meseta but you can shade hop during the hottest part of the day!
Is it crazy to do the whole thing your first time?
Sure! Loco - completamente loco!! But, everyone else on the trail in August is loco too so you might as well join the camino loco-motive!
Walking alone?
Nah! Not a chance in August! during a holy year! You'll have other singles falling over themselves to walk with you!
Have a ball!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back