• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aunt and niece (hopefully!) setting off on 23rd August

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
My 12-year old niece and I are setting off on a mini-Camino next week. We're due to fly from Dublin on Thursday 22nd August - the day some of the Ryanair pilots are planning to strike! We're both of an optimistic disposition and if this doesn't work out, we'll come up with a plan B of some sort.

We're very excited about this little adventure. Our rough plan is to walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Puenta la Reina, but as I haven't walked with a child before, it's all very flexible.

If you're on the Camino next weekend, look out for two short people wearing purple and green backpacks!

Nuala y Caoimhe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Enjoy your time together and I wish you both the best. What a wonderful experience you will have together. Buen Camino !

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have fun! Good luck with Ryan Air.:)
You're right @falcon269, it really is a matter of luck. At this point, the strike may or may not happen and if it does, our flight may or may not be affected. Who knows! I've a couple of plan B ideas, but hopefully I won't need to use them.

Enjoy your time together and I wish you both the best. What a wonderful experience you will have together. Been Camino !
Thank you @jumpingin2014. Yes, I'm really looking forward to experiencing the Camino through the eyes of a 12 year-old! I think it will be very memorable for both of us.

I arrive in SJPdP the 21st and begin waking the 23rd. I will look for you. How special for both of you to share this time. Buen Camino
That's great @cherirae, hopefully we'll see you on the trail! Wishing you a Buen Camino.

My 12-year old niece and I are setting off on a mini-Camino next week. We're due to fly from Dublin on Thursday 22nd August - the day some of the Ryanair pilots are planning to strike! We're both of an optimistic disposition and if this doesn't work out, we'll come up with a plan B of some sort.

We're very excited about this little adventure. Our rough plan is to walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Puenta la Reina, but as I haven't walked with a child before, it's all very flexible.

If you're on the Camino next weekend, look out for two short people wearing purple and green backpacks!

Nuala y Caoimhe
Day 1 is as daunting as it looks. Unless you are an avid hiker and can manage 24km in one day, - (16km of it up hill), then staying at Orrison is advisable (8km).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Day 1 is as daunting as it looks. Unless you are an avid hiker and can manage 24km in one day, - (16km of it up hill), then staying at Orrison is advisable (8km).

Thanks @Mahuri, we'll walk to Hunnto when we arrive in Saint Jean and then to Roncesvalles or Espinal the next day. I've done this before and remember that arduous walk to Orrison!

Short people rule!
I love your colors.
Buen camino.
Thank you @nycwalking!

Nuala y Caoimhe
Nuala, I sincerely hope Ryanair does not smash up your plans. What a great start to a new year for your niece, a new school year of course. She will have so much to be proud of when she gets to Pamplona. Give us a ‘live from’ set of posts if you can, I am sure it will be lively.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nuala, I sincerely hope Ryanair does not smash up your plans. What a great start to a new year for your niece, a new school year of course. She will have so much to be proud of when she gets to Pamplona. Give us a ‘live from’ set of posts if you can, I am sure it will be lively.

Thanks @kirkie, I'm getting a bit anxious about the Ryanair situation at this stage. The parties are back in court today - hopefully they'll put us out of our misery later! Caoimhe is packed and ready to go and will be disappointed if we have to postpone our plans.

Just heard what I think is good news, hope I am right, for your sake... high court seems to defend Ryanair...

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. Our flight will go ahead tomorrow, but unfortunately we won’t be on it ☹️. Caoimhe has an injury that needs urgent medical treatment, so our walking plans are shelved for a little while.

It’s disappointing, but it will of course make things even more special when we eventually take our first steps together on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. Our flight will go ahead tomorrow, but unfortunately we won’t be on it ☹. Caoimhe has an injury that needs urgent medical treatment, so our walking plans are shelved for a little while.

It’s disappointing, but it will of course make things even more special when we eventually take our first steps together on the Camino.
I am sure this is as well used up North as in Scotland: what’s for you don’t go by you... hope the niece gets fixed up. I have no doubt that you will find the right time to go with her, Nuala. Best wishes for the medical treatment.

I am sure this is as well used up North as in Scotland: what’s for you don’t go by you... hope the niece gets fixed up. I have no doubt that you will find the right time to go with her, Nuala. Best wishes for the medical treatment.

Thanks @kirkie. You’re right, this will definitely happen when the time is right. N x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. Our flight will go ahead tomorrow, but unfortunately we won’t be on it ☹. Caoimhe has an injury that needs urgent medical treatment, so our walking plans are shelved for a little while
Nuala, I somehow missed this thread, and so reading it was whiplash: excited for the two of you and then...disappointment.
I hope Caoimhe heals quickly so that your adventure together can go ahead when conditions allow.
Buen camino to the two of you!
V

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back