• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussie camino

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Has anyone done the Aussie Camino from Portland (VIC) to Penola (SA), in Australia?
Self-guided or tour? What are your thoughts on it?
How much history/pretty landscapes did you see?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Anamya - A group of us did the Aussie Camino in May 2018. 4 started and 3 finished as one had terrible blisters. The walk is really in commemoration of Sister Mary Mackillop - Australia's only Saint. There's a good website at www.aussiecamino.org. We saw no others on the 10 days that we took - self guided. We stayed in Portland and arranged transport to pick up/deliver us for the first 4 stages to Nelson. Then we stayed in booked accommodation (usually a hotel) at the end of the other stages. All booked before we commenced. Part of it is along the beach (walking into the wind). If you PM me I'll provide more information. Buen Aussie Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anyone done the Aussie Camino from Portland (VIC) to Penola (SA), in Australia?
Hi Anamya. I walked this route in April, 2016. There were 9 of us. We organised a friend to drive a rental car as backup between Portland and Nelson. We used Luke Mills’ guidebook, but organised everything ourselves.

Hi Anamya. I walked this route in April, 2016. There were 9 of us. We organised a friend to drive a rental car as backup between Portland and Nelson. We used Luke Mills’ guidebook, but organised everything ourselves.
The landscape is stunning along the coast. Then, after Port MacDonnell you head north through rolling hills. I thought the walk was beautiful.

The landscape is stunning along the coast. Then, after Port MacDonnell you head north through rolling hills. I thought the walk was beautiful.
If you are prepared to camp between Cape Bridgewater and Nelson, you won’t need a backup vehicle. There are camping spots with water and toilets. Also, the manager at Cape Bridgewater Lodge will do pick up and drop off if you organise it with him.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are prepared to camp between Cape Bridgewater and Nelson, you won’t need a backup vehicle. There are camping spots with water and toilets. Also, the manager at Cape Bridgewater Lodge will do pick up and drop off if you organise it with him.

I'm usually not a big fan of camping, but this is very good information. I will be in Melbourne for work later this week and will see if I can stop by the Mary McKillop Centre to get one of Luke's guides :)

Just got the guidebook ($15) , 2 passports ($5 each) and our first stamps at the Heritage Centre in Melbourne. Very interesting read, it is a strong contender for a next camino :)

Hi Anamya, I was planning to walk this year. Checked out the beach campsites last week. Surprised to see flushing toilets and water! I live near Penola and have the luxury of walking a Camino that takes me home! The weather has turned cold and wet this week and wet is normal here from autumn to spring. I am planning to walk in a couple of weeks if that does not work out will wait till next year as I will be off to another Camino in France or Spain in August. Cheers Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just got the guidebook ($15) , 2 passports ($5 each) and our first stamps at the Heritage Centre in Melbourne. Very interesting read, it is a strong contender for a next camino :)
If you do the walk, you receive a certificate like the one in Santiago. We were also given refreshments when we arrived at the centre in Penola.

The weather has turned cold and wet this week and wet is normal here from autumn to spring.

Very useful info, thanks! :D We are not sure when we are going, probably will have to break it in two trips as we have not much leave left.
If we break it, where is a good point to stop and then restart, in terms of logistics? Nelson? Port MacDonnel?

If you do the walk, you receive a certificate like the one in Santiago. We were also given refreshments when we arrived at the centre in Penola.

Oohhh, that would be quite adorable :) Not that we are seeking certificates, but it is always a nice way to mark a nice experience. In general, did you enjoy it? What were the easiest and hardest aspects of it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Steven B

Hey Steven, how did it go? No issue with border closures? Did you do it with a group?

Hi Anamya,

No problems did it solo and walked all the way including the 50km+ of beach walking. I could cross the border as I live near Penola and have a cross border community permit. I posted each section on my facebook page link below
Hi Steven,
Only just noticed this thread about the Aussie Camino. Glad you enjoyed it. We did it in April, 2015 and also had a great time. We actually live in Cape Bridgewater, so wish we had known you were going passed the door, you could have given us a shout and dropped in!
Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Blow me down, I didn't know there was an Aussie Camino!
And here I am, trying to create my own .... :( ....:)

Attachments

• IMG_1.JPG
    IMG_1.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2.JPG
    IMG_2.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3.JPG
    IMG_3.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4.JPG
    IMG_4.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5.JPG
    IMG_5.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7.JPG
    IMG_7.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8.JPG
    IMG_8.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9.JPG
    IMG_9.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_10.JPG
    IMG_10.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It would be good to have a longer Australian Camino with towns every 20km or so. Difficult around here. Maybe on the East Coast

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will put it on the list!!

I was going to walk the Salvado in August ths year, but it got cancelled s so many other plans!
Hopefully I can do the Aussie Camino early next year :)

Credit must go to Luke Mills for establishing the Aussie Camino. He has worked tirelessly since 2013 to get the route recognised and it certainly should be promoted internationally. I'm not sure if Ivar is familiar with it but Luke would be a fantastic person to interview (if it hasn't already been done) - I'm not on the Forum very often. Luke has also interviewed pilgrims for his Coffee & Camino podcasts which are available online. We had the pleasure of meeting with Luke in Melbourne early last year to record our episode, having walked the French Camino, the Spanish Camino and Portuguese from Porto to Santiago. Though I haven't done the Aussie Camino yet, I've just learned that Luke no longer hosts these walks - the reigns have been handed over to a few trekking/travel groups. If you're not familiar with the Aussie Camino, take a look online at http://www.aussiecamino.org.
Buen Camino from DownUnder

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Credit must go to Luke Mills for establishing the Aussie Camino. He has worked tirelessly since 2013 to get the route recognised and it certainly should be promoted internationally. I'm not sure if Ivar is familiar with it but Luke would be a fantastic person to interview (if it hasn't already been done) - I'm not on the Forum very often. Luke has also interviewed pilgrims for his Coffee & Camino podcasts which are available online. We had the pleasure of meeting with Luke in Melbourne early last year to record our episode, having walked the French Camino, the Spanish Camino and Portuguese from Porto to Santiago. Though I haven't done the Aussie Camino yet, I've just learned that Luke no longer hosts these walks - the reigns have been handed over to a few trekking/travel groups. If you're not familiar with the Aussie Camino, take a look online at http://www.aussiecamino.org.
Buen Camino from DownUnder

We agree with you Bronte. We did the Aussie Camino in 2015 under the auspices of Luke Mills.
He has done an amazing job establishing it and in some ways we are a bit sad that he’s no longer running it. But completely understand why. A group organised by a Ballarat travel company has just finished in Penola yesterday. We had one of the group stay with us in Cape Bridgewater ( which is on the Aussie Camino as well as the Great South West Walk)for three nights at the start of the walk from Portland, Victoria.
We have also done Coffee & Camino with Luke and look forward to hearing yours Bronte when it’s uploaded later this year.
If you decide to do the Aussie Camino, you must look us up in Cape Bridgewater when you are here.😊
Buen Camino
Anne & Pat

We agree with you Bronte. We did the Aussie Camino in 2015 under the auspices of Luke Mills.
He has done an amazing job establishing it and in some ways we are a bit sad that he’s no longer running it. But completely understand why. A group organised by a Ballarat travel company has just finished in Penola yesterday. We had one of the group stay with us in Cape Bridgewater ( which is on the Aussie Camino as well as the Great South West Walk)for three nights at the start of the walk from Portland, Victoria.
We have also done Coffee & Camino with Luke and look forward to hearing yours Bronte when it’s uploaded later this year.
If you decide to do the Aussie Camino, you must look us up in Cape Bridgewater when you are here.😊
Buen Camino
Anne & Pat
Thanks for the offer Anne & Pat - I'll have to Google where Cape Bridgewater is. I'll keep an eye/ear out for your Coffee & Camino podcast. Ours has already been uploaded as Episode 6 - it was wonderful reliving our walks with Luke.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the offer Anne & Pat - I'll have to Google where Cape Bridgewater is. I'll keep an eye/ear out for your Coffee & Camino podcast. Ours has already been uploaded as Episode 6 - it was wonderful reliving our walks with Luke.
Buen Camino
Ours is actually Episode 4. We have actually listened to yours but didn’t realise it was you.:)
Episode 5 is with a Camino friend of ours, who we first met at Sobrado dos Monxes towards the end of our Camino del Norte in 2018. She has visited us here in Australia since then.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ours is actually Episode 4. We have actually listened to yours but didn’t realise it was you.:)
Episode 5 is with a Camino friend of ours, who we first met at Sobrado dos Monxes towards the end of our Camino del Norte in 2018. She has visited us here in Australia since then.
Buen Camino
Thank you for letting me know. I will definitely listen to your podcast ... and the others as well. It is wonderful that Luke makes the time to record these. I am keeping the Aussie Camino on my list and have even considered the one in WA. Did you walk the Aussie Camino with Luke as your guide? I'm getting the impression from what I've read recently, that you can do it as a self-guided walk but I haven't really looked at the details. I know Luke's costings were based on Melbourne departures and as we live in SA, we would like to begin at Portland, making our own way there. I'll definitely check it out.
Yes, firm friends made on these walks.
Buen Camino

Hi Anamya,

No problems did it solo and walked all the way including the 50km+ of beach walking. I could cross the border as I live near Penola and have a cross border community permit. I posted each section on my facebook page link below
Hi Steve, from Kyogle....am planning walking the Aussie Camino end Jan/early Feb....I am not a fan of sand walking so was wondering how it would be if I omitted the section from Swan Lake Camp to Monibeong Camp? Also, are all the stage track heads/ends accessible to a shuttle. I have just found this forum and checked out your pics which are delightful. Thanks, Marg

Hi Anamya,

No problems did it solo and walked all the way including the 50km+ of beach walking. I could cross the border as I live near Penola and have a cross border community permit.
Hi Steven
Hope you can help me with some info on this Camino. I'm based in Adelaide and...
was wondering how you got to Portland from Penola to start the Aussie Camino back to Penola?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back