• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussie clothing for first timers

Mares63

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2016)
My husband and I are 'experiencing' the portuguese comino in mid May. It is the first time in our lives that we have ever walked any distance that didn't involve a dog at the end of a leash. The last month has involved a lot of Firsts. My first walking shoes, pacer poles, and yesterday, my very first back pack in my 50 plus years!!! All of these decisions were made possible by hours of trawling through this forum. It's completely addictive, I've loved reading all the different and varied opinions on all subjects.
My problem now is final clothing. Being from inland Queensland I'm able to access some of the brands mentioned here but I walk into Anaconda, Katmandu and other large camping retailers and I'm completely bemused by it all. So I leave. There has been mention here of fleece 100? And wind and water resistant jackets, but which one? I know personal choice is paramount, but I'm drowning and our Anacondo has next to no retail assistance. Which is why I've come here. Could some fellow Aussies please point me to some tried and true top layers so I can just go in and buy them. Quite happy in this instance just to do what I'm told. Also I was wondering if anyone knows if the camping shop in Tui sells the Altus atmospheric, I've been on their web site but couldn't find them, or else somewhere in Barcelona, we have a couple of days there when we first arrive in Spain. Thank you for your patience with such a newbie, look forward to your advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
here has been mention here of fleece 100? And wind and water resistant jackets

Hi, and I hope you can cope with someone from across the ditch giving some suggestions to my cousins on the West Island.

You could not do much better than getting an online copy of "Pilgrim Tips & Packing List" by S Yates with Daphne Hnatiuk. @SYates is a regular contributor to this forum and her book is a a good starting point as to what you will need, and more importantly what you will not need. As she says, that part of the world is quite well developed and most towns will be able to supply anything you may find you later need.

The contributor in a recent post said he used the Noah's Ark principle, just two of all clothing: wear one, put one in the pack. I am not quite so minimalist: I have three of my clothing. Three pair of socks, three pair of underwear, three tops (2 short sleeve and 1 long). Many people swear by merino tops (as I do) and Kathmandu have some but lookout for cotton mixed: slow drying.

Somewhere on the Forum you may find the temperature range for each month. The first time I came to Brisbane was early July and I was quickly shedding outer layers, while the locals were complaining of the cold (it was nearly 20 C). That aside, you are unlikely to experience
cold except at night when your are inside: both your hostel and your sleeping bag. The worst problem will be rain. There are many regular threads about the virtues of rain jackets (lightweight but can be clammy and generate internal rain, aka perspiration) as opposed to ponchos. I am a poncho fan. I have one folded and placed in the external pocket on the back of my pack. It weighs about 160 gram.

I hope I have covered the main points you raised. Sorry I can't help directly with retailers.

If you had some other specific questions I would be happy to consider them.

PS: my experience comes from much walking (more than 3,000 km, over the past four years) plus much tramping in the hills in my region in an earlier age.

Last edited:
And wind and water resistant jackets, but which one?

I bought this from Kathmandu early last year and wore it in UK and Spain. I am very happy with it. It is very light but a little short.

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/jackets/rainwear/orcus-jacket-men-denim-5.html

My rain pants are Berghaus cheapies: can't remember where I got them.

I buy merino from:

blankclothing.com.au

And other stuff from:

wildearth.com.au

I buy most of my stuff on the web.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...My first walking shoes...
Bom Dia, Mares63! How exciting, you have purchased your first pair of hiking boots. I'll never forget that feeling. It's 15 years since I bought my first pair and since then I have hiked the soles and uppers off many.

...My problem is now final clothing...
For me, less is best. Unlike Alwyn, I am a 'one or none of everything' pilgrim. I found the Altus poncho heavy & space consuming when not in use. I ditched mine. I now carry a 2 dollar plastic poncho and/or an X large garbage bag with neck & sides split. It's surprisingly elegant...

Wishing you a grand Camino and many blessings,
Ultreia e Suseia!

Lovingkindness

Last edited:
@Mares63, if you are comfortable doing online shopping and know your clothing sizes, have you considered ordering from Mont, Paddy Pallin, Mountain Designs, or one of the other companies more focused on the hiking/trekking markets. There are also some specialty retailers like Backpacking Light (www.backpackinglight.com.au) in Melbourne that also have staff familiar with the demands of the Camino who might be able to help over the phone, and who have online ordering.

I am a 'one or none of everything' pilgrim

Yes, I also for everything except clothing. By being single minded over the past few months I've take about 3 kg out of my pack and I feel better for it. And my reference to three was for the relatively lightweight sock, underwear and tops only. As someone has posted in the past few days, having three of these can mean doing a wash every second day rather than daily. And, if I needed to ditch 200 gram, one set would go.

I now carry a 2 dollar plastic poncho

What works is what works. My poison might be your meat.

I've tried the 2 dollar plastic: the ones I had were very flimsy and light, easily blown about when trying to put them on and did not go over the pack.

I've also tried a more substantial plastic affair from Hampton Court Palace. It weighed about 300 grams, the domes kept snapping apart, and it did not go over the pack.

I've now got a dual purpose poncho/ground sheet from zPacks and it weighs about 160 grams. It is designed to go over the pack. It is also the groundsheet for a two person tent, meaning it is roomy. It has a certain stiffness so is easy to put on, I often keep my arms inside and, being of generous proportions, it has built in air conditioning.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wonderful @Mares63 ! You are on your way. The trouble with this forum is that there are tooooo many choices. Don't fret though - no-one gets it perfectly right, and no-one gets it completely wrong, so you will be fine. Even the most experienced make slight adjustments with each walk. Gear improves, our experiences vary, weather is fickle. Anything you really need you can buy in Spain.

For what it is worth, here's my go-to clothing list: 2 bras (I use my ordinary ones), 2 pairs silk knickers (luxury I know, but they don't rub, feel good and dry quickly), 1 pair silk boxer shorts (as extra undies or to sleep in), 1 merino navy singlet (can be worn as outer wear in hot weather, as a layer in cold, or sleeping top), 1 black merino t shirt, 1 longsleeve 70 % silk/merino mix top (good for sun protection worn in hot weather, or as a layer in cold), a buff, 1 pair of thermal longjohns (silk merino mix or icebreaker merino or polypropelene - all are fine) plus walking trousers or a Macabi skirt. Plus my Altus (yes, you can buy them in Barcelona; and El Cortes Ingles, which is the ubiquitous large Spanish department store, sells a similar product under a different brand name), plus Sealskinz socks (waterproof - but I wear hiking sandals so you don't need those) and some cheap soft fuzzy striped bedsocks bought from any $2 shop (I look a treat at night). Plus an umbrella. In spring and autumn I add a fine wool jumper and Sealskinz gloves.

If you decide on a poncho/Altus my suggestion is not to buy in Oz - wait til you get to Spain.

My husband and I are 'experiencing' the portuguese comino in mid May. It is the first time in our lives that we have ever walked any distance that didn't involve a dog at the end of a leash. The last month has involved a lot of Firsts. My first walking shoes, pacer poles, and yesterday, my very first back pack in my 50 plus years!!! All of these decisions were made possible by hours of trawling through this forum. It's completely addictive, I've loved reading all the different and varied opinions on all subjects.
My problem now is final clothing. Being from inland Queensland I'm able to access some of the brands mentioned here but I walk into Anaconda, Katmandu and other large camping retailers and I'm completely bemused by it all. So I leave. There has been mention here of fleece 100? And wind and water resistant jackets, but which one? I know personal choice is paramount, but I'm drowning and our Anacondo has next to no retail assistance. Which is why I've come here. Could some fellow Aussies please point me to some tried and true top layers so I can just go in and buy them. Quite happy in this instance just to do what I'm told. Also I was wondering if anyone knows if the camping shop in Tui sells the Altus atmospheric, I've been on their web site but couldn't find them, or else somewhere in Barcelona, we have a couple of days there when we first arrive in Spain. Thank you for your patience with such a newbie, look forward to your advice.

Hi Mares63
My partner and I are starting from Lisboa in April and walking the coastal route to Porto. We may head inland from there. We have been researching much as you have been. The conclusions that we have reached are merino wool products are best and Icebreaker the best brand but expensive. I have a Mountain design rain jacket and Cross golf waterproof trousers. Both are breathable. From the climate information that I have found I expect to be walking in a fair bit of rain and wind off the Atlantic can be rather cool at that time of the year. The other fantastic item I have found from the USA is "purple rain" hiking skirts. They have been fantastic on my training hikes.

Buen Camino
Lisa

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you can get Icebreaker gear on discount it's definitely worthwhile. I recommend shopping around for discontinued lines (there's an online shop here in the Netherlands that has a lot of stuff at 30-50% discount).

Hi Mares63,
If you can get to Brisbane before you go, there are quite a few hiking shops in Fortitude Valley. A very lightweight fleece is important. Also merino t-shirts are great. I got my last one at Aldi for $12! ( Still in good condition after 1600km). So, you don't necessarily have to pay big prices. I can't do without my Altus poncho. It has been invaluable. Noticed lots of people last year walking in leggings - very cheap and lightweight. Will use them myself next camino.
Sharon

Apart from some light weight Merrell walking boots and silk bag liner I don't buy anything special to do the Camino with. I don't use the ultra cheap panchos prefering the 20 pound (money) ones as they are a bit more substantial. The last two times that i walked my pack was sub 5 kg which made it a delight. This time however (June) i will be going on a less walked Camino and so am going to carry a bivi bag in case i have to kip outside for the night, mind you that's only a kg extra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Mares63.... Congratulations !! You've done well. You've heard from the vets. My two cents will be: KEEP IT LIGHT. You get what you need when you do. I walk with 6-7 kilos in a 35L Berghaus backpack. And even so... I find I keep adding things I could do without. You'll do fine. Buen Camino :) and may The Holy Spirit guide you.

Thank you everybody for your feedback. Much appreciated. Sorry about the delay, I've had house guests. Was wondering Kanga where you get the silk underwear from and also was wondering what the benefits are of wearing a skirt, I know it's not to make a fashion statement, there must be a practical reason. I understand Patchs comment about not buying anything new, but I really have nothing at all, mot even a pair of shorts! My husband keeps telling me it's a lot of different stuff for just a hundred Kms. After this practice run, and with all the gear, there may be no stopping us! Thank you all again.

Hi Mares63. Great to see some more Queenslanders heading to a Camino. I bought most of my gear from Kathmandu and Globe Trekker here in Brisbane for my April/May 2015 Camino Frances. I didn't walk the Meseta that trip, but was very happy with my gear. Happy to help in any way I can. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Mares63 my silk undies come from New Zealand on sale here - not bought specifically for the camino but took them with me on the Norte and found they worked. It really is worth checking what you already have before buying stuff - my tops are never specially purchased but out of the wardrobe. But that may also be a two way thing - I now tend to look for ordinary clothing that is camino appropriate - what works on camino also works at home.

As for the hiking skirt, I have two, one a cheapie from Katmandu (a whole $10 on sale) and the other a Macabi. Both are supplex nylon, cottony soft but quick drying. The Macabi is not available in Australia and the $40 freight makes the cost buying from the US prohibitive. I was lucky to get one second hand from another forum member. I probably won't take the Katmandu again; it does not have pockets and I find good pockets with security zips essential for passport and wallet - always on me. The Macabi has superb pockets, possibly its best feature. If I could find the fabric here I'd make another similar but so far I haven't been able to source it.

The brand of hiking pants I prefer, and as an alternative to the Macabi, is the Mont. Easily purchased here. Although not as good as the Macabi the pockets are adequate; quite deep, and accessible wearing a pack, and with a security inner zip. The waist has a belt which is essential because I always lose weight. I sew on a tab and put studs on the legs so I can roll them up. Some people love zip offs - I don't like the feel of the zip as I walk but its an individual thing.

wondering what the benefits are of wearing a skirt

It's my Scottish side coming out.

A thread in December discussed kilts. In that discussion @Viranani offered the unisex longyi. No pockets. Because of the way it is folded in front if offers good freedom of leg movement. It doubles as towel. If worn from the waist it minimises sunburn.

The trick seems to be getting cotton that is light enough to dry quickly and is also opaque.

On our first camino we all (two parents, one grandpa, eight kids) just wore clothes that we had at home. Anything from leggings to denim shorts, crocheted cotton sunhats, heavy raincoats......all the things you're not meant to take.....and we survived!
(When we decided to do 1,500km we invested in some fast-drying lightweight gear, a lot of it picked up at thrift shops)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Maree, I am from SE Qld and also doing my first Camino this year. April/May. I have a Mont brand Gortex rain coat I will take on the Camino. (I purchased this from K2 in fortitude Valley Brisbane years ago.) I have a lightweight 100 micron black zip up fleece jacket from Kathmandu it is also a few years old and well used. Under these I have a choice of a thermal top and or quick dry Tshirt. (Macpac and Kathmandu brand). I have Mountain Designs, Columbia and NorthFace quick dry pants (will pick 2 out of these 3 to take.) 3 X undies, 3 X socks and 2 bras. 36 litre back pack. Can't wait to hike in a cooler climate. Training is hot work at the mo eh.
Hope this helps
Buen Camino

Can't wait to hike in a cooler climate. Training is hot work at the mo eh.
I hear you, Camino Ky. So looking forward to cool, even cold weather in Europe. I think the older I get the less I like our Queensland summers. Buen Camino.

Hi Maree,
I was in the same situation as you two years ago...never hiked anywhere and only backpacked in Europe in the 80's. I took 3 x Michelle Bridges Tshirts (they breath well, look OK and cost about $25 from Big W), 3 x Black lycra knee length exercise shorts (2 were MB so again cheap at about $35 from memory), 2 x exercise bras, 3 x jockey boyleg 'Parisienne' undies from Myer (no chaffing to report), a 'Columbia' lightweight fleece and a 'Columbia' spray jacket (both bought off 'Brandsexclusive' online sale for about $50 each). I had The North Face hiking shoes and Teva sandals, ended up wearing the sandals from Burgos due to blisters which were probably from the socks, they were hiking socks but can't remember the brand. I bought a $2 poncho when I had a big day of rain coming into Burgos, the wind shredded it so it ended up being ceremoniously dumped in a dumpster on the outskirts. I prefer a poncho as it was still warm on the day it rained so I kept dry but in the lycra shorts underneath I didn't overheat. Since coming back from the Camino I have gone a bit gaga and done Hinchenbrook Island, The Overland Track and am doing the Great Ocean Walk in a couple of months so have invested in some serious technical hiking gear, a lot of which I have purchased online from REI in the US but I feel none of it is 'necessary' on the Camino, and you are not going to a third world country, you can buy stuff in Spain :). I will be doing The Le Puy route in August-Sept this year and will probably still take a similar kit as last time. I did find that 'Smartwool' socks with Smartwool liners worked for me on H.I & T.O.T so will be sticking with that combo, but that's all a personal choice. I should say the advantage of all of the clothes I took are they are light (and cheap). May I suggest if you are confused re 'weights' of fleece etc go on Katmandu (and other websites) you can usually 'filter' your choices down to show the tings you are looking for then you can go into the shop and know what you are looking for.
Buen Camino! :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Fellow Qlder,
So much great advice here you are now spoilt for choice! Most of my 'Camino' specific gear seems to have come from Kathmandu (I have no vested interests in the company) simply because that's all I have locally to source and prefer not to buy clothing online. If you keep it simple you can't fail, so pack up and step out.
Enjoy every step with much metta.

Hi Maree, I am from SE Qld and also doing my first Camino this year. April/May. I have a Mont brand Gortex rain coat I will take on the Camino. (I purchased this from K2 in fortitude Valley Brisbane years ago.) I have a lightweight 100 micron black zip up fleece jacket from Kathmandu it is also a few years old and well used. Under these I have a choice of a thermal top and or quick dry Tshirt. (Macpac and Kathmandu brand). I have Mountain Designs, Columbia and NorthFace quick dry pants (will pick 2 out of these 3 to take.) 3 X undies, 3 X socks and 2 bras. 36 litre back pack. Can't wait to hike in a cooler climate. Training is hot work at the mo eh.
Hope this helps
Buen Camino
My sister and I are also from SE Qld, doing our first Camino with a Melbourne friend. Walking today around the Burleigh headlands was a killer in the heat and humidity!

My sister and I are also from SE Qld, doing our first Camino with a Melbourne friend. Walking today around the Burleigh headlands was a killer in the heat and humidity!
Too hot and humid to walk today dtippett. When do you head overseas? Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps we could organize a 'training' wander around Toowoomba, where the humidity is not quite so abysmal...!

Hi dtippett, awe yes the heat and humidity is horrible, I have temporarily suspended training opting for some aircon. Hope it cools down soon, I am keen to resume. When do you all head off? I am walking with a friend and 1 day after we head off my sister and another friend will play catch up. We start 5 April :D

Perhaps we could organize a 'training' wander around Toowoomba, where the humidity is not quite so abysmal...!
That could be fun :D a pre Camino gathering.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Mares63,
If you can get to Brisbane before you go, there are quite a few hiking shops in Fortitude Valley. A very lightweight fleece is important. Also merino t-shirts are great. I got my last one at Aldi for $12! ( Still in good condition after 1600km). So, you don't necessarily have to pay big prices. I can't do without my Altus poncho. It has been invaluable. Noticed lots of people last year walking in leggings - very cheap and lightweight. Will use them myself next camino.
Sharon
Hi Sharon
I am keen to know where you got your 'very lightweight fleece' and if you could recommend one please?
I have been looking and looking and just can't decide. They all seem so expensive!
I'm also thinking that a jacket would be preferable?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Carol

Hi Sharon
I am keen to know where you got your 'very lightweight fleece' and if you could recommend one please?
I have been looking and looking and just can't decide. They all seem so expensive!
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Carol

Carol, seems in Australia you can get some very nice used wool clothing. (charity shop)
If you can find a lightweight pullover wool sweater, extra large size, you can put it in a hot washing machine and hot dryer (watch it closely) and felt it.
It is then as warm as any fleece, and waterproof as well.
I love doing this - it's my favorite piece of clothing, and very warm.

@auldies I'd take a fine merino cardigan or jumper in preferance to fleece any day. Lighter, warm when wet, wonderful wicking properties.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sharon
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Carol
Hi auldies. For what it's worth I bought my lightweight merino fleece from Kathmandu. (I actually bought two, but sensibly only took one.) It turned out to be one of the most versatile bits of gear I had (walking in April/May). I also used a lightweight, waterproof jacket which proved to be plenty of protection for me. Just as an aside, I can strongly recommend compression tights as a base layer. Buen Camino.

Aldi are selling 90% merino 10% silk cardigans at the moment for $30. I bought three! Not sure how well they will wear but they feel divine.

Thank you all. They are very helpful suggestions.
I love the idea of the merino and silk combination.
I'll definitely be checking out all the ideas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Anniesantiago it's the German discount supermarket. They don't sell online, and they don't keep a line of stock. Each week they bring in special merchandise (it could be anything), and they sell out within a few days - sometimes hours, depending on what it is. Which is why I jumped in and bought three of these cardigans while they were available. I mentioned it in case any of our Australian members were interested - my local store still had a few left yesterday but they might all be gone today.

Annie,
As Kanga noted Aldi is a wide chain of German discount supermarkets. Similar to Dia in Spain these are widely found throughout the world including in Europe Belgium, France and Spain. You might easily spot and shop in one while on your camino. Their specials change weekly and offer especially good value.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My goodness, I've been so caught up reading other threads the last couple of weeks I didn't realise this was still going. Kanga, devastated to miss out on the Aldi cardis, I'll dash around this afternoon and see if ours have any left, with the 36 to 40 degree days we've been having I can't imagine they were running out the door. Could be wrong. That also makes me think that 'daddy long legs' should wait a bit longer before trekking up to Toowoomba as the weather is certainly hotter than it should be. Though the 'Peak to Park ' is on next week, that could be a good reason to visit. Thank you again to everyone for the great suggestions, it's made everything so much easier and more enjoyable.
Mares
@auldies I'd take a fine merino cardigan or jumper in preferance to fleece any day. Lighter, warm when wet, wonderful wicking properties.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.