• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussie first timer - rail travel advice

davo77

Hi,

I've had a bit of a troll through the forum, but couldn't see a posting on my query. I will be walking the Camino Frances in June / July 2007. I am seeking information on travelling from Paris to the starting point of St Jean Pied de Port. My flight takes me directly to Paris (Charles de Gaulle international). I am now planning the Paris - border stage, and am intending to take the TGV train from CDG airport to Bayonne, and then a local train to St Jean. Has anyone recently completed this stage? Any suggestions? Is it necessary to pre book the train ticket, or can it be purchased on the day? All help gratefully accepted. Dave

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
French TGV trains are book-in-advance with reserved seat trains so better use http://www.tgv.com; typically reservations open 90 days before date of travel (though it might be 120) and if you are want a specific train you should get cracking

No need to book in advance for the local train to SJPP

I am planning the same route and after researching it decided to fly from Paris to Biarritz rather than take the train. I found an Air France flight that makes a good connection with my arrival in Paris and gets me into Biarritz much earlier than I would get there on the train. The cost is slightly more but worth it to me since it saves the hassle of going into Paris, changing stations, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know if they've sorted this glitch out now but a few years ago I almost missed my train when I'd booked the TGV in advance.

I got to Gare Montparnasse, and tried to get my ticket from the machine - they ask you to insert the credit card used to make the booking. The machine wouldn't recognise my (non-French) card, so I had to go to the ticket office, queue, explain myself, explain myself again, and ended up running the length of the station to catch the train.

So - either leave plenty of time, or make sure you go straight to the ticket office and don't use the machines.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's easiest to book TGV tickets through http://www.voyages-sncf.com (French Rail), click on the Union jack at bottom of page. Bookings cannot be made more than 90 days in advance.

You'll find that there are really good specials called PREMS, often 1/2 price, when booking on SNCF. And the beauty of booking TGVs here is that usually you can print your own ticket at home.

Thanks for the info - new query re swiss army knife

Thanks for all the replies, it has made the planning that much easier. As I have quite a bit of time up my sleeve, I'm happy to transit via rail rather than air, and with TGV running from CDG airport it should be a pretty painless process.
I have just heard on the rumour mill that TGV prohibits carrying a bladed implement like a swiss army knife in baggage on the train. I'm rather attached to mine mainly due to the scissors and can opener which I use almost daily when travelling, and don't want to lose it. Has anyone any experience with this? Being an aussie we don't have any such security issues with trains, only air travel. I've checked the TGV website, but couldn't find anything on the topic.
Thanks for any advice on the query.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
SCNF bookings

I booked our train tickets online and they post the tickets to you (to the UK at least) at no additional cost. They arrived very quickly. I understand they need cancelling at the station when we get there. But, easier I think, than waiting to collect them at the station - especially since time may be tight.

However, I am worried about this news about knives etc. Does anyone know any more?

there's never been any baggage check on TGV trains that I've been on. It's possible they might introduce something temporarily due to a specific security alert, but over the longer term it would be completely impractical.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back