• Some parts of the forum is not leading as it should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Aussie Mark's Photos of the Camino - Sept/Oct 2012.

ausmarko

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012) Camino Portuguese (2013) & the Norte to come (2019)
I started my Camino in SJDPP on September 11th 2012 and finished in
Santiago on 8th October. I have started to upload my photos from the trip
and will have videos as well in the future.

I was trying to capture some of the symbols of the Camino as well as the scenery, architecture, walkers etc. I found the iPhone a great tool for capturing quick symbols and graphic elements (intended for a book) while my 35mm Nikon was used for everything else and will allow huge prints. I was lucky enough to have great weather on the 11th crossing the Pyrenees so managed to get some panoramas with great light. A couple of panos up already but more of these through 2012, early 2013.

Thanks and hello to everyone I met along the way.
A great bunch of people from all around the world.

http://markhiggins.com.au/galleries/camino-de-santiago/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark!

We met on the Camino - thanks for lending us your power adaptor! Beautiful photos - I look forward to seeing more. What app/s did you use on your iPhone? Cos my iPhone photos don't look like that! ;-)

Penny

Thanks Penny, I remember - Barbadello. I hope your trip is going well. You must have hundreds of great photos by now and seeing some remarkable places. I use hipstamatic and various lens/film combos depending on the subject. Really great app and I have more fun using this than the Nikon:)
Good travelling and have a safe trip home.
Mark

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the comments Lise. I took a lightweight +12C bag and was fine the whole camino. Most Albergues had blankets for the odd cold night (Foncebadon on the Mountain) but the first two weeks were very hot so I found i kicked it off during the night. Hard to say what the weather conditions will be like but I don't really feel the cold so I thought I would be fine with a summer weight bag.

Mark, the website link doesn't work. :(

agnesczaj said:
Mark, the website link doesn't work. :(

It worked for me but takes a few seconds to load.
Great photos.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Love the pictures Mark. Helps to build the excitement for my Camino in September 2013. Saws me some of the amazing sites that lay ahead for me. Thanks for sharing. Carla

It worked today. Amazing photos.
I feel like I have seen you on the Way. I started on September 14th of SJPP and finished in Finisterre on October 24th. :)

Hi Mark,

Great photos. I'm doing my trip in May 2014 and am a keen amateur photog. I've got a Canon 600D. Will that be too heavy to carry?

Thanks

Pete

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Redrush said:
....I've got a Canon 600D. Will that be too heavy to carry?...

Hello Pete,
Welcome to the Forum. There are a number of interesting conversations on the Forum about cameras and which one to take on Camino. If you click on Check if you question has been asked before and put in the word 'camera' you'll discover some of these conversations.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Redrush said:
Thanks Mark. Will do. 8)

Redrush, sorry, I'm not Mark. A couple of days have passed since you posted your question. I don't know when Mark will next be here. Perhaps he'll reply soon.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sorry guys. haven't signed in for a few days.
I carried a Nikon D800 and heavy 24-70 lens. About 4kg all up!
It depends on your size and if you really want to carry it. For me it was not an option to leave my new camera behind:) Good advice from lovingkindness to search the other responses as there are plenty on the forum. It boils down to if you are a photographer, or if you are a walker who wants to take an occasional photo. I had great fun with my iphone and there are plenty of new systems capable of fantastic photos. The new Nikon J1, Canon S90-95 series etc. Go pro for video.
You also have to look at the carrying system. If you have a large camera in your backpack it is going to be a pain to access. I had a lowepro toploader pro that slung across my front and side so the camera was always accessible. I think for my next camino, i may opt for a more compact system like Nikon's V1-J1. combined with the iphone. You also have to realise your camera will have to be on you constantly for security reasons, unless you are staying in Hotels. A big camera means you will have to make compromises and it may slow you up and affect your walk if you are not physically up to it. Make sure you take the system on every walk in the lead-up to leaving, to get some idea of how you are going to be able to cope. Hope this helps.

Love your photos ! They are great.we were on the camino at the same time, but you were much faster than us , so we never met.
Best wishes, Helen

I added a couple of TShirts to the page. Really cheap but good quality and I hope to wear them on my return to a Camino walk in September. Portuguese Camino here we come! Follow the link from the Camino photo page.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Aussie Mark your pictures are great. I want to let all my fellow pilgrims know that I found the most beautiful Camino de Santiago Patches and Pins and the good news is they don't have advertizing all over them. They're really beautiful and afordable. You can view and order them at http://www.patchquartermaster.com. So my friends if you are looking for a beautiful afordable patch for your backpack and/or hat check out Patch Quartermaster you will not be sorry you did.

Mary Edith
:D

Back