• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussies doing the Camino during the election.

Nomadic_Hailights

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi all,

Any other Aussies doing the Camino during the election? How are you approaching this? I'm thinking of getting the postal voting pack sent to Casa Ivar. This would mean I probably can only have 1 or 2 rest days max to get there in time to fill out and send off my vote. My knees are already protesting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will need to check with the Australian Electoral Commission to determine if they will post to a location other than your "usual postal address". Given that it takes around two weeks to get mail from Oz to Spain (or the reverse) I doubt you will be able to manage it.
My suggestion, depending upon when and where you start your camino, in London go to Australia House; in Paris or Madrid (or Lisbon) go to the respective Australian Embassy. Once the writs have been issued; nominations closed then the Australian Missions overseas will be able to provide you with a ballot paper. If you are already on the camino you may have a reasonable excuse for not voting. Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Surely you can do it online? But otherwise what a great idea to be out of Australia during the run-up to the election, Australian politics being so unedifying and the candidates even less so. (Sorry, as a NZer I couldn't resist.)
We can't vote online at the moment. Hopefully that will be an option in the future, but we're not there yet. I did try to look for it on the AEC site, hoping for a miracle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to check with the Australian Electoral Commission to determine if they will post to a location other than your "usual postal address". Given that it takes around two weeks to get mail from Oz to Spain (or the reverse) I doubt you will be able to manage it.
My suggestion, depending upon when and where you start your camino, in London go to Australia House; in Paris or Madrid (or Lisbon) go to the respective Australian Embassy. Once the writs have been issued; nominations closed then the Australian Missions overseas will be able to provide you with a ballot paper. If you are already on the camino you may have a reasonable excuse for not voting. Cheers
I'm in Nice at the moment, leaving for SJPDP in a few days. I checked the AEC site and Australians outside of Australia can do a postal vote and they will send out the pack to your nominated address. I'm going to register for overseas voting tomorrow and see how it goes. Election is on 21 May. Hope it doesn't have to be a permanent residential address. I'll find out tomorrow.

I was walking the VF in 2019 when the last Aus Federal Election took place. I left Australia before the polling date was announced & did not return home until after the election had been held.
Result?...I got a fine in the mail about 5 months later. There was an 'excuse' form attached which I duly completed stating the above & the nature of my journey (being on foot in rural areas). They were able to check dates with Dept of Immigration...I didn't pay & never heard another thing about it.
Another election (2016) I was in Norway walking St Olav's Way. The date was announced prior to me leaving so I contacted the AEC. As the timeframe (theirs & mine) for a postal vote wouldn't work, they said I had to abandon my trip & travel to the nearest Embassy/Consulate (Copenhagen, Denmark) to lodge my vote.
I told them that was ridiculous & stated I had fulfilled my obligation of notifying them in advance of my inability to vote, asked for a receipt number for my call & left it at that. I heard nothing more about it.
I guess how much effort you put in will depend on how eager you are to vote. It is our civic duty & right (which we're lucky to have as many still do not) but sometimes it just doesn't work out... 🤷‍♀️
Good luck @Nomadic_Hailights, please let us know how you get on.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really wanted to vote but unless there's a stand at the airport as happened once years ago I wont be able to. Probably not on Easter Sunday night anyway.

I really wanted to vote but unless there's a stand at the airport as happened once years ago I wont be able to. Probably not on Easter Sunday night anyway.
Easter 🐰 Sunday night? 🤔
The Election 🗳 is Saturday 21 May...or is Easter when you're departing? 🤷‍♀️ 😉
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Left Australia before nominations closed for 2019 election. Attached copies of my boarding passes (expect flight itinerary would also be acceptable) to the “please explain” letter, posted it off and heard no more.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Since the electoral roles do not close until 6.00 PM on April 18 (Easter Monday) I doubt that the nominations will have closed by that date so not a chance there would be any voting before (say) May 2. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

Any other Aussies doing the Camino during the election? How are you approaching this? I'm thinking of getting the postal voting pack sent to Casa Ivar. This would mean I probably can only have 1 or 2 rest days max to get there in time to fill out and send off my vote. My knees are already protesting.st yesterday, I filled out the forum online to say I was unable to vote due to travelling overseas, no embassies along the way to vote

Hi all,

Any other Aussies doing the Camino during the election? How are you approaching this? I'm thinking of getting the postal voting pack sent to Casa Ivar. This would mean I probably can only have 1 or 2 rest days max to get there in time to fill out and send off my vote. My knees are already protesting.
Just filled out the forum online yesterday to say I would be O/S and unable to vote. It will be 2nd time I have been unable to vote, first time was 34yrs ago when I was in labour that day.

Some posts have been deleted and edited.
Please by all means discuss any problems with postal voting etc.....but strictly no political commentary.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

Hi, I applied online to do a postal vote before I fly out next Friday. Just hoping it arrives to me in time

Hi all,

I will be doing the Camino during the election. Our problem is that we will be on the road and not near an Australian diplomatic post or have an address for a postal vote. In addition we leave Australia before May 9 when you can prepoll so unfortunately we will miss out which is very frustrating because we really want to vote.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I applied online to do a postal vote before I fly out next Friday. Just hoping it arrives to me in time
Unfortunately you won’t be able to do so. If you look at election timetable the Declaration of candidate nominations doesn’t happen until 22 April and preferences for Senate will be after then.

I filled in the Overseas notification form and left it at that. If I get a "please explain" letter, or a fine, I will be able to explain my absence.
Thanks so much for the link to the form @Hurrying - I filled it in as soon as I saw your post.
I’m in the UK at present and will be on the Sanabres (fingers crossed I make it that far!) on Election Day.
Buen Camino to all -
Jenny

Learning new things every day- they track you down and force you to vote in Australia? What if you choose not to- is that an option?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Election has been called for May 21. Registration closes 18th April. I've registered to do a postal vote this am. I like to participate in these things lol.
I knew I was going to be away before the election was called so I registered online to vote overseas and it was confirmed within minutes.

I will be doing the Camino during the election. Our problem is that we will be on the road and not near an Australian diplomatic post or have an address for a postal vote. In addition we leave Australia before May 9 when you can prepoll so unfortunately we will miss out which is very frustrating because we really want to vote.
I’m in the same position- I would like to vote but will be on the road .. somewhere on the Frances. I filled in the overseas form with my dates and confirmed I will be exempt. Buen Camino - from one Sandra R to another 😘🥾

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have also filled in an overseas exemption form as there's no way I could find a voting place on the VdlP

I left before early voting was allowed, and arrived home 3 dys after the election. When I recieved a "please explain" I referred them to the customs dept, quoting the date on which I landed in Sydney on my return. All was good.

I was overseas walking the Frances for the 2019 election. Got a 'please explain' told them I was O/S and all good. Don't worry about it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.