• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussies walking the camino frances in Jan/ Feb 2014?

naylorguys

I was going to walk in April till my son said what a good idea but I'm only able to go in January. So Jan 9th from St. Jean it is then! Would be interested to know of anyone else starting around that time maybe to compare prep, packing etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I leave on the 13th Dec. Send me a PM and maybe I can keep you posted re accomodation in winter. I am planning to get to SdC around the 20th - 23rd January - depending on the the weather. I am booked to fly home from Paris on the 26th Jan and so if I get too bad a weather where it is inacvisable to walk I may have to catch a bus or train to make up time. Hopefully though I wont have to. There are actually a number Aussies on the path at present - I have sent out a few pilgrim records over the last month. In our first year we (Australian Friends of the Camino) sent none for these months and so there is an interesting change occurring.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
brrrrrrrr.... cold in them thar hills people!!! It was still 5m under snow when we went in March!!!! Where are you from? Would still love to catch up with some Pilgrims from Oz soon.... I'm getting forlorn about it all now.

I was going to walk in April till my son said what a good idea but I'm only able to go in January. So Jan 9th from St. Jean it is then! Would be interested to know of anyone else starting around that time maybe to compare prep, packing etc.

Hi fellow-Aussie
We walked it in January, finishing in the first week of February. Fabulous - you feel as if you own the camino, as you have it almost to yourself (of course that means you miss out on the camaraderie, but it is a unique experience in winter). You do need to be well-pepared for the cold. There is a fair bit of info in various threads, but if you would like my packing list and hints let me know. We also walked the Via Francigena in Italy in cold weather (Oct and Nov).
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi fellow-Aussie
We walked it in January, finishing in the first week of February. Fabulous - you feel as if you own the camino, as you have it almost to yourself (of course that means you miss out on the camaraderie, but it is a unique experience in winter). You do need to be well-pepared for the cold. There is a fair bit of info in various threads, but if you would like my packing list and hints let me know. We also walked the Via Francigena in Italy in cold weather (Oct and Nov).
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)
Hi Maggie do you have a list of the accommodation where you attend? Also could you PM me your packing list? Sounds like a great walk in winter. Buen Camino Sharon

Finished SJPDP to Santiago in Sept 2013, itchy feet still, so starting Le Puy to SJPDP in Feb 2014. Then onto Santiago.
Feeling a bit daunted by possible bad weather, and heavier pack though. On the other hand can't wait, woot woot
Packing list for winter would be great though, will look at other comments.

Hi Maggie do you have a list of the accommodation where you attend? Also could you PM me your packing list? Sounds like a great walk in winter. Buen Camino Sharon
Recently I compiled a list of albergues on CF that are opened during winter also. Because information was found on internet calling ahead is very advisable. You'll find the list in attached file.

Ultreia!

Attachments

• All year albergues.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 18
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, I am also thinking of continuing the camino around the same time (probably starting in Burgos on Dec 30). Would you mind to share your packing list with me as Im not entirely certain which gear i need to buy for Winter walking. Many thanks. Rob

Hi Sharon
We don't have a lsit of our accommodation - we jsut stopped when we wanted for the evening without planning ahead and asked at bars. We got some ideas from our John Brierley guidebook. In Santiago we stayed at the delightful Costa Vella family run little hotel.
Here's my packing list (sorry, I can't remember how to send a PM)
Cheers
........................................................................................................................

We walked in the winter in Spain (starting December 27) and October-November in Italy. Summer might require cooler clothes, eg no headband or gloves and short sleeves. But if you are walking in winter, be aware that it was a mild winter in Europe and we did not get temperatures much below freezing in Spain in December January, in a more normal winter you might need more warmth (we sent on our thick thermals).

When you walk, you warm up, even in winter, so light clothing is good. I mostly walked just in a fine wool long sleeved t-shirt. My husband used hi-tech synthetic fabric in a long sleeved walking shirt.

In general terms, choose everything small, lightweight wherever possible.

Minimise weight doing things like clip nails before leaving and buy clippers en route and then throw them away. (I know it sounds extreme, but a few days in you’ll understand what I’m talking about).

There are plenty of grocery shops and pharmacies to buy common items eg vaselina, compeed, tissues, nurofen (ibuprofen)

You don’t absolutely need a guidebook, but John Brierley’s was an invaluable and interesting companion along the way. I highly recommend it.

You will need to personally carry some of the “Theirs” items if you are walking alone. We were able to share them. Water weighs 1 kg per litre.

We sent on and gave away some things after we had been walking a few days. You don’t need much. Life is so simple and a light pack makes for a happy walker. It is so common that Post Offices stock what they call Pilgrim Boxes in various sizes: you send on to Post Restante in Santiago and pck up there. (I can’t remember the exact address). But how much easier to be disciplined before you even leave.

I washed every night, usually just socks and sometimes tops.

For long periods we wore one set of clothes for day and one for evening. This minimises washing. This worked well for cool /cold weather.

When you pack, put the heavy things at the bottom (eg sleeping bag) so your hips carry the weight.

I carried:

Hers

Aarn Featherlite 35 litre Freedom backpack

Sleeping bag

Silk long johns and top (for pyjamas and occasional extra warmth), 1 set (NZNature Co brand, bought mail order)

Ultra fine merino wool (Hedrena brand):

- single weight slacks, 2 pairs (I have now changed to Nike walking pants)

- undies, 2 pairs (cotton is very slow to dry, use merino or synthetic)

Ultra fine merino wool (Kathmandu brand, but I think Icebreaker from Paddy Pallin would be just as good):

- Long sleeved t-shirts, 2

Bridgedale wool hiking socks, 4 pairs (I wore two pairs each day, changed at lunchtime, washed them at night)

Anklet stocking sox, 2 pairs

Elastic knee support for a dodgy knee, 1 (two would have been good, worn on both knees)

1 bra

1 small polyester pretty scarf, when I wanted to look nicer some evenings (we stayed a a few nice hotels and Paradors along the way when we couldn’t find cheap accommodation or felt like a treat)

1 pair small earrings, worn all the time

Reading glasses and lightweight case

Sunglasses (not used)

Headlamp

Polar Fleece headband

Sleeveless Polar Fleece shell

Goretex 2 layer jacket

Goretex waterproof caving gloves

Akubra hat

Waterproof breathable overpants

Short gaiters

2 Trekking poles

Very light shoe horn

Randonnee Proof leather hiking boots

Running shoes (only used in the evening, to give my feet a rest)

In small containers (I have since heard of people usisng ziplock mini-sandwich bags, probably a good option):

- Moisturiser

- Face cleanser

- All purpose detergent (mostly you use the soap from where you are staying to wash your clothes so you don’t need much – one sachet)

Small toothbrush

Small microfibre towel (I regretted not taking a medium sized one)

Tissues

Cotton buds

1 tiny, thin washcloth

2 nappy (diaper) pins

Sponge bag (drawstring plastic bag to hold bathroom items)

Deodorant

Nurofen

Antihistamine

Vaseline

lip salve

tweezers

emery board

notebook and ballpoint pen

Small digital camera

In an inside pocket of my jacket

- emergency money

- one credit card

- info on bank accounts

- credit card cancellation info

- list of credit cards carried

- travel insurance info

- flight info

He carried:

His

Aarn 35 litre Featherlite Freedom backpack and 2 balance packs

Sleeping bag

Travel pillow

Chargers for Ipod, MP3 player, camera, 3G phone (+ Garmin gps in Italy, not needed in Spain)

Device to download photos from camera to Ipod

Adaptor plug

Swiss army knife

Sports watch with alarm, stopwatch, compass

Randonee Proof Leather hiking boots

Running shoes and bag

Running socks

Goretex 2 layer jacket

Some pharmaceuticals

Polar Fleece headband

Goretex waterproof caving gloves

Document carrier with:

- passports

- credencials

- credit cards

- money

- list of flights and accommodation

- pen

Headlight

Glasses and lens cloth

Sunglasses and case

Medium size microfibre towel

Silk handkerchief

Small toothbrush

Razor and replaceable blades

Hi tech clothes:

- 2 pr undies

- 4 pr Coolmax socks

- 2 pr Coolmax sock liners

- 1 pr trousers

- 1 pr calf length shorts

- 2 shirts

Polypropylene thermal undershirt and long johns

Polar fleece sleeveless shell

Waterproof breathable overpants

Short gaiters

Akubra hat

1 Trekking pole (in Italy 2)

We split this: (he carried 3kg more weight, mostly water, so used balance packs in front)

Theirs

Collapsible 2.5 litre water bottle (Platypus brand)

Hotel sewing kit

Twisted elastic travel clothesline

Half a tube of child size toothpaste

Bandaids and Compeeds

Antibiotic cream

Anti-diarrhoea medicine

Anti-cramping medicine

Gel heel inserts in case of heel spurs

Food for the day , usually including chocolate, bread, cheese, wine

2 forks, knives, spoons (Paddy Pallin stocks very light ones, brand I think Sea to Summit)

John Brierley guide book

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Finished SJPDP to Santiago in Sept 2013, itchy feet still, so starting Le Puy to SJPDP in Feb 2014. Then onto Santiago.
Feeling a bit daunted by possible bad weather, and heavier pack though. On the other hand can't wait, woot woot
Packing list for winter would be great though, will look at other comments.
Sorry - I can't remember how to send a PM, if you will send me one I will happily send you my packing list. Maggie

Hello, I am also thinking of continuing the camino around the same time (probably starting in Burgos on Dec 30). Would you mind to share your packing list with me as Im not entirely certain which gear i need to buy for Winter walking. Many thanks. Rob
Hi ?Rob
I've posted it on this thread, as several people have asked for it, hope it helps
Maggie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking forward to getting off our harvester and starting walk in fPassword
2beb1583
Camino

Sorry about other post hit bump In paddock looking forward to walk in February really enjoy posts taking family , walked bibbulmun track last winter an amazing walk lots of rain and bush walking . We can only start in Leon .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Andrew & I are currently in Santo Domingo. Having a good time & initial injury rate is slowing down.
My advice, carry less stuff. You can wash every second night very easily. We have two sets of pants & long sleeve technical shirts. Could really get away with one. Just wear thermals around at night once you shower.
If you need to go out, polar fleece on top of thermals & your day pants is quite acceptable as you will be keeping your jacket zipped up!
4-5 pairs of socks not a bad idea! 2 per day plus another when you are washing. We only have 4 & notice the lack.
2-3 pairs undies.
Neither of us use bras (although I was tempted by a pink mankini!)
Buen Camino

Hey. How has the weather been? I'm starting in Burgos probably around 30th ... Quite concerned about the cold!! Thanks for any info

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Heavy rain forecast in Pamplona on Thursday, and snow in Roncevalles on Friday. Judging by the amount of old snow lying around today I would say it coud come quite a way down towards Pamplona. The wind has been pretty bitter where I am but not cold enough for me to walk in a fleece, and except for the early mornings most of the time has been a one or no beanie day (I start with 2 merino beanies). I have been using icebreaker gloves - haven't even taken out the high tech waterproof mittens yet. Mind you, this Aussie is leading the way in climate toughness - I am the one who leaves each morning with knee length Capri pants while the Europeans are rugged up to the nines. Thus far I have found the albergues quite hot. No blankets in evidence at Roncesvalles. Janet

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have 2 icebreaker, or equivalent, beanies. Rather than bringing one thick one I opted for thinner merino ones. That way I have a lot more control of the temperature. Today for example I began with two, switched to one and then back to two! Icebreaker gloves were on and off too. Haven't even unpacked the special waterproof ones yet! Tonight in Estella it is 6 degrees, and the night is still young! Janet

PS I am finding the albergues hot at night, though I think I might be alone on that one, judging what people wear to bed, and the extra blankets they add on top of their bag!

What is your definition of hot? Are you kicking off your sleeping bag?

Good tip with the beanies, I am taking a light marino one and a baseball cap, I like the shade it gives my eyes in brighter conditions or protection from light rain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tonight will different (cold) but I am going to sleep in my clothes - long story! Yes, every night thus far I have slept with my feet on top of the bag. I only ever sleep with the bag like a doona - again easier to control temp. I have a thermal reactor inner sheet - very warm too. Janet

PS I am not a good person to talk about temp. Compared to everyone walking at present, I am underdressed - or they are overdressed!k

Hi naylorguys, I`m not an Aussie but a Norwegian - but anyway it looks like we will be starting our Camino on the same day from St. Jean. I will also be arriving their sometime during the afternoon on Jan. 8. See you then!

Hi naylorguys, I`m not an Aussie but a Norwegian - but anyway it looks like we will be starting our Camino on the same day from St. Jean. I will also be arriving their sometime during the afternoon on Jan. 8. See you then!
Hi Tom. Great to know we won't be alone out there. We arrive on the last train out of Bayonne so fingers crossed all goes well. Look forward to seeing you on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just got home last month, had a great time even though I spent 8 days in hospital at Santiago and another 5 back home, but I would not change a thing loved every minute hope to be back next year.
To all those out there have fun say hi to all and be nice.

Love from a Pelgrino

My son & I leave St Jean Dec 1. We are from Geelong.
Hi Wayne
I am writing from Jan Juc 30/12/13 just back last month I hope you keep safe through the mountains enjoy and Buen Camino.

Hi all,

Heading to start 28th Feb 2015 SJPdP and will walk in 30 days. Anyone from Australia heading similar times?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.