• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australia Post Travel sim cards

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Obviously a question for my fellow Aussies! Have you used the Aust post travel sim? Any thoughts? Las time I planned to buy sim cards when we reached Pamplona last time but could not easily find a vodafone store - thought this might be easier from the get-go?

There will be 4 of us walking and you can link two phones together so I thought that would be a bonus - the husband and I will link to the children's phones so that we can call them and tell them to slow down and wait for us lol. We will need a phone to call ahead for accommodation each day (walking in winter) and just to feel safer really.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there Gumba

Another Ozzie forum member msgd me earlier this year with the following info. I need to contact him again to see how his worked out

Copied msg [[ I got a SIM card delivered from Sim Corner in Victoria which can be used in Europe and the UK for 30 days and it comes with a lot of credit for calls within Europe and 12 GB of data. You may want to check this out and see if it is better than buying a SIM card in Spain.]]

But what I have been doing lately when I travel : (This works with Vodafone....no knowledge of others) is-
If I’m not yet in a place where I can buy a SIM card and there’s no wifi ‘... I use my home mobile package. Vodafone here charge a fixed Au$5 per day. I don’t need to do that for many days. Sometimes 2 at beginning and similar at end. For me it’s easier than renewing a sim for a month.
I always get a sim in spain (not necessarily Vodafone ) for data and calls - and make good use of local wifi when it’s available.
I use it travel
Good luck - I’ll be watching responses for good ideas for future.

Buen camino
Annie

Last edited:
Obviously a question for my fellow Aussies! Have you used the Aust post travel sim? Any thoughts? Las time I planned to buy sim cards when we reached Pamplona last time but could not easily find a vodafone store - thought this might be easier from the get-go?

There will be 4 of us walking and you can link two phones together so I thought that would be a bonus - the husband and I will link to the children's phones so that we can call them and tell them to slow down and wait for us lol. We will need a phone to call ahead for accommodation each day (walking in winter) and just to feel safer really.
I can't write re Aust Post sims but I've been using Travel Sim for all my trips since 2016 (www.travelsim.net.au).
You get an Aussie number which makes it easier for people at home to contact you (no need for country codes), 6 months to use your credit, just before the 6 months is up, you can keep the same number by recharging $5 (which they match) towards your next trip.
Data packages available separately although I haven't ever needed to purchase one.
Very good rates for texts & calls (varies country to country)...far better than any our home telco's offer. You can enter the countries you'll be visiting on their website & it lists rates. May not be the absolute cheapest option (compared to what you might be able to get 'on the ground') but for simplicity, convenience, no hassles with compatability & a dedicated Aussie support/service centre (which means always in English... 🤭 ), I've found them unbeatable. I got my initial sim for free as a special offer attached to the travel insurance I purchased.
The 4 years I've been using Travel Sim covers 10 countries & 3 continents...I can recommend them. I'm not a heavy user when travelling preferring 'off grid' as much as practicable (no FOMO for me! 😄 ) so your intended usage will have a bearing but at the very least, worth having a look at.
Good luck & happy planning!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks OzAnnie - we have been cought out a few times on our travels, accidentally accessing our $5/day telstra international roaming and has cost us a lot $$$$. With a different sim card, we wont make that mistake! Also means that no one will contact us. Well, unless we give them the number!!!

Kazrobbo - it appears that your recommendation is exactly the same as the Aust post simcard - except your one has a discount for buying more than one which will save us $40!! Thanks for that - we can put it towards phone credit!!! I liket hat they dont run out after 30 days - we need 35 lol!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

No. I never use SIM cards from home. Its easier to Get a cheap Spanish one from the airport. Vodaphone and Orange stores are everywhere and you can also get Spanish SIM cards in Tabac shops 10 or 20 euros gives you heaps of data and you can make local phone calls. Easy to top up too. Download WhatsApp for communication too. It’s free

Gumba,
I have an unused travelsim as a result of having to cancel my Camino Primitivo (I had a seizure out of the blue a week or so ago) I could transfer the SIM card to you - I can't get a refund as it has been opened. I selected the travelsim as it seemed the best deal for me I would have been about 40 days away.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your generous offer. I will decline, because I need to get duo packs so that my husband and I can link our sims to our boys (who are walking with us). Apparently you can only link up if you have the 'duo' packs. I'm sorry to hear about your seizure - I know nothing about them but I hope it has mearly delayed your Camino. Are you aware that the travelSIM lasts for 6 months and you can top them up with $5 to keep them going for another 6 months? Hopefully you are down for the moment, but not out. Thank you so much for the offer. Best wishes for your recovery

Bought a 3UK SIM in London. 20 GBP per month for 12 gb and unlimited calls and text across Europe. ( Till Brexit anyway )
Orange in France and Voda do similar deals. Can top up via an account.

I am also on the "buy Orange Sim in the airport" team, but will be following this thread as it has quite useful infomation :)

Also, best wishes to @Bob Chambers. My husband also had a seizure this year that was quite frightning - although our camino still happened. Santiago will be there for you when you are strong again, all the best!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.