• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australian Camino Perth to New Norcia

Trudy

Time of past OR future Camino
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
Australians here might be interested in the ABC Compass program being shown on Good Friday at 7.30pm AEST. It follows the inaugural 6 day 'Camino Salvado' walking pilgrimage from Perth to the Benedictine Monastery at New Norcia. New Norcia was founded by Father Salvado, a Spanish priest, in the mid 1800s. Father Salvado is also resonsible for exporting eucalyptus seeds to Spain where the trees are now thriving along the Camino in Galicia.

Here's what the TV blurb says:

"Camino Salvado
There’s a modern day revival in the age-old habit of pilgrimage, and parishioners from St Joseph’s Church in Subiaco, Perth have created their own, Camino Salvado. Compass joins the inaugural pilgrimage for a six day walk from Perth to the Benedictine Monastery at New Norcia. The Camino Salvado follows in the footsteps of Spanish monk, Dom Rosendo Salvado. In the mid-1800s he walked to from Perth to New Norcia many times as he built a unique aboriginal mission, enduring tragedy and hardship along the way. Now a century and half later, 30 pilgrims will explore the modern day appeal of an age old tradition, and learn about the history of Dom Salvado’s historic journeys"

Trudy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Trudy

There is an excellent monument to Father Salvado outside the local police station in Tui on the Camino Portugues. I am sure if this event had more publicity many former and possibly new pilgrims would have joined in the walk to New Norcia.

Looking forward to watching Compass. Cheers Rose Louise

That's brilliant . . . an Australian camino.

New Norcia is a very special place and I really enjoyed the Spanish connection. Would love to do the walk in the future and look forward to seeing the Compass program.

Does anyone have info on where the walkers are staying each night please?
Good luck.Buen camino.
Carole :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Carole,

[*Does anyone have info on where the walkers are staying each night please?]
Full details are on:
http://caminosalvado.com/learn/.

Places to stay are on peaceful country accommodation and surprise, costs Aus$600.00, sparate bedrooms with showers!

Worth looking at the write-up as it gives a very modern modus operandi of how to go about the preparation and things to take in a practical manner.

Salvado Street in Santiago de Compostela is named after him.
Mor einfo if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Eucalyptus trees - Diaries of a Spanish outpost.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Eucalyptus trees in Galicia.doc
    21 KB · Views: 105
Hi Sil,

Thanks for the info on New Norcia, Salvado and the eucalypts. Dom Salvado must have been a brilliant man (except for taking the eucalypt to Spain!) and his diaries will be interesting. To visit New Norcia is interesting on a number of fronts, not least to come across a little bit of Spain, with churches and buildings, in the midst of the flat plains of Western Australia.
Would have been a rather different atmosphere there in the village about 40 -50 years ago when when boarding schools were operating and there were less tourists and more monks.

Cheers.
Carole

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Friends have been prompting me to do this, so I have registered for the second 2011 walk, starting on 4 Sep 11. Would be interested to know if others intend to walk either of the two 2011 walks.

DougF :?:

dougfitz said:
Friends have been prompting me to do this, so I have registered for the second 2011 walk, starting on 4 Sep 11. Would be interested to know if others intend to walk either of the two 2011 walks.

DougF :?:

I am in the process of trying to book on the first walk on August 21. I decided to do the local Camino this year-----and hopefully walk the Camino Mozorabe next year. Are you a West Aussie ?

Cheers.
Sandra

Alexandra said:
I am in the process of trying to book on the first walk on August 21. I decided to do the local Camino this year-----and hopefully walk the Camino Mozorabe next year. Are you a West Aussie ?

Cheers.
Sandra

By birth, but I left in 1974 and have no plans to return other than to visit family and old friends, and this time to do Camino Salvado.

DougF

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Doug and Sandra
I also have registered for the local Camino Salvado for 21st August. Would like to have more info on this before paying deposit. Wondered if you had contact with the folks from St Josephs. I tried to find the Compass programme but no luck. It would be good to see it again.
Cheers
Heather

camino07 said:
Hi Doug and Sandra
snip
Wondered if you had contact with the folks from St Josephs. I tried to find the Compass programme but no luck. It would be good to see it again.
Cheers
Heather

Finally got a response, 10 weeks or so after sending my deposit, and that took an email to trigger. Polite, but not particularly informative other than advising to keep checking the web-site.

Anyhow, flights are booked and family warned out. Doing a bit of more serious walking, but haven't put much thought into gear. Any tips for early Sep in Perth would be appreciated.

Hello Doug, Sandra, Heather et al

I'm on the Camino Salvado Committee and we are getting
it all together for 2011. Sorry for the tardiness in replying.
But, we have taken action and we've got an emailed newsletter
to go out on early next week. Our artistic person (every
community group has one) is designing an inspiring logo to put
on everything, including shirts, so I'm loathe to hurry her in
case we all end up wearing something ugly.

To answer your questions:
Spring weather around Perth days 20-25C, nights 10-15C.
Rain in 10 min showers, averaging a shower every third day.
Sun here gets very intense so you need a big hat and sunscreen.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Accomodation is varied. In Guildford (Swan Valley)
we've booked Swan Leigh with shared rooms. It's
brand new (rebuilt after severe storm) on an
historic site. In Chittering Valley, we have a gorgeous
house on a hill which does convention type groups.
Again, shared rooms. In Bindoon, we're going back to
a farmstay with shared rooms again, and the best
barbecues and breakfasts ever. In New Norcia, we stay
in the Old Nunnery (1880's) and the New Nunnery (1920's)
with meals at the New Norcia Hotel in the jarrah dining
room. I have heard the Old Nunnery is haunted. And yes,
I would believe it.

JALAN JAUH said:
Places to stay are on peaceful country accommodation and surprise, costs Aus$600.00, sparate bedrooms with showers!

I'm a little confused. Are you saying the cost of accommodation is $600 Australian which is a little over $600 American? Is that for the entire walk?

Hi anniesantiago

The Camino Salvado was first
completed in 2009 and was seven days/
six nights. We've moved our route
closer to the original route of the
Yuat people and Dom Salvado as we've
been given permission by landholders.
And we've also discovered a lost road
through Julimar Forest. Not even the
Forestry folks knew it was there.

So now the Camino Salvado is
eight days/seven nights and costs $800
for all accomodation, all very generous
meals and snacks, and all transport.
Luggage goes direct to your accomodation
and you carry your daypack and water.

Due to price increases (that's what it's
all about in the Boom State, sigh) all
rooms are shared, and we can't afford
spas any more(another sigh). Still,
we make up for it with some really
grand morning and afternoon teas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back