• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australian Camino Salvado 2011

Kaydernt

Dom Rosendo Salvado was a pioneer monk
from Santiago who left Spain after the
dissolution of the monasteries, sailed to
the Swan River Colony (WA) and founded
the monastery town of New Norcia. His
journey was astonishing and his story is
inspirational.

Compass (ABC1) covered the Camino Salvado,
a walk in the spirit of Dom Salvado, last Easter.
Subiaco Museum had an exhibition on the
Benedictine brothers last year. A statue of
Dom Salvado was recently installed on
Salvado Road, where the Camino Salvado
starts.

In Spain, there is a memorial for him in Santiago.
And of course, he sent the seeds of his beloved
western woodland eucalypts back to Spain. His 1850
visit to Spain was taken as a sign of the renewal
of traditional Spanish Catholicism - this might help
explain the gum trees.

The Camino Salvado - not for profit, independent,
and ecumenical - is now an annual community
event. Two eight day walks depart this spring:
Sun 21st - 28th Aug 2011
Sun 4th - 11th Sept 2011.
Each pilgrimage has a maximum of 24 walkers
and the cost is $800 for all accomodation,
transport and generous meals and snacks.
Luggage is sent direct to accomodation
and walkers carry only a daypack and water.
See http://www.caminosalvado.com for more info
or to book.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kaydernt said:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/9692976/beating-a-hard-path-to-new-norcia/

In Thursday's West Australian, 23/06/11, Chris Olney
tells of her Camino Salvado experience last year.

She may be a serial pilgrim, as she mentions the
Camino Santiago.

Loved the photo.

This article shows a remarkable lack of research in its preparation, or perhaps the reporter is just challenged when it comes to Europe's geography and that of the various camino routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We had a "Meet and Greet" last Sunday at St joseph's church in Subiaco for all doing the two Camino Salvados. It was great meeting the other pilgrims and got my blood churned up again. It will be very different from my previous four Caminos to Santiago but I look forward to not having an 18hr flight and having to get over jetlag. Just a 25 min drive from home( no I am not walking to the starting point !). Walking for only 7 days with a day pack and a support vehicle to bring us lunch and on which we can travel if it all becomes too much. I'm sure I won't use it but good for others.
It will be cold and probably wet as it is winter here and we have thinner blood,being used to hot weather.
I saw a statue of a walking Dom Salvado,complete with stick outside the lovely old church so I guess that is where we will start from.
Will let you know how it goes.
Greetings to all

camino07 said:
We had a "Meet and Greet" last Sunday at St joseph's church in Subiaco for all doing the two Camino Salvados. It was great meeting the other pilgrims and got my blood churned up again.

snip

Greetings to all

Its good to hear the M&G went well. Some of us travelling from further afield were not able to be there. Will catch up at the start if you are doing the second of this years pilgrimages, otherwise, buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am on the first one Doug so we won't meet but we can compare notes afterwards.
You should see lots of Spring flowers it may be too early for us.
Buen Camino to you too

I look forward to the time when our Camino Salvado is signed and can be done alone. Still not sure why it is restricted to 2x yearly groups.

Loved New Norcia, especially the Spanish connection, and would love to walk there.

The Camino Salvado is as yet still best travelled
as an organized walk; unlike Santiago food, water
and shelter are not conveniently located. In
Salvado's time, he and the Yuat people had to be
very, very cautious about travelling beyond their
known water sources. Without outside support
you'd be scavenging for water and sleeping on
bull ants' nests (always smooth, dry and comfy ...
until morning). So, at the moment, a bit of
organisation gets you excellent food and drink
and a peaceful night's rest.

The old path was only revived experimentally in
spring 2009. We've made great progress finding
ways in which the Camino can be walked while
work on the trail continues. Signs, shelters and
the all important water tanks take time, energy
and lots of money.

We are a volunteer group and none of us have
revived old spiritual ideas, or built a long
distance hiking path before. But the amazing
thing is that everything keeps working out!

Keep watching this space, Carol,
the Camino magic is happening.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Kay.... you are doing a great job..... it's a huge thing you are all doing.

.... I'll think before I react in future.... I hope.

No worries at all, Carole. If you've been
wondering, then others must have wondered
too.
It's a shame Western Australia doesn't have a
Camino group, as do the other states, to
answer questions and pass on information,
but I live in hope.
We'll be setting dates for the 2012 walks in the
next month or so. In the meantime, I'd be
happy to answer any queries posted here.

Yes, the pilgrim gatherings in Sydney, organised by Sandra Collier, are wonderful venues for reunions, sharing of information and generally talking camino, other meetings in Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide and elsewhere likewise. Even had a little gathering of 12-14 people here in tiny Jamberoo last year which was great fun.

For WA to start, just needs 1 or 2 keen people to find a venue (home or cafe), set a date and spread the word. I bet it would take off quickly, especially with the interest in your very own camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are some people in WA who have expressed interest in gathering on the odd occasion - if you would like to PM I may be able to put you in contact with some of them and perhaps between you you could start to organise something.

On another note, any "Camino" here in Australia would have to be closer to a bush walk because of the very nature of the terrain and the issues of food and water involved in the distances here. I think each state has some wonderful long distance walks, which could be - for the walker - a spiritual time, a time to enjoy nature, and a solitary time to think, BUT they will always be a long distance walk above all else. In some cases bookings are required due to the environmental sensitivity of the area, or the path may be closed at certain times for safety (like our Heysen Trail which closes over summer to reduce bushfire risk). On all of these paths though, the usual problem is how to arrange water and food drops (or how much can one carry), and so you are to be congratulated for what you are doing in organising the Camino Salvado.

Keep up the good work. Cheers, Janet

Hello All,
Today I returned from a wonderful Camino Salvado. The volunteer organisers are to be congratulated for all they have done to enable this pilgrim's walk to progress. We had beautiful weather, except for one half day. The participants included two from Queensland, one from NSW and one from Vic. and 18 from WA. The ages ranged from 49 to 76. The actual walking was quite strenuous, but the scenery was beautiful------especially after all the wonderful rain we have had this winter. Wildflowers were plentiful,and beautiful, but will be much better in 2 weeks when the next walk sets off.

On our arrival into New Norcia, the church and monastery bells were ringing--------they are rung only for very special occasions. The Abbot met us in the Church, greeted us , and washed the feet of 2 pilgrims( symbolic of the hospitality given to visitors, as directed by St Benedict in the 6th century when he founded the Benedictines). The monks then gave us afternoon tea , including a special Pilgrim's cake. Because the trail is so new, we can't be exact with the amount of kilometers, but it is over 180 kms.

I, and another Spanish Camino walker, hope to have a WA contact group very soon. We are trying to settle on a venue, but it will probably be in Fremantle. I will post the details as soon as they are finalised.

Sandra.

I agree with Alexandra we had an excellent week. Amazing how just like in Spain we all became close, a family . New Norcia had,in my opinion a deep spiritual feel about it and is a definite destination. The church is old( in our standards) and so beautiful. I loved the Sunday morning mass and it was good to understand what the priest was saying,unlike in Spain. Going after dinner to the late service in the Monastery and hearing the monks chanting the psalms should not be missed and I was happy to see a statue of our old friend Santiago in the vestibule.
I found the main difference was in the amount of food we consumed,not starting our days walk until 9am after a huge breakfast and a bus ride. It made for long days often not arriving at our lodgings until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Communal dinners at 7 in the evening were cheerful and delicious and we were all on a high with the wine flowing.
I wish the next group a Buon Camino Salvado hoping they have as good weather as we did.
Hopefully we can start up a group here in WA soon.

I will be leaving for Perth tonight, to join the second Camino Salvado 2011. Amongst others, I will be joining my sister, who has also decided to walk this Camino.

At present, I am feeling a bit nervous, largely because I have never walked in a group this large before, and my recent experience of tour groups has not been all that positive.

Despite that, I am looking forward to the experience, catching up with family, etc.

Hope you have a great time, Doug. Would love to walk this route. Maybe in 2013.
I guess we could have an Aussie saying for Buen Camino.
Sharon

I'm sure you will have a great time , Doug. Prior to doing the Salvado last week, I was also a bit apprehensive about the group situation, but there was no problem. We all got on very well. There was a leader and a " tail end charlie", so one could walk as fast or as slow as they wished.

I think you will have good weather for most of the week. You will love the scenery, and I expect the wildflowers will be out in abundance. I found the entry into New Norcia quite emotional with the bells ringing. I presume the procedure will be the same for your group.

Have a great time in the West, and a wonderful Camino Salvado.

Sandra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Saturday's West Australian Travel Guide,
3/9/11, Pam Casellas, revisits her journey
on the Camino Salvado. The accompanying
photos are outstanding, if you can get the
paper itself. She walked through the canola
fields in full flower.

She really does give voice to my inner
thoughts:

"I wouldn't have missed it for anything, though
my feet might think otherwise. It provided a
great sense of achievement, forged new
friendships and was indeed a rare chance
to shut the rest of the world away for a
few days."

The Internet edition has the story, but not
the picture of the wonderful red road
winding through the brilliant gold fields.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/lifest ... he-bishop/

few days."

Alexandra said:
I'm sure you will have a great time , Doug. Prior to doing the Salvado last week, I was also a bit apprehensive about the group situation, but there was no problem. We all got on very well. There was a leader and a " tail end charlie", so one could walk as fast or as slow as they wished.

I think you will have good weather for most of the week. You will love the scenery, and I expect the wildflowers will be out in abundance. I found the entry into New Norcia quite emotional with the bells ringing. I presume the procedure will be the same for your group.

Have a great time in the West, and a wonderful Camino Salvado.

Sandra.

I wish I could be as positive about this as you were. One of the volunteer support crew got me down all week in various little ways, and at the very end completely ruined the symbolism of our entry by prancing up and walking at the front of the group as we entered the church yard.
I couldn't walk on at that point and just froze at the thought of walking behind her as if she had walked with us all the way from Subiaco.
It took an enormous emotional effort to take those last few steps, and for a few moments I even contemplated not making them at all.
It was unnecessary for it to end like that, but perhaps I should have expected something like this would have happened given her behaviour throughout the week.
I think it will take some time for my disappointment to abate enough for all the positive aspects to struggle through and come to light.
That said, the other pilgrims and support crew were fantastic. I was asked to be the blister fixer. This made me think about ensuring that as a group, we all were able to finish, which we all did.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
fsam33 said:
Why can't we as yet walk the Salvado on our own, as one can the Frances?

Kay has provided an answer to this http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/posting.php?mode=quote&f=87&p=76193#pr74759, and having walked the current route, what she as said makes a lot of sense.

There is no contiguous trail that makes sense without going through private property. Some of it was very special, for example when one property owner allowed us access to an area the family had retained as bushland in its native state, and we walked into it to see a range of orchids and other wildflowers. I doubt that in this and other areas the owners would allow unrestricted access for general walkers.

After the first day. one would need to consider camping, or arrange transport at the end of each day's walk to somewhere to stay. There might be ways of doing longer or shorter distances with better accommodation options, but they were not immediately obvious to me. There are other logistics issues, principally water, that would need to be considered, and how much food you would carry. It might be possible to cache or have a support crew, but that is more complex again. These issues are addressed by an organized Camino.

As I understand it, the local organizers continue to search for ways to minimize these issues, eg making greater use of public land where it is close to the general line of Dom Salvado's original trail. That sounds fine, but these will generally be less walkable than the edge of paddocks where there are farm access tracks.

It's difficult to compare the Salvado to a camino across Spain, and extend from that is should be easy to walk alone. This is completely different country. Nowhere on the Camino Frances did I walk for more than a couple of hours without walking through or near a village or town. On the Salvado we walked the best part of three days without so much as passing within sight of a farm shed, let alone a homestead. What water there was available would have had to be treated before human consumption, and all but one source would most likely be dry by early summer.

My view is that it will remain an organised Camino for some time to come. Perhaps a camino tradition will emerge in the communities along the way over time, and practical solutions found that would allow greater access across the year, but that is not an immediate prospect.

Regards,

We all know that every camino experience is
different and depends on many things. The
journey is your own. Doug, I know that your
care made a huge difference to the people
who travelled with you. Your knowledge will
continue to help Australian pilgrims.
(I'm writing an introductory newsletter right
now which draws on your expertise.)
Perhaps the value of your journey was in
all the good things you gave so freely.
I know I appreciate them enormously.
It was great to get to know you.

Hello fsam33

The desire to explore, experience and absorb
a sense of a place is a wonderful thing, but...
No one who has done the 7 days of the Camino
Salvado would recommend walking it solo.
You simply cannot carry enough water.
Please do not try, not even at home -
you will hurt yourself.

For comparison, the Bibbulmun Track walkers
who go from Perth to Albany through the
Great Southern, the wettest region in Western
Australia, depend on finding 2 water tanks per day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Excellent photos Heather and Doug. Thanks for posting. Especially liked seeing the wildlife and surrounds.... great captures. :D

camino07 said:

These brought back memories - its wonderful how we see different things to capture along the same path. Although if that goana sunning itself was the same one we saw, it might be wondering at its peace being disturbed by nearly fifty pilgrims in three weeks when it would be rare to ever see one.

Regards

Margaret was a warm and friendly, inspiration to us all who walked that week. At first we were not aware she was a nun and only on the second evening did she reveal this. She said many of us were asking how many grandchildren she had so Margaret decided it was best to come clean.
Heather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back