• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Australian Covid Vaccination Certificate

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Time of past OR future Camino
One partial Camino
Greetings all. I am starting my Camino from Australia in late April, via Madrid to Pamplona then on to SJPDP. I know there are issues with Aus International vaccine Cert and I am hoping to be able to convert it at a pharmacy in SJPDP, but am very worried I won't be accepted on train/ bus services to get there. Any advice / information would be greatly appreciated . 🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @JoAllen,
What issues are there with the Aussie International Vaccination Certificate?
Hi @JoAllen

I think you are referring to the words used in our government travel advice site (Smartraveller) ?
It reads. - ‘May not be accepted’ .

Scrolling to the bottom: copy/pasting

“”””
Non-EU digital COVID certificates, including the Australian issued International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) may not be accepted some venues. Issues with acceptance of COVID certificates is not common but can occur. “”””

I also would like to hear from Australians in Spain too - but @JoAllen it doesn’t say ‘are not accepted’ and is not a common occurrence. Wording is covering all possibilities?

Buen camino
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you are referring to the words used in our government travel advice site (Smartraveller) ?
It reads. - ‘May not be accepted’
“”””
Non-EU digital COVID certificates, including the Australian issued International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) may not be accepted some venues. Issues with acceptance of COVID certificates is not common but can occur. “”””

I also would like to hear from Australians in Spain too - but @JoAllen it doesn’t say ‘are not accepted’ and is not a common occurrence. Wording is covering all possibilities?
Just a thought;
Our international border is only re-opening 21st Feb. Until that date & beyond, not many of us have been 'out there' so our IVC may not be so easily recognisable overseas. As more & more Aussies start spreading our wings, our issuance could become familiar or acceptable for conversion.
Not concrete enough to give peace of mind of course but I think it'll be less of an impediment as time progesses.
Happy trails oh ye lucky ones heading off! You'll be the blazers (& issue finders/solvers) for those of us following later on.
👣 🌏

Hi @JoAllen

It reads. - ‘May not be accepted’ .

Scrolling to the bottom: copy/pasting

“”””

Buen camino
Ann
Hi @JoAllen,
What issues are there with the Aussie International Vaccination Certificate?
👣 🌏
Hi Kaz, and Annie. reading this article caused me some concern! Just trying to find out if an ICVC is required to board the train to Pamplona then the bus.

Hi JoAllen, I feel for you as I have been looking into this topic A LOT. So far I put my eggs into Switzerland’s basket, which allows you to apply for a Swiss certificate based on a (cancellable) hotel reservation from abroad. Of course, the Swiss is compatible with EU.

I had sent an email asking for advice to Tourism Spain, but apparently I was not worthy an answer. Still hoping, as more of us start travelling, things will get easier or our effing government manages to make our certificates compatible - as NZ did.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So far I put my eggs into Switzerland’s basket, which allows you to apply for a Swiss certificate based on a (cancellable) hotel reservation from abroad. Of course, the Swiss is compatible with EU
Do you have information on how this process works?

Hi JoAllen, I feel for you as I have been looking into this topic A LOT. So far I put my eggs into Switzerland’s basket, which allows you to apply for a Swiss certificate based on a (cancellable) hotel reservation from abroad. Of course, the Swiss is compatible with EU.

I had sent an email asking for advice to Tourism Spain, but apparently I was not worthy an answer. Still hoping, as more of us start travelling, things will get easier or our effing government manages to make our certificates compatible - as NZ did.

Dagobertinchin:
I have just found this blog, says no vaccine passports were checked to board trains or bus inside Spain..?? Sounds hopeful. I've emailed the Aus embassy in Madrid, and smart traveller. No reply.
Switzerland, or a flight into Bayonne? One way or the other, we will get there. 🤗

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dagobertinchin:
I have just found this blog, says no vaccine passports were checked to board trains or bus inside Spain..?? Sounds hopeful. I've emailed the Aus embassy in Madrid, and smart traveller. No reply.
Switzerland, or a flight into Bayonne? One way or the other, we will get there. 🤗

I am less worried about transportation. It’s the museums: At least here in Australia I found museums and concert halls the strictest in enforcing rules Probably due to a mix of public service, non-profit, etc. i still have another 4 weeks to observe the situation before I have to make a move.

I have just found this blog, says no vaccine passports were checked to board trains or bus inside Spain..?? Sounds hopeful
Don’t stress about this. Spain and the Spanish regions have been making much less use of the requirement to show vaccination certificates for access than other some other EU countries. I think it is, or was, only required in Spain for access to hotels, albergues and restaurants but not even in all of Spain. Never heard or read that it was required for busses or trains anywhere in Spain.

Even in France the vaccination certificate (pass vaccinal) is not required for all trains and busses, for example not on TER trains, just on the high speed or long distance trains and on interregional trains. The train from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port is a TER train.

Bus from Pamplona? You will be ok. Buen Camino.

Why not contact the Spanish Embassy in Australia? They should know, or even supply you with an acceptable document.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had read about this possibility on the Flyertalk forum where people are busy setting up flight and hotel bookings for a trip to CH that they can cancel again. And of course I immediately started an online application process. Where I found this piece of information: Please note that your COVID certificate is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. Therefore, do not submit your application until shortly before your trip. 🤓

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had read about this possibility on the Flyertalk forum where people are busy setting up flight and hotel bookings for a trip to CH that they can cancel again. And of course I immediately started an online application process. Where I found this piece of information: Please note that your COVID certificate is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. Therefore, do not submit your application until shortly before your trip. 🤓
Thanks. Good to know!
Did you get far enough into the application to know if it's necessary to have a flight booked, or just a hotel room?

Did you get far enough into the application to know if it's necessary to have a flight booked, or just a hotel room?
You are asked to upload a number of documents including Proof of stay in Switzerland (e. g. travel documents/ticket, booking confirmation, other documents to proof your intention to enter Switzerland).

I stopped at the point where they ask to acknowledge this: I acknowledge that providing false information or submitting forged documents as part of the COVID certificate application process is a criminal offence punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment.

😶

I stopped at the point where they ask to acknowledge this: I acknowledge that providing false information or submitting forged documents as part of the COVID certificate application process is a criminal offence punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment.
Okay...That's probably not the best option then!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don’t stress about this. Spain and the Spanish regions have been making much less use of the requirement to show vaccination certificates for access than other some other EU countries. I think it is, or was, only required in Spain for access to hotels, albergues and restaurants but not even in all of Spain. Never heard or read that it was required for busses or trains anywhere in Spain.

Even in France the vaccination certificate (pass vaccinal) is not required for all trains and busses, for example not on TER trains, just on the high speed or long distance trains and on interregional trains. The train from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port is a TER train.

I must have caught have at least 20 Fast Express trains in mainland Spain last month and not once was I asked for my covid certificate. France, month before when I caught maybe 5 express trains, you officially need a vaccine pass or a negative test and they check on boarding in my experience!

@JoAllen and @Dagobertinchen I am also heading out of Australia immediately before Easter flying to Portugal to walk there and then walking in Spain. I don't anticipate any problems. Our Australian International Vaccination Certificate clearly sets out the specific injections we have had, the dates, and by whom they were administered. I will have an electronic copy on my phone and a paper copy as a backup.

If required to be issued with something different in Spain I am confident the Australian government certified document will provide enough evidence.

Portugal is currently on some websites saying Australians can only enter for essential purposes. It seems at odds with other official information I’ve seen. Announcements change so often I will not think about it until a few days before I leave. Fully flexible tickets are great!

I am less worried about transportation. It’s the museums: At least here in Australia I found museums and concert halls the strictest in enforcing rules Probably due to a mix of public service, non-profit, etc. i still have another 4 weeks to observe the situation before I have

Why not contact the Spanish Embassy in Australia? They should know, or even supply you with an

Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings all. I am starting my Camino from Australia in late April, via Madrid to Pamplona then on to SJPDP. I know there are issues with Aus International vaccine Cert and I am hoping to be able to convert it at a pharmacy in SJPDP, but am very worried I won't be accepted on train/ bus services to get there. Any advice / information would be greatly appreciated . 🙏
G’day mate, as I understand it if you fully vaccinated 2 jabs plus your booster you have a 270 day window for travel in Spain. I believe you need to provide evidence of vaccination on arrival. But I have not fully checked this out. Cheers

@JoAllen and @Dagobertinchen I am also heading out of Australia immediately before Easter flying to Portugal to walk there and then walking in Spain. I don't anticipate any problems. Our Australian International Vaccination Certificate clearly sets out the specific injections we have had, the dates, and by whom they were administered. I will have an electronic copy on my phone and a paper copy as a backup.

If required to be issued with something different in Spain I am confident the Australian government certified document will provide enough evidence.

Portugal is currently on some websites saying Australians can only enter for essential purposes. It seems at odds with other official information I’ve seen. Announcements change so often I will not think about it until a few days before I leave. Fully flexible tickets
Just an update.
I have received an email from Aus Embassy Madrid stating proof of vaccine will no longer be required to enter public or private venues, as of today.
Many thanks for all of your responses.
Buen Camino.

Just received an email stating , as of today, passes No longer required to enter private or public buildings in Spain.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it correct that you cannot enter France from Australia without a third (booster) shot?

Travel advice update​

France​

05:11 pm - 16 February 2022
If you're vaccinated against COVID-19, you're no longer required to provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test for entry into France. See ‘Travel.’ French domestic COVID-19 requirements are changing, including the introduction of a Vaccination Pass. See ‘Health’.

We advise:
Exercise a high degree of caution in France due to the high risk of a terrorist attack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i haven’t done it yet, but here is the link https://covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign
Does not work anymore!

We can barely type as fast as things change on country and government levels. When this link was posted, I explored it (and posted about what I found). Today I get a news flash that Switzerland has abolished most of their Covid-19 related restrictions, and did so as of today. I went to the link again. The button to start the application process to request the conversion of an American CDC card or other foreign vaccination certificate into EU digital format has already disappeared. In its place I now see:

I am just visiting Switzerland (neither a Swiss domicile nor a Swiss passport)
Within Switzerland there is no certificate requirement at the national level. This means you do not have to apply for a Swiss COVID certificate to visit Switzerland.
IOW: This online opportunity to have your certificate converted is gone when you are merely a visitor to Europe. From today onwards, you can only do this if you hold a Swiss passport or if you live in Switzerland but had been vaccinated abroad.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back