• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australian Mobile Phone in Spain (using local SIM)

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
A question for Australians who have recently walked in Spain, and used their Telstra mobile phones with a local SIM Card.

Did your phone work OK?

I plan on taking my Galaxy Note 3 as Camera, video and 'link' to home.

I have used my Telstra phones around SE Asia without problems, but not sure what Spanish networks are like in terms of compatibility. Maybe it's only the US phones that seem to have a problem?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It really depends on what networks Telstra is partnered up with, that will determine if you get good or great reception.
As far as the U.S. phones go, we have some on GSM and others on a CDMA/GSM networks, it all depends on the provider.

Sorry about that, I didn't notice you said local SIM card, your Galaxy Note 3 will cover almost all 3G frequencies for data and voice, LTE depends on the frequencies that the Spanish phone companies use.
Vodafone or Telefonica and smaller MVNO carriers that use their network would be your best bet.
I used Orange and had dead zones in Hornillos, just 20km outside of Burgos, parts of the Meseta, and Cruz de Ferro.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We use an" old" Nokia for the phone , worked well with local sim cards in France or Spain [ different cards]
Took small ipad for photos and maps .

Roba, as @Bajaracer says, the key issue is whether you current phone is unlocked. If it is locked under your current contract, it might be simpler to purchase a cheap, basic handset, or resurrect one if you haven't disposed of a previous handset at some stage.

There are also several relatively inexpensive dual SIM handsets now that would allow you to use your Telstra service and have a local SIM in the second slot.

Given you have asked about using a local SIM, I am assuming you are aware that global roaming from Australia can be fairly expensive as you are paying for the overseas leg of the connection, not the caller. In the past Telstra weren't the cheapest in this regard!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Roba, as @Bajaracer says, the key issue is whether you current phone is unlocked. If it is locked under your current contract, it might be simpler to purchase a cheap, basic handset, or resurrect one if you haven't disposed of a previous handset at some stage.

There are also several relatively inexpensive dual SIM handsets now that would allow you to use your Telstra service and have a local SIM in the second slot.

Given you have asked about using a local SIM, I am assuming you are aware that global roaming from Australia can be fairly expensive as you are paying for the overseas leg of the connection, not the caller. In the past Telstra weren't the cheapest in this regard!

Yes Doug, I'm aware of phone locking and Global Roaming charges. My phone is unlocked, so when I travel overseas I always just put a local SIM card into it. I only fell into the Global Roaming trap once. Never again!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.