• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australian Pilgrim meetings

CaroleH

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Hello past, present and future camino pilgrims from Australia. This is a brilliant idea of Ivar's to give us our own area of the forum, so we can feel free to ask questions and hopefully, contribute answers about local meetings or happenings.

I'm CaroleH, from the south coast of NSW. My husband and I have walked 3 caminos or part caminos; firstly, Via de la Plata (from Salamanca), in 2006, Camino Portugues in 2007 and the Madrid to Sahagun, plus Finisterre and Muxia, in 2009. We are planning our BIG one next year, the VdlP. We love Spain and the camino and count the days until next visit.

There are regular CSJ get togethers in Sydney. Someone else may chip in with the exact dates. . . or I'll confirm later.

I hope everyone will feel free to ask about any little or big worries they have. This forum is great for help and advice.
Buen camino to all. CaroleH

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pilgrim meetings in Sydney. . . . run by CSJ members in an informal setting.

Meetings at Casa Asturiana
77 Liverpool St., Sydney

Next meetings: 7th July / dinner / 7pm
Then 7 Aug./ lunch/ 12 noon

Full Programme and more information on events in Australia. . . go to:

Australian Pilgrims page of CSJ . . .. http://www.csj.org.uk/australia.htm

Hi, this is Jo also from south coast of NSW. Just finished my first (part) Camino two weeks ago thanks mainly due to the wonderful support and encouragement from this forum that I did it at all. I only heard about the Camino last July and was very confronted by the idea of walking over the Pyrenees...certainly not for me I thought, a slightly stiff 62 year old.....however, as I researched all the information available and asked numerous questions on the forum my mind was also stretched and am happy to report I completed the journey from St Jean Pied de Pont to Leon in a little over four weeks. The climb over the Pyrenees was certainly not as mind blowing as I imagined but still quite a challenge.

I managed to survive with a total weight of 6.5 kgs to 7 kgs, a chest infection, and a few blisters. I was not amazingly fit to begin with but fit enough it seemed.

The Camino Francis was quite busy with pilgrims being Holy Year this year and was wonderful for me to meet so many amazing people from all over the world. I look forward to completing the Camino to Santiago either later this year or hopefully next year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Hannajo

Congratulations on your walk!! I am glad you made it safely and met lots of new friends. Your previous post was about footwear - how did you get on with the boots?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Well done, Hannajo, well done. You must feel proud of yourself. How did you keep your pack below 7kg? That's brilliant. I battle to get mine below 9-10kg, but I'm still working on it.

We live in the Illawarra. If you want to get together to debrief, just contact me via PM. Love to talk camino anytime. :roll:
Buen camino
Carole

Hello to all,

Helen and I walked our first Camino from SJPP-SDC in April-May 2009, What a wonderful, wonderful experience.
We only "stumbled" upon ithe Camino's existence in 2008 and it "captured" our hearts and minds until we did actually it, however, it wont let go but is constantly in our thoughts (I guess you know what I mean).
Helen & I are retired and live on the South Coast of NSW, this year was to be a year of building/renovations on our house, but we still haven't ruled out a "Holy Year" Camino around October/November.

Happy planning & Buen Camino to all from AUS & NZ.

Col

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all.
Sounds like a little South Coast pilgrim get together might be nice.?? Coffee or lunch or morning tea. Then we can talk camino without boring our friends and rellies!! We live in the Illawarra. Am happy to organise. Carole.

Hi Carole & all South Coast NSW Pilgrims,

Helen & I are in the Shoahaven, a South Coast get together sounds like a good idea.

Col

Hallo all south coast dwellers....well what a surprise....am feeling quite homesick now.....am back in UK on an extended working holiday and thought I would finish my Camino next May while I am still in this part of the world. I met only five Aussies in four weeks!! My home is in Nowra. My friend lives in Mollymook and was going to join me but ash cloud and then a broken arm collapsed all plans of a Camino.....unbelievable still! A get together would be great....let me know if you organise one as my friend may want to join you.

Hallo again Alan.....Aaaah! the boots! Well they were great...no breaking in issues but somehow I managed to get blisters (on my left foot only) despite all the two socks thing and vaseline rubs. Why only the left foot I dont know...someone suggested uneven weight which might bear some truth. I carried my water bottle on the left side and walking pole on the right so maybe!!

Carol...re the weight...I was quite ruthless...only one change of clothes with a pair of leggings and cami top for added warmth and sleeping, and my backpack (OMM 32 ltr) only weighed 600gms and sleeping bag the same. Didnt think I was capable of travelling light but so glad I did....when the blisters kicked in I thought the pack was still too heavy then.

In truth I found the Camino exhilerating, exhausting and sometimes agony.....I found the Meseta unbelievably hard but by then had developed a chest infection which made walking more difficult. I had a wonderful walking companion by then who was a great support.....so it is true, the Camino always provides what you need not what you necessarily want.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,
We live on the north coast of NSW in Maclean. Are there any other north coast pilgrims out there? For such a small town we have our 8th person walking a camino this year.
This site is great. When we started organising our first camino in 2007 we were searching for some info from Aussies but could not find anything except books such as "The Year We Seized the Day". There are quite a few Aussies interested in the Camino so our own Confraternity would be wonderful.
Sharon

HI all

i think that it's great to have this forum for Aussie Pilgrims. I live northern Sydney

I have walked Camino Frances (2), Camino Portugues (2), VLDP (1), Camino FInisterra (2 there and back). Haven't found any forum like this one to share info. Just back from the Camino Portugues/FInisterra last month and already planning next one.
A get together is a great idea :wink:

SHaz :D

Hello to all the other Australian pilgrims! My name's also Jo, I'm currently 18 and live on the north coast of NSW, a couple of minutes out of Lismore.

I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago last year in November and December, and am planning on walking from Le Puy to Santiago in a couple of years' time. But I have to start uni first. Then I can take a break from uni to come walk again! Yay.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all, especially South Coast of NSW peregrinos. Finally chosen a date and now a few of us are getting together for a casual lunch to share camino stories, information and photos. Love to hear from anyone who has walked a Spanish camino or planning to walk one, and is interested in joining us. You can contact me initially by Private Message on this Forum.

DATE: . Sunday 25th July , 2010 (St James Day)
PLACE: Oggi's Cafe,
. . . . . 22 Allowrie Street, (next to PO . . . just down from the Jamberoo Hotel)
. . . . . Jamberoo (45 mins south of Wollongong)

TIME:. . 11am for coffee and chat followed by .....
. . . . . 1.00 pm lunch

RSVP: . by 22 July please.

Buen camino a todos. Carole

Artemisofephesus said:
Hello to all the other Australian pilgrims! My name's also Jo, I'm currently 18 and live on the north coast of NSW, a couple of minutes out of Lismore.

I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago last year in November and December, and am planning on walking from Le Puy to Santiago in a couple of years' time. But I have to start uni first. Then I can take a break from uni to come walk again! Yay.

Hi Jo,
Great to hear of young people walking the caminos. Well done. You have many years and many caminos ahead of you. . . . unlike some of us who started much later (us in our 60s) and wish we'd started sooner.
Good luck with uni and planning next walk. :D
Buen camino. Carole

Artemisofephesus said:
Jo, I loved reading your blog as you walked. The weather, especially near O'Cebreiro, made it such an adventure for you! Thanks for sharing the journey with us armchair-dwellers at home.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the comments, KiwiNomad06 and CaroleH! It was definitely an adventure... especially with the snow! Luckily we met some great people who we were able to walk together with in that section! Would have been tough going on my own.

I have put a seperate post about this on the board, but am duplicating it here in case people miss it. We are having a gathering of interested pilgrims and potential pilgrims on July 25th (St James Day). Just for your info the outline of details are below:-

July 25th (St James Day).
The venue is St James Church, 90 Falcon Avenue, Mile End. (Adelaide)
Time 2.30 - gold coin donation, and please bring a plate of afternoon tea to share. Attached is the complete notice with contact details

Cheers, Janet

Hi Sharon

I have just found this Aussie site and it is great. I live in Grafton and I am planning to walk the VdlP from Sevilla on about March 27 2011. I have been planning the walk for 12 months and was originally going to walk from St Jean, but changed my mind after reading Tony Kevin's book ''WALKING THE CAMINO''. The book was very interesting, so I thought this is the walk I want to do. The fact it wasn't crowded convinced me. I have allowed myself 2 months in Spain and I don't want to hurry. This is my first Camino walk so it is diffivult to know if the body can take it. If you are planning any get togethers in Maclean I would be very interested in coming.

Cheers Judy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Judy,

Welcome. Yes this stream of the Forum is great, because of it we had a get together on the south coast last weekend, which was great fun and informative. But feel free to ask any questions here and I'm sure someone will provide answers.

So glad you are doing the VdlP. We love it,especially the wildflowers later in April; first walking from Salamanca in 2006, and now planning to do it from Huelva, not Sevilla, starting April 18 -24, 2011. So you'll be well along the way by then and good luck with it. A few Aussie's walking it next year, some about same time as you, so you will most likely meet some of them. Two months is good, enough to allow a few days in Spain, getting over jet lag etc. We usually have a week somewhere before, to prepare and do a few touristy things. If you have time at the end, it's nice to walk on to Finisterra and Muxia, or just veg out somewhere.

Good luck with your planning, and I am really excited for you. Buen camino. Carole :D

Hi Judy,
Have sent you a PM. Glad to know there are some more people in this area walking the Camino.
Sharon

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the message, I have sent you a PM. I hope you receive it as I'm still learning my way around computers.

Talk to you soon Judy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
sharon w said:
Hi everyone,
We live on the north coast of NSW in Maclean. Are there any other north coast pilgrims out there? For such a small town we have our 8th person walking a camino this year.
This site is great. When we started organising our first camino in 2007 we were searching for some info from Aussies but could not find anything except books such as "The Year We Seized the Day". There are quite a few Aussies interested in the Camino so our own Confraternity would be wonderful.
Sharon

Hi Sharon
We're back,
Gina & Georgia. Let's get that Confraternity happening!!!

Hi francesk, colinPeter etc.
My other writings are on the older pilgrim/new member's pages.
I will follow through on the Altus raincoat.. nothing worse than having more sweat inside the water proof coat than rain outside.!
As to footwear, I was considering proper leather or gortex hiking boots with a good gripping sole.: At 67 I'd prefer ankle supports and confidence that I won't slip onto my recently healed pelvis.
I intend to fly to Paris ex. Cairns on April 1'st. in six!!! weeks. I have dual nationality UK:Oz. I intend to use only the newly renewed Oz passport ($250.00) and not renew the UK/Eu one at $350;- Short of cash!.
Any problems with this?...would I need a visa? horrible to be turned back at the starting gate.
Thanks, dave.

No visa required.
You'll find every conceivable view on which footwear is best. My advice is to wear whatever you find most comfortable when walking at home, especially if you do a bit of bush walking. And well worn in, not new!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
....I was considering proper leather or gortex hiking boots with a good gripping sole.: At 67 I'd prefer ankle supports and confidence that I won't slip onto my recently healed pelvis. ...
Hi Dave,
Yes, as Kanga mentioned lot's of opinions on shoes/boots. I find the Gortex are generally a bit lighter, but you can get some lightweight leather (mids), which will give you decent support.
If you're worried about your pelvis (ie falling), you might consider walking poles, not hard to get the hang of, if you haven't used them before, and give great stability.
Colin

I don't wear leather because it takes so long to dry and I don't wear Goretex because it makes my feet sweat. I wear lightweight Asic runners. The rain pours straight through them but they dry almost instantly. Nothing is perfect. Your takes your chances....

....Your takes your chances....
Yes, I guess that's why there is such debate on shoes/boots because "chances are" one finds something works and another something else.
I wore Merrell leather Mids (Gortex lined) in 2009 (Lot's of snow & mud early on & but little rain in Galcacia) Merrell Mesh Upper (Gortex lined) in 2012 (Snow up front & days of rain and water filled paths in Galicia) but never a wet foot either time. (But then I've read that people have had different experiences in similar boots - maybe it's quality control?)
So it's a little bit of "Suck it and See" with footwear (and rain gear for that matter).
Buen Camino
Colin

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will follow through on the Altus raincoat.. nothing worse than having more sweat inside the water proof coat than rain outside.!
As to footwear, I was considering proper leather or gortex hiking boots with a good gripping sole.: At 67 I'd prefer ankle supports and confidence that I won't slip onto my recently healed pelvis.
I intend to fly to Paris ex. Cairns on April 1'st. in six!!! weeks. I have dual nationality UK:Oz. I intend to use only the newly renewed Oz passport ($250.00) and not renew the UK/Eu one at $350;- Short of cash!.
Any problems with this?...would I need a visa? horrible to be turned back at the starting gate.
Thanks, dave.

Dave - I advise you to keep hold of yr UK/EU passport too... not sure how long you intend to be in the EU, but on your AU passport you'd only have 90 days to travel within the so-called Schengen zone - that's the bulk of EU countries. UK had the good sense (for a change) not to sign the Schengen agreement so an AU p/port will get you 6 months in UK - but having a UK as well one means you will be free of any bureaucratic limitations o however long you intend to stay in the EU ..... I'd keep the 2 p/ports you have both current

happy trails
Peter

Peter 'Debing'.
Thank you for your erudite reply. It is a 500km. round trip to the nearest P.O. that has the EU passport forms and holds the interviews. I have tried to find out if a requirement for renewing a UK- EU passport requires both a ref. from someone who 'has known me' for three years and a signed photo by same. If so that would require another trip to Cairns at $200 of petrol - I have 6cyl. falcon with a gargantuan thirst!
As you will know, another benefit of the EU passport is that, if combined with an updated UK health card, medical treatment is 'free'. I will try to follow your advice. Thanks. Dave.

I know this is the wrong place for this post but I tried to create a thread and was de-permisioned.
here it is:
hi from dave
I'll fly from Cairns, Oz to Paris on April 1 st. 2014.
When I start the Camino all the essential documentation to get me home, passport, return tickets etc. will be in a bag round my neck.
As an "Old Fool" of 67 there is the possibility that said bag and I will become parted in the following weeks. A bright idea : Post it all to Santiago main post office. by registered mail.
From those of yous who've been pilgrims - is this a good idea, do things 'get lost in the mail'.
Thank you in advance.
dave

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know this is the wrong place for this post but I tried to create a thread and was de-permisioned.
here it is:
hi from dave
When I start the Camino all the essential documentation to get me home, passport, return tickets etc. will be in a bag round my neck.
As an "Old Fool" of 67 there is the possibility that said bag and I will become parted in the following weeks. A bright idea : Post it all to Santiago main post office. by registered mail.
From those of yous who've been pilgrims - is this a good idea, do things 'get lost in the mail'.
Thank you in advance.
dave
Hi Dave,
I would keep it with me at all times.
I think the document bag around the neck is as safe as it gets.
Buen
Colin

here it is:
hi from dave
Thank you in advance.
dave
Dave,
I'm not sure there is such a thing as registered post. Questions like this I would ask a local, (on this forum Rebekah Scott, who lives in Moratinos, or Ivan).
I always scan and email myself a copy of all valuable documents such as passport, ticket receipts, health insurance and credit cards. I can retrieve the information if I need it. If you don't already have one get yourself a free web email address such as Gmail, yahoo, iCloud - which you can access from a computer anywhere.
I always keep my passport in a zip locked plastic bag in the same place, a particular pocket in my walking pants during the day and in my pillowcase at night (my own pillowcase). Other people use lightweight security belts or neck pockets.
I think the main thing is to evolve a system so you automatically check whenever you are leaving anywhere - I mutter "phone, wallet, passport" as I go through the door.
It just becomes automatic after a while.

I got an immediate reply from Colin Peter.
The 'ignored member" title is intruiging : but that has never been the case with me.. I'm amazed by the almost instant, well thought out and caring replies from yous all.
Dave.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I intend to fly to Paris ex. Cairns on April 1'st. in six!!! weeks. I have dual nationality UK:Oz. I intend to use only the newly renewed Oz passport ($250.00) and not renew the UK/Eu one
Thanks, dave.
Dave - as long as the UK one is still current I would pop it in the backpack - just in case. But as you are unlikely to be in Spain/France for more than 90 days you are visa exempt on the Oz pp.
Now for the boots/shoes question - as Kanga says there are about as many opinions on this subject as there are pilgrims. A pair of mid-ankle gortex ones are probably best, but try on as many pairs as the shop has. (If you are near to Sydney maybe put a day aside and come in to Kent St - there are about 6 or so outback/trekking gear shops in the Liverpool/Market street blocks). As for overcoming sweaty feet - unless its raining I always take my boots off when I stop for lunch - maybe even take the socks (always 2 pair - thin liner and mid-level outers). This enables the feet to cool down and the shoes to breath. (Have just checked an it appears you are in Nth Qld so skip the Sydney stuff). Buen Camino;)

Dave, IMO, for what it's worth, a pair of trekking sticks (Pacer poles for choice) are going to be much more important to saving you from injury than what's on your feet. With proper use they become like an extra pair of legs, with the security of being four footed, instead of two. I have an eyesight problem, with absolutely no depth perception, and my sticks have saved me on numerous occasions.

GOODBYE

As would have seen from my earlier posts I was going to fly to Paris on 1- April.

The cost- Cairns to Paris went up $450.00 since I last asked in January.
Dollar down, Euro up!

Nontheless, having saved $2000.00 I went round the four major banks trying to get a loan or card
for the remaining $4,ooo.oo
Despite jointly owning our own home and a block of land I was turned down - Age Pensioner!! Yuk! .

Lacking common sense I should have checked out the finances before the "Camino Dream"
and before spending nine months intensively learning Spanish - although I did enjoy it.
Is it time to buy a cardigan, pipe and slippers and slip into senility ?Sulky Rhetorical question.
Thank you all for your help everyone. Dave.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone, I've noticed a lot if meetings happening in Sydney and Adelaide. Anyone know of meetings or catch ups for people been or wanting to go on camino for other states such as melbourne or qld?
Many thanks

Adam

GOODBYE
.... and slippers and slip into senility ?Sulky Rhetorical question.
Thank you all for your help everyone. Dave.

No Dave - just put it on the back-burner for a while. No slippers - keep your boots on (or Dunlop Volleys) and keep walking. Have a read of "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" and "The One-Hundred-Year-Old Man who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared". They might give you heart (or at least a laugh).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone, I've noticed a lot if meetings happening in Sydney and Adelaide. Anyone know of meetings or catch ups for people been or wanting to go on camino for other states such as melbourne or qld?
Many thanks Adam
Hi Adam
In Brisbane our mob is a section of Meetup groups.
Plug Camino into the Search box in the following link.
http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/brisbane/

I think there is an active group up on the sunshine coast also.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
As an American, I wish to encourage more Australians to walk the Camino. You know it's going to be a good day on the Camino when you are walking with an Aussie.

What a nice tolerant man you must be! Discerning and intelligent, too....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Adam

There is a Melbourne group on the Confraternity of St James' website http://www.csj.org.uk/australia.htm#mel The contact person has also been mentioned in Forum posts.

As well as enjoying the camaraderie that is part of the Camino experience, going to Camino meetings is a terrific opportunity to enhance your preparation for pilgrimage.

Hi Adam

There is a Melbourne group on the Confraternity of St James' website http://www.csj.org.uk/australia.htm#mel The contact person has also been mentioned in Forum posts.

As well as enjoying the camaraderie that is part of the Camino experience, going to Camino meetings is a terrific opportunity to enhance your preparation for pilgrimage.

Many thanks :)

As an American, I wish to encourage more Australians to walk the Camino. You know it's going to be a good day on the Camino when you are walking with an Aussie.
I wish you hadn't of said that Robert.
They're big headed enuf as it is, those Aussies.
Now if it's someone with charm, good looks, eloquent conversation, a sense of adventure, well then it's a Kiwi you should be looking for.
Did I forget 'Modest' ?
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:

€83,-
Hi Adam,
My name is Joanne Cashman, you are welcome to join "Camino Community in Melbourne" gatherings on the last Friday of each month. Please see link for details.
I created this group about 18 months ago after an unsuccessfully search for a Melbourne based Camino gathering to attend.
http://www.meetup.com/Camino-Community/
These gatherings are open to all past, future or prospective pilgrims of the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back