• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australians - Aldi next Saturday, gear for sale

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
No commercial interests - just a heads-up in case anyone is on the lookout - next Saturday (8 July) Aldi in Australia is selling everything to completely outfit oneself for a camino - including merino t -shirts (long and short), merino thermal underwear, hiking pants, technical tops, hiking socks (merino and tech), hiking boots, breathable waterproof jackets, backpacks, lightweight sleeping bags - the lot.

I have found their merino is variable - one t-shirt has been fantastic and I've worn it almost every day on two long caminos and it still looks like new, and also a slightly thicker bikers jumper has been fantastic. Whereas a couple of thin long sleeve jumpers went to holes very quickly. I've also found the technical hiking socks good.

I have no idea what next Saturday's gear will be like, but I'll certainly be there to buy a t-shirt and having a look. If you are interested look at the website (google it).

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No commercial interests - just a heads-up in case anyone is on the lookout - next Saturday (8 July) Aldi is selling everything to completely outfit oneself for a camino - including merino t -shirts (long and short), merino thermal underwear, hiking pants, technical tops, hiking socks (merino and tech), hiking boots, breathable waterproof jackets, backpacks, lightweight sleeping bags - the lot.

I have found their merino is variable - one t-shirt has been fantastic and I've worn it almost every day on two long caminos and it still looks like new, and also a slightly thicker bikers jumper has been fantastic. Whereas a couple of thin long sleeve jumpers went to holes very quickly. I've also found the technical hiking socks good.

I have no idea what next Saturday's gear will be like, but I'll certainly be there to buy a t-shirt and having a look. If you are interested look at the website (google it).

Thanks i cldnt find their catalog. Do u know how much the merino shirts are?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a bummer for me. The Aldi's in my "neck of the woods" (northern Illinois USA) only sells food and food related items. :(

I rather doubt the local Aldi, here in Delray Beach, Florida is going to carry these items.:eek: But thank you for the heads up.:)

well the header specifically says Australia.

Although Aldi and Lidl regularly have hiking items as " special sell of the week ". Depending on which country in which hemisphere.
Must say these items will always be sold out on the first day of the specials.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just edited my post - although the heading says it too - this is for Australia. I shall also move it to the Australia section of the forum

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Kanga. We will be there next Saturday. We have happily worn Aldi hiking socks for our two Caminos and other long distance walks. Also their merino thermal tops we bought in 2014 are still going strong.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Kanga. As a family of 4 planning our first Camino early next year, I am sure the savings will be significant for us. Will definitely try to get to a store.

Merino fabric is fantastic
I live in Tasmania and find it keeps one really warm on bold days but also easy to wear in summer. Also odour resistant unlike polyester stuff.
Looking forward to.my next Camino! Looking at mid-April start - maybe from Le Puy.
I see that stage 15 of the TDF starts there. Will be watching for a glimpse of this area!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re holes in merino t-shirts: if you have moths in the house, merino is their favourite food!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Aldi merino t-shirts are $25, long-sleeve $30, merino thermals are $30, merino underdaks $13. What the quality will be like I don't know.

The Aldi merino t-shirts are $25, long-sleeve $30, merino thermals are $30, merino underdaks $13. What the quality will be like I don't know.
That's a really good price. Get there early! There will be a queue - presuming quality is okay. But Aldi usually is a very good bargain

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Eeek! I've just realised I'll be on a plane to Brisbane. I'll have to deputise another family member to go for me.

No commercial interests - just a heads-up in case anyone is on the lookout - next Saturday (8 July) Aldi in Australia is selling everything to completely outfit oneself for a camino - including merino t -shirts (long and short), merino thermal underwear, hiking pants, technical tops, hiking socks (merino and tech), hiking boots, breathable waterproof jackets, backpacks, lightweight sleeping bags - the lot.

Backpack looks good......

Great stuff Kanga ! I'm wearing Aldi merino in Barcelona at this moment . It served me well over the last month and a half and still looks great . It costs a fraction of the price charged by other outlets . So much so that the difference over a number of items could pay for a night in the Parador Hotel !
I do recall a ' Veteran ' member decrying the promotion of Aldi products on the forum not so long ago however . Perhaps they are not prepared to tackle a Kanga as much as a novice member .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The thing I found with Aldi clothes is their fit/sizes can be, ah, unexpected.... and some features can be truly weird (e.g. I got a hiking jacket with overly sleeves.)
My advice is.... buy the size you think will fit, head home (or the shopping mall's public loo!) and try all items on. Then go back before the items sell out, and exchange the sizes (or get a refund if necessary.)

Yes, although I often pick up several sizes to take home to try. I take the unwanted stuff back straight away, and packed neatly, and I've never had a problem getting a refund. I think it fair enough as it is part of their business model that you can't try things on in the shop.

The thing I found with Aldi clothes is their fit/sizes can be, ah, unexpected.... and some features can be truly weird (e.g. I got a hiking jacket with overly sleeves.)
My advice is.... buy the size you think will fit, head home (or the shopping mall's public loo!) and try all items on. Then go back before the items sell out, and exchange the sizes (or get a refund if necessary.)
I just wore shorts and top and tried on over. The hiking pants are pretty small for the sizes. I bought my size even tho its a bit tight. Hopefully i can lose weight before i need them. Famous last words

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back