• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australians allowed to travel.

For example, the advice on https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal doesn't use the phrase 'direct flights' at all. It talks about flights, and my view is simply that it means all flights from, for example, Australia and several other countries. I caveat that with the observation that I cannot see the legal instrument in its original form
I did have a look at their current legal instruments in force; major parts of the texts are identical with current EU recommendations and regulations. But I am not - or rather no longer - trying to explain how I understand them. I am simply puzzled by their information policy and the contradictions and the ongoing confusion that does rein; we are now two years into Covid-19 travel restrictions, it is nothing new. In any case, the major hurdle is not the documents that are (or are not) checked at final disembarkation but at initial embarkation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Valerie. I am travelling to Portugal in about 3 weeks and the maze of conflicting information is a pain to negotiate. In the end I contacted the Portuguese embassy in Canberra and asked them if the Australian international certificate was accepted. The told me it was and sent a link to confirm. Maybe you should contact the German embassy and check with them.
Hi Lindsay53,
Like you we are flying into Lisbon from Australia (supposedly) and just wondering how you have got on as Portugal is limited to only essential travel. We are thinking of changing flight to arrive in Madrid and then bus to Lisbon. Any info would be helpful.Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully things will be back to pre-COVID times in early November. I have just purchased my tickets for Paris then on to the Camino Aragones from Somport.

At last I feel it is ok to go back to the camino. - hopefully in May but September is another option . Are there any other New Zealanders and Australians that think it is time to go back?
You bet. Will go in April/May 2023 to let Covid issues settle in. Not prepared to go just yet and risk contracting Covid or getting tied up in cancelled flights, hotel bookings etc., if lockdowns occur again. It was a nightmare last year trying to get money and credits back. Look forward to the Camino from Porto to Santiago in 2023. To those planning to go shortly, good luck and enjoy the hiking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How interesting - some fellow Australians planning to walk the Baztan. We - Australian / French - are flying Sydney to Paris on 21 March and, after time with family and friends and walking the Chemin du Piemont in April, we are planning to walk the Baztan in early May. Love the Basque country.
Hi, my husband and I are hoping to walk the Chemin du Piemont and adding in the Baztan next year. I would love to hear of your experiences of both these caminos. Wishing you well, buen camino. Marilyn, NZ.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back