• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australians allowed to travel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At last I feel it is ok to go back to the camino. - hopefully in May but September is another option . Are there any other New Zealanders and Australians that think it is time to go back?
Hello - yes, I’m booked on a flight out of Sydney 4 May. Starting from Pamplona.
That said, I’ll believe it when I’m on the flight🤗

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At last I feel it is ok to go back to the camino. - hopefully in May but September is another option . Are there any other New Zealanders and Australians that think it is time to go back?
I’m heading out at the end of May Al- just a short Camino this time so a friend can finally make it to Santiago & she only has 2 weeks. It will be wonderful to be able to travel to Europe again! Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've got my tickets! Planning to walk in May, following a family event in Toulon, France. I'm still not quite decided about which pilgrimage route, but probably the Via Tolosana from Arles - I will have a month to walk. I am very, very happy.

Absolutely time. I have booked a flight for 27th April and will start walking on May 1 from San Sebastián. We will walk Norte to Ribadeo then Ruta del Mar and Camino dos Faros to Finisterre. Then into Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello - yes, I’m booked on a flight out of Sydney 4 May. Starting from Pamplona.
Have you looked at what flights are available and the cost??

Absolutely time. I have booked a flight for 27th April and will start walking on May 1 from San Sebastián. We will walk Norte to Ribadeo then Ruta del Mar and Camino dos Faros to Finisterre. Then into Santiago
Have walked Norte and looking at Ruta del Mar and Faros after I walk Portuguese this year. Any comments you can make on these, afer or during your walks, would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy.

Yes, 5 of us leave Brisbane 19th April for Via de la Plata.
As you leave Seville on the right there is what looks like a run down monastery ( attached to it is a home for needy people) It is free for pilgrims (from 10am???) and the inside is stunning. More like a palace. When the king died and the the queen moves to a monastery - it looks as if they just moved into another palace. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've got my tickets! Planning to walk in May, following a family event in Toulon, France. I'm still not quite decided about which pilgrimage route, but probably the Via Tolosana from Arles - I will have a month to walk. I am very, very happy.
I have done that walk - a very quiet one, but very nice. The best part for me was from Pau then over the Somport Pass to Puente la Reina.

I have done that walk - a very quiet one, but very nice. The best part for me was from Pau then over the Somport Pass to Puente la Reina.
Great to know, thanks. I can't explain why, but I really want to experience starting the chemin from Arles, it is a beautiful place. I understand this chemin is a quiet one, with less infrastructure, and that concerns me a bit, but I speak French well enough. I am looking forward to the crossing at the Col de Somport. I may have to extend my trip if I decide to walk all the to Santiago de Compostella again. I am happy, so happy, to be able to see my French friends again and then return to the Chemin/Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cheaper than expected. My tickets (Adelaide-Nice return, Emirates) cost just A$10 more than i paid, same itinerary, in 2018. It's the travel insurance that's so costly now- twice as much as in 2018.
I have heard that in Galicia travelers that cant fly because of covid are covered for accommodation and medical???

Great to know, thanks. I can't explain why, but I really want to experience starting the chemin from Arles, it is a beautiful place. I understand this chemin is a quiet one, with less infrastructure, and that concerns me a bit, but I speak French well enough. I am looking forward to the crossing at the Col de Somport. I may have to extend my trip if I decide to walk all the to Santiago de Compostella again. I am happy, so happy, to be able to see my French friends again and then return to the Chemin/Camino.
I recommend wearing long pants over Somport. From the long grass I had 12 tiny ticks and I was getting them off other travellers 2 days later.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have walked Norte and looking at Ruta del Mar and Faros after I walk Portuguese this year. Any comments you can make on these, afer or during your walks, would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy.
One of my options is the central route from Porto in early May then the Primativo and??? If you do the Faros then please post your thoughts as I have not meet anyone that has done it.

Walking out from Seville on 9 April, Al. I’ll have Spot, my trailer, with me as usual.
Buen Camino for your Camino -
Cheers -
Jenny
Hi Jenny - I hope you get to the Sydney Camino meeting on the 5th. See you all at the Cheers bar.

Last edited:
Flights booked from Australia for the Via de la Plata for April after the Easter rush

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have not yet looked at flights or costs. What airline did you decide on????

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have heard that in Galicia travelers that cant fly because of covid are covered for accommodation and medical???
You still MUST have travel insurance, though! Not just for COVID. There was mention of the possibility of cover in Galicia in another thread, can't remember where, though, sorry...

Flights booked from Australia for the Via de la Plata for April after the Easter rush
Semana Santa (Holy Week) in Spain is the seven days leading up to Easter Sunday. We saw this while on the de la Plata and it is Spain's biggest holiday. If you haven't been lucky enough to see it - it is highly recommended. 1am we were woken up with the parade below our window it went for over an hour and was spectacular. We wondered how there was a chapter of the KKK there.

You still MUST have travel insurance, though! Not just for COVID. There was mention of the possibility of cover in Galicia in another thread, can't remember where, though, sorry...
Thanks for the reminder, I have relied on my credit card insurance in the past and the one time that I needed it (in Thailand) they responded perfectly and paid up promptly. I need to see if anything has changed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the reminder, I have relied on my credit card insurance in the past and the one time that I needed it (in Thailand) they responded perfectly and paid up promptly. I need to see if anything has changed.
Yep, it's changed - at least, my bank and credit card have changed, on this point.

As you leave Seville on the right there is what looks like a run down monastery ( attached to it is a home for needy people) It is free for pilgrims and the inside is stunning. More like a palace. When the king died and the the queen moves to a monastery - it looks as if they just moved into another palace. Highly recommended.
Hi Al , Thankyou- sounds really interesting-how far out of Seville roughly- do you have any contact details??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Semana Santa (Holy Week) in Spain is the seven days leading up to Easter Sunday. We saw this while on the de la Plata and it is Spain's biggest holiday. If you haven't been lucky enough to see it - it is highly recommended. 1am we were woken up with the parade below our window it went for over an hour and was spectacular. We wondered how there was a chapter of the KKK there.
Unfortunately I arrive in Sevilla on the 19 April,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From Melbourne Australia and I booked Sept 22 (with Emirates, to Dubai then Barcelona taking 5 days to get to St Jean) sometime ago, the flights are now cheaper but I’m stuck with that. Just planning as though it will happen, had to cancel 2020 so all things crossed we can still travel in Sept. First time walking Camino de Santiago, extremely excited.

Last edited:
Have you looked at what flights are available and the cost??
Yes I’ve booked flights. Qantas/Emirates to Dubai and Madrid. Approx $1900, but had some FF points to bring it down. Went for $200 cancellation fee rather than $500, which would have been less. Also, wanted most direct flight.
Not sure if I will bus or train to Pamplona. Have booked accomodation for Pamplona and first two nights.

Please postYes. I'm booked to fly Brisbane to Madrid on 24th April. On to SJPP on 26th, Begin walking 27th.🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️
I haven't looked into flights yet - Which airline did you choose? Please post on the albergue situation re. the need to book ahead and if a sleeping bag is required. My mate is a newby and I may be a week or two behind you. (I suspect family issues mean that he may not get away) In which case it is the Portuguese central and the Primativo???

I walked Norte in 2017 but will stop in different towns and see how it’s changed. Will definitely report back on Ruta del Mar dos Faros. Enjoy Portuguese are you starting in Lisboa?

I walked Norte in 2017 but will stop in different towns and see how it’s changed. Will definitely report back on Ruta del Mar dos Faros. Enjoy Portuguese are you starting in Lisboa?
If I start in Portugal it will be early May from Porto on the central route - I am hoping to volunteer before I start. I don't train so it is my warm up for the Primativo in June??

€83,-
I haven't looked into flights yet - Which airline did you choose? Please post on the albergue situation re. the need to book ahead and if a sleeping bag is required. My mate is a newby and I may be a week or two behind you. (I suspect family issues mean that he may not get away) In which case it is the Portuguese central and the Primativo???
We booked with Emirates 2+ yrs ago and have been postponing ... until now. I have booked SJPDP and Roncesvalles, and will
See what happens after that. 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️

We booked with Emirates 2+ yrs ago and have been postponing ... until now. I have booked SJPDP and Roncesvalles, and will
See what happens after that. 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️
Emirates was the best (from Adelaide) with fewest stops en route and with arrivals into Nice or Lyon (as well as Paris).

Me too. However my circumstances mean I will need to star very early November for 5 weeks. Still thinking re open Albergues and whether there will be enough other pilgrims enroute.

I'm booked with a friend, flying by Emirates from Sydney to Lisbon on 13 April 2022. Assuming nothing else goes wrong (assuming? that is optimistic!) Theoretically Australians can only enter Portugal for "essential reasons" but that is likely to change. If not we can change our flights to land in Madrid and make our way to Portugal by train. Weirdly it is perfectly OK for (vaccinated) Australians to enter from another EU country.

What is entertaining me at the moment is deciding between my old pack and new one. To make it fair I have filled them both with exactly the same weight, and I'm wearing them around the house...

What is entertaining me at the moment is deciding between my old pack and new one. To make it fair I have filled them both with exactly the same weight, and I'm wearing them around the house...
Sounds like perfectly reasonable behaviour to me 😎

We are flying Sydney to Paris on 21 March. And, as of a few days go - we don’t need a pre departure pcr test with Singapore airlines now if in transit less than 24 hours - for the flight we are on, en route to Paris. Things are definitely moving in the right direction. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds like perfectly reasonable behaviour to me 😎

We are flying Sydney to Paris on 21 March. And, as of a few days go - we don’t even need a pre departure pcr test with Singapore airlines now if in transit less than 24 hours. Things are definitely moving in the right direction. 👍
Flying SQ BNE to CDG on 14 May. Good news re the no-PCR requirement. Doing the Frances, then down to Finisterra and Muxia - again, but can’t get enough of it. Cooee

Hi guys. I'm flying out of Sydney on Monday 7th March. 😁 I'm flying into Munich to catch up with 2 peregrinos I met during 2017. Then I will head to SJPP by train, probably via Paris. I'm planning to walk to Finisterra & Muxia, this time in Spring rather than Autumn. I will possibly start walking around 24 March. Hopefully not to crowded by the last 100km into Santiago.
I am booked to fly home from Madrid on 26 May. Plenty of time.
I was due to fly out 1st April, 2020, but....😭. However, I've just had longer to look forward to it.
I'm flying with Qatar via Doha. My total flight fare (into Munich, out of Madrid, is $1500, including full insurance)
I think the COVID risk seems to be about the same as going into Coles or the pharmacy here. 🤷‍♀️ I'm trying to be cautious but not paranoid, & most of the Camino is out in the beautiful fresh countryside. 🌻 My opinion? Go for it!!

Yep, I'm off too. But this time to the UK. The Cumbria way, Hadrians wall then St Oswald's way. Thanks to an old thread with idea from @VNwalking. I was a hairsbreath from booking flights etc in 2020 then the dreaded C-19. Singapore Air $1800 return with all cancellation insurances. Travel insurance costs not as bad as I was expecting. So all go for May. 🥳Yipee!! I'm gonna be a rambler instead of a pilgrim this time😁
Happy hiking all
Cheers Carmel(Brisbane)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Australia is an island off the north west coast of New Zealand 😊 and is not part of New Zealand, Australia had different travel restrictions.
New Zealanders could always travel abroad during Covid but had to quarantine when they returned.
I have edited the title to reflect same.
This is always appreciated 😂

I’m planning to commence my fist Camino in late April, will be leaving from Melbourne and planning to do the Del Norte,haven’t purchased my air tickets yet so have been reading the posts here re different options and costs with interest.
One of the things Ive been pondering is the issue of vaccination passports. I know that our Australian proof of vaccine wasn’t recognized in Europe and had been causing issues for Australian travelers , I’ve seen some workarounds outlined in other threads, and I also understand that it is no longer a requirement to show your vaccination passport to enter restaurants, accommodation etc in Spain . So probably not going to be an issue when I arrive. However! I have been wondering what would happen if things change/deteriorate during my walk and the need for proof of vaccination is reintroduced and our Australian documentation still isn’t recognized. I’m wondering if I should get my Australian proof of vaccination converted to European whilst in Hendaye at the start of my Camino. What are people thoughts on this?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are looking at July 2023, hopefully nothing will happen to prevent that ❤️ 🙏

I’m planning to commence my fist Camino in late April, will be leaving from Melbourne and planning to do the Del Norte,haven’t purchased my air tickets yet so have been reading the posts here re different options and costs with interest.
One of the things Ive been pondering is the issue of vaccination passports. I know that our Australian proof of vaccine wasn’t recognized in Europe and had been causing issues for Australian travelers , I’ve seen some workarounds outlined in other threads, and I also understand that it is no longer a requirement to show your vaccination passport to enter restaurants, accommodation etc in Spain . So probably not going to be an issue when I arrive. However! I have been wondering what would happen if things change/deteriorate during my walk and the need for proof of vaccination is reintroduced and our Australian documentation still isn’t recognized. I’m wondering if I should get my Australian proof of vaccination converted to European whilst in Hendaye at the start of my Camino. What are people thoughts on this?
I will follow this post - I need to know this as well

Hi Del, Get an International Vaccination Certificate. You can get via MyGov online. As well as digital copy, print off some hard copies. I believe Doha airport will require & keep a hard copy. Not sure who else, but a couple of spares in a waterproof zip lock bag will not be a great load to carry. I fly out tomorrow week & am getting my head around the COVID requirements, including Digital Registration Form for travellers.
Also, let Electoral Commission know you will be away for Australian election to be held in May. Can be done online.
Just remember to MTS..... Minus The Stress.
Life on the Camino is so much simpler when you get there. Food, water, health & shelter. No multitasking. Just WONDERFUL! Hope this is helpful.

Hi Del, Get an International Vaccination Certificate. You can get via MyGov online. As well as digital copy, print off some hard copies. I believe Doha airport will require & keep a hard copy. Not sure who else, but a couple of spares in a waterproof zip lock bag will not be a great load to carry. I fly out tomorrow week & am getting my head around the COVID requirements, including Digital Registration Form for travellers.
Also, let Electoral Commission know you will be away for Australian election to be held in May. Can be done online.
Just remember to MTS..... Minus The Stress.
Life on the Camino is so much simpler when you get there. Food, water, health & shelter. No multitasking. Just WONDERFUL! Hope this is helpful.
Thanks happyValerie, some good advice about the electoral commission , completely forgot about that!
Re the international vaccination certificate, my understanding is that this is the document at that Australian travelers have been having difficulties with. It’s got something to do with the QR codes between the European and Australian system not being compatible. So when you present your Australian International Travellers certificate it is not recognized as valid in European countries. There has been a couple of threads on the forum that go into detail about this and if you google “problems with Australian international vaccination certificates “ lots of articles will come up. It’s just mind boggling that our government did not consider the implications of this when developing the certificate. Maybe the aforementioned upcoming election might rectify this. Just saying!

Planning to walk Camino from 27 March, most likely the Camino del Baztan. Flying with Qatar via Doha and Barcelona, leaving Sydney on 23 March.
It will be wonderful and a big break from farm life!!

I have my paper vaccination certificate and are checking other requirements. I understand that I should present my passport and the paper version of my original vaccination certificate to a French a pharmacy offering the service to get a vaccine equivalency pass (see: https://www.sante.fr/how-to-obtain-a-french-health-pass). I understand this will be recognised in Spain and Portugal.

The rural towns folk will appreciate the custom in these challenging times and your support; as will our European colleagues. Hopefully some of the Camino del Baztán albergues will be open. I have purchased the guide from Gerald Kelley from Amazon to smooth out the bumps and provide accommodation options.

I look forward to a wonderful yet quiet Camino del Baztán; along country very similar to mine in many ways.

I hope the discussion of my preparation assist fellow Australian pilgrims in this quiet Holy Year.
Buen Camino!

€83,-
Ideed yes. We plan to do Camino Baztan (a short but very beautiful one) in early August.We are then going on to Nepal to do a pony trek in Upper Mustang. Well, that's the plan at the moment. Ann and Kerith (Australia)

Hi guys. I'm flying out of Sydney on Monday 7th March. 😁 I'm flying into Munich to catch up with 2 peregrinos I met during 2017. Then I will head to SJPP by train, probably via Paris. I'm planning to walk to Finisterra & Muxia, this time in Spring rather than Autumn. I will possibly start walking around 24 March. Hopefully not to crowded by the last 100km into Santiago.
I am booked to fly home from Madrid on 26 May. Plenty of time.
I was due to fly out 1st April, 2020, but....😭. However, I've just had longer to look forward to it.
I'm flying with Qatar via Doha. My total flight fare (into Munich, out of Madrid, is $1500, including full insurance)
I think the COVID risk seems to be about the same as going into Coles or the pharmacy here. 🤷‍♀️ I'm trying to be cautious but not paranoid, & most of the Camino is out in the beautiful fresh countryside. 🌻 My opinion? Go for it!!
Who did you get your insurance with? We are planning Camino Baztan in early August followed by a pony trek in nepal. need to be fully covered. thanks, Ann

How interesting - some fellow Australians planning to walk the Baztan. We - Australian / French - are flying Sydney to Paris on 21 March and, after time with family and friends and walking the Chemin du Piemont in April, we are planning to walk the Baztan in early May. Love the Basque country.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks happyValerie, some good advice about the electoral commission , completely forgot about that!
Re the international vaccination certificate, my understanding is that this is the document at that Australian travelers have been having difficulties with. It’s got something to do with the QR codes between the European and Australian system not being compatible. So when you present your Australian International Travellers certificate it is not recognized as valid in European countries. There has been a couple of threads on the forum that go into detail about this and if you google “problems with Australian international vaccination certificates “ lots of articles will come up. It’s just mind boggling that our government did not consider the implications of this when developing the certificate. Maybe the aforementioned upcoming election might rectify this. Just saying!
It's more complicated than that - (not just about lack of equivalency between AUS and French vaccination certificates). At time of writing, you will be required to obtain a "pass vaccinal," and load the French "TousAntCovid" government app to display it, on arrival in France. Without these, you are prevented from entering museums, most shops/restaurants/cafes or traveling on most public transport. You obtain the pass at one of the pharmacies listed on the French health site referenced above (not all pharmacies are credentialed to convert your Australian certificate to the French pass). To get the pass vaccinal, you must show your Australian passport and Australian International Vaccination Certificate (extra printed copies as well as the digital certificate are probably a very good idea) - the pharmacist views/assesses your docs and approves the French pass, which is then displayed on the TousAntiCovid app. There is another thread somewhere here on the Forum explaining the process. All this may change again, the French processes have already changed at least 3 times this year, as I understand it. Best to look at the relevant government health sites (French, Spanish, Portuguese...) to be sure you've got the most current info. Also, don't forget to inform yourselves about Australian requirements for return to Oz, forms and COVID testing etc....

Who did you get your insurance with? We are planning Camino Baztan in early August followed by a pony trek in nepal. need to be fully covered. thanks, Ann
Hi Ann, after doing the online registration and a detailed telephone interview, I have insurance with Comminsure. This covers hiking. Trekking and horse riding require an additional premiums.

Eek! Thank you, Del.
It's more complicated than that - (not just about lack of equivalency between AUS and French vaccination certificates). At time of writing, you will be required to obtain a "pass vaccinal," and load the French "TousAntCovid" government app to display it, on arrival in France. Without these, you are prevented from entering museums, most shops/restaurants/cafes or traveling on most public transport. You obtain the pass at one of the pharmacies listed on the French health site referenced above (not all pharmacies are credentialed to convert your Australian certificate to the French pass). To get the pass vaccinal, you must show your Australian passport and Australian International Vaccination Certificate (extra printed copies as well as the digital certificate are probably a very good idea) - the pharmacist views/assesses your docs and approves the French pass, which is then displayed on the TousAntiCovid app. There is another thread somewhere here on the Forum explaining the process. All this may change again, the French processes have already changed at least 3 times this year, as I understand it. Best to look at the relevant government health sites (French, Spanish, Portuguese...) to be sure you've got the most current info. Also, don't forget to inform yourselves about Australian requirements for return to Oz, forms and COVID testing etc....
Thank you, Anna. A slight additional problem .. . I'm flying into Munich, Germany, before making my way to SJPP to start walking. I thought I was triple checking everything regarding requirements for leaving Australia & landing in Germany. I've been trying to google info to see if I will be able to travel by train in Germany, even from the airport to city. There even seems inconsistent info regarding needing to complete the Digital Travel Certificate. Australia is classified as a high risk area, but then while filling the certificate, as soon as I enter Australia, it says not high risk, no need to complete. 🤷‍♀️
Why do they name our International Vaccination Certificate if it doesn't really achieve anything? 🤷‍♀️ (Not really expecting to answer this last question)
Any suggestions, anybody? It would be nice to be able to get a coffee, or a beer?
I really appreciate being able to air & share my concerns. 🙏

€46,-
Eek! Thank you, Del.

Thank you, Anna. A slight additional problem .. . I'm flying into Munich, Germany, before making my way to SJPP to start walking. I thought I was triple checking everything regarding requirements for leaving Australia & landing in Germany. I've been trying to google info to see if I will be able to travel by train in Germany, even from the airport to city. There even seems inconsistent info regarding needing to complete the Digital Travel Certificate. Australia is classified as a high risk area, but then while filling the certificate, as soon as I enter Australia, it says not high risk, no need to complete. 🤷‍♀️
Why do they name our International Vaccination Certificate if it doesn't really achieve anything? 🤷‍♀️ (Not really expecting to answer this last question)
Any suggestions, anybody? It would be nice to be able to get a coffee, or a beer?
Hi Valerie. I am travelling to Portugal in about 3 weeks and the maze of conflicting information is a pain to negotiate. In the end I contacted the Portuguese embassy in Canberra and asked them if the Australian international certificate was accepted. The told me it was and sent a link to confirm. Maybe you should contact the German embassy and check with them.

Eek! Thank you, Del.

I agree about the uncertainty and confusion re: travel requirements but a lot of this is coming from the destination countries, not our own country. For eg, France recently downgraded Australia (and other countries) from "green zone" to "orange zone," meaning their assessment indicated our COVID situation had deteriorated. I think NZ still enjoys green zone status, but I also think EVERYONE, locals and visitors, have to be able to prove vaccination status. We can do that with our Oz Vax certicates, they ARE recognized internationally but the QR codes on our paperwork just aren't functional on foreign systems. So, they need to be converted. That's my take on it, anyway!

Thank you so much for all your advice & support. I can feel my Camino family already. ♡ I will try the German Embassy & let you know how I get on.
Hopefully...🍻 😊

€149,-
We would like to walk a fair chunk of the Via Francigena from Bersancon to Rome starting in mid August . Haven’t booked flights out of Sydney yet but will wait a few more months to see if any variant appears.

Hi, a fellow Aussie here, I’m going in April- first time so nervous excited! Stating SJPDP April 27 😊 a lot more to consider with logistics now but I feel I just have to jump in there and do it! Buen Camino to you.

Hi @Sandra it’s Jenny from Pretty Beach. Hope your plans are going well. We leave for Paris on 21 March. Yeah! Sure there are still a few extra things to consider but it’s become progressively easier since we met up. And probably even easier by the time you head off. Safe travels and Buen camino 😎

Hi, a fellow Aussie here, I’m going in April- first time so nervous excited! Stating SJPDP April 27 😊 a lot more to consider with logistics now but I feel I just have to jump in there and do it! Buen Camino to you.
Sandra, you have every reason to feel excited, being on the threshold of possibly your life's most wonderful experience/adventure. Enjoy every minute of your looking-forward & preparation......your Camino has already begun! Let Faith always win over fear. Everyone's Camino is different, just as every person is different. I'm flying out of Sydney next Monday to do the Camino for the second time ( opposite season....spring this time) .I'm going via Germany to have a brief meet up with 2 peregrinos (pligrims) I met last time, then to SJPP to start walking, maybe by 24 March. I will still be walking on 27 April so will send special thoughts & prayers your way, especially that morning. Buen Camino ( words that will become frequent music to your ears) 😁

Thank you so much for all your advice & support. I can feel my Camino family already. ♡ I will try the German Embassy & let you know how I get on.
Hopefully...🍻 😊
Germany has now down/ up? graded Australia from "high risk" & conversion of our Australian International Vaccination Certificate to EU one is now becoming available at pharmacies. I'm starting breathe a little easier. 😊

Hi @Sandra it’s Jenny from Pretty Beach. Hope your plans are going well. We leave for Paris on 21 March. Yeah! Sure there are still a few extra things to consider but it’s become progressively easier since we met up. And probably even easier by the time you head off. Safe travels and Buen camino 😎
Hi Jenny, good to hear from you. Not long for you now! Have a wonderful trip. Buen Camino to you too. I'm loving all the up to date info from this forum- it's reassuring to know others are getting out there.. very exciting to be preparing to finally go!

Hi Valerie. I am travelling to Portugal in about 3 weeks and the maze of conflicting information is a pain to negotiate. In the end I contacted the Portuguese embassy in Canberra and asked them if the Australian international certificate was accepted. The told me it was and sent a link to confirm. Maybe you should contact the German embassy and check with them.
How recently was this? I contacted them on 23 Feb, and was told that the Australian certificate was not accepted yet, but they were working on getting it accepted.

ps I have just checked the site at https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal and Australia is still not listed as a being allowed for both essential and non-essential travel.

pps as already mentioned by @Kanga there are European countries, Spain included, that do accept the Australian International Vaccination Certificate. It would be possible to arrive by air into one of those and then travel overland to Portugal. Spain is clearly the most convenient, but the rail networks are generally pretty good in Europe, and you might want to do a longer journey for other reasons.

Last edited:
Sandra, you have every reason to feel excited, being on the threshold of possibly your life's most wonderful experience/adventure. Enjoy every minute of your looking-forward & preparation......your Camino has already begun! Let Faith always win over fear. Everyone's Camino is different, just as every person is different. I'm flying out of Sydney next Monday to do the Camino for the second time ( opposite season....spring this time) .I'm going via Germany to have a brief meet up with 2 peregrinos (pligrims) I met last time, then to SJPP to start walking, maybe by 24 March. I will still be walking on 27 April so will send special thoughts & prayers your way, especially that morning. Buen Camino ( words that will become frequent music to your ears) 😁
Thank you so much for the encouragement. Buen Camino to you, your trip sounds wonderful

Thanks Jenny , Buen Camino, not long now for you 🤗

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How recently was this? I contacted them on 23 Feb, and was told that the Australian certificate was not accepted yet, but they were working on getting it accepted.

ps I have just checked the site at https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal and Australia is still not listed as a being allowed for both essential and non-essential travel.

pps as already mentioned by @Kanga there are European countries, Spain included, that do accept the Australian International Vaccination Certificate. It would be possible to arrive by air into one of those and then travel overland to Portugal. Spain is clearly the most convenient, but the rail networks are generally pretty good in Europe, and you might want to do a longer journey for other reasons.
This was 10 February. I have deleted the email but his was the link they sent. It's in Portuguese but easy enough to follow. https://eportugal.gov.pt/pt/noticia...es-terceiros-validos-em-viagens-para-portugal

This was 10 February. I have deleted the email but his was the link they sent. It's in Portuguese but easy enough to follow. https://eportugal.gov.pt/pt/noticia...es-terceiros-validos-em-viagens-para-portugal

This seems out of date. It says

Estas medidas vão estar em vigor até dia 30 de setembro de 2021, podendo ser revistas consoante a evolução da situação epidemiológica.

English translation

These measures will be in force until September 30, 2021, and may be revised according to the evolution of the epidemiological situation.

It's all getting even more confusing. In the various sites I have visited it seems the issue for Australians is not the certificate itself but a general restriction for essential travel only because Australia was re-defined as a 'high risk' country. However, Smartraveller says:

"Direct travel from Australia is currently limited to essential purposes only, unless you have an EU COVID-19 vaccination certificate. Australian passport holders can still enter Portugal for ‘non-essential’ purposes from elsewhere in the EU or approved third countries. Travellers aged 12 and over must have a recognised COVID-19 vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 (PCR) or (TRAg) test to enter. Within Portugal, most COVID-19 measures other than mask-wearing have been lifted. Monitor rules as they may change at short notice (see 'Travel'). Community transmission of COVID-19 is high in Portugal."

As I am transiting via the UK we shall see what happens.

Last edited:

€46,-
This seems out of date. It says
Estas medidas vão estar em vigor até dia 30 de setembro de 2021, podendo ser revistas consoante a evolução da situação epidemiológica.
English translation
These measures will be in force until September 30, 2021, and may be revised according to the evolution of the epidemiological situation.
OMG. Not only is the link out of date. The language on these Portuguese websites is incredibly bad. Don't take this literally. The list of third countries in that link are the countries that were on the EU white list at the time. The certificates of these countries were never "recognised" in the way that many of you interpret it. China was on that list and the USA!!!

The Portuguese websites use "recognised certificate" with at least three different meanings and they never define which of the three ways they mean.

This is just hopeless. I would not try to understand it any longer. All major EU countries including Spain accept vaccinated travellers from Australia. And Portugal accepts all travellers from other EU countries (negative test or vaccinated or recovered). I’ll leave at that …. (origin of flight counts, not nationality).

Last edited:
Aussie here. We've just booked flights to Spain for July. Alas not for the Camino this time. :( My husband is Spanish and hasn't seen his family in 3 years, is going to be Godfather to his first nephew in July, too. If we had enough time off work, we'd definitely do the Camino again this year. Sigh, maybe next year...

This is just hopeless. I would not try to understand it any longer. All major EU countries including Spain accept vaccinated travellers from Australia. And Portugal accepts all travellers from other EU countries (negative test or vaccinated or recovered). I’ll leave at that …. (origin of flight counts, not nationality).
I don't think this is restricted to Portugal, or even other countries that offer an explanation of their rules in English. I have just tried to negotiate the Australian Department of Home Affairs pages dealing with overseas visitors arriving here, and it took four different web pages and a couple of pop-ups and I am still not sure that I know what all the requirements are. This isn't helped in Australia by our federal government managing immigration matters, and quarantine being run by individual State Governments.

My wife and I travelled to the the UK in late Dec. I have already shared my experience that the rules changed regularly during our preparation and during our trip. Keeping up with the changes required regular checking of official web sites in the UK and Australia. We subscribed to Smartraveler and kept an eye on the news to know when to go and find out more. Sure, overseas travel is possible, but that doesn't meant the situation is stable or the rules always clear.

I will be taking a somewhat similar approach to travelling to Portugal in late Apr. While direct entry isn't possible travelling by air directly from Australia, I will be researching the alternatives. I will be thinking about what I want to take to stay safe, without adding too much to what I carry as a practical consideration. I will be wondering what changes there might be to my inner journey. And I will be preparing myself mentally, not necessarily for specific adverse circumstances but also more generally to be resilient should I need that. And in the end, I am looking forward to walking into Praza do Obradoiro and looking up at the cathedral once again.

Last edited:
As my departure date approaches I am looking at alternatives. If the situation does not change in the next two weeks I will either get a flight to Spain and cross into Portugal from there or forget Portugal altogether this trip and look at the VDLP or Norte instead. Thanks to Trecile and Kathar1na for pointing out the date on the link the Embassy sent me, and Dougfitz for suggesting the overland route into Portugal.

It's all part of the adventure! :)

As my departure date approaches I am looking at alternatives. If the situation does not change in the next two weeks I will either get a flight to Spain and cross into Portugal from there or forget Portugal altogether this trip and look at the VDLP or Norte instead. Thanks to Trecile and Kathar1na for pointing out the date on the link the Embassy sent me, and Dougfitz for suggesting the overland route into Portugal.

It's all part of the adventure! :)
Further to my last. I have been in contact with the Portuguese consul in Sydney who has sent me this email:

Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for your email.

Direct travel from Australia is limited to essential purposes only, to be officially extended to all visitors shortly for non-essential travel.

Currently, it is understood that all Australians can visit Portugal, as there are no direct flights from Australia to Portugal.

So, all good to go. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Further to my last. I have been in contact with the Portuguese consul in Sydney who has sent me this email:

Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for your email.

Direct travel from Australia is limited to essential purposes only, to be officially extended to all visitors shortly for non-essential travel.

Currently, it is understood that all Australians can visit Portugal, as there are no direct flights from Australia to Portugal.

So, all good to go. :)
@Lindsay53 this looks like good news, but as an almost erstwhile bureaucratic, there are still language issues here that concern me.

While Smartraveller has used the term 'direct travel', as does the email you have quoted, the email I have from the Portuguese Embassy says 'For people flying directly from Australia to Portugal, travel is currently only allowed for essential purposes'. I'm not sure that the latter statement would allow the interpretation offered by the Sydney consul, and I'm not really sure how one one could tell.

More, the website at https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal doesn't use either of these terms. On that site Australia isn't listed amongst the countries approved for arrival by air for non-essential travel. Add to this that the original legal instruments will be in Portuguese, and there may be nuances of translation we are not seeing.

I think it's still uncertain, but I lean to the view that arrival from Australia by air, even with a transit stop, is only going to be permitted for essential travel.

At this stage, my hope is that the work progresses on the rule changes that both the embassy and consul refer to, and that will see a much clearer set of guidelines published. In the meantime, I will continue to have an alternative to change my flights from Lisbon to Madrid and travel to Lisbon overland.

@Lindsay53 this looks like good news, but as an almost erstwhile bureaucratic, there are still language issues here that concern me.

While Smartraveller has used the term 'direct travel', as does the email you have quoted, the email I have from the Portuguese Embassy says 'For people flying directly from Australia to Portugal, travel is currently only allowed for essential purposes'. I'm not sure that the latter statement would allow the interpretation offered by the Sydney consul, and I'm not really sure how one one could tell.

More, the website at https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal doesn't use either of these terms. On that site Australia isn't listed amongst the countries approved for arrival by air for non-essential travel. Add to this that the original legal instruments will be in Portuguese, and there may be nuances of translation we are not seeing.

I think it's still uncertain, but I lean to the view that arrival from Australia by air, even with a transit stop, is only going to be permitted for essential travel.

At this stage, my hope is that the work progresses on the rule changes that both the embassy and consul refer to, and that will see a much clearer set of guidelines published. In the meantime, I will continue to have an alternative to change my flights from Lisbon to Madrid and travel to Lisbon overland.
Because it seemed that only essential travel to Portugal was permitted for Australians, we cancelled our planned Camino from Porto to Santiago. And now we will fly from Sydney to Lyon at the end of March to commence our Camino from Le Puy-en-velay on March 31. We hope to walk all the way to Santiago and we are nervous and thrilled and super excited. We have our Australian ICVC; we have linked it to our passports; the rules are changing so often that we decided that we will just have to deal with the situation when we get there. We are extremely grateful for all the advice on this forum.

If someone from Australia cancels their walk from Porto to Santiago and walks from Le Puy to Santiago instead then that is Portugal's loss and a fantastic new project for the pilgrim walker.

The information that comes from official Portugal government and semi-government sources continues to puzzle me, especially in the context of other EU country's entry policies who allow entry for all vaccinated travellers from around the world. There has been no change of the text on the Visitportugal website for nearly a month now.

There are currently no direct flights from Australia to Portugal. It makes no sense to me that entry restrictions for travellers on direct flights would be treated differently from those for transit flights. But all I can say is that other countries are clearer in their communication to the travelling public and to the staff at the airport desk when they, unlike PT websites, clearly state: This rule applies to direct flights as well as to transit flights.

There are currently no direct flights from Australia to Portugal.
That is true, but I am not sure that it is what is most important here. For example, the advice on https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal doesn't use the phrase 'direct flights' at all. It talks about flights, and my view is simply that it means all flights from, for example, Australia and several other countries. I caveat that with the observation that I cannot see the legal instrument in its original form, and I am relying on the English text presented on the site. The term 'direct flights' appeared in some Australian government advice on Smartraveller, perhaps some email correspondence from the Portuguese consulate in Sydney, but not elsewhere.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back