• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australians gored in Pamplona

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3000

At least they don't get the Darwin Award:

Two Australians gored in final Pamplona bull run
Two Australians and a Spaniard were gored Monday in the final and longest bull run of this year's San Fermin festival as it wound up in Spain's northern city of Pamplona.

Another four people were hospitalised for other injuries picked up as runners dressed in traditional white clothing and red scarves tripped over each other and fell as they opened a path for the six-half tonne fighting bulls and six steers.

A 595-kilo (1,300-pound) bull named "Olivito" that slipped and became separated from the pack turned around to face the runners and repeatedly charged one young man, lifting him in the air and pinning him against a wall.

The man managed to escape but the bull quickly caught up with him, goring him again as he tried desperately to pass to the other side of a wooden fence that separates runners from spectators.

A bull that separates from the pack presents one of the greatest dangers in the bull-runs, leaving the huge animal disoriented and more likely to charge runners.

Monday's run was the longest of the eight in this year's festival and the bulls from the Miura ranch in Seville in southern Spain took four minutes and 47 seconds to tear along a winding 848.6-metre (928-yeard) course from their holding pen to Pamplona's bull-ring.

A 24-year-old Australian man was gored in the right thigh while a 26-year-old Australian was gored three times, the regional government of Navarra said in a statement.

A 21-year-old Spaniard from Navarra was also gored three times, it added.

It was not immediately clear which of the men was the one gored by "Olivito."

In all, 42 people have been hospitalised after taking part in the bull runs at this year's festival, including seven for gorings.

The morning bull runs are the highlight of the nine-day festival which dates back to the Middle Ages and was immortalised in Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises."

The festival also features bullfights, with the animals from the morning runs facing off matadors in the ring in evening, concerts, nightly fireworks, religious processions and a vibrant night life, with bars staying open until 7:00.

Fifteen people have died from gorings since records started in 1911, most recently in 2009 when a 27-year-old Spanish man was gored in the neck, heart and lungs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I h

Two Australians and a Spaniard were gored Monday in the final and longest bull run of this year's San Fermin festival as it wound up in Spain's northern city of Pamplona.

Another four people were hospitalised for other injuries picked up as runners dressed in traditional white clothing and red scarves tripped over each other and fell as they opened a path for the six-half tonne fighting bulls and six steers.

A 595-kilo (1,300-pound) bull named "Olivito" that slipped and became separated from the pack turned around to face the runners and repeatedly charged one young man, lifting him in the air and pinning him against a wall.

The man managed to escape but the bull quickly caught up with him, goring him again as he tried desperately to pass to the other side of a wooden fence that separates runners from spectators.

A bull that separates from the pack presents one of the greatest dangers in the bull-runs, leaving the huge animal disoriented and more likely to charge runners.

Monday's run was the longest of the eight in this year's festival and the bulls from the Miura ranch in Seville in southern Spain took four minutes and 47 seconds to tear along a winding 848.6-metre (928-yeard) course from their holding pen to Pamplona's bull-ring.

A 24-year-old Australian man was gored in the right thigh while a 26-year-old Australian was gored three times, the regional government of Navarra said in a statement.

In all, 42 people have been hospitalised after taking part in the bull runs at this year's festival, including seven for gorings.

The morning bull runs are the highlight of the nine-day festival which dates back to the Middle Ages and was immortalised in Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises."

The festival also features bullfights, with the animals from the morning runs facing off matadors in the ring in evening, concerts, nightly fireworks, religious processions and a vibrant night life, with bars staying open until 7:00.

Fifteen people have died from gorings since records started in 1911, most recently in 2009 when a 27-year-old Spanish man was gored in the neck, heart and lungs.
I have a video of it...happened under my balcony at 2/2 estefeta...bull fell.became disoriented from loss of pack and opened the fellows thigh proximal to distal quad and I ask myself why do I have a video of it when I just retired from the er....

Stupid and ignorant that is what they are! Hope the australians got a good insurance and if not I do hope that hospital lets them pay for every single med and care they receive!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sabine -

Perhaps a tad harsh.:rolleyes:

Re-read the story and you will see that the males ranged from 21-26 years of age. It is a fairly common misconception of males at that age that they are ten-foot tall and bulletproof.

Plus, in keeping with San Fermin tradition, they probably would not have passed a Breathalyzer test.

Good judgment comes from bad experience derived from poor judgment. (And we were all young and stupid once, no?)

I'm glad they get a chance to have good judgment in the future. But, like you, I'm also happy to not subsidize their learning experience.

B

"It is a fairly common misconception of males of that age that they are ten-foot tall and bullet proof",

Well, as Paul Hogan said in "Crocodile Dundee": (and he's Australian)
"S*** for brains".:D

any reports on how many bulls were injured/killed during this festival ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a self-claimed expert on Running of the Bulls in Chicago who writes guides for those who want to participate in the festival, and he was gored by a bull this year and was hopitalized. Now he has first- hand experience how it feels like to be gored. He said he will go back again next year.

I h

I have a video of it...happened under my balcony at 2/2 estefeta...bull fell.became disoriented from loss of pack and opened the fellows thigh proximal to distal quad and I ask myself why do I have a video of it when I just retired from the er....
was the bull hurt after his fall or just panicked because he is/was a herd animal,sorry am sure its great fun at the time but in the cold light of day would people really want to see an animal so frantic it falls down on hard cobbles and then feels it has to defend itself quickly or in its mind it may die, which will happen most times happen anyway no matter how well the animal preforms ,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Btw people say bullfighting is to be viewed in the big cultural and historical tradition of Spain. We here in Belgium also had a big tradition in medieval times for burning so called witches. Luckily we changed our ideas about that phenomenon...

Actually, I'm surprised there are not more injuries. If there were only seven gorings this year, the chances of any one person getting gored is pretty small. On top of it, most of those gorings turn out not to be life threatening.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Given the cost to the bulls I'd say the Aussies got off easy... Do your homework folks, is torturing an animal to death really entertaining?
totally agree,i have worked with horses and kept pigs as pets and alwa
Given the cost to the bulls I'd say the Aussies got off easy... Do your homework folks, is torturing an animal to death really entertaining?
fully agree with you,the stress levels those animals feel even before they get out of the pen are wrong to inflict I think,,

Btw people say bullfighting is to be viewed in the big cultural and historical tradition of Spain. We here in Belgium also had a big tradition in medieval times for burning so called witches. Luckily we changed our ideas about that phenomenon...

And of course, a long tradition in many countries of public executions, not to mention bear baiting, cock fighting blah blah. Dare I say that maybe the spectators should be pitied - I'll bet many hope there WILL be a goring/blood/etc... After all, if it wasn't dangerous, no-one would take part, and no-one would watch.
Gladiators, eat your hearts out

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Six killed a day for eight days, so I would say 48 bulls died.
thank you for the quick reply, I just think its sad for" civilised "?? people to find no trace of guilt in that the MAIN purpose of these animals dying is not food, not skin,not over stocked, but for tourisim, pampelona is a wonderful place to visit ,I will be so happy one day to buy a fridge magnet that says "in the past this is where the bulls ran "most of the people I suspect that run with the bulls ,if faced with an injured frightened animal would be calling the nearest vet or animal welfare,they get caught up in the moment and I can see that,

the MAIN purpose of these animals dying is not food, not skin,not over stocked, but for tourism, pamplona is a wonderful place to visit
Matadors may get the ears and tail; the horns probably become tourist goods, the hides are tanned, and the meat does end up in the food chain, so they don't really waste a lot. I agree that the principal purpose is entertainment, but the end result is not a lot different than McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken.

More sadistic is the flaming bull, which got a bit of revenge recently:

http://news.yahoo.com/flaming-horned-bull-fatally-gores-man-spain-154853109.html

Matadors may get the ears and tail; the horns probably become tourist goods, the hides are tanned, and the meat does end up in the food chain, so they don't really waste a lot. I agree that the principal purpose is entertainment, but the end result is not a lot different than McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken.

More sadistic is the flaming bull, which got a bit of revenge recently:

http://news.yahoo.com/flaming-horned-bull-fatally-gores-man-spain-154853109.html
the flaming bull is horrible,and I agree the animals in mcdonalds and kfc food chain don't do well at all,however if you are going to eat the animal then surely as civilised people we should strive to make the kill as painless and stressfree as possible ?not to revel in the fear and panic these animals feel ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
surely as civilised people we should strive to make the kill as painless and stress free as possible ?not to revel in the fear and panic these animals feel ?
I am not a fan of the human contests, so I agree about animals. At some level, humans get to decide if they want to be pummeled or shorten their lives with drugs, training, and injuries. I don't get the vicarious fans mindset. I see competing; I don't see watching someone else compete. In view of the World Cup, I am a small minority!;) I am pretty sure fewer fans died in the bull runs than in the World Cup (the crackdown in the favelas goes in the World Cup death count).

You actually see this as a sport! If I was to be honest with you I would probably be given a good talking to by Ivar (again). International football is a commercial enterprise it isn't a sport. And neither is Running the Bulls. Institutional cruelty makes the Spanish look barbaric, barely beyond the mediaeval. It damages their cultural standing in the world and it makes you wonder about the national psyche. I believe Franco loved it. Yep the sport of murderers.

I am glad that most younger Spaniards have no time for it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, it has always been an ambition but on the other I am disgusted by the whole process.

But then, our great "sport of kings" here in the UK (horse racing) is often cruel and regularly ends in fatalaties amongst horses. People in glass houses and all that.

Football? That's not a sport, it's a game.

It's almost inevitable to hear some controversy around the San Fermin festival. The festival is many generations old and may continue for many generations to come. Just because many in this generation don't agree, does not make their perspective valid.
People come from all over the world to participate, even from here in Australia, possible to escape the nanny ideology and participate in life.
We must respect there right to choose as well.

Buen Camino

@falcon269, I'm having difficulty understanding how this is related to Australians and New Zealanders doing the Camino. Interesting - maybe. Relevant - nup!
Dougfitz, like you I too was scanning through the article expecting the words 'encumbered by his heavy backpack', wondering if perhaps someone had painted a yellow arrow on the bull's backside. In many ways the bull run could be seen as good practice for the great albergue bed race

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's almost inevitable to hear some controversy around the San Fermin festival. The festival is many generations old and may continue for many generations to come. Just because many in this generation don't agree, does not make their perspective valid.
People come from all over the world to participate, even from here in Australia, possible to escape the nanny ideology and participate in life.
We must respect there right to choose as well.

Buen Camino
Except that the animal has no choice. How anthro-centric of you...

I always wanted to run with the bulls. Till I grew up, saw some video. It doesn't surprise me that it still exists, but if we can stop justifying gladiators as a cultural tradition, surely we can stop torturing animals for entertainment too.

The bullfight tradition comes from the Iberian cult to bulls. There are also bull shows in other Iberians areas of SE France (Nimes, Arles) and South Portugal. No-Iberian areas in the Peninsula like Asturias and Galicia are indifferent to bull shows because bulls are not mythic animals for them. Basques, and Castilians are not from Iberian origin but they had a cultural influence from the Iberians. History explains almost everything.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back