• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Austria-Italy Pilgrim. How to find cheap places to sleep?

Chriskln

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I am thinking of walking from my house in Austria to Assisi in Italy to make a pilgrimage to the tomb of St. Francis. I have walked the Camino in Spain and am familiar with maneuvering established pilgrimage routes. But I am wondering how one finds cheap places to sleep when walking a pilgrimage of one’s own devising? Does anyone have experience asking to sleep in churches, or showing up at monasteries uninvited, or other creative solutions to saving pennies? Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If the really cheap options aren't available you could try using airbnb.

Hi Chriskin and welcome!
I hope others will be able to answer you more satisfactorily.
I did ask my priest - when walking to Jerusalem - if carrying a letter from him would help me finding a bed in a church/parish room but he did say it was just not done anymore :confused:
So I carried a light tent, which came in handy on a number of times, not everyone's choice, I know.
Incidentally, I met 3 young ladies also from Austria last Summer who were walking to Rome. They were sleeping rough most nights! No tent, no mattress... :eek:
They would sometimes ask me to book them a bed in a parish ostello when they'd had enough..
I wouldn't recommend it though :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At least part of your journey doesn't have to be of your own devising. As I'm sure you know, there are many trails through the Dolomites coming down from Austria into Italy, where you can stay at the rifugios. A bed will cost you 10 - 20 euros a night. From the Dolomites to Bolgona, I can't help you, but once you make it down to Bologna, you can pick up the Via degli Dei, which goes to Florence. Check out the web site www.viadeglidei.it, which will list all accommodations, including camping sites. From Florence to Assisi, there's the Way of St. Francis (which then continues on to Rome, if you want to push on further). Rev. Sandy Brown has a guidebook to the Way of St. Francis, published by Cicerone Press. It lists accommodations. Sounds like a great trek!

Hi and welcome to the forum @Chriskln

I have done several pilgrimages in this style. I had could luck just knocking at doors of churches/monasteries and finding accommodation, but I also took a light weight tent with me as sometimes the best available option was to camp in the garden of the church. As you are from Austria, you might also want to check in here, http://www.caminosantiago.eu/pilgerforum/, my small German forum. We have several members from Austria who can give you further advice.

Buen Camino/Guten Weg, SY

I am thinking of walking from my house in Austria to Assisi in Italy to make a pilgrimage to the tomb of St. Francis. I have walked the Camino in Spain and am familiar with maneuvering established pilgrimage routes. But I am wondering how one finds cheap places to sleep when walking a pilgrimage of one’s own devising? Does anyone have experience asking to sleep in churches, or showing up at monasteries uninvited, or other creative solutions to saving pennies? Thank you.

Walk the St Jacob Camino in/across Slovenia from Austria to Trieste then to Assisi. Or the Czech route. The accommodation will be cheaper in Slovenia & Czech Republicvs Austria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back