• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Author Hape Kerkeling Discusses His Book "I am off then" (3min)

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
might be of interest to hear the man behind the book, so to speak.

Author Hape Kerkeling Discusses His New Book I'M Off Then - in english - 2009

and here a 45min interview (Swiss TV, conducted in german) - 2009

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
His book was a bestseller in Germany some years ago and caused hordes of Germans on the road to Santiago. Personally I found Kerkeling's stories rather disappointing in respect of the spirit which I experienced myself along the Camino. That was since I knew about the paths and places before he wrote about them and his book was not yet a mass-motivator.:rolleyes: But who am I to judge all those Germans?:)

Some people see the camino as a sportive challenge, either than a spiritual one.
Some just want to experience what the camino is like.
Hape Kerkling's book is more written from that point of view.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have read Hape Kerkling's book several times, and it is a mainstay in my "Camino Library". I find it to be the story of a man who reached a point in his life when he realized that some changes had to be made, somewhere and somehow, so he came upon the Caminio. My only regret about this book is that I cannot read it in the original German, because no matter how good the translation, something is always lost, case in point the title: "I'm Off Then" might have been translated in North American English as "I'm Out of Here" both similar in meaning, but what is missing in the English translation is the contextual meaning of "I've had Enough" (this courtesy of my daughter in law, a native German Speaker) So it makes me wonder how many other subtle meanings I am missing.

That said, I love the book: His story, the changes he observes in himself, his daily observations, the friends he makes along the way, his challenges and, of course, his humour.

I have read Hape Kerkling's book several times, and it is a mainstay in my "Camino Library". I find it to be the story of a man who reached a point in his life when he realized that some changes had to be made, somewhere and somehow, so he came upon the Caminio. My only regret about this book is that I cannot read it in the original German, because no matter how good the translation, something is always lost, case in point the title: "I'm Off Then" might have been translated in North American English as "I'm Out of Here" both similar in meaning, but what is missing in the English translation is the contextual meaning of "I've had Enough" (this courtesy of my daughter in law, a native German Speaker) So it makes me wonder how many other subtle meanings I am missing.

That said, I love the book: His story, the changes he observes in himself, his daily observations, the friends he makes along the way, his challenges and, of course, his humour.
It is one of my favorite camino books.
Another favorite is a (Dutch) book written by the writer journalist Herman Vuijsje who walked back from Santiago to Amsterdam. it inspired me too to walk the camino. The title of the book is Pilgrim without God. I cannot find out if it has been translated in other languages.

Last edited:

yes- it's truly a pity how much has gotten lost in translation (having read both the german and english version) - his dry humour, and many other nuances have gotten lost in many sections of the book.
i've never heard of him prior to this book, and had no idea about him being someone 'famous' - but it appears to me that this journey/pilgrimage/juncture in his life was quite a pivotal point -
and as far as i recollect: something took him by surprise about how he was affected by it in a deep, spiritual way. and i applaud him for not even writing about that experience. since words always fail to describe something so 'other'.
he kept it private. bravo.
and yet it is palpable - at least in my experience - how he was moved and touched. and something was transformed. and when something is transformed, the old part died. had to die. otherwise: what transformation has taken place??
transformation is just another work for a death/dying process.
it's still one of my favorite camino books as well! completely agree :)
best wishes,
c

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[...]i've never heard of him prior to this book, and had no idea about him being someone 'famous' - but it appears to me that this journey/pilgrimage/juncture in his life was quite a pivotal point[...]
Many Germans, French and other Europeans had been travelling the Camino (mostly the Francés). First Paulo Coelho's mystical book enlarged awareness of the Camino de Santiago. Then Kerkeling's story triggered the "German rush" a few years ago. Recently "The Way" started moving English speaking people from across the oceans towards SJPP. Many were attracted to the idea of walking this Camino as a way of marking a transition. Others wondered why they were following these ancient paths. Some realized that "only Him up there" knows the answer.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.