• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Author of Wild-Cheryl Strayed

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
Last week I had the opportunity to listen to Cheryl Strayed speak about her trek on the PCT (Pacific Coast Trail) and the book she wrote. Afterwards she did a book signing and I was able to talk to her for a few minutes about my upcoming Portuguese Camino. I brought with me, to the signing, the book Wild (Excellent book!). I had read this book on my flight to Spain in 2013 before my first pilgrimage. It was a perfect start and inspiration to my walk. I also brought with me my pilgrim credential that I will use this June for her to sign. She had heard the Portuguese route was one of the most beautiful routes and wished me luck...and signed my credential to give me inspiration along the way. Incredible woman, with a beautiful story! Had to share! Bom Caminho!

Attachments

• IMG_9914.JPG
    IMG_9914.JPG
    953.2 KB · Views: 41
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I loved her book and enjoyed the film of Wild as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I didn't know that. Photos at the end of the film were of Cheryl Strayed at the time when she did her walk. Liked that, it made it seem more real and I also liked the music played during / after the credits.

Wild, the film, is, to me, the best "Camino" movie that's been made by far.

I started the book and wasn't nearly as impressed. Still, a fascinating story within that writing.

Wild, the film, is, to me, the best "Camino" movie that's been made by far.

I started the book and wasn't nearly as impressed. Still, a fascinating story within that writing.
Yes, and I carried with me along the Way the thought in the back of my head 'if she could do 94 days on the PCT, with no albergues, cooking every meal, no wine, with a Giant pack and no training or hiking experience, I could do the Camino!'

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I enjoyed the movie too. I wasn't as much a fan of all the sidetracks to her life before, but I know it wouldn't have given a full view of things if those scenes hadn't been there. I'm just not a fan of "dark" stuff like that. Lived enough myself.

I laughed a lot because her journey reminded me so much of my Camino. I started off with an ENORMOUS pack that must have weighed at least 60 lbs. Plus the struggling with the walking...

It's great that you got a chance to meet her. I have yet to read the book, but it's on my to-read list.

Another excellent book is A Walk in the Woods by travel writer Bill Bryson. It details his journey along the Appalachian Trail accompanied by a motivated but terribly out-of-shape friend. They made a movie of it, starring Robert Redford (Bryson) and Nick Nolte (the friend). The book is great; the movie is so-so.

I enjoyed the movie too. I wasn't as much a fan of all the sidetracks to her life before, but I know it wouldn't have given a full view of things if those scenes hadn't been there. I'm just not a fan of "dark" stuff like that. Lived enough myself.
Maybe its the film nerd/professor in me, but the dark parts are what I appreciated most. It gave context and purpose. I love how the movie sets up her mom's love of Simon and Garfunkle, and the soundtrack keeps giving us strains of S&G songs, and we keep anticipating/waiting/expecting the transcendent "travel" sequence with a happy S&G song. You know, the cheesie, walking/road-trip/hiking/insert-form-of travel sequence we expect in every formulaic movie like this. Think of the moment in The Way where it cuts to the James Taylor song. Only Wild makes you wait for it, and wait for it. And then, when you get it, it isn't easy hiking. It's images of intense struggle with hiking juxtaposed with images of her WORST choices in her history, the moments she is most running from (but can't escape). For me, it was one of the best moments of filmmaking in the past decade.

Also love how the film ends with her still on her journey, not arriving at any destination. We are told she's going to find happiness, marriage, get married "just under that bridge" but she sure as heck ain't there yet. She's a perpetual hobo-hero/pilgrim headed on a constant journey, "a hundred miles down the road", with no destination. It made me happy. But, again, that might be the film nerd in me, or simply the fact I've watched WAY too many formulaic road-trip/hiking movies that I'm even more annoyed by it than in any other genre. Either way, I was in love.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I read the book and then I watched the movie and loved them both. I also like "The way", "A walk in the woods" and "Six Ways to Santiago" The last is provably my favourite.

I read the book and then I watched the movie and loved them both. I also like "The way", "A walk in the woods" and "Six Ways to Santiago" The last is provably my favourite.
I like 6 ways to Santiago a good deal. Have you seen St Jacque....Le Mecque?

I like 6 ways to Santiago a good deal. Have you seen St Jacque....Le Mecque?

However you view it following the French or not Saint-Jacques La Mecque is delightful in the road-film tradition. From a novel by Coline Serreau it follows a truly mixed group of pilgrims on a guided camino from Le Puy en Velay to Saint Jacques de Compostela. Included are two French brothers and a sister who hate each other yet who must walk together in order to receive their inheritance. As well two young French-born Arab boys also are on the camino believing mistakenly that it leads to Mecca. The scenery is great and the situations amusing. Any viewer who has been a pilgrim will recognize the depicted traits both good and bad of fellow pilgrims. Happily after all is said and done the final shot might be titled "...all you need is love!".

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back