• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Autumn 2022 on the Via - Overview and costs.

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Via del la Plata
Hi all
I finally calculated my costs on the Via de la Plata last year and thought I would share with a bit of a summary of those amazing 59 days.
This might help those new to the Via.
For transparency I admit to being well into my ‘wisdom’ years and have average fitness.
Sevilla to Santiago - 59 days: 21 September - 27 November: 1007 Km. Shortest day = 10 Km: longest day = 27 Km.
I walked the Sanabres at the turnoff, rather than to Astorga.
Three rest days - Mérida, Salamanca and Ourense. One sick day in Zafra (terrible allergies and hayfever).
Average cost per day - €35.50. I stayed mainly in albergues / hostals but did have a few nights in hotels ranging from €45 - €80 (unexpected Saturday night in Mérida). I stayed in a hostel in Santiago (€25)
I mainly ate menu del dia in the late afternoon. Wonderful simple cooking that filled me up for the rest of the day (wine came with the meal). Other food purchased at supermarkets. One coffee per day.
I took a bus or taxi a few times adding up to about 95 Km in total. Mostly because of accommodation problems on a weekend or a fiesta - once because I couldn’t do the 33 Km required.
There were days when I saw no other pilgrims - I had the whole albergue to myself - hanging out with locals in the bar. And later, evenings sharing pilgrim meals and international conversations.
A most wonderful Camino - where time stands still. From the hot, demanding beginning in the wonderful Flamenco energy of Andalusia to the gentle lush forest paths of Galicia.
If you can find the time, do it in one go - if not, section by section would still be amazing.
Buen Camino

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 568
  • IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all
I finally calculated my costs on the Via de la Plata last year and thought I would share with a bit of a summary of those amazing 59 days.
This might help those new to the Via.
For transparency I admit to being well into my ‘wisdom’ years and have average fitness.
Sevilla to Santiago - 59 days: 21 September - 27 November: 1007 Km. Shortest day = 10 Km: longest day = 27 Km.
I walked the Sanabres at the turnoff, rather than to Astorga.
Three rest days - Mérida, Salamanca and Ourense. One sick day in Zafra (terrible allergies and hayfever).
Average cost per day - €35.50. I stayed mainly in albergues / hostals but did have a few nights in hotels ranging from €45 - €80 (unexpected Saturday night in Mérida). I stayed in a hostel in Santiago (€25)
I mainly ate menu del dia in the late afternoon. Wonderful simple cooking that filled me up for the rest of the day (wine came with the meal). Other food purchased at supermarkets. One coffee per day.
I took a bus or taxi a few times adding up to about 95 Km in total. Mostly because of accommodation problems on a weekend or a fiesta - once because I couldn’t do the 33 Km required.
There were days when I saw no other pilgrims - I had the whole albergue to myself - hanging out with locals in the bar. And later, evenings sharing pilgrim meals and international conversations.
A most wonderful Camino - where time stands still. From the hot, demanding beginning in the wonderful Flamenco energy of Andalusia to the gentle lush forest paths of Galicia.
If you can find the time, do it in one go - if not, section by section would still be amazing.
Buen Camino
How were the temperatures in southern Spain? Did you have easy access to water and food on via de la Plata?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How were the temperatures in southern Spain? Did you have easy access to water and food on via de la Plata?
Hi @FireDragon
The temperatures didn’t get really high till after 1.00 pm. Night was around 18 C I think.
One day I tracked the temps - Midday 25 C; 1.00pm 29 C; 2.00 pm 35 C.
So most people started early - before dawn - sunrise was around 8 am.
I usually started walking between 6 - 7 am but one lovely pair of sisters used to start between 4-5 am and loved walking under the stars and moon. Sunrises were glorious.
The terrain is relatively flat and uniform - easy walking - and I didn’t feel like I was missing out on ‘the view’. Just be careful on any downhills though. It can be very hard to judge the slope in the dark.
A couple of times I walked till 2 pm because I started late (32C). It felt very hard but was doable. I had a UV umbrella and the sisters had special headscarves that you put in the freezer and they stayed cool for hours.
A good head torch is a must. Phone torches can be difficult to manage when walking in the dark for a couple of hours especially if you use poles.
Towns are on average within 20 k of each other with nothing in between, so you need to carry food and water. Check on Gronze. I sometimes took the help of a taxi or bus on longer stretches - twice to carry me and once to carry my pack. I carried a bit over 2 litres of water and that was enough for the distances I was walking. I read that using an umbrella reduces water consumption by 10%.
The towns themselves are largish with plenty of Bars and restaurants. The accommodation was mostly readily available at that time of year.
Don’t let the temps put you off. I really missed Andalusia and Extremadura after I left. Something about the heat and Flamenco energy that is awe inspiring.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi @FireDragon
The temperatures didn’t get really high till after 1.00 pm. Night was around 18 C I think.
One day I tracked the temps - Midday 25 C; 1.00pm 29 C; 2.00 pm 35 C.
So most people started early - before dawn - sunrise was around 8 am.
I usually started walking between 6 - 7 am but one lovely pair of sisters used to start between 4-5 am and loved walking under the stars and moon. Sunrises were glorious.
The terrain is relatively flat and uniform - easy walking - and I didn’t feel like I was missing out on ‘the view’. Just be careful on any downhills though. It can be very hard to judge the slope in the dark.
A couple of times I walked till 2 pm because I started late (32C). It felt very hard but was doable. I had a UV umbrella and the sisters had special headscarves that you put in the freezer and they stayed cool for hours.
A good head torch is a must. Phone torches can be difficult to manage when walking in the dark for a couple of hours especially if you use poles.
Towns are on average within 20 k of each other with nothing in between, so you need to carry food and water. Check on Gronze. I sometimes took the help of a taxi or bus on longer stretches - twice to carry me and once to carry my pack. I carried a bit over 2 litres of water and that was enough for the distances I was walking. I read that using an umbrella reduces water consumption by 10%.
The towns themselves are largish with plenty of Bars and restaurants. The accommodation was mostly readily available at that time of year.
Don’t let the temps put you off. I really missed Andalusia and Extremadura after I left. Something about the heat and Flamenco energy that is awe inspiring.
Buen Camino
Wow: that is a super response and thank you. Looks like walking in the dark will be a possibility when walking through Andalusia and Extremadura. Did you find it easy to find lodging? Many pilgrims?

35€ is right on the money for me too on the VdlP, same mix of basic albergues and sometimes split accomodation through booking.com, in a privat setting due to fx a festival in Caceres where everything was taken..
Gone are the days of yore with 25€ daily on the CF, too, I suppose.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow: that is a super response and thank you. Looks like walking in the dark will be a possibility when walking through Andalusia and Extremadura. Did you find it easy to find lodging? Many pilgrims?

Always glad to be of help.
There were Hotels (€25 +), Hostal Turiticas (€15) and or albergues (donativo / various prices) in nearly all towns. The only accommodation problems were after Zafra where there was a giant agricultural fair and the pilgrim only albergue was closed, Mérida and Banjos on a weekend were a bit tricky, and a couple of other places further along where the albergues were closed. Gronze and Gerald’s guide will give all the details. I am a slow walker and started a bit earlier in the season so there were not many pilgrims in the early weeks and there were a few days when I met no one but the locals ( I loved it). However others who started in early October caught up with me a bit later and there was company after that. But all in all, not a lot of people walk the Via. Spring seems to be preferred option so i think it’s busier and there maybe some stresses on the services at that time of the year.

I plan to start at mid September from Sevilla.
It will be hot and amazing. I think all the accommodation on the plains had air con. Recommend a UV umbrella, or some equivalent heat protection, and early starts. I am feeling excited for you. :)
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It will be hot and amazing. I think all the accommodation on the plains had air con. Recommend a UV umbrella, or some equivalent heat protection, and early starts. I am feeling excited for you. :)
Buen Camino
I had planned for mid September from Sevilla but wonder at this time in the juncture whether it would be better to leave in October probably having to deal with heat in the south and rain in Galicia.

I had planned for mid September from Sevilla but wonder at this time in the juncture whether it would be better to leave in October probably having to deal with heat in the south and rain in Galicia.

Yes late September or early October is better. There will be rain in Galicia in November but I didn’t find it a problem - but I only got heavy rain in the day twice. It rained a lot in the night and showers in the day.

Yes late September or early October is better. There will be rain in Galicia in November but I didn’t find it a problem - but I only got heavy rain in the day twice. It rained a lot in the night and showers in the day.
It looks like October will be the objective now so I will now PLAN. Can’t wait to get to Sevilla.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back