• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Autumn Camino

LizKhan

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm keen to hear from people who've done the Camino Frances in September. I'm planning my first Camino in Sept 2019. What's the weather like in september ? Will it be cold ? Rainy ? Should I carry a fleece layer ? A light jacket ? Water proof jacket ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It depends where you are on the trail. Basically, if you are going to walk for 6-7 weeks you are going to see a shift from one season to the next -- even if it's only the whisper of the next one in the trees.

This year I finished in Santiago on Sept. 9th. In 2014, I arrived in Santiago on October 9th. This year it was a transition from a blistering summer to a warm fall with cool mornings. In 2014, when we were walking into O Cebreiro there were wee flurries in the dark morning, but it was the height of summer by the time we were back to more regular elevations. Take light weight gloves, layers (merino base, a fleece, and a Buff). You'll be fine. Merino is wonderful because it stays cool in the heat and warm in the cold. I had one long sleeve and one T for each trip. I had a T for sleeping in too, and would generally wear that while doing laundry. I was able to check into a spot about once a week where I could have my laundry done (with friends to make it more affordable), and wait in a fluffy robe provided by the hotel or pensione, etc. Everything was as perfectly clean as one can expect on Camino, and I was never too hot or too cold.

The first time I did not take gloves and had to buy some in León and they were not great. This time I took light-weight running gloves and pulled them into service for most mornings in the mountains at the end.

PS -- I discovered my favourite fleece (my ONLY fleece) at the Harrican Shop in Astorga in 2014 -- made by the UK company "Trespass" -- it's stretchy instead of rigid, and is darted at to provide a nicer fit on a woman, and it has "thumbies" to help keep hands warm. My first one is now rather stained from constant used with poles so I bought a second one for when I want to look more "put together" and was able to find it on Amazon. The stretchiness makes it wonderful as it avoids pulling and does not chafe at the seams.

PPS -- IMO yes to a rain jacket; just get one that is light-weight and wear something under it with long sleeves to prevent dampness. I took one this time and I was so much less grumpy on the one rainy day than when I trudged through driving rain in Galicia in a poncho.

It depends where you are on the trail. Basically, if you are going to walk for 6-7 weeks you are going to see a shift from one season to the next -- even if it's only the whisper of the next one in the trees.

This year I finished in Santiago on Sept. 9th. In 2014, I arrived in Santiago on October 9th. This year it was a transition from a blistering summer to a warm fall with cool mornings. In 2014, when we were walking into O Cebreiro there were wee flurries in the dark morning, but it was the height of summer by the time we were back to more regular elevations. Take light weight gloves, layers (merino base, a fleece, and a Buff). You'll be fine. Merino is wonderful because it stays cool in the heat and warm in the cold. I had one long sleeve and one T for each trip. I had a T for sleeping in too, and would generally wear that while doing laundry. I was able to check into a spot about once a week where I could have my laundry done (with friends to make it more affordable), and wait in a fluffy robe provided by the hotel or pensione, etc. Everything was as perfectly clean as one can expect on Camino, and I was never too hot or too cold.

The first time I did not take gloves and had to buy some in León and they were not great. This time I took light-weight running gloves and pulled them into service for most mornings in the mountains at the end.

PS -- I discovered my favourite fleece (my ONLY fleece) at the Harrican Shop in Astorga in 2014 -- made by the UK company "Trespass" -- it's stretchy instead of rigid, and is darted at to provide a nicer fit on a woman, and it has "thumbies" to help keep hands warm. My first one is now rather stained from constant used with poles so I bought a second one for when I want to look more "put together" and was able to find it on Amazon. The stretchiness makes it wonderful as it avoids pulling and does not chafe at the seams.

PPS -- IMO yes to a rain jacket; just get one that is light-weight and wear something under it with long sleeves to prevent dampness. I took one this time and I was so much less grumpy on the one rainy day than when I trudged through driving rain in Galicia in a poncho.
Thanks for that Morgan. Really informative.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've walked the CF in September a couple of times, and had everything from very hot sunny days to almost snow! But usually September is settled, fine and clear. I think, from the perspective of weather, it is the best time to go.

I prefer spring, because it is green, but it is also more likely to rain and be muddy.

Regardless of the month you should always carry a waterproof layer! You may get lucky and never need it, but there's a reason that Galicia is so green!

When I walked in September the weather was overall settled and dry. Cool mornings changing to hot, 30+ middays in some cases, with a half day of squalls outside Carrion. I carried a long sleeve shirt, t shirt and a light fleece so could easily layer as needed with a rain jacket and trousers as a windproof/waterproof layer. My advice, for what its worth, is to carry clothes you can layer as that way you have most of the bases covered.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You have to think of a poncho like a multipurpose item you are carrying. Same as any other just to lessen the weight.
On the Meseta there will likely be strong northern wind (even in the summer) and plastic poncho stop it.
You can put the poncho under your bum in the middle of nowhere without any large rock or a tree trunk for your picknick lunch.
If you are cold in the albergue put a poncho between your sleeping bag and a blanket.
And so on...

Some people think very highly of the Ikea poncho on this forum. Makes you look like Dath Vader!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm keen to hear from people who've done the Camino Frances in September. I'm planning my first Camino in Sept 2019. What's the weather like in september ? Will it be cold ? Rainy ? Should I carry a fleece layer ? A light jacket ? Water proof jacket ?

I've done it several times in September and honestly, you never know what the weather will be. It could be cold? It could be hot. It could rain.

Yes, I'd definitely carry a fleece, in fact, layering is the way to go. I'd also carry a poncho or waterproof jacket. I never carry a "real" jacket - I much prefer a merino wool sweater - and so far in all these years I have never needed a heavy jacket at all. Just layers.

This year I finished in Santiago on Sept. 9th. In 2014, I arrived in Santiago on October 9th. This year it was a transition from a blistering summer to a warm fall with cool mornings. In 2014, when we were walking into O Cebreiro there were wee flurries in the dark morning, but it was the height of summer by the time we were back to more regular elevations. Take light weight gloves, layers (merino base, a fleece, and a Buff). You'll be fine. Merino is wonderful because it stays cool in the heat and warm in the cold. I had one long sleeve and one T for each trip. I had a T for sleeping in too, and would generally wear that while doing laundry. I was able to check into a spot about once a week where I could have my laundry done (with friends to make it more affordable),
I am with you on the Q of Merino.. it has saved my butt and my general health many a time. Good in wet condition, brilliant in Polypropylane/ wool mixture, absolutely excellent in odour control, wants very little washing during long stretches & if you are under bad conditions for washing and drying overnight...
My absolute saviour is a Woolpower Merino looped frotté pullover. - In spite of being slept in, it never picked up odour...
In May ´14 when we went into Galicia in some rainy days, I was the only one not coughing like a sick hyena ...
Merino Rules !!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.