A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Live - Camino Francés Autumn on the Meseta

2020 Camino Guides

LTfit

Veteran Member
Today was such a marvelous day to walk that I just kept going. I have now reached León so have officially left the Meseta.

It was a crisp cool departure at 1c from the wonderful Albergue de las Benedictinas in Sahagún. Luckily the sun came out making those long stretches with trees in autumn colors just beautiful. Take a look for yourself.

DSC_2078.JPG

Later ir clouded over but the temperature was perfect for walking.

DSC_2083.JPG

Send me a message if any forum member is around and would like to meet. Tomorrow off to Christine's Albergue Villares de Órbigo.

Ultreia!

LTfit

Veteran Member
LT, those are just breathtaking pictures. I cannot believe you walked that far — are you turning north tomorrow or is the weather too dicey?
Yes I did, Laurie and Sabine. Just calculated yesterday which was a bit longer from Fromista to Sahagún. It is just too beautiful not to be outside walking ;)

It looks like I might make it to Santiago and so will save the Salvador and the Primitivo for next year.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Reb said it was just a dusting of snow the other day in Moratinos. I love this time of year, great photos.
I am planning le Puy next summer.

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015)
Today was such a marvelous day to walk that I just kept going. I have now reached León so have officially left the Meseta.

It was a crisp cool departure at 1c from the wonderful Albergue de las Benedictinas in Sahagún. Luckily the sun came out making those long stretches with trees in autumn colors just beautiful. Take a look for yourself.

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

Send me a message if any forum member is around and would like to meet. Tomorrow off to Christine's Albergue Villares de Órbigo.

Ultreia!
Beautiful!

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Gorgeous photos. I walked in April, when the fields were emerald green and the sky baby blue, and a million birds seemed to be singing at once. The golds and reds, and browns, and tans, of fall look equally beautiful. I love the meseta. I hope I walk it again someday.

Chris Gi

Camino(s) past & future
Did April through June 2018 from Pamplona to Santiago. 2020 May or end of September.
Marvellous! I did Camino in the summer. It was beautiful. I miss it so much. I believe it's wonderful to be out there now. Autumn is something special. Good luck! Keep walking! :)
I walked the Meseta in May when it was a wash with vibrant red poppies in amongst lush green fields. So very beautiful.

Jeff Titelius

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (León to Santiago) 2018

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

Ultreia!
Beautiful pics!!!! What a wonderful way to finish the Maseta! Buen Camino!

lovetoread3

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Abril 2018; Primitivo May 2018
In spite of walking along the road through that stretch, to me the Meseta was breath taking and I cannot wait to walk it again. I loved those trees when they were green and I know I will love them in autumn as well. Thanks so much for posting :)

DevereUx

Devereaux
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept-Oct 2018
The Meseta is an enduring memory. As I left Santiago on the train to Madrid, here's what I wrote in my blog: "Of all, the Meseta will be the most enduring. I’m glad I can’t see it speed by. It is a memory best left as is; a journey into my soul; to places I didn’t know existed.
While the mind fixes on a snapshot image of a gray, gravel road snaking over fields of grass, the soul recollects the visits of angels.
I had friends with me in Navarra.
I had companions with me in Galacia.
But, I had angels with me on the Meseta.
So much left behind outside the train window. So much remains inside.
I’m just realizing…the real journey has now begun.
I have known simple, intimately.
I’ve experienced slow, intimately.
I’ve reconnected to the earth, intimately.
Where will all this intimacy take me?
Ah, as the Pilgrim saying goes, 'The Camino provides.' "

Nodtralee

An seachránaí
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2013, Del Norte 2014, Frances 2015, Del Nortel 2018.
Thanks for posting them pictures. La Meseta is one of those places I keep getting good flashbacks of, in particular that area in your first picture. One of the great parts of the Camino.

Tony Bobcat

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

Ultreia!
Great photos LTfit. I’m so looking forward to completing my Camino

GaryAus

Camino(s) past & future
CF December 2017
Before I left Australia a few people said “don’t bother with the Meseta, it’s boring - catch the bus”. By the time I got there, I was suffering blistered heels and needed to do some long days (35kms) because I was under time pressure to catch the flight out of SdC, and wanted to make up some time. It was almost Christmas, there was snow and rain, and it was cold. I had slowed down to about 3k/hr because my feet were hurting, and a few times I thought that I might not make SdC. I learned more about myself on the Meseta than any other part of the Camino, and will always regard that stretch as having been presented to me as it was for a reason.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%