• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Autumn on the Meseta

LTfit

Veteran Member
Today was such a marvelous day to walk that I just kept going. I have now reached León so have officially left the Meseta.

It was a crisp cool departure at 1c from the wonderful Albergue de las Benedictinas in Sahagún. Luckily the sun came out making those long stretches with trees in autumn colors just beautiful. Take a look for yourself.

DSC_2078.JPG

Later ir clouded over but the temperature was perfect for walking.

DSC_2083.JPG

Send me a message if any forum member is around and would like to meet. Tomorrow off to Christine's Albergue Villares de Órbigo.

Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
LT, those are just breathtaking pictures. I cannot believe you walked that far — are you turning north tomorrow or is the weather too dicey?

Yes I did, Laurie and Sabine. Just calculated yesterday which was a bit longer from Fromista to Sahagún. It is just too beautiful not to be outside walking ;)

It looks like I might make it to Santiago and so will save the Salvador and the Primitivo for next year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Today was such a marvelous day to walk that I just kept going. I have now reached León so have officially left the Meseta.

It was a crisp cool departure at 1c from the wonderful Albergue de las Benedictinas in Sahagún. Luckily the sun came out making those long stretches with trees in autumn colors just beautiful. Take a look for yourself.

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

Send me a message if any forum member is around and would like to meet. Tomorrow off to Christine's Albergue Villares de Órbigo.

Ultreia!
Beautiful!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

Ultreia!
Beautiful pics!!!! What a wonderful way to finish the Maseta! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In spite of walking along the road through that stretch, to me the Meseta was breath taking and I cannot wait to walk it again. I loved those trees when they were green and I know I will love them in autumn as well. Thanks so much for posting :)

The Meseta is an enduring memory. As I left Santiago on the train to Madrid, here's what I wrote in my blog: "Of all, the Meseta will be the most enduring. I’m glad I can’t see it speed by. It is a memory best left as is; a journey into my soul; to places I didn’t know existed.
While the mind fixes on a snapshot image of a gray, gravel road snaking over fields of grass, the soul recollects the visits of angels.
I had friends with me in Navarra.
I had companions with me in Galacia.
But, I had angels with me on the Meseta.
So much left behind outside the train window. So much remains inside.
I’m just realizing…the real journey has now begun.
I have known simple, intimately.
I’ve experienced slow, intimately.
I’ve reconnected to the earth, intimately.
Where will all this intimacy take me?
Ah, as the Pilgrim saying goes, 'The Camino provides.' "

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 48339

View attachment 48340

Ultreia!
Great photos LTfit. I’m so looking forward to completing my Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Before I left Australia a few people said “don’t bother with the Meseta, it’s boring - catch the bus”. By the time I got there, I was suffering blistered heels and needed to do some long days (35kms) because I was under time pressure to catch the flight out of SdC, and wanted to make up some time. It was almost Christmas, there was snow and rain, and it was cold. I had slowed down to about 3k/hr because my feet were hurting, and a few times I thought that I might not make SdC. I learned more about myself on the Meseta than any other part of the Camino, and will always regard that stretch as having been presented to me as it was for a reason.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.