• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Availability of accommodation on Camino del Norte in October

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Hello,
This is my first post... I am planning my Camino for 2018. My wife and I will be starting in Geneva mid-June 2018, walking through to Le Puy-en Velay, then to Irun. We are walking an average of 15km per day, and would arrive in Irun on 2 September. Our intention is to then walk the Camino del Norte, and we would arrive at Villaviciosa on 3 October. We are still debating whether to continue the Norte, or to come down via the Primitivo, and one of the questions that may be important is whether there would still be accommodation available in October on the Norte (from Gijon westwards), or whether it would be wiser to take the Primitivo as there may be more pilgrims, and therefore more accommodation available.
Any advice/suggestions/ideas? Thank you in advance
Andrew

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum!

Wow...a very impressive walk. Hopefully, your schedule has some injury/rest days built in.
I have walked the Norte in mid September and into October. It was quite busy on all stages.
We did not divert to the Primitivo on that Camino and continued on the Norte.
We did not encounter any accomondation that was closed in October past Gijon.

The portion of the Norte past the Primitivo continued to have many pilgrims.
I did the Primitivo at a different time of the year.

Hello,
This is my first post... I am planning my Camino for 2018. My wife and I will be starting in Geneva mid-June 2018, walking through to Le Puy-en Velay, then to Irun. We are walking an average of 15km per day, and would arrive in Irun on 2 September. Our intention is to then walk the Camino del Norte, and we would arrive at Villaviciosa on 3 October. We are still debating whether to continue the Norte, or to come down via the Primitivo, and one of the questions that may be important is whether there would still be accommodation available in October on the Norte (from Gijon westwards), or whether it would be wiser to take the Primitivo as there may be more pilgrims, and therefore more accommodation available.
Any advice/suggestions/ideas? Thank you in advance
Andrew

Hi, Andrew, let me echo Grayland's welcome. Sounds like a great camino. I think that you should leave your decision till you are closer to Villaviciosa. In part, it may depend on the people you have met and which route they are taking, or maybe coastal weather is in a stubborn persistent bad weather (or good weather) pattern, or maybe you will have had your fill of beautiful ocean views (many of which you have to leave the Camino for, but I have a thread that tries to help you do that https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/)

I walked the Primitivo once in October and found that albergues were all open, but I would imagine the same would be true on the Norte. I was just on the Norte this year, ten years after my first Norte, and was surprised at how many lovely new albergues there are west of Gijon. Lots of posts in the Norte sub-forum for more information, but O Xistral, Casa Carmina, Reposo de Andayon, Albergue Tu Casa, and La Recoral de Priesca are a few that jump to mind as having raised the standard with their absolutely terrific albergues.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Are you planning to walk from SJPP to Irun? There are some recent posts on the GR10 that have put that on my wish list as well!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Grayland and Laurie for your replies.
We have decided we will divert from Villaviciosa down to Oviedo, and then come back up to the coastal route at Aviles.
Laurie, we're leaving GR65 at Arthez de Béarn, and following the river to Bayonne, and then down the coast to Irun, not going to SJPdP.
We're checking all your alternatives to the asphalt: thank you for your work!
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:
Thank you Grayland and Laurie for your replies.
We have decided we will divert from Villaviciosa down to Oviedo, and then come back up to the coastal route at Aviles.
Laurie, we're leaving GR65 at Arthez de Béarn, and following the river to Bayonne, and then down the coast to Irun, not going to SJPdP.
We're checking all your alternatives to the asphalt: thank you for your work!
Cheers
Andrew
^
Just a heads up to say that there are great ways to divide up many of those coastal alternatives into two shorter days, in keeping with your wish to keep to around 15 km. And I would be happy to help you do that -- Colunga, La Isla, Nueva, Pendueles, Liendo, etc are all places that are not typical "stage ending places" but would work awfully well if you wanted to tackle some of these coastal alternatives without having a 38 km day! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie!
We have used the Buen Camino app to work out stages, with our longest day being 22km, but an average of just under 15km per day.
I'll admit that we try to give ourselves a decent night's sleep at hotels (I am a very light sleeper!), So many of our stops are at towns where we have availability of a bedroom, not a dormitory. That said, there are many stops at albergues.
Thanks for the suggestions: we still have some work in planning our walk, so we'll check these out.
Cheers
Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.