• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Availability of electrolytes in the stores?

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
I'm trying to cut some weight out of my pack...

I was going to bring a 35 day supply of electrolytes supplements for my drinking water. The weight is ~12oz.

So I'm considering bringing just a couple days worth and buy them along the Camino Frances.

Soooo, a few questions before I leave them home (NOTE: I'm interested in the tabs/packets that you mix with your water... not the bottled stuff like Gatorade.)
  1. Are they readily available to buy?
  2. Supermarkets or drug stores?
  3. What brands are available? (I like Nuun & SIS)
  4. Taste??
  5. Are they sugar-free/low carb???
  6. Reasonably priced??
Yes, I know you can get minerals from food. But I'm on a Keto diet (and hope to stay in mild ketosis along the Camino) and because of that, I need more minerals. PLUS, I find that I drink more water if it has a little flavor in it.

THANKS for your help!!!

Cheers,

-jj

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I buy them in the farmacias along the way, as I need them. I’ve never seen them in a supermarket here (I’m currently on the VdlP)

A few years back I seem to recall the outcome of some research published in the Lancet. It found that the best of all the "electrolytes" so-called was milk.

De Colores

Bogong

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
domigee - You must not have had the right beer then :cool:

Anyway, back to electrolytes - like others said, we found the tablets in the farmacias - the ones we bought were sort of citrus flavored - nothing heavy, just a light flavor. They tasted fine.

Since you are keto, you probably won't be having beer at the end of the day, but yes - for those who aren't watching carbs, beer is an exellent beverage for the end of a day of walking or hiking. Helps relax and restore the muscles.

€46,-
Aquarius is a drink sold everywhere, which I believe has electrolytes. Some farmacias do not have them.

domigee - You must not have had the right beer then :cool:

Anyway, back to electrolytes - like others said, we found the tablets in the farmacias - the ones we bought were sort of citrus flavored - nothing heavy, just a light flavor. They tasted fine.

Since you are keto, you probably won't be having beer at the end of the day, but yes - for those who aren't watching carbs, beer is an exellent beverage for the end of a day of walking or hiking. Helps relax and restore the muscles.

No, the embarrassing truth is that I got very drunk on beer at 15, whilst with my parents in Munich! That was a loooong time ago but try as I may, I can never drink more than a bare mouthful now :(
Sorry for being off topic! Won't do it again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Supermarkets have fewer OTC type products so that pharmacies can stay in business. We have used Decathlon tablets and powder but their stores are often not central. Best to use the pharmacies which are plentiful.

Aquarius is a drink sold everywhere, which I believe has electrolytes. Some farmacias do not have them.

The OP stated that he didn't want any drinks, just tabs or powders so that he could mix it into his own water. The Aquarius is OK though :)

Yes, aquarius is fine if you don't mind the sugar, but it does have quite a bit of sugar in it. Anyone trying to limit carbs won't want to drink it regularly. I think the sugar content is why people compare it to Coke. I don't know if either is better or worse than the other - probably depends on your criteria.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, aquarius is fine if you don't mind the sugar, but it does have quite a bit of sugar in it. Anyone trying to limit carbs won't want to drink it regularly. I think the sugar content is why people compare it to Coke. I don't know if either is better or worse than the other - probably depends on your criteria.

:) Right...the OP will definitely not want to drink Aquarius if he is avoiding carbs.

Sausage, bread, cheese, nuts and chocolate are great for replacing electrolytes. No sugar or carb is ever wasted on the Camino - they are fuel!

-Paul

Sausage, bread, cheese, nuts and chocolate are great for replacing electrolytes. No sugar or carb is ever wasted on the Camino - they are fuel!

-Paul

But the OP doesn't want carbs, as he is on a keto diet. He is looking for a non carb electrolyte supplement. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did find that dietary supplements were notably more expensive in Spain. Also worth looking for natural foods stores ( herbalistas?).

I was going to bring a 35 day supply of electrolytes supplements for my drinking water. The weight is ~12oz.

So I'm considering bringing just a couple days worth and buy them along the Camino Frances.

Soooo, a few questions before I leave them home (NOTE: I'm interested in the tabs/packets that you mix with your water... not the bottled stuff like Gatorade.)
  4. Taste??
  6. Reasonably priced??
Yes, I know you can get minerals from food. But I'm on a Keto diet (and hope to stay in mild ketosis along the Camino) and because of that, I need more minerals. PLUS, I find that I drink more water if it has a little flavor in it.

THANKS for your help!!!

Cheers,

-jj
Hi
I walked the CF last September/October and did the same thing, brought some electrolytes (Nuun) and hoped to find more along the way. I’m glad to see some had great success with this as I found nothing. Farmacia’s kept telling me all they had was magnesium tablets and the large stores in Burgos and Leon had nothing that I saw. Nuun, as a brand is only available in Barcelona ad far as I could see. I will have to consult this post if/when I walk again for the brands to look/ask for. Buen Camino!! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

4. Taste??
  6. Reasonably priced??

THANKS for your help!!!

Cheers,

-jj
you could try going into a farmacia and asking for LITINES. The ones we used were sachets, powder. Mildly repugnant taste, but one litre later, gone! swallowed! They were there before sports drinks and other paraphernalia...

Take your tabs if you are wanting to avoid sugars.

Best of luck on that Keto thing. Going to be a rough damn Camino for ya food wise.

It’s possible :)
Eating a menu del dia in the middle of the day, fasting for 13 hours or more overnight, would help.
There’s chorizo, Jamón ibérico, cheeses (if the OR hasn’t cut out dairy entirely),
fresh fruit and vegetables .... he doesn’t have to eat chips/french fries etc. He could even eat some high fibre bread, sometimes.

It’s also possible to get hold of mineral concentrates in liquid form. A few drops a day is all that is necessary, so 100ml would probably be enough.
There would also be lots of salts and vitamins in low carb fruits and veg. :)

It’s the dietary fats that would be important to OP, as these would be the primary source of energy .... and they are great for endurance and stamina.

@JJinWI
I’d love to know if you did manage to stay in ketosis, mild or otherwise :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take your tabs if you are wanting to avoid sugars.

Best of luck on that Keto thing. Going to be a rough damn Camino for ya food wise.

In a way you are right :) But I would lean a bit toward it being more inconvenient to maintain the Keto diet than it being rough. One can always purchase suitable foods at a supermercado, or choose on-menu dishes at restaurants when the menu del dia options are too heavy on carbs. It would be more of an effort and require one to be thinking ahead about making sure one's bases are covered so that if the plan 'A' of eating restaurant or albergue fare won't work, a plan 'B' is in one's backpack. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Also, if you are eating menu del dia or pilgrims menu, which are usually 3 courses (1st, 2nd, and dessert) you can often pick 2 items off the 1st course list if there are 2 items there that you can eat. - this gives you a little bit more flexibility. I did this regularly because the 1st course items are usually lighter and I don't have a big appetite. And of course you can always skip dessert. I don't eat a lot of sugar, so I usually skipped dessert myself - often I was offered coffee or tea as a substitute.

I didn't mean you cant do it, just gonna be rough and take a lot of work. To keep my muscle mass at current state I require 135 grams of lean protein a day. After 5 or 6 days I gave up on that goal as it eventually was all I had to think about. In the end I lost 7% of my lean muscle mass on the Camino(measured pre and post camino via dexa scan). That sucks and it takes a while to get it back.

JJ, (the OP) if you get through the Camino staying in ketosis, please, please, PLEASE do a write up. I know tons of folks that are dabbling with keto and your experiences would be invaluable!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been on a keto type diet for the last 6 months (25-50 carbs) and noticed a lot of health benefits (joint pain, asthma, tiredness...all improved). Recently tried to up my carb intake to about 70 -100 carbs a day for a week and felt bad (felt a little better by the end of the week but ended up reducing my carb intake anyway after that experiment). I want to walk the Camino in the near future and was wondering what someone on a keto diet would do? It seems bread is a major food source on the Camino and I think I would have problems with that. What has been your experience JJ?
thanx

Last edited:
Well... I tried for a while. Here are some details:
  • I started out eating keto for the first couple of weeks.
    • Breakfast - I would have several handful of nuts OR bacon/eggs if available.
    • Lunch - I would buy the 1 euro packs of salami and cheese plus an apple or orange.
    • Dinner - really tough because many small towns would only offer a pilgrim meal with included bread, french fries... So I would eat a few fries.
  • After a few weeks I could see I was losing lots of weight and my energy levels were starting to go down. I just wasn't getting enough calories. FYI... I was nordic walking which burns ~30% more calories than just hiking. According to a calorie calculator I found on the web, I was burning ~3-4,000 calories a day and was not getting close to that on the intake side.
  • So, I had to find high calorie foods and started eating ice cream bars for a couple of reasons:
    • High calories
    • High in fat (but high in carbs)
    • Available everywhere
    • Tastes GREAT :cool:
    • I usually had 1 (or 2) after dinner
    • My thinking was that I would burn all the carbs in the first few hours of hiking.
  • I also doubled-up on my lunch of meat & cheeses.
  • After these changes, I started to maintain/slightly gain my weight.
  • I wish I had brought a few keto strips to see how I was doing during the Camino :mad:
  • I also shoot for ~30 carbs a day (non-Camino) and find it works for me.
  • I did have great energy for the first 7-10 days (while in Keto), but I got pretty thin pretty quickly. I'm 5"10" and started at 163 pounds. I think I must have got down to ~150 pounds before I changed my diet. I could really tell the difference in my waist belt. I just wasn't eating enough. You know how it is when you are in Keto... it really suppresses your appetite and I was burning lots of calories nordic walking.
Sooooo, I think you can eat Keto on the Camino. The biggest problem for me was dinner AND not getting enough calories during the day. I guess I could have bought a bottle of olive oil and added it to my meals, but my pack was already pretty heavy (~10kg...22 pounds. I carried stuff to do a daily blog)

Hope this helps.

-jj

Last edited:
FYI to ALL...

I had no problems finding sugar-free electrolytes supplements along the Camino.

You can find them in every pharmacy... and they are everywhere :).

Cheers,

-jj

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well... I tried for a while. Here are some details:
  • I started out eating keto for the first couple of weeks.
    • Breakfast - I would have several handful of nuts OR bacon/eggs is available.
    • Lunch - I would buy the 1 euro packs of salami and cheese plus an apple or orange.
    • Dinner - really tough because many small towns would only offer a pilgrim meal with included bread, french fries... So I would eat a few fries.
  • After a few weeks I could see I was losing lots of weight and my energy levels were low. I just wasn't getting enough calories. FYI... I was nordic walking which burns ~30% more calories than just hiking. According to a calorie calculator I found on the web, I was burning ~3-4,000 calories a day and was not getting close to that on the intake side.
  • So, I had to find high calorie foods and started eating ice cream bars for a couple of reasons:
    • High calories
    • High in fat (but high in carbs)
    • Available everywhere
    • Tastes GREAT :cool:
    • I usually had 1 (or2) after dinner
    • My thinking was that I would burn all the carbs in the first few hours of hiking.
  • I also doubled-up on my lunch of meat & cheeses.
  • After these changes, I started to maintain my weight.
  • I wish I had brought a few keto strips to see how I was doing during the Camino :mad:
  • I also shoot for ~30 carbs a day (non-Camino) and find it works for me.
  • I did have great energy for the first 7-10 days (while in Keto), but I got pretty thin pretty quickly. I'm 5"10" and started at 163 pounds. I think I must have got down to ~150 pounds before I changed my diet. I could really tell the difference in my waist belt. I just wasn't eating enough. You know how it is when you are in Keto... it really suppresses your appetite and I was burning lots of calories nordic walking.
Sooooo, I think you can eat Keto on the Camino. The biggest problem for me was dinner AND not getting enough calories during the day. I guess I could have bought a bottle of olive oil and added it to my meals, but my pack was already pretty heavy (~10kg...22 pounds. I carried stuff to do a daily blog)

Hope this helps.

-jj

A menu del dia, earlier in the day, (late lunch) might have worked.
There would have been more choice than a pilgrim’s meal and it would have provided an opportunity to have had an hour or two’s rest in the heat of the day.

A 13+ hour overnight fast might help.

Ice cream sounds great, but I would want to avoid the sugar ...

btw ... I doubt my strips would survive the heat!

@Patrick2by4

How much does exercise contribute to your keto state?
You’ll probably be doing much more on the Camino, so you might be able to increase your carbs a little.

Thanks for the reply JJ. Hmm, I do eat a banana before I go swimming (once or twice a week) and noticed it barely affects my ketosis because of all the exercise. I guess with that much walking, I will probably be ok to up my carbs (as well as my total caloric intake for that matter). I will probably be taking a small bottle of olive oil with me and refill it every other day. Thanks for the tips. (will also pack some keto strips).

Thanks for the reply JJ. Hmm, I do eat a banana before I go swimming (once or twice a week) and noticed it barely affects my ketosis because of all the exercise. I guess with that much walking, I will probably be ok to up my carbs (as well as my total caloric intake for that matter). I will probably be taking a small bottle of olive oil with me and refill it every other day. Thanks for the tips. (will also pack some keto strips).

I live keto as well and had a bit of difficulty on the first camino, but the second was easier because I planned better from day to day. I made sure I got to markets before closing hours in the afternoon, bought small apples and bananas ( that I never eat at home, but made no impact while walking ) , did my best to take advantage of eggs, meats, chicken and avoided any/all carbs possible. If chicken was available in the evening, I'd pack leftovers and have for breakfast. Certainly needed to eliminate the wine at meals. I do bring my own powders from home, but remove the individual packaging and dump several into one ziplock pill pocket/bag. The packaging itself accounts for the weight. I had a very hard time finding sugar free tabs or packets on my first and subsequent caminos. There may be a random sporting goods store in bigger towns, but for sure it's not right on the walk itself and will add to your treks to get there. It's a learning curve, but doable with planning :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back