• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Availability of Instant ice Packs

Vince Lee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi, am arriving in St. Jean 5 weeks from today with friends/family to start the Camino. Training has gone well but I am having to manage an ankle problem that occasionally flares up (have gone through appropriate medical consultations and just need to manage it). Whilst I know I can ask for ice in bars or buy packs of frozen peas in supermarkets to use as ice packs, has anyone come across instant ice packs in pharmacies along the Camino route? I mean the type you squeeze setting off a chemical reaction in the pack that results in them freezing for ~40 minutes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, am arriving in St. Jean 5 weeks from today with friends/family to start the Camino. Training has gone well but I am having to manage an ankle problem that occasionally flares up (have gone through appropriate medical consultations and just need to manage it). Whilst I know I can ask for ice in bars or buy packs of frozen peas in supermarkets to use as ice packs, has anyone come across instant ice packs in pharmacies along the Camino route? I mean the type you squeeze setting off a chemical reaction in the pack that results in them freezing for ~40 minutes.

No worries Vince...they have them in stock.
I know this from experience...:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I sprained an ankle while on the Camino and bought a reusable gel pack that you can put in the freezer or microwave. All of the albergues allowed me to use their freezers. They freeze quickly, and in the morning I just popped it into a zip-lock bag and stowed it in an outer pack pocket. I think that this is a less expensive option.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, collapsible water drink bottles like the one I just brought (750ml / 30grams) for $6.99 (Australian) double as a freezable icepack.. An hour in a freezer and all good to go. Saves $ Environmentally friendliest/ recycleable, dual purpose and on hand when you need it

Almost every Albergue I stayed in (May-June 17) had frozen gel packs that they'd loan you or ice they'd give you. I saved a couple plastic bags that I used to ice my knee. You may try that before carrying the extra weight. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Almost every Albergue I stayed in (May-June 17) had frozen gel packs that they'd loan you or ice they'd give you. I saved a couple plastic bags that I used to ice my knee. You may try that before carrying the extra weight. Buen Camino.

But do not fall asleep with that icepack on your knee...especially when the protection cloth falls off and the pack is directly on the skin.
I learnt it the hard way...with a cold blister and discolouring of my knee as an everlasting proof...:D
And me crying at Albergue Tio Pepe and the lady there hugging me.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.