• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

average daily distance

mickcope

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino - Sarria
We are coming out to start the Camino next year. But as to be expected - there are a range of norms on this site for the daily distance walked.

I wondered do many people plan to walk a rough 30km day?

Cheers
Mick

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No, except those that do. I try not to plan distances at all so 15km one day 35km the next depending on mood, weather, terrain, the availability of a very good lunch......

Some caminos demand 30km plus days 'cos thats the distance between food & shelter. On the Frances, with a couple of exceptions you could walk 5km per day between shelters. Depending on which you are planning to walk your plan might be dictated by the available facilities or just your available time, fitness levels and personal inclinations.

I worked out that my daily average is 22km. I really don't like 30km, but many people are happy with that and more. But then, I usually walk for over 5 months at a time so I don't actually think about distance while walking as I have all the time in the world.

To me, the lower the daily distance = longer on camino, more villages visited, more lovely people met. Last time I walked the Primitivo I averaged 10km a day! (And met the same group every day too)!

Take your time, it is wonderful.
Davey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Four km/hrs in a plain, with reasonable weather (including a five minutes rest per hour),
Three km/hr in steep sections and muddy paths (my favorites! :) )
Preferred average distance: 25 km. Could make more than 30 if needed, but I don't like it.
A sixty's guy, used to walk, but not particularly fast.

We are coming out to start the Camino next year. But as to be expected - there are a range of norms on this site for the daily distance walked.

Cheers
Mick
Which camino will you be on? If it is the Camino francés, walking 30 km a day is only a personal choice, not a necessity.
Personally, it varies... Depends on how much time I have available, where I want to stay, IF there is accommodation or not, on the weather....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I worked out that my daily average is 22km. I really don't like 30km, but many people are happy with that and more. But then, I usually walk for over 5 months at a time so I don't actually think about distance while walking as I have all the time in the world.

To me, the lower the daily distance = longer on camino, more villages visited, more lovely people met. Last time I walked the Primitivo I averaged 10km a day! (And met the same group every day too)!

Take your time, it is wonderful.
Davey
Hi -- could you share your schedule for the primitivo that enabled you to have 10km days? Thank you.

The average daily distance is very individual.
There is the effect of getting fitter as well... if you do not overdo it (fitting shoes, no overloaded backpack, walking not too fast and not too long for your current fitness) and if you do not get any severe medical issues...

I walked at the beginning maybe an average daily distance of around 24 km... after 4 to 5 weeks about 32km for a few days (if there was any reason for doing this like far distances between albergues (camino de invierno) or catching up with a friend; but better never do this if you do not know that you can do it without problems)...
If I had started with a 30km day or an average daily distance of 30km for a few days I think I would have got severe problems with my feet or legs or both.

If someone does not know that he / she is okay with a 30km day... I would recommend to plan shorter distances. And on the Camino Frances you never need to walk 30km.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@mickcope
One issue which has not been mentioned above which is significant in planning my average daily distance is the cost of my return flight home. I can't just walk any distance that I happen to feel like from day to day, or I might miss my flight home to western Canada. On my first camino, I gave myself extra days because I planned for lots of days off. I didn't want days off, so I ended up arriving in Santiago nearly two weeks ahead of my flight home, and had to fill in time. Now that I know that I am comfortable walking a 20 km day with few or no days off before Santiago, I can plan for my walk and my return flight. Of course I can, and sometimes do, walk longer or shorter days and I had to on the Via de la Plata, depending on the distance between villages. As this thread is about the camino Frances, that will be less of a problem. But I would caution against planning on walking your maximum comfortable distance every day if you have a long distance flight to catch to get home. I know that I can walk more than 20 km if something unexpected happens, so that is my cushion in case of accident or sickness or a strong desire to spend a day or two extra in any one location. Buen camino whatever you decide.

I averaged about 20km per day. My longest days were around 25km. I thought I would average around 25km, but I learned that 25km is about my limit for each day and I am much more comfortable at 20km. My feet are my limiting factor - plantar facitis, but of course I didn't know that until about 4 days into my 1st Camino when it cropped up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Which camino will you be on? If it is the Camino francés, walking 30 km a day is only a personal choice, not a necessity.
Personally, it varies... Depends on how much time I have available, where I want to stay, IF there is accommodation or not, on the weather....

Sorry . Camino francés . Ta . MIck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Cheers
Mick

Hi Mick,

The distance that others walk per day is totally irrelevant ;)

I walked between 25-35kms a day last Camino with a few short days 16-20kms, and a rest day in Burgos and Leon. I was on a time limit.
But next time around 20kms a day - more time to look around and experience everything.
In my opinion its not really Can you walk that far each day, but Should you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Around 33-35km is my preferred distance but as everyone else has mentioned, what others do is really of no importance! You will find out while walking what works best for you. And keep in mind that you build strength and endurance while walking.

Looking back at the last 8 years of walking different Caminos I always seem to average 33 km per day but I often throw in stages of close to 40 km or more. It works for me. It's also why there are very few people who like to walk with me:D!

I personally don't take rest days unless there is something special to visit but rather do a short stage of 20 km or less and do sightseeing n the afternoon.

With time everyone finds their best pace and distance:)

22 to 25 kilometers is kind of the 'sweet spot' for my wife and I (late fifties.) Once we are much over 30, it begins to feel bit like a forced march and a slog.
The terrain of course and weather makes a huge difference. 25 kilometers in wet muddy conditions is a tough day or in very hilly terrain.
The best idea is to have a fairly open itinerary before you start. If your schedule and return flight requires 25 to 30 kilometers of walking per day, the fun of a Camino rapidly disappears in my opinion.
On our first couple of Camino's we more or less stuck to plan of where we wanted to be each night. On our last couple we use our itinerary as a guide only. If we find a fascinating little village with lots to see and it is only 15 kilometers of walking, then we are done for the day. If we hit a day of flat walking with not much to see then we may stretch it out and walk 35 kilometers.
Make sure you have enough days allotted in your Camino walk to keep maximum flexibility on your daily walking distances.

On our 2016 Camino, we planned to settle into 25 - 30 km per day but we found that doing so created blister issues for my son that 20-25 km per day didn't. So we chanfged our plans.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It all depends on your walking capabilities. On our first Camino we planned 30 k a day. We found it was to much for us. We found 20-25 km per day was better for us. We had to add some days to our walk. Our next walk in March 2019 we are giving enough time to cover 15-20 km. and smell the flowers. I am in my late 60's

Last edited:

Cheers
Mick

Cheers
Mick

I made the mistake of doing a quick calculation in my head of the distance remaining on the Camino Frances last April, booked the flights home from Santiago and then realised belatedly that I'd committed my wife and I to a 10 day forced march of 32+ km per day including O Cebreiro in 80cm of snow. We did it but it wasn't pleasant.

On the Primitivo this summer we averaged a little under 25km per day and it was absolutely delightful. It's not difficult to walk long distances on the Frances,. 40+ km are perfectly possible in the summer but much of the joy of the Camino comes from talking to other pilgrims, listening to the bird songs and generally chilling out. I suggest that you take things very much as they come and walk as far as you feel relaxed and comfortable. As others have pointed out there are so many places to stay on the Camino, you can walk until you're beginning to feel tired and then stop at the next albergue which will be no more than 3 - 5 km further on.

Burn Camino

Cheers
Mick

Distance is secondary to everything; it's what you take away from the journey, that counts. Everyday how far you walk will be different, depending on the topography and to how you feel. Importantly, allow time for flexibility i.e. rest days, side adventures and the like. Many pilgrims complete the Camino in 30, some in 35 days -- while I took 42 days to complete. My guess, everyone returned home changed and with plans to return some day to do another Camino. Remember, it's all about the journey and not how many kn's you walk each day. Cheers & Happy Trails.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My average on vdlp 29 km a day over 38 days and on Norte via Primativo was 29.87km a day. Never take rest day my 5km an hour works for me

I averaged 12-13 miles a day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It all depends on several factors -- How old are you? What is your general physical condition? Have you trained for this by walking in increased distances over time? Are you trying to set a record? Etc. Etc.

My wife and I found that around 20km per day was best for us -- sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less (we're on the downhill side of 70). The shorter distances get you off the guidebook stages, which is a BIG advantage for several reasons, plus it gives you more time for R&R later in the afternoon/early evening.

I think it depends on how you want to spend your days

Some people prefer to have time in a day to visit religious or cultural spots. Which takes being in town during working hours. Some prefer a gastronomic exploration or breaking bread and wine in conversations with pilgrims and travelers. Lots of stops

For me it was the pleasure of the walk. And the more I walked the happier I was

Early on my CF I was doing 21-24 Km so as to not overdo it too soon
Within 3 weeks or so I had my legs and preferred 30-35 (35 was my max comfort zone)
To stop too soon seemed like wasting a good day (only for me)
Nanc

I like to start around 7:30 in the morning and finish before 3 in the afternoon. Depending on the terrain, how long I take when I break for breakfast and lunch and how often I stop to take pictures I cover between 25 - 30+ km. Anything less than 20km feels like a rest day to me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Cheers
Mick
For a few days

I guess it depends how much time you have to complete the Camino. We wanted to average 25kms per day, but sometimes we only did 10kms, other times we did 30+, so it depends on how you, and most importantly how your feet, are feeling. Just listen to your body. We had the luxury of taking 6 weeks to complete the Camino and to take a vacation afterwards, so we were able to play each day by ear. We did walk with others who did not have this luxury, and basically had to be in Santiago by a certain date so were not able to take their time. I can't imagine getting to Santiago and then getting on a plane home the next day, but I'm sure many others have had to. Having said all that, the big toe on my right foot went completely numb after about 10 days. I just happened to have a physical booked for the week after our return to Canada, and my doctor said it was either a pinched nerve in my foot or my back, and that the feeling would eventually return in my big toe and it did -- about three months later. We did the Camino, from SJPdP (Napoleone Route) to Santiago in 32 days, with two full rest days, and by renting bikes to cross the meseta, which saved us about 5 days. I know many say the meseta is where the Camino gets deep, but we wanted a change of scenery and it was fun. I'm know I'm way off topic now, so I think I will stop now. Lol!!

Buen Camino!!

Cheers
Mick
My husband and I (58 yrs. young) walked the Camino last summer and found that 22-25 km was our sweet spot. We did a few of the over 30km days but didn't enjoy it. In fact, we spent quite a bit of time in our alburgue one day changing our flights back to the States to give us a bit of extra time. We were feeling pressure to push ahead and decided that the looming deadline was interfering with our experience. Luckily the ticket cost was the same and we only had to pay an outrageous change fee. However, the extra 4 days let us relax and walk at our own comfortable pace as well as spend an extra day in Santiago and take the bus for a day and night in Fisterra. Perfect! Next time we will continue our walk to Muxia.

€60,-
I walked between 25-35kms a day last Camino with a few short days 16-20kms, and a rest day in Burgos and Leon. I was on a time limit.
But next time around 20kms a day - more time to look around and experience everything.
In my opinion its not really Can you walk that far each day, but Should you?

I'd agree ~20km/day or a half-marathon is the perfect daily distance. That distance is just enough to feel like you've done something but not so much that you feel like the walking dead.

I was also on a timeline and walked ~40-60 km per day. My longest stretch from Orison (5km outside SJPDP) to Pamplona was as beautiful as it was painful... and it was extremely beautiful.

Cheers
Mick
WE found that walking 25km average allowed us to enjoy the people we walked with and places we walked through. At 30+kms we were too tired at the end of the day. Less than 20kms felt like we were dawdling and had too much time. During the last week we reflected back and wished that we hadn't walked the longer days as it took away from our personal enjoyment of the Camino. It all depends on your preference.

FWIW, here is how I thought about this
  • Determine the total distance On the route
  • Determine how many days you have for walking (after taking out travel days to fly in to your start and out of Santiago
  • Decide how many off days you want per week
  • Decide if you want extended stays in any towns or villages
  • Once you have these, you can subtract the non-walking days from total days and then divide the total distance by that to get a number of average distance per day.
Now, you can get a gut check of if this is within _your_ capabilities. And you can change the parameters (route, off days, total duration) etc to try out other possibilities.

Finally, I decided that I would be ok if I can’t get to Santiago. Starting mid Sepatember (on the Norte) and running the risk of weather, fewer accommodations etc and this being my first time, setting this expectation really helped me relax about this.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Four km/hrs in a plain, with reasonable weather (including a five minutes rest per hour),
Three km/hr in steep sections and muddy paths (my favorites! :) )
Preferred average distance: 25 km. Could make more than 30 if needed, but I don't like it.
A sixty's guy, used to walk, but not particularly fast.
That's very helpful - giving an estimate of distance/hr with conditions

It may be easier for me in that I know I don't have long enough to get to Santiago from SJPP, so however far I walk I will just come back to that point next year. I just want to make sure I don't reserve a bed in advance and then find I can't get there.

On my first Camino, we averaged 25 km per day on El Norte, averaged 21 km per day Porto to Santiago last month, and more than 32 km per day with my son for four days heading west out of Geneva. It was his first exposure and he’s thirty years younger.
There are what I refer to as Venial Sin Sections and Mortal Sin Sections - which are the steepest, have the poorest traction, or are precipitous in nature. With too many of those, forward progress is limited. You can find approximate vertical displacements in various Camino guides or by using MAPS.ME or Google Maps which construct profile views.
Speed isn’t the primary concern unless you get caught in the weather or have a train or flight to catch. An extra day in Coimbra was very enjoyable and Tomar gives you the chance to examine the Knights Templar Castle and Fatima. The extra days at the beginning and end of a Camino - San Sebastian, Santiago, Porto, Lisbon, Lyon - are spent wisely. The Camino is like a great meal - don’t rush through it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.