• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

average days to do the CF?

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I've read many different accounts of how long it took to do the Camino and not make it a competition to do it fast. I will be turning 60 this year and my Daughter who will be my walking partner is in her 30's. I am in very good health without foot, knee or back problems. I can walk for hours. What is the average number of days it takes for the average, fairly fit people to walk the Camino Frances and still stop and smell the roses?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've read many different accounts of how long it took to do the Camino and not make it a competition to do it fast. I will be turning 60 this year and my Daughter who will be my walking partner is in her 30's. I am in very good health without foot, knee or back problems. I can walk for hours. What is the average number of days it takes for the average, fairly fit people to walk the Camino Frances and still stop and smell the roses?
I was "out" on the CF for 42 days, but took several days off here and there---two days in every big city (Pamplona, Leon, Burgos), and split some of the longer days up. I definitely was drinking the coffee, the wine, smelling the roses, laughing at stuff, dawdling along, having a beer with lemon, eating chocolate, and....

I was "out" on the CF for 42 days, but took several days off here and there---two days in every big city (Pamplona, Leon, Burgos), and split some of the longer days up. I definitely was drinking the coffee, the wine, smelling the roses, laughing at stuff, dawdling along, having a beer with lemon, eating chocolate, and....
That sounds like my kind of Camino. I don't drink coffee or wine, but I am an excellent rose smeller and chocolate eater and professional dawdler. My daughter and I will be walking september 22nd with our first night stay in Orisson. From then on it's a free for all with no set plans. Thanks for your reply

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great time to start! I spent Oct 1 at Orisson then walked to Santiago...arriving Nov. 11. You will not feel like you are dawdling, btw. Others, however, seem to be racing! Walking 500 or so miles in 40-ish days with a pack on is plenty of work!

Hi, I walked last year the Camino Frances in April / May and it took me 37 day's. There where day's of about 9km and a few day's over 30km. It was an average of about 22km. a day. No problem what so ever.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My daughter and I will be walking september 22nd with our first night stay in Orisson

I walked the camino with my mother. Such a great experience. Friends you meet along the way are great and all, but the bonds established by walking with family transcend the camino into everyday for the rest of your life (in my experience.)

Buen camino to you both.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We took 42 days. If you have the time then take as long as you can. Take every detour, poke your head into every church that is open and just enjoy your Camino. It's a special experience and you may only get a chance to walk it once so enjoy your walk. You would be surprised at how many walkers do not go to Samos which is not very far off the route but is one of the wonders of the CF.

What is the average number of days it takes for the average, fairly fit people to walk the Camino Frances and still stop and smell the roses?
This is an interesting question, but not one that any of us individually can answer, as you will have already seen. In 2010 I walked from SJPP to SDC in 33 days. There were others who had started at the same time who also arrived at the same time, others might have gone faster, and more had stayed somewhere an extra day. This year, I will have the advantage of being able to take a longer break, and plan to walk the same path in 45 days (including a rest day or two!).

I calculate, for me personally, 40 days, that gives me enough leeway if health/foot problems arise, rest days, time to smell the roses etc. Also I like to stays a few days in Santiago. But as others have said, each pilgrim is different. Also, again imo, it is always better to have days left over instead of having to hurry because of running out of time. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Based on your description of your physical fitness, I'd say you'd have no trouble averaging 15miles / 24 kms per day. That works out at approx. 33 days. Throw in 2 or 3 days for contingencies / rest days and you have your answer.
The important thing is to walk at your own pace and no-one else's.
Buen Camino!

44 days, no rest days but several very short ones ie ~7kms. We're journey walkers so always take our time if we can. You mention that you're a chocolate fan - here's a store for you to restock at in Astorga.

D029_0096.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just to get the average down - I walked it in 20 days with the luxury of a half day in Leon

This sounds like an athletic Camino, right? Everyone does it differently, so while you did this quickly, I never could have. There was so much to see! I like to really sink into a culture and people watch. Also, I really love to just spend time in the churches and the plazas in town. But that's just me!

Another thing I noticed was that while I am in my mid-50s and carrying too much weight, I never really got injured. I was sore a few times, to say the least, but I didn't have injuries. Lots of younger people in their 20s and 30s were getting Bad tendinitis and blisters, I think in part because they were hurrying.

But again, I am so curious. Would you do the same route again? Was there a reason that you went really fast?

Well I started out doing the Brierley stages but then one day I got to Los Arcos shortly after 11am - instead of waiting many hours for the albergue to open, I decided to walk another stage in the afternoon and followed that pattern to Santiago - on average, I spent 7.5 hours walking per day

Last year I walked the Camino Norte, albeit in three parts, in 20 days; the truth is that I enjoy walking - there's typically not much to do in small villages along the way - and I prefer to spend as little time as possible in the bigger towns

And, in purely practical terms, three weeks is quite a lot out of my annual holidays

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Joodle:

This really is a difficult question to answer. I would predicate my answer based on what an individual wants out of their Camino. You plan to walk with your daughter. What a great experience, I believe this will be. If you think you know each other now, imo, there is more to come.

If you are explorers and like to investigate historical spots, churches, cultural differences, food and drink etc., etc. along the way, I recommend 40-45 days. This gives you time to explore, take rest days, go to Finistere and Muxia or even spend some time exploring your port of ingress and egress (London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid etc.).

Others drivers could be for religious reasons, to deal with a change in their lives, introspection, time constraints or just as a physical challenge. These motivations tend to lead to 9 day (fastest Camino), a religious Camino motivation (could be to walk a day for every year Christ walked the earth) 33 days.

Ones age, physical condition and approach will also be contributing factors. Some like to walk a 6, 8, or 10 hour day and a pace anywhere between 3 to 7 km's an hour. So there are a lot of factors that contribute to an average time frame.

I assume you are looking for this feedback as a planning tool. That said, I would plan on somewhere between 35 to 45 days depending on where you fit into some of the few but not all criteria above.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I'm with Debrita, dawdle, go into every church, rattle every door, do all the monasteries that you can, museums such as the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos is an amazing building even if prehistory doesn't do it for you, the Nativity Museum in the Santa Clara monastery in Carrion de los Condes is another great place, take photographs! Lastly, learn to drink coffee and wine, great parts of the Camino which should not be missed.

I did it in 35. I had many short days and many long days. Next time, I'll give myself 40 or 45, just so I can do more of rose smelling and wine drinking!
I am telling myself that this is a "Once in a lifetime" trip. (We all know that's not true, based on this forum) and I told my daughter that I would not shorten my trip, or skip any stages. This is MY trip, that I am allowing her to go on. She got the message and said she would quit her job if needed, to make this an amazing trip. Yahooo!! It felt for awhile like it wasn't going to work out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am telling myself that this is a "Once in a lifetime" trip. (We all know that's not true, based on this forum) and I told my daughter that I would not shorten my trip, or skip any stages. This is MY trip, that I am allowing her to go on. She got the message and said she would quit her job if needed, to make this an amazing trip. Yahooo!! It felt for awhile like it wasn't going to work out.
Good for you. Wish you both well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

It's pretty simple really -- just divide 800 km by how many km/day you can realistically walk, plus throw in a couple (or maybe 3 or 4) rest days. Be conservative on your estimated average km/day, though, as probably most people tend to over-estimate based on their level of current fitness and don't factor in the grind of walking what is essentially a half-marathon a day for four or five weeks on end. If you have foot,leg, back or whatever issues along the way, you can take a couple of days off and make it up with short bus ride if you have a fixed completion date -- just don't do that in the last 100 km if you want a Compostela.

I recently talked with an acquaintance who walked from St Jean to Muxia in 29 days, but that's not a realistic goal for 99 percent of us. It took my wife and I 39 walking days to get from St Jean to Santiago, however we skipped a bit on a bus ride due to scheduling. And it did not include two rest days in Logroño and León. We were, at the time 68 and 69/70 (birthday in O'Cebreiro) and in reasonable, but not necessarily exceptional health.

I arrived in Santiago after 42 days, having taken 3 days off and a couple of half days. I could have done it faster, but I didn't really feel like I was being lazy!! At my age I was aware of my body's limitations and I avoided injury. For most people, I would recommend allowing 6 weeks if possible. If all goes faster, it would leave time for Finisterre. Of course if you have demonstrated the ability to walk longer distances faster, day upon day, then you would expect to do it in less time. If you don't have 6 weeks then you have to plan differently.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Like spursfan, I did the Camino Frances in 20 days, due to time constraints, and as an athletic Camino. I too, just like walking and have a good pace, from years of experience. And, I was 56 last summer. However, WHEN I do a Camino again, I will explore more, stick my head--and the rest of me--into churches more often, I will go to Samos, I'll venture into museums, and go off the beaten path, go to that village not on the Camino-but in view-to experience real rural Spain. Oh, so many things to see, so many roses to smell, so much cafe con leche to drink, so many people to chat with and enjoy their company. Enjoy your Camino.

Mine was 37 days which included two rest days because of acute bronchitis, but would take at least 45 days next time so I could do what Scruffy1 suggested. So much to see and experience. Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm going to be in Spain for 70 days (goes with my age, 70), start in Roncesvalles, aim for Muxia, and go just as slow as I want. As others have said, I want to get the most out of the Camino, have a meaningful experience, and go just as slowly as I need to in order to make the journey and avoid injury. 96 days to go, can't wait!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I calculate, for me personally, 40 days, that gives me enough leeway if health/foot problems arise, rest days, time to smell the roses etc. Also I like to stays a few days in Santiago. But as others have said, each pilgrim is different. Also, again imo, it is always better to have days left over instead of having to hurry because of running out of time. Buen Camino, SY
Couldn't agree more. I arrived in Santiago on a Thursday and stayed through the weekend. I highly recommend giving yourself time in Santiago to reconnect with friends you made along the way.

Joodle I'm 64 in 2011 I walked from SJPDP to SDC in 26 days with one day rest I wish I had taken longer, in 2013 from Lourdes to SDC in 33 in 2016 way too fast to really enjoy it I hope to walk the Camino del Norte in 40 days even if I have to take a day off every other day :)

Zzotte

In 2014 I walked from SJPP to Santiago in 29 days then 5 days walking to Finisterre and Muxia. Last year I took 39 days from SJPP to Santiago to allow more time to see things along the way, then 9 days walking to Finisterre, Muxia and finally walking back to Santiago.

This year I will be taking 33 days from SJPP to Santiago before spending 10 days to Muxia, Finisterre and back to Santiago.

I don't take rest days, just the odd short day. I am now 68 and an average of 24kms/15 miles per day is quite easy for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe I missed it but I'm not sure anyone covered this angle: my wife and I walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 32 days including a very short first and last day. We walked every day and we were reasonably fit in our mid-fifties. We had no expectations about the walk and plenty of time on our hands.

After the first day we realised that - for us - that "stoping to smell the roses" meant enjoying the company of the people we met along the way. We never walked more than one full day in a row "with" someone else but we met people who we greatly enjoyed spending a few hours walking with and then several days of sharing meals and daily chores with them. It wasn't your typical Camino family but there were dozens of people in the looser family that we saw off and on who were roughly on a similar pace. We found that we wanted our speed to be close to these people. In a sense, we probably walked a few days quicker than we would otherwise have in order to smell OUR roses!

I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 33 days, with a short start day staying in Orisson. I had some 30+ days and a few short days of 18 or 20 but no rest days. I had a sore knee for a few days after a few challenging descents but no injuries. I met lots of really fit people with tendonitis and you can never be sure when/ if it's going to happen to you. I didn't feel like stopping so just kept walking. I think that I would take more days next time, perhaps not to stop but to spend more time going to Finisterre and Muxia. And to shorten a few of the longer days!

30 to 33 more than enough. I don't do rest days but maybe 2 or 3 short days. Average 25km gets you Santiago in 33 days. I no spring chicken but healthy and keep back pack to 6kg. Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

HI, I invested 31 days. I think is enough. I went into churches and stopped where landscape called me but didn't smell roses

You might be older but that just makes you tougher. I've been walking my kids and now my grand kids into the ground for over 40 years and at 66 I still can.

In 2014 I walked from Porto, Portugal to Santiago. I took 14 days to get to Santiago. I took it easy the first week then rapidly increased my distance covering almost 30 kilometers a day and felt very strong.

Walk into your camino. Stop when you are tired. Gradually increase your distance. Listen to what your body is trying to tell you.

I have 45 days, there and back. 4 days for air and train travel leaves 41 days. I'm hoping to walk the french way in 35 days, leaving me time to get to and walk the Camino Del Ray in southern Spain. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
44 days, no rest days but several very short ones ie ~7kms. We're journey walkers so always take our time if we can. You mention that you're a chocolate fan - here's a store for you to restock at in Astorga.

View attachment 23206
I would like to walk (my first Camino) in around 44 days also. Can you recommend any places to stop? The Brierly is based upon walking for 33 days but I want to be walking maximum of 20 kilometres a day!

Yvonne Anderson,

I, like you, always enjoy going slowly. Perhaps you would find my Camino Gazetteer blog showing stops across the CF during the past ten years to be useful for planning. As you read do remember the old fable of the tortoise and the hare!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I would like to walk (my first Camino) in around 44 days also. Can you recommend any places to stop? The Brierly is based upon walking for 33 days but I want to be walking maximum of 20 kilometres a day!

Hi Yvonne
Here's a snapshot (just click on the thumbnail image) of my picture files that show you where we stopped each of the 44 nights. Some were planned, others not. We did walk a few >20kms days but also some 7kms ones. We had a short day after Leon so that we didn't have to leave until after lunchtime.

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 18.15.22.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yvonne Anderson,

I, like you, always enjoy going slowly. Perhaps you would find my Camino Gazetteer blog showing stops across the CF during the past ten years to be useful for planning. As you read do remember the old fable of the tortoise and the hare!

Good luck and Buen camino!
Margaret, what a 'treat'. I will take my time and savour this reading. What a gift you are to this forum. I hope to return Spring 2017. Still dithering about which route. I absolutely loved Sept/Oct, but now would like the experience of Spring. I know, one must mind what they ask for, be it rain or sunshine. Maggie

Very good read! 32 from SJPDP to Santiago + 3 to finnesterre. Hard to say for the next one as there seem to be many variables along the way.

I started from StJPdP Sept 26 and walked into Santiago Oct 30th. Because I came down with bronchitis five days into my walk, (which last the whole journey) I did 3 overnights enroute, both to rest and seek medical assistance. And because Nov 2 was my birthday, I spent 3 nights in Santiago. Best birthday ever!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will share my planning process, even though I am doing it by bicycle. First, I found typical ranges for the time it takes bike riders to do the CF.

Then I looked at climate data and found the number of typical days with measurable rainfall in the month I will doing my Camino in each of the major cities along the route. What I found for May is about 1/3 of the days will have measurable rain.

Then I looked at my training activity records in training for two Seattle To Portland bike ride and in training for various half marathons. In particular, I examined how many rest days or "light workout days" I needed per week to stay healthy in a rigorous week after week training schedule. I really do need 2 to 3 rest/recovery days per week at my age to not end up with an "over-use" injury. 2 to 3 divided by 7 is about one third give or take a little. Even the most aggressive marathon training schedules recommend at least one day off a week and some light exercise days.

So my conclusion was that I would have enough flexibility in my schedule so that about one third of the days can be taken off for bad weather or because my body needs some extra time to recover. I can also use that time for tourism if I find something I especially want to see. I even added a few more, because I really do have some things I want to see and I want to make sure I get over jet-lag before I start.

I realize that many don't have the extra time to spare, but you can always change your starting point to provide you with a few more flex days.

Doing the Camino should not be an endurance event, but you can use a lot of lessons learned from endurance events in planning a Camino. That way you can keep the pressure down to make it to a certain town by a certain date to make that flight home.

I would like to contribute a different perspective to this conversation. I gave myself lots of time to walk my camino last fall. Being 67 at the time and in only moderate shape, I did not want to risk having to push myself or not being able to walk all the way. I got to Santiago in 49 days, from Sept. 30 to Nov. 17. I took six days off on the way, two lots of three days. And I slowed down as much as I could during the last week or so, when I was naturally moving at a faster pace comfortably. But there I was in Santiago and my flight home from Madrid wasn't until Nov. 30. I was actually bored with Santiago after spending six days there and still had another six days to put in in Muxia and Finisterre before going home. And hotels can be expensive.
Don't give yourself too much time, or you may regret it. If you are in fair shape and you want to be on the trail for two months, consider giving yourself a longer route for the same time. This year, I shall be starting at Oleron Ste Marie on the Camino d'Arles in France, walking through Somport Pass to the Camino Aragones then on Puenta la Reina to join the Frances and so on to Santiago. Of course, the opposite is also true. You have your own pace and perhaps a certain amount of time to do your camino. Consider how far you can walk comfortably in the time that you have and start that distance from Santiago. You have to respect your body if you are going to walk day after day. (Just my perspective).

If you know your "average km comfort zone" (considering the season -a lot depends on weather), just divide by the distance, add the days you' d ideally rest in some interesting cities, plus one "just in case" day, and you are basically set.
Btw...the only time I took a day of rest (I had had a bad day and was feeling downhearted...) I regretted it. I was restless, did not appreciate the nice village or interesting museums -just wanted to be in the Camino again. But this is me...

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like spursfan, I did the Camino Frances in 20 days, due to time constraints, and as an athletic Camino. I too, just like walking and have a good pace, from years of experience. And, I was 56 last summer. However, WHEN I do a Camino again, I will explore more, stick my head--and the rest of me--into churches more often, I will go to Samos, I'll venture into museums, and go off the beaten path, go to that village not on the Camino-but in view-to experience real rural Spain. Oh, so many things to see, so many roses to smell, so much cafe con leche to drink, so many people to chat with and enjoy their company. Enjoy your Camino.

I'm impressed at your level of fitness and stamina! :) And appreciate you had time constraints.

Did you find that you couldn't really bond much with fellow Pilgrims? I'm sure you had some great one-off encounters, dinners etc, but surely walking at that speed you would be moving ahead of people all the time. Never to be seen again? :oops:

I found, that the chance to get to know other people from such varied backgrounds over te course of days and often weeks was one of the really rewarding parts of the Camino.

You'll find your own pace Yvonne. Don't try to over plan :)

In the first few days you'll work out what is comfortable for you. I stayed in some great places 'between' stages, but these were just based on where I was at the time, how far I felt liker walking the next day, the state of my feet......... There are lots of variables...

With access to a good guide book, you be able to work out your stops 'as you go'.

I carried the Brierley guide scanned onto my phone, along with Miam Miam Dodo, which actually has more information about accommodation options. One of the things I enjoyed at the end of the day, apart from having dinner and too much wine with other Pilgrims, was just lying on my bed working out where I would walk over the next couple of days....

I wonder why everybody is talking about smelling the roses...:) Actually, the only ones that I have seen were in private gardens. But there are dandeleons, primula, lavender and heather,and many more wild flowers.
It is a pleasure to walk in the Camino just after winter, when Nature is awakening and you can feel the Spring in the air.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back