A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Average Donation Cost on Via Francigena

Parksville

Camino(s) past & future
Tui to Santiago (2011), SJPP to Najera (2016) Najera to Finisterre (2017), Lucca to Rome (June 2019)
What donation range would you suggest for basic pilgrim lodging on the Tuscany section of the Via Francigena?

Stroller

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2015), Frances (2016)
As a minimum what you paid for commercial accommodation last night or what you expect to pay for commercial accommodation tomorrow. The overheads of running donatives are much the same as for other accommodation and additionally some people using them may not be able to pay the full cost. Donativos tend to be charities supported by donation.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
@Stroller I like and agree with your reply - but as someone who was watching this thread to get an idea about costs BEFORE embarking on that route, I'll now ask: how much does commercial accommodation tend to be on the VF?

Stroller

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2015), Frances (2016)
The latest data I have suggests, 10 to 15 Euro for a convent, a hostel about 25 to 30 Euro, cheap hotels up to about 45 Euro, and after that the sky's the limit. These prices are for a bed and a few year old but someone will be along soon to correct me if they are wildly out. Hope that helps.

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Up-to-date accommodation lists with prices for the Swiss and Italian VF have been posted in this thread:

In the list for Italy recommended accommodations are priced from €10 to €30.
(Some with breakfast).

With that as a reference, my donation for a bed in a shared dormitory and a hot shower would be at least €10.
I'd pay more for a place that offered more than these basics (e.g. a towel, sheets, breakfast, washing machine, wifi, helpful hospitalero, etc).

When I see no choice, I sometimes end up paying €45+ for a hotel room. I don't begrudge those hotels their rates. They're in business to make a profit and (in general) they offer comforts that justify their prices - even though I might not want them. The fact is, I simply couldn't make the journey if that was the appropriate donation at a donativo.

Harington

Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
@Stroller I like and agree with your reply - but as someone who was watching this thread to get an idea about costs BEFORE embarking on that route, I'll now ask: how much does commercial accommodation tend to be on the VF?
Tuscany is of course prime tourist-land. It all depends whether the ostello provides breakfast, or supper, or good kitchen facilities. Three years ago €20-25.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock