• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Average length of journeys . . .

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi all,

Presently in Logrono, having walked about 160km from St Jean. Left Monday 17th, arrived here yesterday. Very happy with progress made so far.

I'm just wondering could people give an estimated breakdown of the average time span that it takes to get from:

Logrono - Burgos
Burgos - Leon
Leon - Sarria
Sarria - Santiago

I'm trying to give myself some estimation in arriving to Santiago, ideally getting there before the madness and rush of St James's Day on July 25th!

Would love to fit in a walk to Finisterre and Muxia before I head home.

Buen Camino! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Average length of journeys . . .

Hola irishmancamino!

I'm quite fast walker, but very easy going on the other hand. On my Camino I've had beautiful weather most of the time (late May & June) so I made long stops and enjoyed scenery, solitude and sometimes even company. My stretches were like this:
- Logrono - Burgos: 124km in 7 days which is (only) 17,7km/day, but I think if second time I would walk it in 5 days,
- Burgos - Leon: 181,7km in 8 days at average 22,7km/day. I would allow myself one day less next time. But just maybe, because I looove Meseta.
- Burgos - SdC (I didn't stop in Sarria): 315,5km in 14 days, which is 22,5km/day. Most possible I would walk two days faster next time.

If you walk at average of app.25km/day that'll be 24 days. And if you add 3 non-walking days in Burgos, Leon and Sarria (which is very reasonable) that's 27 days. At this pace you'll reach SdC before 25th of July easily.

Hope that will helps.

Ultreia!

Hi Irishmancamino,

I walked from Logrono to Burgos recently in 5 days without any difficulty.
Last year we walked from St Jean to Logrono in 6 days
Next year we intend walking from Burgos to Leon in 8 days.
A couple of years ago I walked from Astorga to Sarria in 6 days. If you add on 3 days to walk from Leon to Astorga i.e. 9 days in total to Sarria.
Then it is 5/6 days from Sarria to SdeComp.
That is about 27/28 days from Logrono to SdeComp.

We carried our rucksacks, about 6/7 kgs. excl water.

I am the wrong side of 60.

I hope the above helps,

Buen Camino
Irishwalker

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

If you walk 20km per day you finish in Santiago AFTER St James day is over.

July 25? Thousands of tourists and few real pilgrims, hundreds of tour buses filled with tourigrinos, milling crowds in constant movement great noise and racket, distraught priests trying to shush shush the thundering masses, hundreds using cell phone to report to others far from the scene, cameras flashing, no room in the inn or to eat-sounds like DisneyWorld? It is. Do try to arrive to witness the whole show but if you want a real Pilgrims Mass come the day before or the day after. The most moving mass I ever witnessed was in Santiago on a cold wet Spring day, the worst I ever witnessed was also in Santiago due to the events mentioned above.

Thanks everyone for your replies, just outside Santo Domingo at the moment . . . Yes, Scruffy1, that's a situation that I would love to avoid at all costs! I would like the Pilgrim's Mass to be relatively peaceful, not a whirlwind of hustle and bustle! :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I don't think you will find a relatively peaceful Pilgrim's Mass in the summer! With 1,000-2,500 pilgrims daily, the number of non-pilgrims will be three times that, so it is always respectfully crammed.

There are other masses during the day that will be relatively peaceful, and may have the botafumeiro. I have seen it three times in one day, and once at a special mass at 2100. However, the Pilgrim's Mass has been relatively peaceful only in April and November.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.