Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Avoid mistakes in São Pedro de Rates

edumad

Past OR future Camino
Português '12 '14 (Rates), '18 (Ponte de Lima)
Interior '15 (Vila Real)
Francês '16 (Ponferrada).
I have today heard of yet another couple of pilgrims taking the wrong turn in São Pedro de Rates.

Following the central route of the Portuguese you get to the center of S. P. Rates, near the church via an old train track now converted to eco route.

You must turn and go alongside the church to keep following the central route.

There are yellow arrows pointing you forward taking you along a section which converges with the coastal route in Fão, south of the river from Esposende. Don't end up on the shore of the river Cávado but 12km away :eek:

Please see this map for clarification:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3r9TaIa1zcI.k36ZvC82Kwh8

It is not complicated to navigate, but unless you are curious to go see the church it is natural to keep going ahead, and you are soon reassured by the yellow arrows.

BTW, I urge all to take their time and check the church and stop at the albergue to get their cool stamp.

Bom caminho!

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Trekster

I was totally engrossed in conversation with my Dutch walking buddy last year, and before we knew it, the yellow arrows had taken us to the sea. Needles to say, we were some of the later arrivals at the albergue.

amancio

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
wow, excellent map! looking back, I wish I had gone up the coast and then turned inland towards Rates, the bit from Vila do Conde to Rates is mostly dangerous with so much traffic and cobblestones

edumad

Past OR future Camino
Interior '15 (Vila Real)
I have done the connecting section of camino from Vila do Conde to Rates and indeed it is not nice.
It would have been preferable to have pilgrims exit out of Povoa do Varzim and inland to Rates, I'm sure there are better options there.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Past OR future Camino
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
If you come from direction Vila do Conde and Vilarinho (both routes come together about 4 kms before Rates as soon as you see a big transportcompany with warehouses at the left side,cross the main road and keep on going straight on
After 2 kms,following the yellow waymarkers, you come at the mini supermercado and the church oposite the albergue of Rates.
We walked there last week.

Last edited:
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

edumad

Past OR future Camino
Interior '15 (Vila Real)
I passed by Rates while biking and snaped these. Hard to see, but there is an arrow and scallop pointing you ahead, and an arrow (on the electricity pole) indicating the cobbled road to right.
Fortunately there is a very clear Caminho de Santiago plaque pointing you right.
rates.jpg

The plaque near the tree with clear and useful information unfortunately is in this condition.
IMG_20150507_175658.jpg
Albergues information still visible.

Last edited:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg