• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Avoiding Covid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
[Moderator note: some posts were moved from another thread]
I am following your progress with interest, as I plan on walking much of it in the fall, including the Vasco Interior, the Invierno, and the Frances between. It is only a couple of years since I walked the Invierno, but there seem to have been so many changes, particularly in accommodation. I have purchased a copy of Brierley's guide to the Invierno, but many of the changes which I have heard of seem to have been more recent. I suspect that I shall be able to find my way, but am more uncertain about accommodation, particularly as I shall be going through rather late in the fall. My main concern at the moment is getting covid, which appears to be common on pilgrim routes and unavoidable. I may stay in private accommodation as much as possible, but at present I cannot see how one can avoid covid on the pilgrim routes in Spain. I hope that the two of you are recovering well and enjoying your walk on the Invierno.

@Albertagirl it is not a fait accompli that you will get Covid next Camino!
Many, many of us did not get Covid on our Caminos in 2021 &2022. Why? We stayed in private accommodations. We always wore good masks,such as N95s or KN95s indoors. We talked with others along the way, but kept circa 12’ distance. We ate outside as much as possible. Whenever we ate lunch indoors, we tried to eat as soon as lunch was served to miss the crowds. In addition, take a train, rather than a bus. If you can go comfort class, reserve a single seat. Wear Masks on planes leaving and returning to Canada.

We are walking again at the end of September and we will take precautions again.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many, many of us did not get Covid on our Caminos in 2021 &2022. Why? We stayed in private accommodations. We always wore good masks,such as N95s or KN95s indoors. We talked with others along the way, but kept circa 12’ distance. We ate outside as much as possible. Whenever we ate lunch indoors, we tried to eat as soon as lunch was served to miss the crowds. In addition, take a train, rather than a bus. If you can go comfort class, reserve a single seat. Wear Masks on planes leaving and returning to Canada.

We are walking again at the end of September and we will take precautions again.
I walked a camino in 2021, the Levante. There was hardly anyone else on it and I always had a private room. This fall, I was attracted to the Podiensis and bought my air ticket to Lyon. I have since learned that most of the accommodation is in communal gites, and shared dorms are often the only bedrooms available. The meals are at a common table, indoors. I have my masks, I have had two booster shots, but I cannot see how to avoid covid with friendly diners on both sides of me, and across from me, at meals. I suppose I might take a train south before I begin my camino, and that may be what I decide to do. I cannot understand why I have seen and heard nothing about covid on that route. Pilgrims have walked it all the way from Le Puy to Santiago (seen on youtube) without getting sick. Maybe it's just that the ones who did don't post on this forum. But I cannot be confident to avoid sickness in such conditions.

I walked a camino in 2021, the Levante. There was hardly anyone else on it and I always had a private room. This fall, I was attracted to the Podiensis and bought my air ticket to Lyon. I have since learned that most of the accommodation is in communal gites, and shared dorms are often the only bedrooms available. The meals are at a common table, indoors. I have my masks, I have had two booster shots, but I cannot see how to avoid covid with friendly diners on both sides of me, and across from me, at meals. I suppose I might take a train south before I begin my camino, and that may be what I decide to do. I cannot understand why I have seen and heard nothing about covid on that route. Pilgrims have walked it all the way from Le Puy to Santiago (seen on youtube) without getting sick. Maybe it's just that the ones who did don't post on this forum. But I cannot be confident to avoid sickness in such conditions.
Although there are many dorm-type gites, I always managed to get a private room, except in Le Sauvage and I think that's possible there now. There's not much you can do about friendly diners other than eat alone, which rather detracts from the experience! Courage!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Although there are many dorm-type gites, I always managed to get a private room, except in Le Sauvage and I think that's possible there now. There's not much you can do about friendly diners other than eat alone, which rather detracts from the experience! Courage!
Well, the other problem with communal eating for me is that I am a vegetarian. If you have the time, information about where you stayed and how you booked could be very helpful.

It’s absolutely far from certain you will catch covid. Did 2 caminos in 2020 and 1 in 2021. Last two years been travelling non stop, mainly in dorms. Masks only worn where legally required to, or where surrounded by older or vulnerable folks, and have hugged, kissed, shaken hands with hundreds of people but no covid to my knowledge.Even if you get it, assume you are vaccinated. The vaccine works. Check the stats!

Sadly the last couple of days have shown us that sadly folks get ill on Camino for many different reasons.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe because the majority of the walkers are French and aren't a member? That said, I am a member of a Via Podiensis Facebook group and haven't read about incidents.

My experience last September from le Puy is that private rooms are an exception and since demi-pension rules, if you want to eat it will be at the same table as fellow walkers. Some gîte holders will not even accept a reservation (yes needed) if you don't plan on eating too which I found unfortunate.

Last June I walked the Salvador and Primitivo and where possible stayed in albergues with communal meals. I just did my best to be careful but there were few pilgrims at the time and the 50% capacity rule was still in place. No infection.

Last February here in The Netherlands I caught a mild case of Covid although vaxed and boostered so go figure.

I'm off again to Spain next week and again plan to stay in albergues. There will for sure be many more pilgrims this year. I guess I just don't let it worry me. I'm now on my second week of a bad cold and had only 2 days a runny nose with Covid! Of course everyone has another level of comfort. In the end I believe you can't avoid becoming infected unless you never come in contact with anyone.

IMO, some people who did not have to test before returning home may have had a mild case of Covid but it went unreported because they were unaware they had it,or had only slight symptoms which did not stop them from walking. On the other hand some folks reported having Covid only when they went to get a Covid test before flying back to the USA or another country requiring the test.

Has anyone heard anything about a 3rd booster this Fall? https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20220405/third-covid-booster-may-be-needed#:~:text=CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, MD,newly eligible for a second.

My husband and I did the same thing: wore masks indoors and ate outside and thank God we stayed well on our Camino. We will walk again this fall on the Camino Frances!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have started looking into accommodation on the Podiensis and have found on Gronze a couple of locations in Saint-Privat-d'Allier which provide a small number of single rooms for walkers and also cooking facilities. Prices seem reasonable to me and cooking facilities are pretty much essential for me as a vegetarian. Having none, or only one, other guest seems to me to be an excellent way to avoid infection. I am considering contacting both gites and seeing if I can get a reservation in either for my first night on the trail. I don't think I can do so until I land in Lyon and get a French sim card. However, I may find email addresses elsewhere or perhaps they are on WhatsApp. I am less than competent with the many newer contact possibilities. Necessity is still the mother of invention, or at least, of a willingness to learn.

I do not believe staying in private rooms keeps you safe from Covid.
I stayed in dormitories and private places and shared "pods" throughout the Covid crisis, and I did not contract Covid in any of them.
When I did catch it, I am pretty sure it came from a nice restaurant in Santiago de Compostela.
When your number is up, you got it. No matter where you sleep.

I stayed in dormitories and private places and shared "pods" throughout the Covid crisis, and I did not contract Covid in any of them.
When I did catch it, I am pretty sure it came from a nice restaurant in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, maybe.
When I served as a hospitalera at Najera, I spent my days in close contact with pilgrims, but did not catch Covid. Not one person who stayed with us ever coughed or showed any other symptoms. But I shall be in close contact with many people over the length of my nearly three months on caminos this fall, and I should prefer to remain healthy, if possible. And, as I said above, any accommodation which allows me to cook will be preferable for me as a vegetarian.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

My friend and I just completed the Portuguese Camino from Porto. We stayed in small hotels, separate rooms, wore KN95 masks at all times when inside restaurants or crowded outdoor area. She got covid, I did not, not sure where she got it but Covid is out there. She was fine, just sinus and cough issues. People just go on hiking in spite of having covid. Not sure what the answer is on how to avoid it! I was lucky or ?????

My experience last September from le Puy is that private rooms are an exception and since demi-pension rules, if you want to eat it will be at the same table as fellow walkers. Some gîte holders will not even accept a reservation (yes needed) if you don't plan on eating too which I found unfortunate.
I loved the demi-pension on the Le Puy, and the food at dinner was exceptional. Often meals were provided by the hosts because there were no towns or restaurants nearby as options. I thought it very convenient and I appreciated it.

After some thought, I recognize that there are, and always have been, hazards to camino walking. In some cases, care and thought can minimize them. But it is probably not possible to avoid them entirely. If I am called to camino, I shall do what I can to stay safe and healthy. But there is no way to entirely avoid risk. I shall try to walk in faith: "Ultreia!"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This year, the only one person I knew who got Covid on the Camino (francés) was staying in private accommodation and because of other health problems was keeping well clear of people 😳 You’re right, when your number is up….

IMO, some people who did not have to test before returning home may have had a mild case of Covid but it went unreported because they were unaware they had it,or had only slight symptoms which did not stop them from walking. On the other hand some folks reported having Covid only when they went to get a Covid test before flying back to the USA or another country requiring the test.

Has anyone heard anything about a 3rd booster this Fall? https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20220405/third-covid-booster-may-be-needed#:~:text=CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, MD,newly eligible for a second.
Marbe2,
There is a fair bit of evidence that the flu vaccine may provide some cross-over protection with Covid. Typically the yearly updated version becomes available in August/September - something to consider if a 3rd Covid booster doesn't become available. My doctor also recommended the Prevnar pneumococcal vaccine which can offer some protection with Covid respiratory issues.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-protection-against-COVID-19-study-shows.aspx

Well, maybe.
When I served as a hospitalera at Najera, I spent my days in close contact with pilgrims, but did not catch Covid. Not one person who stayed with us ever coughed or showed any other symptoms. But I shall be in close contact with many people over the length of my nearly three months on caminos this fall, and I should prefer to remain healthy, if possible. And, as I said above, any accommodation which allows me to cook will be preferable for me as a vegetarian.
You will need to look hard and ask beforehand if you plan to walk from Le Puy. Do not assume there is a kitchen for communal use, especially in the private gîtes which make up the majority of accommodations.

As I said above, the majority of walkers use the demi-pension service. This is easier for a vegetarian (I'm vegan) but still ask when reserving with meals. Not everyone will make an exception (which I don't expect) but better to know beforehand. I called myself to clarify the situation so speaking French really helped during the process.

Not trying to disappoint. Doing the Via Podiensis is just very different from walking in Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Respectfully, science indicates that distancing and wearing good masks help mitigate humans from getting or transmitting the disease. I am sure there are people who slept in private rooms who got covid, but more than likely it wasn't transmitted in their room. And I know of pilgrims who stayed in albergues who did not contract it.

There are, of course, factors beyond our control, but consistently following CDC or WHO recommendations are likely the best way to avoid or receive a heavy load of the omicron.

You will need to look hard and ask beforehand if you plan to walk from Le Puy. Do not assume there is a kitchen for communal use, especially in the private gîtes which make up the majority of accommodations.

As I said above, the majority of walkers use the demi-pension service. This is easier for a vegetarian (I'm vegan) but still ask when reserving with meals. Not everyone will make an exception (which I don't expect) but better to know beforehand. I called myself to clarify the situation so speaking French really helped during the process.

Not trying to disappoint. Doing the Via Podiensis is just very different from walking in Spain.
I am aware of these particular challenges. No doubt there will be others. I have been reviewing my French by watching a series of videos on youtube which take a French pilgrim from Le Puy to Santiago. Somewhat to my surprise, I have very little problem with understanding his French. To learn French was the first academic project of my life. But my language skills are, alas, fading in my senior years. Maybe using it in France will help this, as walking for many weeks will help my bodily strength. But I don't expect it to be easy.

Me too. Did the same in 2021 and will do the same this September oln the Invierno.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Respectfully, science indicates that distancing and wearing good masks help mitigate humans from getting or transmitting the disease. I am sure there are people who slept in private rooms who got covid, but more than likely it wasn't transmitted in their room. And I know of pilgrims who stayed in albergues who did not contract it.

There are, of course, factors beyond our control, but consistently following CDC or WHO recommendations are likely the best way to avoid or receive a heavy load of the omicron.
I have continued to think about this. I can walk in faith but also take sensible precautions. Today I watched a new video by Dr. Poland from the Mayo Clinic, a virologist and vaccine specialist. His recommendation was basically to continue to follow sensible precautions, particularly masking and distancing . I shall try to do so, sleeping in single rooms when possible, wearing my mask, and keeping my distance when I can. Cooking for myself is desirable, given my vegetarian diet. These precautions may not be possible everywhere, I shall try to behave sensibly and to do what I can to stay healthy. And I shall walk in faith, accepting what comes.

I have continued to think about this. I can walk in faith but also take sensible precautions. Today I watched a new video by Dr. Poland from the Mayo Clinic, a virologist and vaccine specialist. His recommendation was basically to continue to follow sensible precautions, particularly masking and distancing
Very sensible. Can you post the video site you referenced?

People should just try move on and stop living in fear. Just look at the stats for covid deaths, something like 95% of deaths in Portugal were over 75 with co-morbidities.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
People should just try move on and stop living in fear. Just look at the stats for covid deaths, something like 95% of deaths in Portugal were over 75 with co-morbidities.

Some of us walking ARE or are approaching 75 years of age and probably have at least one comorbidity by then, so I am sure you can understand our interest in sensible precautions!

Some of us walking ARE or are approaching 75 years of age and probably have at least one comorbidity by then, so I am sure you can understand our interest in sensible precautions!
I think everyone is entitled to take the level of precautions that feel to be right for them, it effects no one else! People debate how much extra protection some measures provide ( I have no idea) but at the very least it provides folks with the reassurance that they are doing ‘all they can! And aren’t being reckless.

Abd people are moving on. Many folks on here who talk alot about covid probably wouldn’t have considered international travel two years ago, or even last year, but now they are abd that’s quite a good level of ‘moving on’!

Fair enough, but the risks are still minimal. If you are walking a camino then clearly you are in pretty good health anyway.

I think everyone is entitled to take the level of precautions that feel to be right for them, it effects no one else! People debate how much extra protection some measures provide ( I have no idea) but at the very least it provides folks with the reassurance that they are doing ‘all they can! And aren’t being reckless.

Abd people are moving on. Many folks on here who talk alot about covid probably wouldn’t have considered international travel two years ago, or even last year, but now they are abd that’s quite a good level of ‘moving on’!

Sadly people are not moving on with their lives. Mainstream media seems determined to keep everyone in fear and there is always another crisis waiting to replace the last one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fair enough, but the risks are still minimal. If you are walking a camino then clearly you are in pretty good health anyway.

Sadly people are not moving on with their lives. Mainstream media seems determined to keep everyone in fear and there is always another crisis waiting to replace the last one.

Going to have to disagree. Many folks on here wouldn’t have considered international travel even a year ago. In fact I was criticised for travelling internationally on here. Now it’s deemed ok by most to travel internationally, and some people focus their criticism on folks who don’t wear masks! Thats a fair shift!

But I agree with your broader points about fearmongering and if are healthy enough to walk a Camino you are likely to be fine with covid.

Going to have to disagree. Many folks on here wouldn’t have considered international travel even a year ago. In fact I was criticised for travelling internationally on here. Now it’s deemed ok by most to travel internationally, and some people focus their criticism on folks who don’t wear masks! Thats a fair shift!

But I agree with your broader points about fearmongering and if are healthy enough to walk a Camino you are likely to be fine with covid.

Many people were travelling last year. I witnessed this myself and was at very busy airports and resorts. What is happening on the ground is often the opposite to what the CNNs and BBCs of the world report, but they no longer report the truth unless it fits their narrative.

Maybe the veteran Camino walkers like those in this forum are more cautious. That's fine, but as a society we need to move on from this eventually. The long term damage this continual circle of fear is going to do will dwarf anything from the last two years.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many people were travelling last year. I witnessed this myself and was at very busy airports and resorts. What is happening on the ground is often the opposite to what the CNNs and BBCs of the world report, but they no longer report the truth unless it fits their narrative.

Maybe the veteran Camino walkers like those in this forum are more cautious. That's fine, but as a society we need to move on from this eventually. The long term damage this continual circle of fear is going to do will dwarf anything from the last two years.
Yes I agree with pretty much all of that though airline travel last year was still much down on 2019. I’m lucky that covid has never really bothered me (even though I suffer from heightened health anxiety issues, so I am sympathetic to those that live in fear of it). I have a friend who has barely left the house for two years and he is the last person you would expect that of.I have been nomadic last two years and just been travelling round world so have avoided most of the restrictions.

Your point re long term damaged is interesting. Many countries seems to have bounced back quick than I expected but am currently in Santiago, Chile which has had very heavy restrictions! I used to like this city but it feels like it has gone hugely downhill! Opinions vary as to whether that is driven by covid restrictions! I don’t know!

I guess I mean the long term mental damage from the cycle of fear.

I see people walking around still looking terrified after two and a bit years. I am not suggesting it's all over but there is way too much focus on the virus and not enough on people's well being and mental health.

I just hope people come to their senses.
Totally agree with para 1 and 2. Understand your point re para 3 though May phrase it differently.

Think there is some initial research suggesting initial short term mental health is not as bad as expected, but that’s just one piece of research and of course we await more research and research on longer term impacts.

Also conscious that if you are from from the UK today marks the 11 month anniversary of freedom day when we largely got back to normal! Other countries have plotted a different path!

Anyway the mods will be getting twitchy so maybe we have digressed too far from non Camino chat!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.