• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Avoiding Cruz de Ferro

pvh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 hopefully
We had to curtail our camino in Leon in 2018 and owing to a ruptured achilles and then Covid, this summer will be our first chance to complete it.

However, I still have to manage my achilles and steep uneven descents are a risk, so we thought we'd just skip Cruz de Ferro.

Is there lower walking route around or a bus for example between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca or would that be a taxi or would it just be easier to just get the train from Astorga to Ponferrada?

I know many think of Cruz de Ferro as a highlight but I'd rather still be able to walk on to the end.

Many thanks in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would be very interested to know of one too, but I highly doubt that one exists. The Camino as we know it today is one of the few straightforward routes over the mountain. If you look at the road (that the bus takes) from Astorga to Ponferrada you will see that it goes completely around the mountain.

If a lower trail exists, I imagine it would be very long indeed.

I worry that if the climb up and down to the Cruz is difficult, you will likewise find the climb to O Cebreiro and he subsequent descent into Triacastela to be equally challenging. Apart from walking a completely different route from Ponferrada (the Camino de Invierno) your best bet might be to budget yourself several more days to spread out the difficult stretches into shorter stages.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would be very interested to know of one too, but I highly doubt that one exists
Here it is:
It lacks the infrastructure of the contemporary Camino Francés and it is surprisingly unknown despite its importance as a former major passageway for pilgrims. However, I don’t think that it is suitable for the OP who won’t be the only pilgrim to use a taxi service from Molinaseca.

We had to curtail our camino in Leon in 2018 and owing to a ruptured achilles and then Covid, this summer will be our first chance to complete it.

However, I still have to manage my achilles and steep uneven descents are a risk, so we thought we'd just skip Cruz de Ferro.

Is there lower walking route around or a bus for example between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca or would that be a taxi or would it just be easier to just get the train from Astorga to Ponferrada?

I know many think of Cruz de Ferro as a highlight but I'd rather still be able to walk on to the end.

Many thanks in advance.
You can walk the road all the way - the LE 142. It is much longer because it winds backwards and forwards, but at least you don't get the uneven rocky path. I took it one year from the Cruz to El Acebo because I was feeling a bit shaky that day. If you do take it, wear bright clothes and be aware that sections of the road are quite narrow and cars may not be expecting any walkers. Many bike riders though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have descended from Cruz de Ferro using both options, the trail and the road.
If you currently are nursing an achilles injury neither downhill option is really a better alternative. The road has several hair pin turns and one is constantly braking. Not ideal for an achilles injury! IMO your decision to opt out of this section with such an injury is prudent!

Here arethe options I am aware of

1). Arrange ground transportation
Walk as far as Rabanal del Camino, Foncebadon, or Cruz de Ferro.
When in Rabanal or Foncebadon ask the proprietor to call for a taxi, to be picked up at one of these locations at a specific time. Sometimes taxis in this area are very busy so you may have to wait a while for a pickup.

Prearrange a ride with a company, such as Caminofacil. They are a bit more expensive but you can usually get picked up at your desired time.

2). Public transport
Take the bus (alsa.com,) from Astorga to Ponferrada. Currently cos €5.70 and has numerous buses departing daily. Buy your ticket online.

Take the train (renfe.com). trains service limited.

RE: walking to Triacastela
after climb to Ocebriero (overnight) . Next day do a shorter walh to Albergue Riboleira in Fonfria. Overnight there. There are two morning buses. One quite early, that stops on the main road in front of the Albergue which can transport you down to Triacastela. The second bus stops around 10am. Suggest you skip the downhill there as well.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Many thanks in advance.
We walked just past Cruz de Ferro to the little colourful stop run by the individual last Knights Templar (??) who then called us a taxi. The taxi also brought up some grocery supplies for him so that suited all of us. It was pleasant waiting for the taxi and not too long, we took it to Ponferrada.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And remember to make sure your footwear is suitable the walk. This current "obsession" with zero drop shoes (example Altras) is leaving many , especially older walkers with some major archilles problems.
Hi kiwicat, I would be interested in seeing the evidence for your assertion re achilles problems in older walkers. I am an "older walker" who tried Merrells and Salomons on my first two Caminos before discovering Altra Lone Peaks and wearing them with great success on all subsequent Caminos. As discussed at length in other forum threads, zero drop shoes are not for everyone so some testing, or medical consultation, could be required before switching from conventional shoes. There are other benefits to the Altras as well, e.g. the wide toe box. As always, each to their own. Buen camino. 🚶‍♂️

Many thanks in advance.
Bus from Astorga to Ponferada

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Many thanks in advance.
Please don’t skid Crux de Ferro! It’s the highlight of the Camino. Just get a taxi down to Molinaseca at the bottom.

Many thanks in advance.
Take a bus to Triacastella as you avoid O'Cebreiro (which is one of the steepest climbs over the shortest distance on the Camino) and walk to Sarria (big enough town where you can find medical assistance if need be). You might want to try using wide medical tape to tape up the foot area - unsure if this will help you but it worked for me. I recommend that you purchase some walking sticks as this can take up to 20% of the strain on the foot. Also, use the backpack forwarding service to keep the extra weight off and walk slowly, at your pace.

Last edited:
And remember to make sure your footwear is suitable the walk. This current "obsession" with zero drop shoes (example Altras) is leaving many , especially older walkers with some major archilles problems.
Hey, newbie here, 57 years old, am doing Frances in September and planned on altras bc they fit my feet so well with wide toe box. Do you have a lot of experience hiking and if so do you think it’s doable to adapt to zero drop before I leave? I have plenty of time to train

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Many thanks in advance.
The closest bus route I could find for this same issue just a few days ago is the Alsa from Astorga to Ponferrada

I would be very interested to know of one too, but I highly doubt that one exists. The Camino as we know it today is one of the few straightforward routes over the mountain. If you look at the road (that the bus takes) from Astorga to Ponferrada you will see that it goes completely around the mountain.

If a lower trail exists, I imagine it would be very long indeed.

I worry that if the climb up and down to the Cruz is difficult, you will likewise find the climb to O Cebreiro and he subsequent descent into Triacastela to be equally challenging. Apart from walking a completely different route from Ponferrada (the Camino de Invierno) your best bet might be to budget yourself several more days to spread out the difficult stretches into shorter stages.
I took a taxi from the Cruz de ferro and did the horse ride up to O Cebreiro. Loved it

€149,-
My knee was bothering my quite badly at that point so I opted to take a taxi from Cruz de Farro to Ponferrada. I arranged it the day before as I had heard it was a treacherous descent. I'm glad I did as it rained and the rocks were very slippery, my friends didn't make it to Ponferrada until 5pm and one was crying from the stress. The drive through the mountains was spectacular!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back