• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Avoiding the breakfast trap?

Most of these posts seem to me to refer to the facilities available on the busier caminos. On my last camino, the VdlP, I could not count on finding an open bar within an hour or two's walk every morning. I always planned for breakfast before leaving my albergue. My immersion heater heats water for porridge, available in various forms in the tiendas, then more water for Starbuck's instant coffee (which I bring with me). My main meal and my picnic meal (bread, cheese, apple, sometimes carrots) depend on when the local bars or restaurants prefer to cook and when I arrive in a town at a mealtime. I usually managed to eat an evening meal on the VdlP, but I understand that I shall probably have to look for comida if I walk through a town at midday on the Madrid, and probably be very flexible on the Invierno. Unless you are walking the Frances, the Portuguese or the Ingles, you may want to carry your breakfast food with you and plan to prepare it before you leave the albergue. I think that I would be grateful for availability of any breakfast food, however basic, in an albergue, rather than having to carry a considerable weight of food where open bars and restaurants are few, and are cooking at their schedule, not mine. Of course, that is part of the adventure of travel in foreign parts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The absolute best tortilla I ever had was in the old bar in Burguette, the first village after Roncesvalles. I'd come off the Le Puy (the French albergues added insult to the bread and jam breakfast injury by refusing to serve it before 8am), so tortilla was beyond wonderful, and this place added cheese and ham to it. Sadly, the new place just further along opened and the old place doesn't open for breakfast anymore.
See, my best tortilla - bar none - has always been in the Cafe Bar Oasis, on the left in San Justo de la Vega, within sight of the walls of Astorga. To be so close to the city would seem to argue against stopping, but it’s always worth it. Always.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My favorite breakfast. And I had never had baked beans with my breakfast.
Oh I DO miss Spanish bread.
Was that picture taken at the first restaurant in Molinaseca on the right after crossing the bridge? I had eggs and beans there and it was wonderful. It was so nice to sit outside and eat breakfast.

This thread is really quite an interesting glimpse into the variations of how people handle life on the Camino. Those who ask "what do pilgrims do"... in whatever situation... need only read this thread to see how many answers there are.

Coping with breakfast is one of the interesting challenges of the Camino, especially on the less traveled routes where it is necessary to plan breakfast the night before. Maybe I am very dense, but it was a brilliant revelation to me when one bar owner, on telling me that he didn't open until late in the morning and there was no other place in town, suggested that I take a cafe con leche back to the albergue that evening and heat it in the microwave in the morning. I had never thought of that before. So, I did, supplementing it the next day with nuts, potato chips, banana or some stale pastry dredged from the depths of my pack, and I moved on, quite satisfied that I had risen to the occasion and met the challenge for another day!

At home, I am quite an organized person and enjoy a very healthy breakfast most days. Getting a decent breakfast on the Camino is definitely a first world problem.

Last edited:
Point and counterpoint: I guess I'm not a connoisseur, but I never had a bad cup of coffee (cafe con leche) on the Camino -- in fact, IMHO, it puts overpriced and overrated Starbucks to shame. And those Napolitanos...yummm. I know it's not a typical American breakfast, but a mid-morning coffee break and a piece of fruit tides you over to lunchtime just fine.

Starbucks is not great coffee, I agree. But, as a category, brewed coffee is very different from espresso, which is what you get in Spain and usually doctor with milk to make it more drinkable, because, by itself, it is thick and bitter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I walk with kids I make a real effort to make sure we have food available before walking anywhere. (The times I’ve failed have reminded me why!) Oats or muesli and yoghurt are great staples. Fruit, cheese, bread, nuts, eggs all work too.
Note kitchens may be closed/ locked in the mornings.

When I walked the Madrid by myself and it was sooooo hot (high 30s) I found I didn’t need to eat much.

Then I arrived in Sahagun and met a lovely American couple doing the Francés and they were raving about how wonderful it felt to legitimately be eating two breakfasts, lunch and dinner. Turned out they were walking 10-12km days - they would have benefited more from their camino ((healthwise) to cut back some of that caloric intake! But they were happy. (BTW I am NOT saying they did not walk far enough, just that they probably didn’t need so much sustenance in relation to distance covered)

After this couple I bumped into quite a number of people who seemed to be eating excessive amounts and I wondered if it’s become part of the “Camino experience” for many. I didn’t see that on the less frequented routes.
But maybe it was just coincidence.

Anyway, having said all that I’d encourage you to go to local supermarkets, tiendas, markets, bakeries and enjoy what you find. It’s all part of the adventure.

I walk for an hour or so before I stop for breakfast. I like to get a slice of tortilla and some orange juice, though sometimes a big flaky chocolate croissant tempts me. I rarely have breakfast at the albergues, and I definitely don't if it's an extra cost.
I agree with you, even down to the chocolate croissant TT😄

The money I've most felt like I've wasted on the camino has almost always been at breakfast time. I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped 3 or 4 Euros on some bad coffee and dry toast and jam.

So I'd like to ask you what do you do for breakfast each morning on the camino? What can you do instead to get a good head-start on the day without overpaying?

My teenage son complains that we waste a lot of good walking time in the morning because of my caffeine addiction. He has a point. So... When there is a kitchen I make a cup of strong tea, and I bring along some starbucks instant coffee. We eat some protein and bread in the morning. Usually cheese and bread, sometimes an egg, sometimes handfuls of nuts and raisins. -- and we're off! Los geht's!

Buen Camion everyone--

PS We'll be walking from Burgos in two weeks time!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The money I've most felt like I've wasted on the camino has almost always been at breakfast time. I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped 3 or 4 Euros on some bad coffee and dry toast and jam.

So I'd like to ask you what do you do for breakfast each morning on the camino? What can you do instead to get a good head-start on the day without overpaying?
I have had a different experience with breakfast on the Camino. Like all pilgrims, I always start early and around 9 a.m. I can normally find a bar or shop that will sell me a reasonable breakfast.

Going right back to your question: prepare the night before. When someone takes your stuff, change your menu. No more fridge stuff. And use your head. If the only option is something you don't want, drink some more water, and keep going till you find what suits you! This is still April 1st where you are, @H Richards...???

My question was rather prepare what the night before? With probably only the village Tienda for supplies, what sort of breakfasts can you always put together? The muesli and yoghurt idea is a good answer, for instance. Of course walking until a bar and then spending money on having someone cook you something is always an option, but that's not what I'm getting at here.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My question was rather prepare what the night before? With probably only the village Tienda for supplies, what sort of breakfasts can you always put together? The muesli and yoghurt idea is a good answer, for instance. Of course walking until a bar and then spending money on having someone cook you something is always an option, but that's not what I'm getting at here.
You can usually make sandwiches. You can buy fruit and granola type bars or pastries. You don't need to eat traditional "breakfast" food.

All God's chillun love scrapple!

And I confess that my cholesterol level could be better than it is....
Here in Cincinnati we have something equally as decadent as scrapple, it's an old German recipe called goetta which is made up of ground pork and pin head oats. There is even a Goetta Fest here once a year.

Last edited:
Come to New Mexico (USA) and you get huevos rancheros with a corn tortilla underneath the eggs, pinto beans on the side and a choice of red or green chile (or both) on top. Mmmmmm
Sounds like instant obesity. Sign me up!

Actually, don't. I am starting to struggle with sugar addiction and our toxic food environment. I feel I should be more careful in my commentary. With 60% of people overweight a more measured attitude would be more helpful.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Actually, don't. I am starting to struggle with sugar addiction and our toxic food environment.
I'm 11 days in to my second round of the Whole 30 diet, which eliminates all sugar, sweeteners, alcohol, dairy, grains and legumes. It sounds extreme, but is actually very easy to do when you focus on what you can eat and not what you can't. I was shocked the first time that I did it how much I didn't miss the sugar.

https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

On our walks around town after settling into the albergues we would buy 2-4 bananas and some yoghurt for the next day. Get up early, have our first breakfast, and off we went. Usually within 1-2 hours we would come by a bar- and have cafe con leche, and tortilla that set us up for the rest of the day. Also carried cheese and bread for the lunch break- and nuts and raisins for munching!

I usually walk about 10km before I stop for breakfast - and even then it’s usually just zumo and cafe con leche. But I have a massive lunch later. I don’t advocate this system for others, it’s just what works for me.

Just the once though I was hungrier than usual after staying in Ponferrada, and I had the best breakfast ever in Cacabelos in a place called La Moncloa (highly recommended if you pass by). It was about £7 BUT it had toast and homemade quince preserve, cheese, tortilla, cake, fruit, orange juice, coffee, and something hot that I can’t remember...maybe eggs? It was plentiful and delicious. I thought it was too much and I would pack some of it for later but I ended up eating it all and skipping lunch instead.
My son and I had a pretty nice breakfast in Cardeñuela Riopico, before Burgos. That's cafe con leche, fresh squeezed orange juice and french toast with condensed milk and chocolate for each of us, with tortilla with cheese and veggies for me and a bocadillo and slice of watermelon for him. My mouth is watering just looking at it. It looks like it was at Bocateria San Miguel. Also recommended.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I need coffee first thing every morning so carry an immersion heater, cup, and packets of European Nescafe. Before stopping in the afternoon, I get fruit and tortilla or croissant, and yogurt, to have for breakfast, and sometimes whatever I will fix up for supper instead of eating "out".

I walk for an hour or so before I stop for breakfast. I like to get a slice of tortilla and some orange juice, though sometimes a big flaky chocolate croissant tempts me. I rarely have breakfast at the albergues, and I definitely don't if it's an extra cost.
I do the same, and it works well for me. Those morning breaks are very tasty and nutritious. For those who must have something before heading out---an apple or orange will work. Or an energy bar.

Actually, don't. I am starting to struggle with sugar addiction and our toxic food environment. I feel I should be more careful in my commentary. With 60% of people overweight a more measured attitude would be more helpful.
I have had huevos rancheros before in Texas. Some good stuff, there. Certainly one does not have to eat it all the time, but something like that occasionally is nice. After all, all work and no play makes Jack a dull bastard, and I suppose that applies to food as well. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just curious... (I have never been to the States) ... what is an American breakfast?

Thanks for the hint about the oven. I'll try to prepare it in a pan. That should work out too. Since I've got all ingredients at home I'll try that this afternoon :cool:.

Sure, here you go:

Baked Oats with fruits
Ingredients for 8 servings
300 g rolled oats
2 bananas, ripe, crushed with a fork
100 g dried fruits, roughly chopped (apricots, dates, figs, raisins or cranberries)
1 apple, coarsely grated
100 g hazelnuts / walnuts / almonds, roughly chopped
300 ml milk
2 eggs

Cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, orange peel or coconut flakes for added flavor
Butter for the casserole dish

Preheat the oven to 180 °C . Mix the rolled oats with the crushed bananas, dried fruits, the grated apple and the chopped nuts. Stir in the milk and eggs. Season with cinnamon, vanilla sugar or cardamom.

Grease a baking dish and pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Approximately bake for 30 -40 minutes till it's slighly brown.

Can be eaten lukewarm and cold. At home I sometimes I dip the baked oats into honey yoghurt.
Yay, a breakfast bar without added sugar. (Well, aside from the fruit.)
My latest learning is that, if your tummy is habitually uncooperative in the morning, ask for manzanilla in the bar, and of course the pan tomate. (Don't ask for "te de manzanilla" as that is saying it wrong. Te is always black tea. Manzanilla is chamomile tea. Sugar packet on side, and not added before you get the drink, thank heaven.)

Of course, but why would one do that?
The Camino is hardly the Bataan Death March. At times you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cafe or bar. :D
That is true of most of the Camino Frances. Not so much for the Norte and the Portugues, where there are parts with pretty much nothing for quite a while. (It really hurt to pass bars that were going to be open later in the day but not at 0900!) I only remember one part of the Frances where it was really necessary to bring picnic lunch along. We got a loaf of barra and some sardines and of course we had our water bottles.

I'm 11 days in to my second round of the Whole 30 diet, which eliminates all sugar, sweeteners, alcohol, dairy, grains and legumes. It sounds extreme, but is actually very easy to do when you focus on what you can eat and not what you can't. I was shocked the first time that I did it how much I didn't miss the sugar.

https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

I've done that, too. I am a sugar-holic, but in a few days, the craving goes away. Nice thing about this diet is you can still have fruit and potatoes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

No sugar in huevos rancheros and not much fat, either! Eggs, chile and beans in the morning holds you over at least until late afternoon.

I've done that, too. I am a sugar-holic, but in a few days, the craving goes away. Nice thing about this diet is you can still have fruit and potatoes.
And when you can have potatoes, that means tortilla isn't off limits!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the info. It looks like it might be a good idea, I've been avoiding anything with added sugar or palm oil for a while. The industry is out to get you. I noticed that grapes are always very sweet in the UK. When they use previously healthy foods against you it feels like you are under attack.

It's one of the Camino bonuses, eating without concern.

As a non coffee addict I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I have an idea that might help those who need coffee before they are human in the morning.
I was thinking that if prior to the Camino you slowly alter the time that you have your first cup to later in the morning, perhaps you could get by on the Camino without starting with coffee, and instead waiting until you get to the next village.
Again, though I enjoy a cup now and then, especially with a nice fresh chocolate croissant, I never feel that I have to have it, so I don't know if this would work for the truly coffee addicted pilgrims.
No way. The people around me would have to deal with me....:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the Frances, I think cafe con leche and tortilla patatas.
On the other routes, I think GORP (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts from backpackers slang)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My son and I had a pretty nice breakfast in Cardeñuela Riopico, before Burgos. That's cafe con leche, fresh squeezed orange juice and french toast with condensed milk and chocolate for each of us, with tortilla with cheese and veggies for me and a bocadillo and slice of watermelon for him. My mouth is watering just looking at it. It looks like it was at Bocateria San Miguel. Also recommended.

View attachment 54245

Ooo! my A1C just skyrocketed looking at that.

So a practical question, any Diabetics walking who might have breakfast plan suggestions/methods.

Last edited:

Hi H Richards - sorry to read you're having poor breakys. Its my favourite time, and as you're wondering what we all do, then I'll tell you my every day fave breaky routine/ritual: I'm an early starter, always have been, always will be, at home or underway. On Camino I make sure I have something light to eat when I'm ready to go - a couple of natural joghurts or oranges or bannanannas, and set off, usually in the dark, anticipating finding a good breaky once the sun is up and I'm ready for a break and sit down - that's when I always have a coffee and a chunk of Tortilla with bread. I love it, and have never had a bad coffee that I can remember, but a few disappointing slices of tortilla. I've had some memorable tortilla - yes, I can still picture then in my mind, the locations and special features. I like proper Spanish tortilla so much I've been working on traditional recipes a home, usually a sunday brunch feast. And on Camino, I find such a breaky fantastic value 😋 Hope you find something to satisfy you. Best wishes, Keith

My usual breakfast was a yogurt and an apple! Sometimes a boiled egg. ("Grocery store" eating). If I couldn't find my plastic spoon, I folded the foil lid into a makeshift spoon.

Hi H Richards - sorry to read you're having poor breakys. Its my favourite time, and as you're wondering what we all do, then I'll tell you my every day fave breaky routine/ritual: I'm an early starter, always have been, always will be, at home or underway. On Camino I make sure I have something light to eat when I'm ready to go - a couple of natural joghurts or oranges or bannanannas, and set off, usually in the dark, anticipating finding a good breaky once the sun is up and I'm ready for a break and sit down - that's when I always have a coffee and a chunk of Tortilla with bread. I love it, and have never had a bad coffee that I can remember, but a few disappointing slices of tortilla. I've had some memorable tortilla - yes, I can still picture then in my mind, the locations and special features. I like proper Spanish tortilla so much I've been working on traditional recipes a home, usually a sunday brunch feast. And on Camino, I find such a breaky fantastic value 😋 Hope you find something to satisfy you. Best wishes, Keith
Thanks for the comments Keith. Yes I think tortilla might just be the best value of all things you can find for breakfast. I can't eat it every day, but certainly for some!

For me, first breakfast is almost always arroz con leche (creamed rice with cinnamon) with some mixed nuts sprinkled in. Traditionally it's a dessert so it is quite sweet, not something I'd usually go for except on camino. You can get a 2 pack in any supermarket for €1. Second breakfast is savoury: coffee and a tostada con tomate y aceite (toast with fresh tomato puree&olive oil). They will put a slice of ham or cheese on it if you ask, but the tomato alone is just perfect. As already mentioned, each bar-cafe does their own version of the tomato puree. It is addictive.

Attachments

• 00118823700267____7__600x600.jpg
    00118823700267____7__600x600.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for the hint about the oven. I'll try to prepare it in a pan. That should work out too. Since I've got all ingredients at home I'll try that this afternoon :cool:.

Sure, here you go:

Baked Oats with fruits
Ingredients for 8 servings
300 g rolled oats
2 bananas, ripe, crushed with a fork
100 g dried fruits, roughly chopped (apricots, dates, figs, raisins or cranberries)
1 apple, coarsely grated
100 g hazelnuts / walnuts / almonds, roughly chopped
300 ml milk
2 eggs

Cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, orange peel or coconut flakes for added flavor
Butter for the casserole dish

Preheat the oven to 180 °C . Mix the rolled oats with the crushed bananas, dried fruits, the grated apple and the chopped nuts. Stir in the milk and eggs. Season with cinnamon, vanilla sugar or cardamom.

Grease a baking dish and pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Approximately bake for 30 -40 minutes till it's slighly brown.

Can be eaten lukewarm and cold. At home I sometimes I dip the baked oats into honey yoghurt.
Hi Sugergypsy. I made your baked oats recipe last night. Absolutely delicious!!! We are off for a week in our touring caravan to continue our training for the Camino. So I had to make the baked oats to take with us. Regards Bruce and Margaret.

But fortunately they do 4 other meals. :D
Second breakfast
Comida
Merienda
Cena
When I got home from my last Camino I had trouble convincing people that second breakfast is a thing
It most certainly was.
I dont eat breakfast at the albergue, I prefer to get on the road. Whenever I did it was inferior, and delayed my arrival time for the day, meaning I walked in the heat longer.
Now I just zip down the stairs and out the door, and have 6kms under my belt before breakfast.
I'd have a smallish first breakfast, walk 3 more hours, second breakfast. Worked a treat for me, means I dont walk with a full tummy which I find uncomfortable.
And it means when I arrive in the afternoon, I'm ready for my lunch/dinner.

The other weird thing is that wherever possible I try to eat breakfast outside, for some reason I like to spend that time outdoors.

Last edited:
It seems a bit of a culture difference. When in Rome...... since you usually eat late at night when the day cools down you do not need a large breakfast 🍳.

If my Albergues have a kitchen I make myself a small oatmeal- porridge and have instant coffee to go. If not I drink water and walk on hoping to find an open bar at my next stop. If I need sugar I always have nuts and dried fruit.
If breakfast comes with the overnight you can ask if they would give you instead a smal lunch packet, since I explain I cannot eat before a long walk. And they have been very kind. Of course if the overnight is 15 Euros I don’t ask.

Unless you are ultra thin and require constant nourishment it’s actually recommended to fast at least 16 h a day. Jaja some great advise out there. Plus eating walking and 40 degrees don’t mix for me.
So listen to your body and maybe not to your habits they take over soon enough.

If eating in albergue/hotel room: oat porridge and tea, made using immersion coil, with fruit, yoghurt or whatever we could find the day before. If the local bakery had GOOD pan integral, maybe bread and cheese/ham and olives.
If there's a restaurant: orange juice, tea and a fresh tostada with whatever's available - often tomato and/or cheese, with a handful of nuts afterwards.
If it's been a cold night: Hot chocolate along with whatever we can get. .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just curious... (I have never been to the States) ... what is an American breakfast?

"American breakfast" is huge and goes back to when breakfast was served after getting morning farm chores done. Oddly, no one I know eats an "american breakfast" on a regular basis. (We make pancakes on holidays or maybe Sundays. We do make our own maple syrup every year or two from our maple trees.)

Growing up we had a bowl of oatmeal or cereal and glass of juice, or maybe a soft boiled or fried egg on a piece of toast. Now I usually have coffee, whole grain bread with butter or cheese, and a piece of fruit.

I met this lovely woman named Carmen on my first and only Camino in 2016. She was a native to Rioja. She gave me “food for thought” about her breakfasts of when she was a child. A piece of baguette toast drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled generously with sugar. I know it sounds atrocious, but it is delectable! A simply PERFECT shot of energy. Oh, and, of course, a cafe con leche.

I haven't been yet on a camino, so I dont't know whether it's going to work out, but I hope to find a kitchen every now and then and make same baked oats (mix oats, milk, eggs, banana, dried fruits & nuts and bake). Tastes really nice, very nutriousious and keeps fresh due to the dried fruits for 5 or six days easily and does not weigh too much. I really love that for breakfast - I live close to the place where Müsli originally comes from ;) - and have already taken that to other multi-day trips and it worked out very well, but never baked it yet while being on the road.
Good luck! You will more likely find croissant, or Spanish facsimile, tortilla patatta and excellent french squeezed orange juice, and of course coffee.

Currently on the Camino frances. I don’t stay at albergues that offer breakfast, whether as an extra charge on ‘included’, cos accomodation is their primary function and breakfast is mlikely to be good. Instead I usually walk for 5-6 km and then stop at a bar in the next village for coffee and some tortilla patata. Or in the case if this morning, fried eggs and chorizo with tortilla!!! Breakfast of champions kept me going all day for 10 euro.

I had my fair share of toast too, but when I could, I would buy oranges for the next day, and yogurt too, if you had access to a fridge, which most of the municipal albergues do. I also liked to pick up tortilla for the next day too, so basically food that you can carry. Or, if you can have s cafe con leche to tide you over, you can also brunch on eggs and pork and French fries a little further up the road.

Buen Camino!

My wife and I loved our breakfast. We usually planned to stop at the first open cafe. Always a cappuccino coffee, chocolatine and a freshly squeezed orange juice when available. And of course your first rest!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I usually buy a large yogurt drink the night before. (It keeps refrigerated or not) Drink it on my way to the first open bar, get a great cafe con leche standing at the bar, then walk till about 10 when Spanish breakfast begins. Most bars have a tortilla prepared by then. (Sometimes you have to ask them to bring it out) Have that, and another cafe, and I'm set to Spanish lunch or my picnic.
Thx for indicating Spanish breakfast time!

I was once advised by a couple of Dutch professional pilgrims* to not worry, overmuch. Their view was clear, you can walk all day on a mars bar, people are much tougher than they think. It certainly hadn't stunted their growth.

It's actually pretty sound advice. IMO.

* they walked young offenders from Holland to Santiago as part of an alternative sentencing scheme,-- which had one of the lowest reoffending rates in their system. They knew about hardship. It was one of their tools.
Yes. I had a stomach bug once and dared not eat for fear of hurling. I walked my normal daily camino distance for two days without food. I don't have much stored fat but I was fine on just water. It was fabulous walking as usual.

Hi I walked CF with 2 friends in 2018 and if breakfast was not included in accom then we bought a small tub of yogurt, a banana or apple the day before and stopped about 1-2 hrs into our walk, rested, ate breakfast and kept going. often we would have a coffee if possible before we left the town which is often all we felt like having at an early hr of the morning. worked well for us :)

I like my cup of coffee in the morning and so I bring Starbucks via along when coffee isn't available. When breakfast is included I ask for tomato, olive oil and salt for my toast. This is a favorite among the Spanish but when not available I carry my own tomato. Most times I ask for fruit for dessert at the meal the night before and save it for morning. Then after an hour or so of walking I enjoy coffee and eggs in a cafe. It took a few caminos to discover that you can ask for things not on the menu and if they have the ingredients they will make it for you. However, if you stop at the crowded first bar in town you get what they have. I like to stop at the second bar and there is no line for the bathroom.

I"m not sure where you live, but in Portland, Oregon, people often pay over $4 for their morning cup of coffee. 3 to 4 euros seems quite affordable for all you can eat toast, jam, and coffee.

That said, there are plenty of places to stop along the way if you need more.
There are also plenty of markets where you can buy your own.
Here is a blog I did on this topic.

Breakfast on the Camino - Choices
Your blog won't let me read it. It said I have to be invited.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I've done a smaller and fast version of the recipe in a mug ;). Takes only about 2 or 3 minutes in the microwave, so that should also work out for the whole recipe. Does anyone know in which size unit eggs are usually sold in Spain :D? I would not like to carry leftover eggs in my mochila 🙃 ... and I don't really like hard boiled eggs.
When we bought eggs at a small grocery store, they were sold individually. Worked great to get only what we needed.

As a non coffee addict I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I have an idea that might help those who need coffee before they are human in the morning.
I was thinking that if prior to the Camino you slowly alter the time that you have your first cup to later in the morning, perhaps you could get by on the Camino without starting with coffee, and instead waiting until you get to the next village.
Again, though I enjoy a cup now and then, especially with a nice fresh chocolate croissant, I never feel that I have to have it, so I don't know if this would work for the truly coffee addicted pilgrims.
Great suggestion (to try and recalibrate the timing of your need for coffee). Or (take a breath) maybe consider going without it? I am a lifelong coffee addict, but I weaned myself off it before I went on my Camino — and I was so glad I did. Coffee was just not available in most albergues, so I saved a lot of money (even though Spain’s cafe con leche is much cheaper than Starbucks, it still adds up). It was lovely not feeling a like prisoner to that *need*. Caffeine addiction is another form of bondage and for me the Camino was an opportunity to throw off as much as possible and just embrace simplicity. I know that sounds horrifying for those who can’t function w/o caffeine, believe me, I get it. Just something to consider.

I craved mustard. Almost no one had it unless you found a bar or cafe that had real hamburger 🍔
I'm so tempted to carry some mustard with me next time...it drove me crazy not to be able to have it on my bocadillas!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hmm, I am allergic to dairy and eggs so obviously didn't experiment with the most common protein breakfasts available in Spain. I did partake of the jamon and pastries and oj. My main protein source was trail mix I prepared with nuts, dried fruit, etc. I had to prepare it 3-4 times on my 7 week trek but I ate every bit of it and still lost 10kg. My advice if you have dietary issues is to take the time to figure out how to accommodate them as easily as possible. Never skip the midday meal - the menus saved me. I also carried protein bars but they were expensive to buy and not readily available in the smaller pueblos where I chose to stay, or on the Primitivo. Stock up when you find them, if you want them, and figure out the sweet point for you with respect to how much you want to carry. Also, I carried tangerines or apples daily. I was hungry all the time, though, and again, I would recommend not skipping any meals. Buen camino

This thread is really quite an interesting glimpse into the variations of how people handle life on the Camino. Those who ask "what do pilgrims do"... in whatever situation... need only read this thread to see how many answers there are.
Getting a decent breakfast on the Camino is definitely a first world problem.
Every single question and inquiry on this forum is a first world problem. :D

I"m not sure where you live, but in Portland, Oregon, people often pay over $4 for their morning cup of coffee. 3 to 4 euros seems quite affordable for all you can eat toast, jam, and coffee.

Why would you provide a link to your blog, when your blog is readable by invitation only?

I do not know what people expect. What do you get for 3-4 euros ? In Denmark where I live you really can’t get anything for that price. How much is a coffee at Starbucks in the states ?
The small cafe’s- bars and alberques on the camino, is trying to make a living.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do not know what people expect. What do you get for 3-4 euros ? In Denmark where I live you really can’t get anything for that price. How much is a coffee at Starbucks in the states ?
The small cafe’s- bars and alberques on the camino, is trying to make a living.
Not everyone in States drinks Starbucks (I for one COMPLETELY refuse to patronise them precisely due to the fact that I find the idea of paying $7.00 for cup of coffee ludicrous!) and I can argue that "we are not in States". In Eastern Europe 3-4 Euros in most places (not counting Moscow, St.Pete's and cities of that caliber) get you plenty.
I agree with the sentiments of "trying to make a living" however from what I read above - there is no reason to serve people stale food and bad 'yesterdays' coffee (else we can take a page from Monsieur Thénardier's "kidney of a horse, liver of the cat" and argue that he was trying to make a living as well)
Thus IMHO if food was good I do not believe we'd have gripes about the price

So.... my question to those who make sandwiches and hard boiled eggs an evening before - where do you store it overnight? Are there refrigerators available?

I take a small pot of marmite with me. I buy a dried sausage (chorizo etc) so I can always pep up breakfast if I want.
I prefer not to start walking before I’ve had some breakfast and a clear out.

One of the great things about the Camino is when you're exercising 6-7 hours a day you can eat most anything! Eggs are great protein and the fat gets burned off during the day.
I used to think that too - let me introduce you to my friend Atorvastatin ;)

So.... my question to those who make sandwiches and hard boiled eggs an evening before - where do you store it overnight? Are there refrigerators available?
Hit and miss. Not every albergue has a refrigerator, but many do. I would just take advantage of the situation when I stayed in one that did.
One tip I can give, is when you do have things in the refrigerator, keep them in a bag tied off on the top. Lets other pilgrims know it is not food left over from pilgrims who have left. Quite common for a refrigerator in an albergue to have left over wine, bread, canned soup, eggs etc from pilgrims already gone. Donativo grub.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hunk of cheese, bread, or nuts. Coffee at the first cafe I stumble on, and a sandwich. I leave early, before 6:30. Not much open on the Norte-Primitivo at that time.

I'm bringing my luxury item, an immersion coil, and instant Starbucks Via packets,to get a quick cup of coffee before waking. A necessity for me:)
Love this idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing for my upcoming Camino. Does this put us into a "party of 2?"

I take a small pot of marmite with me. I buy a dried sausage (chorizo etc) so I can always pep up breakfast if I want.
I prefer not to start walking before I’ve had some breakfast and a clear out.
Agh! No! Not the dreaded Marmite! I went to school the other side of the Oval to the Marmite factory. When the wind was in the wrong direction we had to have all the windows closed! Worst than the smell from the adjacent gas works.
About the only upside of a no-deal Brexit would be that Marmite would never leave these shores again! ;)

Love this idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing for my upcoming Camino. Does this put us into a "party of 2?"
This thread has me thinking about bringing one, too. An immersion heater coil, a titanium cup and packets of instant coffee. Relax with a cup full before I start walking in the morning.

Agh! No! Not the dreaded Marmite! I went to school the other side of the Oval to the Marmite factory. When the wind was in the wrong direction we had to have all the windows closed! Worst than the smell from the adjacent gas works.
About the only upside of a no-deal Brexit would be that Marmite would never leave these shores again! ;)
Bahahaha....🤣🤣 Marmite is the staple diet of kiwis. It maintains our internal sense of humour when we coerce other cultures into trying it, leading them to believe they will have an estatic dining experience

Bahahaha....🤣🤣 Marmite is the staple diet of kiwis. It maintains our internal sense of humour when we coerce other cultures into trying it, leading them to believe they will have an estatic dining experience
That is just cruel. It is literally the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel! 😱

I packed a bag of granola from home, but that soon gave way to...

“Un zuma grande e un cafe con leche e una tortilla de patatas e un napoletano por favor”

I get it about the large orange juice, coffee with milk and the spud tortilla, but what is the napoletano?

Great suggestion (to try and recalibrate the timing of your need for coffee). Or (take a breath) maybe consider going without it? I am a lifelong coffee addict, but I weaned myself off it before I went on my Camino — and I was so glad I did. Coffee was just not available in most albergues, so I saved a lot of money (even though Spain’s cafe con leche is much cheaper than Starbucks, it still adds up). It was lovely not feeling a like prisoner to that *need*. Caffeine addiction is another form of bondage and for me the Camino was an opportunity to throw off as much as possible andd just embrace simplicity. I know that sounds horrifying for those who can’t function w/o caffeine, believe me, I get it. Just something to consider.
But coffee is part of the camino experience, no?

The best

So I'd like to ask you what do you do for breakfast each morning on the camino? What can you do instead to get a good head-start on the day without overpaying

We experienced the same poor availability at most albergues. The trick is, to get up early, have a big drink of water and head off until you find a cosy cafe with reasonable coffee and substantial food offering. Don’t worry, there are plenty on most of the Camino.

Coffee is a must have for me in the morning, so when possible I always stop at the first cafe I can to fuel up on java.
The breakfast food in Spain is another matter. Some toast and jam, or perhaps some other type sugary pastry is not breakfast to me, especially when about to begin a 25km walk. So whenever I can, I buy breakfast food the day before and make myself something with more substance in the morning. A sandwich of cheese and meat. A tin of fish or chicken. Some whole milk. Things along that line.
I do the same. It takes the worry out of whether or not you will get a good start. The only downside is the coffee. Sometimes it is not available early enough, so we do the same and just walk until we find a nice café. Actually, depending on the time we leave, we will walk an hour or so before eating our bocadillo. Everyone is different, but that works for us.

When you get to your destination about midday plan your breakfast at some cafeteria that has good coffee and food, if you don’t eat breakfast just walk to the nearest town and have a snack and a rest.

He's already walked it Mick and a few others , I reckon he must not like Banana's ... if staying in an albergue have 1/2 Avocado [give the rest away] then to the nearest cafe for a short black , rest room visit with a small bit of thievery [paper] .....like us all 😇 and away.................. for the next 5 hours.

Last edited:
This thread has me thinking about bringing one, too. An immersion heater coil, a titanium cup and packets of instant coffee. Relax with a cup full before I start walking in the morning.

There is an entire thread devoted to the joys of immersion heaters, what they are called in Spanish, and where to buy them in Spain, with subsections on the kinds of mugs needed to make the fluid boil, as well as features ... well, seek it out and rejoice!

There is an entire thread devoted to the joys of immersion heaters, what they are called in Spanish, and where to buy them in Spain, with subsections on the kinds of mugs needed to make the fluid boil, as well as features ... well, seek it out and rejoice!
Nah, I have already ordered both online. Took about five minutes of looking.

I stopped at Food stores whenever I could and I would plan for the next days breakfast and carried in my pack. Maybe some nuts and a yogurt or banana and nuts. And then I would stop at the first café to get the second breakfast.

I’m not a coffee drinker, so there was no way I was paying for a five euro for dry toast and coffee. Occasionally I would have orange juice and a chocolate croissant which was heaven.

You’ll figure it out what works for you but do not count on an oven and most people get up and start walking without sitting down to eat or cook especially if you’re going In the summer when it’s hot. Eat on the go and then you stop get out of the sun for your second breakfast, and then you stop walking for gets too hot.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another idea is to make sure you are not excessively lean (!!), and then start the day with whatever liquid you prefer, such as at the first bar, and then start walking. After an hour or so start looking for food such as fresh pastry or fruit etc. I have done quite a few Caminos and now only very rarely carry food, such as a few of the long stretches on the VdlP. Generally it might take 2 or 3 hours but I suspect most people can walk for that time without food. Some nutritionists recommend exercise before breakfast. Part of the Camino experience for me is the local food so I also have a policy or never cooking or preparing my own meals and certainly not carrying the extra weight of cooking equipment - just very light cup and cutlery. Other than some calories in the morning I get my important nutrients each day after walking. I gave up on the idea of a healthy Camino breakfast many years ago.

I would like to read the article you linked about Breakfast on the Camino. How to gain permission?

For the past year or so I've practiced a daily fast and I don't eat till noon from the previous night....very good health benefits that I won't get into here (google) therefore I then don't worry about breakfast. A fat coffee is during the a.m. definitely helps get you to lunch.

€149,-
The immersion coil is the best! You'll never wonder when you'll get that first precious cup o' joe or tea. Oatmeal, or your choice of hot cereals, might look big in volume but it's super light and cheap.

We usually stay in a private room for two..frequently in albergues or private pensions. Normally we walk around 15km per day. This gives us ample time and energy to shop. We buy a small box of Quaker granola cereal which we transfer to a zip lock bag. This lasts the two of us about four-five days. If you split it in two bags it does not weigh much at all. Each day, when we arrive at our destination, we purchase Greek yogurt and fresh fruit such as strawberries (in March) and a banana and a couple of oranges or tangerines. I like the fresh zumo that is prevalent in Bars but it gets costly. In the morning we mix the yogurt, granola cereal as well as a banana (for two) and strawberries in our room and eat it. We make tea in the room and we are then ready to go.

we also purchase supper ( and then eat in the room or kitchen). We buy lots of raw vegetables including tomatoes, green or red peppers, tomato, olives, sometimes a small can of corn, fresh bread, olive oil in the packets and we have a feast. We bring little salt packets from home.

However, since we limit our walking kms, we do stop once or twice for coffee or tea during our walk....

We eat lunch out most days when we arrive at our destination... More and more...we skip the peregrino meal!! We order a main dish and a drink and do not find it more expensive.... or sometimes the menu del dia is a good option. Somertimes we order a pizza and a salad and then split them....cheaper than the peregrino meal and definitely more satisfying.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Plain full fat yog if available, otherwise the low fat ones, and banana. Bought the day before from a shop. We didn’t fret too much about overnight refrigeration for yogs, telling ourselves that they are fermented products. We ate them at about the 5km point. We grabbed some black coffee if available, around that time too. Wish I could eat eggs, if I could, I’d have some hard boiled, as others have said.

we always carry some rolled/porridge oats and dried fruit, and have a mug/bowl of that with just cold water on - even better if you make it the night b4 and leave to plump up... if you have time or inclination you can cook it up , but it is just as nice cold and you can carry with you in a travel mug...

Marmite, more divisive than Brexit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Come to New Mexico (USA) and you get huevos rancheros with a corn tortilla underneath the eggs, pinto beans on the side and a choice of red or green chile (or both) on top. Mmmmmm
And you can do the pilgrimage to Chimayo!

My initial week-long Camino was in the company of one or more napolitano addicts; I don't know if the albergues we stayed in even had breakfast since they already planned stops at the first (and second. and third.) cafe known to have choice croissants. I did shop at some local tiendas for afternoon/evening snacks once we stopped walking for the day, so I'm now aware of alternate possibilities!

My packing list for my (mostly) solo trip includes both a stainless steel mug - suitable for stovetop or oven, and a pair of Tupperware bowls (with lids) - suitable for microwave (and spill-proof storage). My plan when on my own is to snack all day (breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, lunch, and afternoon tea!) with foodstuffs I pick up locally and prepare, as needed, in the albergue kitchen/microwave. I'll most likely be able to splurge on a fancy dinner/supper out that way.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.