• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Avoiding the breakfast trap?

Coffee is a must have for me in the morning, so when possible I always stop at the first cafe I can to fuel up on java.
The breakfast food in Spain is another matter. Some toast and jam, or perhaps some other type sugary pastry is not breakfast to me, especially when about to begin a 25km walk. So whenever I can, I buy breakfast food the day before and make myself something with more substance in the morning. A sandwich of cheese and meat. A tin of fish or chicken. Some whole milk. Things along that line.

Since I can't function well on an empty stomach, I carried packets of Nescafe, and usually shopped in the afternoon for next morning - got eggs to boil, &/or a slice of tortilla, &/or some kind of pastry, or &/or a cerealish something, and a small carton of milk. Nearly every albergue/hostel has a microwave if nothing else. Or, if there was a cafe near and open, fresh OJ, and real coffee and one of the above.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
He's already walked it Mick and a few others , I reckon he must not like Banana's ... if staying in an albergue have 1/2 Avocado [give the rest away] then to the nearest cafe for a short black , rest room visit with a small bit of thievery [paper] .....like us all 😇 and away.................. for the next 5 hours.
"Visit rest room visit with a small bit of thievery [paper] .....like us all 😇" Surely you are joking---there is never any toilet paper left when I visit--or maybe you were there before me. ;):(;)

I practise intermittent fasting so I start eating every day at 12 noon and try to have my last meal around 8pm so I put 20kms under the belt before eating...maybe a black coffee para llevar!!!

Keeps it nice and easy in the morning and allows me to shed that 'winter coat' a bit quicker ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I buy fruit the day before and put it in a Pocket in my pack I can reach while I am walking. I would rather eat breakfast while walking in the cool morning air rather than waste time finding, ordering, and eating Breakfast. One less hour in the afternoon heat. I also buy a Diet Coke the night before and put it in my pack, to take care of the caffeine in the morning,

be
The money I've most felt like I've wasted on the camino has almost always been at breakfast time. I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped 3 or 4 Euros on some bad coffee and dry toast and jam.

So I'd like to ask you what do you do for breakfast each morning on the camino? What can you do instead to get a good head-start on the day without overpaying?
[/QUOTE

Last edited:
I am a vegetarian and also need gluten-free, so I carry chia seeds. I soak 2 spoonfuls in my mug at night in a little water with some dried fruit. By morning it has thickened and I add some fresh fruit and/or yoghurt and it will carry me through for a couple of hours until 'second breakfast' of tortilla or eggs.
Chia seeds are a source of protein and you can buy them in small amounts in a supermarket.

The money I've most felt like I've wasted on the camino has almost always been at breakfast time. I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped 3 or 4 Euros on some bad coffee and dry toast and jam.

So I'd like to ask you what do you do for breakfast each morning on the camino? What can you do instead to get a good head-start on the day without overpaying?
Hi H Richards
I normally only make my own coffee, walk for a couple of hours then stop for a cruson orange juice and a coffee. That normally make my day off for a good start.
I do bring from home a few packets of nut and honey bars. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why would you provide a link to your blog, when your blog is readable by invitation only?

The blog is back up.
I had closed it to take down some personal things I wrote in a fit of depression after caring for my elderly unreasonable mother and being worn to the bone. I forgot to turn the blog back to public after working on it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't been yet on a camino, so I dont't know whether it's going to work out, but I hope to find a kitchen every now and then and make same baked oats (mix oats, milk, eggs, banana, dried fruits & nuts and bake). Tastes really nice, very nutriousious and keeps fresh due to the dried fruits for 5 or six days easily and does not weigh too much. I really love that for breakfast - I live close to the place where Müsli originally comes from ;) - and have already taken that to other multi-day trips and it worked out very well, but never baked it yet while being on the road.
Hi sugar gypsy. On a training week in North Wales IN UK. Your oar cakes have been invaluable. We just have 2 portions each and a flask of coffee and lunch is sorted. Thanks Bruce and Margaret.

If the albergue has a kitchen, buy your breakfast ingredients the night before and cook your own. Example: 4 of us went in together and bought food for dinner. We also bought a dozen eggs for the next morning. In the morning we scrambled 8 eggs along with the left over vegetables from the night before, and hard boiled the last 4 eggs to take with us as a snack later in the day.

Rarely did I do the Alburge breakfast as for the most part either it was ot part of the stay or worth the wait. , the day previous I would buy an orange and have that as a starter then walks couple of k's to a nearby bakery.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I would have a coffee and maybe an orange juice on the way out of the village at a market or a bar, and then walk to the next village. Whatever they had for protein (which was usually tortilla) was my breakfast. I rarely at the wonderful pastries because I knew those were not going to give me the fuel I needed.

I tend not to bother with breakfast and just wait until I get to suitable coffee stop. Unfortunately, sometimes that means at the end of the stage after 30 or 40 kms!!

I have had at least one good albergue breakfast. At Albergue Estrella Guía the owner/hospitalera makes a delicious cake for breakfast every day.
Ohhh, yes! It is the Brazilian woman, isn’t it? I am gluten intolerant but my friends loved the cake. We stayed at her apartment before she moved and opened up the Alburgue.
Yes, I've done a smaller and fast version of the recipe in a mug ;). Takes only about 2 or 3 minutes in the microwave, so that should also work out for the whole recipe.
Can you svaret he receipt?

I am also walking door an hour or so if it is some villages ahead. I always bring som nut bars and maybe fruit or similar if I need something to eat

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideally I walk for a while and then stop some place where they have napolitanas de chocolate and cafe con leche. Albergue breakfasts tend to be expensive and crap.

Cafe stops can be a delightful social time but are zero necessary otherwise .. just carry food with you - if you buy the ingredients at a tienda - so cheap - and make a couple of ham and cheese rolls the afternoon before, well, they are hardly going to go off overnight, so do that and you will never be hungry .... as for coffee - a delight for social intercourse but not needed - almost no one will do this I know, but - give up all coffee from a month before you go, get over the caffeine withdrawal at home ... once it is gone you will find there is absolutely no desire (or need) for that caffeine hit - there - I have saved you hundreds and hundreds of Euros!!!

De nada ;)

Made some oatmeal and a cup of tea when there was a kitchen. Had nuts and a couple of pieces from a bar of chocolate for the times when there was nothing and had a frappe basically Nescafe in a bottle of water good to go. Water and fruit during the walk. In Portugal at lunchtime a cup with sugar of their fabulous coffee. Just enough not to get lightheaded during the walk would eat after walking. Eating would slow me down.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would often have a yogurt in my pack I could eat. I would stop at the first cafe and get the tortilla and a cafe con lèche.

Actually, most pilgrim's at the donativo albergues where I have worked were happy to fill up on whatever we served, usually toast and jam with coffee or tea. I always tried to have some hummus or some cheese and some fruit. We always had box juice or milk as well. I can see where many might not want to pay extra, but almost no one left without out eating something.

When I am a pilgrim I like to head out early and love a cafe con leche at the first available stop. Also love a tortilla, but I never had the know how or resources to make that at 5:30 am in an albergue. Guess I'll have to work on that. When I made it here at home it required an oven and I have never had a regular sized one at an albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Will thank you! I never complain about a dish that is prepared by another person having myself prepared and served thousands of meals in my time I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Oh how I used to love my pilgrim toast and coffee.... I totally agree that sometimes it can be pretty bad but sometimes oooh it was wonderful... But regardless it was my pilgrim breakfast of choice.

However, I was diagnosed with celiac disease in June (I'm totally fine so not a sob story) and this year was the first time I was walking the camino without my beloved pilgrim breakfast. Crikey I cannot tell you how much I missed my morning toast... I've not found a replacement for it yet... I'll have to walk a few more camino to see if I can find a replacement :oops: :)

p.s. I did carry a small amount of gluten free porridge which was ok... not as great as the toast though ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also love a tortilla, but I never had the know how or resources to make that at 5:30 am in an albergue. Guess I'll have to work on that. When I made it here at home it required an oven and I have never had a regular sized one at an albergue.
You definitely don’t need an oven to make a tortilla de patatas 😀 but.... it takes for ever! Well, not strictly for ever but (imo) it’s a labour of love and not something you hard-working hospitaleros should ever have to do early morning! 😱 No way! 🙂

When I am a pilgrim I like to head out early and love a cafe con leche at the first available stop. Also love a tortilla, but I never had the know how or resources to make that at 5:30 am in an albergue. Guess I'll have to work on that.
Leave early and support the local shops is the go,
And you won't have to consider a visit to the kitchen @ 5.30 am if i'm staying in the place and neither will anyone else:(:(:(

Last edited:

Your absolutely right about the money thing . Buy your breakfast the day before. I carry a small, plastic jar of coffee. Today, after arriving in the village, the bar sold me milk and bread. After realising... I'd lost my sweetener, I went back in and the young lady gave me a handful of the wee sugar packets. She refused payment. Albergue microwave did the rest, as it will do, in the morning!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it easy to buy milk on the camino? A small carton, from a shop? And does anyone know if you can buy Weetabix in Spain? As my plan was to just buy milk and eat 2 Weetabix for breakfast every morning. Will have a tin mug and spork with me, instead of a luxurious bowl and spoon lol
I will bring Weetabix with me if I can't buy it in Spain, but if milk isn't easily available, I guess I'll just have to revise my plans and settle for a banana and yoghurt instead.......

Is it easy to buy milk on the camino? A small carton, from a shop? And does anyone know if you can buy Weetabix in Spain? As my plan was to just buy milk and eat 2 Weetabix for breakfast every morning. Will have a tin mug and spork with me, instead of a luxurious bowl and spoon lol
I will bring Weetabix with me if I can't buy it in Spain, but if milk isn't easily available, I guess I'll just have to revise my plans and settle for a banana and yoghurt instead.......
Of course you can buy milk but Weetabix, do you know, I never looked for it! I don’t know!
I’d settle for a banana and yoghurt instead 😎

First breakfast (the one at the albergue if you take it) is a waste but the second breakfast, the one you get 6-8k down the way is a gift from the Gods. Coffee or juice, full breakfast or a croissant, whatever it is, I always feel like I’ve earned it. And, if you left early enough to miss first breakfast, you’re also often greeted with a glorious sunrise...no charge.

Of course you can buy milk but Weetabix, do you know, I never looked for it! I don’t know!
I’d settle for a banana and yoghurt instead 😎
Apologies, I meant is milk easily available to buy. Like, I know there will be supermarkets in the towns, but will there be shops in the small villages to buy milk and food to prepare for lunch/evening meal etc?
Its just that I'm going to be on a tight budget, and won't really be able to afford cafes/bars for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Hoping to get by with a pilgrims meal in the evening/ share communal meals with others by buying from supermarkets (I'll try my best not to poison anyone with my cookinglol), and then make breakfast/lunch with food bought in a shop (bread/cheese/cereal bars/fruit/yoghurt etc)

Last edited:
Apologies, I meant is milk easily available to buy. Like, I know there will be supermarkets in the towns, but will there be shops in the small villages to buy milk and food to prepare for lunch/evening meal etc?
Its just that I'm going to be on a tight budget, and won't really be able to afford cafes/bars for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Hoping to get by with a pilgrims meal in the evening, and prepare my other meals myself by buying from supermarkets
Yes, you will be fine buying stuff to eat even in small shops in villages. It may not be exactly what you are used to but you’ll be ok. Really. 🙂

It's maybe worth noting, for those on their first Camino, that it's often not very obvious what is available in a cafe. There may not be much on display. A few stale looking cakes, a coffee machine and an orange juice machine.......

Learn a few basic Spanish words so that you can politely ask......

Do you have this?

My World opened up when I learnt to ask if they had bacon and eggs on toast! :eek:
Most places did............

I'm sure others will better explain as my Spanish is very limited, but it's really not hard to be understood.

Tienes huevos fritos (do you have fried eggs)

I found just using "Tienes" and adding what I was looking for worked fine for everything...........
Just learn the words for whatever you are looking for........

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like to share the "BEST" breakfast I have ever had thru my 2 caminos.

The buffet breakfast for €4 at Cuatro Cantones Albergue in Belorado:
many selections, fruits, yogurt, homemade cakes, juice, milk, coffee,
and most important--good quality of food!
😀😇😇😇

I felt walking in the heaven after breakfast that day!

IMAG1399.jpgIMAG1403.jpg

p.s. I did carry a small amount of gluten free porridge which was ok... not as great as the toast though ;)
Yes, I will bring small bags with gluten free porridge next time. The weight of one bag is 65 g. Hot water should be possible to get/buy.

oats.... then add any dried fruit/nuts/seeds if you have any and water. Can do it in the most basic kitchen or outside!

Tortilla was my fuel for the Camino, sometimes bought an extra piece and had it wrapped to take with me as a snack. Croissants were a good alternative. I always keep a bag of nuts in the top of my rucksack in case I felt my energy levels dipping at any time, if you can find the bags of honey coated almonds they are the best!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.