• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Avoiding the Larrabetzu-Lezama-Zamudio Slog

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to head back out to the Norte/Primitivo at the end of this month with a new group of high schoolers. (Don't worry--we won't be anywhere near the municipal in Azofra!) I'm looking forward to trying out a few new approaches, as always. One of the things I've been focused on lately is that highway section between Larrabetzu and Zamudio, between Gernika and Bilbao. I've always felt like there must be a better option. Maybe I've found one?

This isn't a "real" route--this is me messing around in my gps software, but I think it's viable, and I'm going to give it a test run in a few weeks. But, if anyone's passing through earlier and wants to avoid the highway, here's what you need to know:

Leaving Larrabetzu, follow the Norte out of town. After passing a football field and a couple of dead-end left turns, you'll arrive at a more significant left turn (where the green line starts below). Take this, forking right then left to cross the expressway.

Follow that road as it winds around a small golf course and the Asador Horma Ondo. Shortly after passing the golf course, you've got to watch for a sharp right turn off the road, on to a track. From this point on, I believe the walk is almost entirely off-road. Probably the trickiest intersection to manage is at the end of this map, in the bottom-left, where it appears the route splits three ways and it's important to take the middle fork. No harm done if you take the left option. If you take the right option, though... it's going to be a longer day.

Soon after that point, the trail merges with a larger dirt road, continuing westward parallel to the BI-3732, intersecting it in places (like at the Vivero Taberna) and then eventually crossing it just before arriving at Monte Avril:

You can see that point in the bottom-right (note that I've skipped a good chunk of the map to arrive at this point). The trails start splitting up a lot more here, as you get into the Avril recreational area. You can see the official Norte coming in from above (the red line).

Anyway, according to the software, this walk (from just after Larrabetzu to Monte Avril) takes 9.7km, in comparison to the 10.5km on the official route. By my best guess, roughly 1/3 of that is paved and 2/3 is unpaved. I think there may be some good views--it looks like the main dirt road is up near the ridge line. There are a couple of opportunities for food/drink along the way, depending upon what time you reach them.

I'll give it a go and let you know if the reality is on par with the digital promise.

Dave

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Following up on this post--I tried this out in early July and it worked great! The only adjustment we made when trying this out in real life was pushing up to the ridge line a bit sooner, as that's a nice walk and much easier to navigate than some of the smaller tracks below it.

As anticipated, this approach is a tick shorter than the official route between Larrabetzu and Monte Avril--shaving off a half-km or so--and more strenuous (roughly 500m of elevation gain, as opposed to 320m on the official). Whereas only 2km of the official route is unpaved, nearly 7km of this approach is.

I wrote a bit more on the variant here, but the above description (and accompanying maps) is pretty well on the money. Happy to share a gpx track if anyone wants it.

I think that this is fine if you're staying in Bilbao - but by avoiding the main road you miss the accommodation in Lezama and Zamudio - and, for me, the grim bits make me appreciate the rest of it even more!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ha! I can give you some alternative grim bits as well if you'd like to increase your appreciation of the really scenic sections. I recommend the inland approach from Laredo to Noja for that! (Just having fun--I totally get your point.)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.