• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Away from the familiar into the unknown

Deise

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to Santiago Sept 2013
Via de la Plata April 2015
In her foreword to a new book " To Oldly Go " Dervla Murphy argues that because of the internet now the familiar is not left behind and the unknown has become familiar before one leaves home.

The sunset challenge " where to sleep ? " has been banished by the ease of booking into hostel etc
With street-plan provided on-line.

Part of me agrees however I must admit that research can add to the experience.
This forum is a good example.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In her new book " To Oldly Go " Dervla Murphy argues that because of the internet now the familiar is not left behind and the unknown has become familiar before one leaves home.
Exactly why, having not yet done a camino, I resist looking at all the pics posted. It's not just that, like movie trailers, they cherry pick. It's wanting to discover it for myself. Sure the pics will be great reminders afterwards though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes, though, previous experience and the advice offered adds to your own. No judgement on just winging it, I wish I could. But advice from friends to stay in Guemes (Norte) or Verde (Hospital de Orbigo), take the ferry across a river, go to this off camino spot instead of staying at a truck stop, taking the Mazarife alternative rather than the traditional out of Leon, walking the route Napoleon, avoid El Acebo if you want water and toilet flushes after 7, catch the vespers in Rabanal, take the alto route out of Irun, realize that Monasteries might be cold and dirty, or maginificent even, sunsets in O'Cebriero depending on the time of year, all these things can extend a fastastically standard Camino into a fantastically fantastic one.

The variables, despite all the advice, are the weather and people met along the way.

The people met are the best. No guidebook can prepare you for who you meet. And that is why I go back, as they are always enjoyable and unpredictable, but I'd rather know ahead of time where I can find a clean bed and a good place to eat.

Oh and where they poison horses with river water.

There is a wonderful walkers saying: The Map is NOT the Territory (I learnt it first at a lecture about the definition of being lost). For me - a research addict with IT in my veins, this sums up my experiences. I research and plan beforehand, usually what if scenarios, map out a rough outline and then set off to actually experience the Unknown on the Ground.

I agree that the people that you meet along the Way are the best of the Unknown. This was/is the lasting experience of my first Camino. ;) Yes... I feel the siren call and am 'just looking' as I tell my hubby who has been seeing various new guidebooks for all sort of routes arrive.

The Map is NOT the Territory
And the photo is not the experience. I've walked five years now, and believe me, there is no amount of Internet research that comes anywhere close to the actual experience of walking.

...because of the internet now the familiar is not left behind and the unknown has become familiar before one leaves home...
The converse is also true: because of the Internet you now have some idea of the meaning, history, context and significance of the thing you are looking at, rather than blankly skimming past.

The sunset challenge " where to sleep ? " has been banished by the ease of booking into hostel etc. With street-plan provided on-line.
Sometimes I have walked without reservations (Bavaria and Czech Republic in the spring), and relied upon the hope of finding lodgings as I go. Other times I have made reservations (France and Switzerland) and am then faced with the challenge of finding the darned locations. Typically in both cases, the last hour of the day, finding lodgings, is the most painful, frustrating, and difficult. Information technology that eases this process is truly welcome. Perhaps in Spain, where lodgings are frequent and easily located, the problem is different. But for me, the loss of Internet assistance on the lodging problem adds an hour of walking to every day.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kitsambler, well put. My wife and I are walking our Camino next March. What is interesting is experiencing our training walks in in Washington state. They are also a part of experiencing our pilgrimage. We have traveled through out Europe several times without reservations which is our preference in and have never stayed in a hotel, but in private homes and hostels. Because we are arriving late in St Jean we will reserve beds the first night and when we begin our walk the following day we will go one day at a time.

"Unknown" is just a more intimidating word for "undiscovered." The Camino is a not a journey into the unknown, it's a journey of discovery -- discovery of a new and different land, a new and different people, and a new and different self.

I was almost overwhelmed at the start of my first Camino.. Didn't understand, speak, or read Spanish, still dodnt. Unfamiliar with the culture. How do I use transportation, get food, get lodgings. Yes, I used the forum and I had a guide book and I had done research for months. Still it was daunting. Getting to Madrid and Santiago was easy. Getting to the Ferroll Train station we were offered a ride to the visitors KIOSK at the water front. While getting my pilgrim passport stamped a man came up and asked if we needed a room for the night. Took us to his hotel, Hotel Silva. He also drove us along the Camino route through and past the outskirts of town and offered advice on areas to avoid. He even took us to a sporting goods store. Random acts of kindness followed us on our entire Camino. From that point on walking the Caminos is a breeze. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Exactly why, having not yet done a camino, I resist looking at all the pics posted. It's not just that, like movie trailers, they cherry pick. It's wanting to discover it for myself. Sure the pics will be great reminders afterwards though.
Me too, exactly!

This also reminds me of a fantastic book called "The Paradox of Choice," which argued that the more choices one has (a product, a place to stay, a restaurant, etc.), the less happy one is with the choice made. There could have been a better backpack! A better hostel! A better (whatever). I am completely guilty, fretting over whether I made a "right" choice. But I am working on it, trying to choose the first option that meets enough of my criteria, and letting go of all those options not explored. Despite my addiction to this forum, I'm trying to employ the same practice here.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the more choices one has (a product, a place to stay, a restaurant, etc.), the less happy one is with the choice made.
I don't think that is inherent in the number of choices! Those choices are available even to those who do not know about them, who may be very happy albeit in ignorance. So it is knowing about them, a mental act, that may lead to unhappiness. The number is just the number. The rest is attitude. :)

I don't think that is inherent in the number of choices! Those choices are available even to those who do not know about them, who may be very happy albeit in ignorance. So it is knowing about them, a mental act, that may lead to unhappiness. The number is just the number. The rest is attitude. :)
Oh, yes, attitude is important! But the book argued (and I've seen it myself) that people can (not will) become paralyzed by information and options, reluctant to make a decision, second-guessing a decision made. I think that's one reason I am so looking forward to actually being on my Camino pilgrimage -- yes, still choices to be made, but at a much more simplified, basic level.

Because of all the information on the forum I decided to forgo buying a guide for my Camino this past April-May. I took some paper notes with my proposed walking plan and off I went.

In my day to day job I do a lot of logistical planning and I wanted to get away from all that and just let the road take me. I think you can still have a "sunset challenge" if you seek to.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't think there's anything wrong with researching and preparing for a trip beforehand. It may sound very romantic to go boldly into the unknown, but in practice, a bit of previous research can save you from headaches and even dangerous situations (as we're sadly being reminded of lately).

This relates to some opinion articles I've been reading lately in some american media, romanticizing the New York of the 1970s as being much more free, alive and creative than the current city. Well, call me bourgueois, but I don't see what's so romantic about living in a place where you might be mugged at any time. It's perfectly legitimate to want to live in a creative place without having to step onto needles while walking through the streets.

Of course, as with everything, preparation can be overdone. There comes a time when one must simply stop obsessing about getting every little detail planned beforehand and simply... start walking and let go :).

I have traveled the world extensively over the years and although i really enjoy the planning part of any trip - looking over maps, train schedules, hostel locations, etc as it nicely fills in the time between the idea of going and actually doing it - i find that "the plan" usually ends up on the bottom of my backpack next to my dirty socks. I know i would have missed out meeting some very amazing people and experienced things i didn't know existed had i stuck to a strict regimen. But i've never had to worry about any time constraints either. Things can "change on a dime" the saying goes especially when you're in a foreign land or "expect the unexpected" (hate using that one). But there's a Robert Burns poem that covers this for me:

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

Cheers!
I always wondered where the line about the schemes of mice and men came from!

I have traveled the world extensively over the years and although i really enjoy the planning part of any trip - looking over maps, train schedules, hostel locations, etc as it nicely fills in the time between the idea of going and actually doing it - i find that "the plan" usually ends up on the bottom of my backpack next to my dirty socks. I know i would have missed out meeting some very amazing people and experienced things i didn't know existed had i stuck to a strict regimen. But i've never had to worry about any time constraints either. Things can "change on a dime" the saying goes especially when you're in a foreign land or "expect the unexpected" (hate using that one). But there's a Robert Burns poem that covers this for me:

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

Cheers!

Couldn't put it better! On one extensively researched and organised trekking trip we landed just as our government issued a 'do not travel' advice. Our local guides kept us safe and the 35 days trekking coincided with the plan on just 2 occasions. We had the most amazing time and are still in contact with our guides so many years later.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Because of all the information on the forum I decided to forgo buying a guide for my Camino this past April-May. I took some paper notes with my proposed walking plan and off I went.

In my day to day job I do a lot of logistical planning and I wanted to get away from all that and just let the road take me. I think you can still have a "sunset challenge" if you seek to.
Well you made it back but I'm not hearing a ringing endorsement for the strategy...

It may sound very romantic to go boldly into the unknown, but in practice, a bit of previous research can save you from headaches and even dangerous situations
A trip without planning always reminds me of the thousands of times I have been asked for the time by someone who proudly eschews watches. I gladly loan my Brierley's to the many pilgrims who don't carry a guidebook on the assumption that they are glad to let me carry the 11 oz. of weight. ;)

My Jewish friend tends to say "Man plans; God laughs."
I have never made reservations for accommodation. I do recommend doing so in Santiago if you plan being there on July 24th but even so I swear I got the last room in the CBD doing a last minute internet search and Santiago did not let us down.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I undeniably think one of the joys of The Camino is the space and distance that it gives to oneself, this provides the perspective to learn and find answers. I therefore believe doing The Camino without the internet and indeed technology is a wonderful liberation. I could not recommend this experience enough. I do not think it is possible to experience the intensity of these feelings with the familiarity of technology along the way. To leave behind the familiar is to embrace the unfamiliar and enjoy the awesomeness of life.

you can quite easy do the camino without a guide book like so many I see..walking into Santiago I never book a place to stay and look for a person I know who has private apartments not just for pilgrims.....I usually get the exclusive use of a room with more than one bed..even though I offer to pay for the all the bed spaces. they refuse...first name terms.now

I take the map only guide because it lighter and use it to arrange places to meet up with others later...I also let as many people as possible take picture for some days ahead if they want.

There is a new kindle edition guide book out by Leslie Gilmore 2015 who also runs a much small forum...

1. https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wHP7cXeJL._UY250_.jpg[/IMG]
    £6.47
    Kindle Edition

"Unknown" is just a more intimidating word for "undiscovered." The Camino is a not a journey into the unknown, it's a journey of discovery -- discovery of a new and different land, a new and different people, and a new and different self.
camino was certainly unknown to me and still is in many ways. i should go on many more (hoping). Some say camino is a metaphor for life's journey and as such we cannot be sure what is around the next bend. However we can choose not to be intimidated or in fear of the unknown but embrace change. Like you the new and different self will emerge .

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back