• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Awoke with second thoughts.

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
I was awake most of the night wondering if I made the right decision. I leave for Spain at the end this month. I've made plans to start my Camino at Pamplona and walk 15 days probably stopping at Sahagun. Then taking a taxi to Leon to head back to Madrid. But now I'm having thoughts of completing the Primitivo and completing the whole thing in 15 days ending at SDC. I know it will be harder but something is calling me. To finish a whole camino solo. And I think getting back to Madrid from SDC will be a bit easier. I need some advice. I think 15 days is sufficient so that I am not rushing. Albergues will be open right? I know it will be wet and muddy but o well. If I do the Primitivo. I plan on taking the train from Madrid to Oviedo having a recovery day then start the next day. Hotel recomendations? I know I will get in late the first night what will be open in Oviedo so would get a hotel. Then the next night find an albeurge so I can meet some other perigrinos. Any and all thoughts are welcome.....Decisions. Decisions.......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@EL LECHERO

The Primitivo is a wonderful camino. I have walked it twice, both times it took 12 days. And you are wise to spend a day in Oviedo, a fabulous town.

I walked first in 2014 and then in late 2019. There were more people the second time, but it was not crowded and has a wonderful camino feel with some lovely albergues. And, in my opinion, it is not so difficult as is sometimes written.

I think this is a great plan and you will have no regrets. Buen camino 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
@EL LECHERO

The Primitivo is a wonderful camino. I have walked it twice, both times it took 12 days. And you are wise to spend a day in Oviedo, a fabulous town.

I think this is a great plan and you will have no regrets. Buen camino 😎
I think I'm going with my gut. I'm getting chills about the Primitivo. I'm going to cancel my reservations in Pamplona and start over. What time of year did you go. Pearls of wisdom? ie Getting there. where to stay etc. I do have the Wise pilgrims guide book for the Primitivo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In both cases, it was in October but I don’t know any reason why April will not be as good. Others who walked in April may comment. Last time, we used Wise Pilgrim guide too. The route is well marked.

It’s time to start my day here - I can write more later about our stages and special Albergues, but I’m sure others will come along before I return.

My feeling is that most, maybe all, on the forum, who have walked the Primitivo, will like your plan. 😎

I share @anamcara’s enthusiasm, as do lots of other forum members. And with the added bonus that it will give you a “start to finish” camino, I think you are right to go with your gut. Albergues were almost all open last September (with an exception for a couple of the municipal ones, like in Belorado and Grandas de Salime, but there are privates to take up the slack).

Gronze.com is a good reference for what’s open. It’s in spanish but very easy to understand even if you don’t speak a word of Spanish.

Highlight albergues on the Primitivo are surely Bodenaya (David) and Samblismo (right before Hospitales). And walking the Roman walls aroud Lugo, oh, don’t get me started! I think you will be very happy with this decision, and you’re right that the transportation sounds less complicated, with no taxi needed.

Such a great choice, I am sure you won’t regret it, @Lechero. And with 15 days, you have plenty of time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Primitivo is a wise choice for many reasons, the scenery, the villages, the mountains, etc. including the fact that you will be able to complete it within your time frame. Both times along the Primitivo I was full of amazement and wonder the entire time and would not hesitate to walk it again. I have many great memories of the historical places and the people I met.

In Salas we stopped for the Menú del Peregrino at the Hotel Castillo Valdés. Before walking into the restaurant we passed by the reception where I asked the price for a room and declined because it was more than my friends and I could afford. We had an excellent meal and when we asked for the check, the waiter said the owner wanted to know how much had budgeted for a room and I told him. We were offered splendid accommodations at the price I had mentioned. Needless to say that this was such an unexpected gift and we were so grateful to be able to stay in this historical XVI century castle!

Eroski Consumer has an incredible app with all the caminos. It is full of all the information you need to plan your day by day walk with distances, terrain, maps, albergue information, difficulties, observations, as well as important monuments not to miss. Like Gronze, it is in Spanish but easy to make sense of it, -even if you don't speak it.

INMO You won't have any regrets if you opt to go on the Primitivo. It's truly an incredibly beautiful and peaceful route - until it joins the Francés for the last couple of days:)

Last edited:
I went late April about 4 years ago. It was wet with muddy stretches, I had cold mornings and light snow. Scenery is spectacular.
I open Gronze in chrome where it translates to English. It's very useful with up-to-date info for each stage.
I'd advise a rest day to see Lugo or at least a shorter day arriving to allow you to see the city.
From Lugo to Santiago is a lot flatter than previous stages. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don’t over think, just do it what feels right to you, can you finish in 15 days? If you can’t it’s ok it’s always the next time, just enjoy it whatever you do

zzotte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I share @anamcara’s enthusiasm, as do lots of other forum members. And with the added bonus that it will give you a “start to finish” camino, I think you are right to go with your gut. Albergues were almost all open last September (with an exception for a couple of the municipal ones, like in Belorado and Grandas de Salime, but there are privates to take up the slack).

Gronze.com is a good reference for what’s open. It’s in spanish but very easy to understand even if you don’t speak a word of Spanish.

Highlight albergues on the Primitivo are surely Bodenaya (David) and Samblismo (right before Hospitales). And walking the Roman walls aroud Lugo, oh, don’t get me started! I think you will be very happy with this decision, and you’re right that the transportation sounds less complicated, with no taxi needed.

Such a great choice, I am sure you won’t regret it, @Lechero. And with 15 days, you have plenty of time.
I think 15 days is sufficient so that I am not rushing.
I never walked it but other pilgrims that I met on the Norte all split off to walk the Primitivo. Me, the old man stayed on the Norte. I happened to run into all of them (how great is that) in Arzua or in Santiago. They all told me it was tougher than the Norte, but beautiful and they all loved it. Judging by your photo you look about the same age and I am sure you will be just fine and you will have enough time to comfortably and enjoyably walk to Santiago.
Adding to Peregrina 2000 Gronze is a great resource and if you open it in Chrome it will translate to English. It is pretty easy to understand if you can speak some Spanish without the translation but Chrome does a good job of translating for you. Up to date in terms of open/closed albergues. Download the Wise Pilgrim and/or Buen Camino app just to have more choices of places to sleep.
I say go for it! I think that it will be more satisfying to walk a ¨"complete" Camino.
I also have to agree with trecile. I don't know why but I think it would be weird for me to end a camino anywhere but Santiago and on to Muxia or Finisterre if you have the time.

I was awake most of the night wondering if I made the right decision. I leave for Spain at the end this month. I've made plans to start my Camino at Pamplona and walk 15 days probably stopping at Sahagun. Then taking a taxi to Leon to head back to Madrid. But now I'm having thoughts of completing the Primitivo and completing the whole thing in 15 days ending at SDC. I know it will be harder but something is calling me. To finish a whole camino solo. And I think getting back to Madrid from SDC will be a bit easier. I need some advice. I think 15 days is sufficient so that I am not rushing. Albergues will be open right? I know it will be wet and muddy but o well. If I do the Primitivo. I plan on taking the train from Madrid to Oviedo having a recovery day then start the next day. Hotel recomendations? I know I will get in late the first night what will be open in Oviedo so would get a hotel. Then the next night find an albeurge so I can meet some other perigrinos. Any and all thoughts are welcome.....Decisions. Decisions.......
Totally agree with the other pilgrims, I did the Norte and Primitivo last September/October, you will love it! 15 days is plenty to finish the Primitivo. I also used Wise Pilgrim guide, there were many albergues closed so it's worth checking ahead, if you know you have 15 days it would be worth planning route a little and booking at least some accomodation ahead, booking.com have albergues and hostels as well as some cheap hotels.

Pilgrims are walking the Camino Primitivo right now. It is possible.

I don't think the the Camino Primitivo is harder than Camino Francés. The Pyrenees and the mountains after Astorga and in Galicia is just as hard as the Primitivo.

What is open and not is less documented on Camino Primitivo, so you'll have to do some more calling ahead to make sure accommodations are open. That's all.

Buen Camino, whatever you choose. But I think you already made up your mind.

Andy

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll be 6 weeks behind you. I can't wait to try this Camino. I also have 15 days to walk, and I'm hoping to get to SDC in 12, then on to Finisterre in another 3. But, we all know that we need to take it as it comes! Buen Camino

I've made plans to start my Camino at Pamplona and walk 15 days probably stopping at Sahagun. Then taking a taxi to Leon to head back to Madrid.
There is a train station in Sahagün. You could look for a train connection to Madrid from Palencia also. There are buses from Sahagün to Madrid too.

An alternative is to stay a night in Madrid near the airport then take early morning flight to Oviedo and start walking when you arrive. I did that in September.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Primitivo is a wise choice for many reasons, the scenery, the villages, the mountains, etc. including the fact that you will be able to complete it within your time frame. Both times along the Primitivo I was full of amazement and wonder the entire time and would not hesitate to walk it again. I have many great memories of the historical places and the people I met.

In Salas we stopped for the Menú del Peregrino at the Hotel Castillo Valdés. Before walking into the restaurant we passed by the reception where I asked the price for a room and declined because it was more than my friends and I could afford. We had an excellent meal and when we asked for the check, the waiter said the owner wanted to know how much had budgeted for a room and I told him. We were offered splendid accommodations at the price I had mentioned. Needless to say that this was such an unexpected gift and we were so grateful to be able to stay in this historical XVI century castle!

Eroski Consumer has an incredible app with all the caminos. It is full of all the information you need to plan your day by day walk with distances, terrain, maps, albergue information, difficulties, observations, as well as important monuments not to miss. Like Gronze, it is in Spanish but easy to make sense of it.

INMO You won't have any regrets if you opt to go on the Primitivo. It's truly an incredibly beautiful and peaceful route - until it joins the Francés for the last couple of days:)
To translate on the gronze website:
  1. Open Safari.
  2. Go to a website in a language you'd like to translate.
  3. Tap the aA button.
  4. Select the language you would like to translate to.
  5. Tap Enable Translation.
On app you can do the same but don’t need to open safari.

I'll be 6 weeks behind you. I can't wait to try this Camino. I also have 15 days to walk, and I'm hoping to get to SDC in 12, then on to Finisterre in another 3. But, we all know that we need to take it as it comes! Buen Camino
While laying in bed last night I though perhaps if enough time take a bus/taxi to the end of the world for the day before heading back......

A few years ago I walked the Norte from Irún to Santiago. Then I walked to Finisterre and Muxia, then a few days on the Portugués. I injured one leg in Portugal and after parting with my friends I flew to Bilbao. There I rested for several days until my leg improved. I was on a leave of absence from work and still had plenty of time and wanted to walk some more. I decided that I loved the Norte and should walk a part of it again. I got on a bus to Gihon but on the way, for uncertain reasons, I began to have doubts about walking on the Norte again. The bus driver announced that we were making a stop in Oviedo. Oviedo!! I knew this was the start of the Camino Primitivo. I had heard the Primitivo was hard but I was in excellent Camino shape by then. I had met a German pilgrim on the Norte who told me emphatically that the Primitivo was incredible.
Suddenly, I got up from my seat and told the driver that I wanted to get off and that I needed to retrieve my mochila from under the bus. He said he thought I was going to Gihon. I told him, “I have changed my mind. I must walk the Camino Primitivo.” And thus, El Lechero, mi hermano, it seems you must walk the Primitivo as well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A few years ago I walked the Norte from Irún to Santiago. Then I walked to Finisterre and Muxia, then a few days on the Portugués. I injured one leg in Portugal and after parting with my friends I flew to Bilbao. There I rested for several days until my leg improved. I was on a leave of absence from work and still had plenty of time and wanted to walk some more. I decided that I loved the Norte and should walk a part of it again. I got on a bus to Gihon but on the way, for uncertain reasons, I began to have doubts about walking on the Norte again. The bus driver announced that we were making a stop in Oviedo. Oviedo!! I knew this was the start of the Camino Primitivo. I had heard the Primitivo was hard but I was in excellent Camino shape by then. I had met a German pilgrim on the Norte who told me emphatically that the Primitivo was incredible.
Suddenly, I got up from my seat and told the driver that I wanted to get off and that I needed to retrieve my mochila from under the bus. He said he thought I was going to Gihon. I told him, “I have changed my mind. I must walk the Camino Primitivo.” And thus, El Lechero, mi hermano, it seems you must walk the Primitivo as well!
Mi Gusto, amigo! Camiente no hay camino, se hace camino al andar

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Primitivo is fabulous. I did it in September. Lodgings available although I did private rooms, airbnbs etc. 15 days should be enough. Oviedo is wonderful. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be following you late April/May on Primitivo for my third Camino. Good luck.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back