• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

azambaja alburgue not open

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal route from Lisbon in May (2015)
Via de la Plata from Seville in April-May 2017
Today there was no key for the pilgrim shelter. The lady at the market across the street did not have it. Presumably a pilgrim had it and will return. After hours, no key. Could not find jacino. Three of us went to expensive flor and after dinner met two who went to bombaros. The Lady at market has no vested interest. The key system does not work. Must be replaced.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Today there was no key for the pilgrim shelter. The lady at the market across the street did not have it. Presumably a pilgrim had it and will return. After hours, no key. Could not find jacino. Three of us went to expensive flor and after dinner met two who went to bombaros. The Lady at market has no vested interest. The key system does not work. Must be replaced.

Hi, Steve, so sorry to hear this. The key system is cumbersome, especially with people coming and going during the day and evening and having to figure out how to share it, but it is more than an inconvenience when people walk off with the key unintentionally!

One system that is frequently used is to have a mailbox outside the albergue where people deposit the key upon departure. That wouldn't solve your problem, though. Hard things go better from here. I'm in rainy northern Portugal now, heading to Lisbon tonight -- I'll be in a car, though. Hope the day isn't too unpleasant for you walking. Sorry we missed each other, bom caminho, Laurie

Thank you for your update @StevethePlanner.

This worries me a little - but it looks like I will not be walking alone from Lisbon. The Camino Portugues has become more popular and the numbers of pilgrims starting from Lisbon must be increasing :)

Looking forward to your updates :)

Wellwellwell - I will be happy if i get to Porto - from there I know my Way.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Steve, so sorry to hear this. The key system is cumbersome, especially with people coming and going during the day and evening and having to figure out how to share it, but it is more than an inconvenience when people walk off with the key unintentionally!

One system that is frequently used is to have a mailbox outside the albergue where people deposit the key upon departure. That wouldn't solve your problem, though. Hard things go better from here. I'm in rainy northern Portugal now, heading to Lisbon tonight -- I'll be in a car, though. Hope the day isn't too unpleasant for you walking. Sorry we missed each other, bom caminho, Laurie

I also tried to stay in the new Alberque and couldn't find the key. Since it was May 1st I figured it was because the store was closed for the holiday. (I arrived there the day before Steve.) I tried phoning the number for the store and I got a message that said the phone number was not good (disconnected). I am not sure about this alberque. At this point I would not depend on it. However after first telling me I couldn't stay at the bombaros they finally looked at my sad face and said ok. When I got up to the room with the beds on the floor there were at least 12 people there!! So my advice is even if they say no ask again, they will let you. And actually they were quite nice!

Bom Caminho!
Restless

I also tried to stay in the new Alberque and couldn't find the key. Since it was May 1st I figured it was because the store was closed for the holiday. (I arrived there the day before Steve.) I tried phoning the number for the store and I got a message that said the phone number was not good (disconnected). I am not sure about this alberque. At this point I would not depend on it. However after first telling me I couldn't stay at the bombaros they finally looked at my sad face and said ok. When I got up to the room with the beds on the floor there were at least 12 people there!! So my advice is even if they say no ask again, they will let you. And actually they were quite nice!

Bom Caminho!
Restless

Wow! 12 people in the bombeiros in Azambuja! When I walked from Lisbon in 2009, I met not one other pilgrim, and no one in any town along the way had heard of the Caminho. This is pretty amazing, IMO. Enjoy, Restless! Laurie

Wow! 12 people in the bombeiros in Azambuja! When I walked from Lisbon in 2009, I met not one other pilgrim, and no one in any town along the way had heard of the Caminho. This is pretty amazing, IMO. Enjoy, Restless! Laurie
Let me clarify. There were probably at least 12 there but not all headed to Santiago. Most were headed to Fatima. I believe May is a special time for that pilgramage. Some where headed to Fatima and then to Santiago. A few (maybe 4) where headed to Santiago.

However based upon the things I have read about this route it does seem like there are more people than in the past. I have had good alone time, but also good walking with others time. As an example there are four of us leaving today headed to Golega.

Also yesterday when I got a little lost, I asked someone where the camino was and he walked me to where I should go. So the route is starting to be known to the Portuguese as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back