• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baamonde to Sobrado dos Monxes

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Calling all pilgrims who recently walked the Norte between Baamonde and Sobrado dos Monxes:
- did you walk the new Camino, which bypasses Miraz?
- if so, did you notice any accommodation along the way?
Thank you!
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last October I walked from Baamonde to Sobrado but I chose the route through Miraz.However a young German pilgrim who I met up with again in Sobrado did take the alternative route and told me he passed through tiny villages with no amenities.The other aspect of taking this shorter route and the reason I didn' t take it wasthat Baamonde marks the last 100 kms to Santiago but passing through Miraz.I wanted the compostela.
In view of this I was surprised to see the alternative signage indicating that the new route was 30 kms ,some 11 kms shorter than the original.

Calling all pilgrims who recently walked the Norte between Baamonde and Sobrado dos Monxes:
- did you walk the new Camino, which bypasses Miraz?
- if so, did you notice any accommodation along the way?
Thank you!
Buen Camino
Yes I went through As Cruces.There is 1 bar open about halfway with a small grocery store and coffee, beer, etc. Otherwise a long but easy walk through soft terrain. Some people started from an albergue in Parga...see attached. It's after you get off the hiway and start the forest trek across the train track outside of Baamonde.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-165048_Buen Camino.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-165048_Buen Camino.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 7
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is an old thread, and I know AJ has already been through — which route did you take, AJ?

If you are interested in what is behind the “new route,” here’s what I pieced together in 2017. I always love learning about these back stories.

Originally posted here.

This stage from Baamonde is currently in an arrow war between the Xunta and the people who have developed facilities along the route that goes through Miraz. You can see that at two spots. One is the spot you describe, it goes to the left right at that traffic circle that is about a block away from the albergue. I think, but am not sure, that the arrows to the left also take you through Miraz, but it would be good to get confirmation on that. (Can you clarify? You say you took the right turn at the roundabout, but then met friends at the river who had taken the left turn-- I am not good with directions, so this is a bit confusing for me. What river?)

The second spot where the arrow battle is evident is at a spot along the route that most pilgrims take. That is, if you go to the right at the roundabout, then left over the old bridge and right through the little green glen where the church is and where the incident took place, a few kms further on you will see another bifurcation. To the right, it goes directly to Sobrado dos Monxes, with a note that says it's 24 km from the spot of the bifurcation. That would make the Baamonde to Sobrado stage a total of 32 km, quite doable for many people. If you go that way, however, you will not pass through Miraz and the other places along that route, so there are many people with investments at stake here.

It was explained to me that all of this is happening because of the Norte's designation as a UNESCO heritage site. The Xunta is trying to recover the historical routes but is running into opposition because of the people who have had businesses up and running for years. There is another spot where there is a split, which bypasses Arzua, I believe, but people who took that route were very unhappy because it is all asphalt and has no services.

This is an old thread, and I know AJ has already been through — which route did you take, AJ?
It's an old thread that brings back good memories ☺️

As we're slow walkers, we walked via Miraz. We stayed at the Albergue O Abrigo. Small world, we met a Swiss couple who come from the village we used to holiday in when I was a kid.

We then did a diversion from the Camino to stay at Bi Terra in Regüela, a beautiful place.

From there we walked back to the Camino and stayed at the monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes.

I'd love to be back, but our lockdown has been extended by another week...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.