• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Babies on Camino

Gorey

Time of past OR future Camino
3/4 walked
I have already walked from SJDP to Astorga. Want to walk from Astorga to Santiago with 5 month baby from 29 Oct - 10 Nov 2019. Looking for advice on terrain, weather and suitable accommodation and if I should bring a pram? Baby Sling is coming with us.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Will you be walking with someone else who can carry your gear? If so, then I'd leave the pram behind. If you're on our own, then I'd take the pram.

I have already walked from SJDP to Astorga. Want to walk from Astorga to Santiago with 5 month baby from 29 Oct - 10 Nov 2019. Looking for advice on terrain, weather and suitable accommodation and if I should bring a pram? Baby Sling is coming with us.

Hi @Gorey ad welcome on this forum.

Do take your time to browse around. You can use the search function box in the right corner to find more info.

This recent thread is about a couple walking with a baby.

Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take a tram. Only because if it rains there can be some seriously slippery spots, especially on the cobblestones and the parts of the paths that are just lots of rocks in all kinds of positions. It is bad enough if the path is flat. Many times you get this on up and downhills. This photo was taken from a different post today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
We met a family with a 6 month old last year who used the pram to carry parents’ packs when the baby was in a front pack. They talked about a Facebook page for families with young children on the Camino, have you found that?

Take a tram. Only because if it rains there can be some seriously slippery spots, especially on the cobblestones and the parts of the paths that are just lots of rocks in all kinds of positions. It is bad enough if the path is flat. Many times you get this on up and downhills. This photo was taken from a different post today.
That track looks equally daunting for both carrying a baby or pushing one in a pram..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That track looks equally daunting for both carrying a baby or pushing one in a pram..
It may be equally daunting but if I was taking my 6 month old I would rather she be in the pram than on my back or in a pouch on my chest. If you slip suddenly and fall I only shutter to think what could happen to the baby. Falling like that especially very quickly and unexpectedly leaves you with little or no ability to fall a certain way or protect your baby.

Ive come across a vlog of a camino pilgrim doing the camino frances in winter with his wife & infant son 3 yrs ago. The husband, Matthew Armstrong carried most of their stuff while the wife, carried baby Indigo in a pack carrier, sometimes also with an umbrella. They stayed mostly in albergues. The couple were given the compostelas in SdC. When they reached Finisterre, the 3 of them got their compostelas. Unfortunately, the videos of the camino are no longer available for viewing in you tube. Only this video on their compostelas is available but a clip of Victoria & Indigo on the camino trail can be seen.

Thanks Ivar for sending this. I will try to make contact with Matthew. We are almost ready to set off next Tuesday. Many thanks Liguori

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@hikingmd_05 I was looking for those videos to post as the series was such a comprehensive account of walking all the way from SJPDP to Finisterre with a baby. A separate video blog post for each day. I watched them when it first ran. So sorry it is no longer available.

Last edited:
That was one of the first vlogs I watched. I saw recently it had been taken down, when I went to look for it to recommend on another similar thread. I was glad I had downloaded them to be able to watch them offline.
Ive come across a vlog of a camino pilgrim doing the camino frances in winter with his wife & infant son 3 yrs ago. The husband, Matthew Armstrong carried most of their stuff while the wife, carried baby Indigo in a pack carrier, sometimes also with an umbrella. They stayed mostly in albergues. The couple were given the compostelas in SdC. When they reached Finisterre, the 3 of them got their compostelas. Unfortunately, the videos of the camino are no longer available for viewing in you tube. Only this video on their compostelas is available but a clip of Victoria & Indigo on the camino trail can be seen.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back