• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baby Baztán in Winter?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hi everyone,

The only Camino short enough for my Winter holiday is the Baztán (5-6 days).

Is it an impossible mission to walk in December? What is the highest point (the pyrenees?!) and will there be snow?

So please let me know if you have walked this baby Camino in Winter and what the terrain was like...

I was thinking about leaving for Biarritz on December 17 and do really short stages.

/BP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To avoid snow, why not walk from Biarritz to SJPdP? Beautiful Basque Country, lower elevations, and perfect for 5-6 days. 👍. The Batzan in the winter will be very unpredictable.

To avoid snow, why not walk from Biarritz to SJPdP? Beautiful Basque Country, lower elevations, and perfect for 5-6 days. 👍. The Batzan in the winter will be very unpredictable.

The Baz was my main target, but if the weather is shaky maybe I should skip the idea 😞!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know some have done it, and as much as I like the Baztan, I would avoid it during the high winter
if there is snow in the passes (I don't know if it snows there since it's close to the coast). On the passes, the trail sometimes follows along the side of the mountain with a precipice going down to your side (think double black diamond). If the trail is covered with snow and ice this will be very dangerous. I've attached some photos as examples, although the photos do not do the steepness justice.
Hope this helps.

20190508_083529.jpg20190509_140905.jpg20190509_141048.jpg20190509_141724.jpg

I know some have done it, and as much as I like the Baztan, I would avoid it during the high winter
if there is snow in the passes (I don't know if it snows there since it's close to the coast). On the passes, the trail sometimes follows along the side of the mountain with a precipice going down to your side (think double black diamond). If the trail is covered with snow and ice this will be very dangerous. I've attached some photos as examples, although the photos do not do the steepness justice.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 67345View attachment 67346View attachment 67347View attachment 67348

Holy mother of inclinations,

With all this information I think I will have to postpone this baby Camino to another season...

I just wanted to get away for a few days, but the other routes are too long! 😭

So Easter would be a better time for the Baztán, right?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s a great concept, just POSSIBLY mistimed. 😬. Easter could be better and it avoids the CF crowds. But go walk SOMEWHERE now if you can! Walk now and then. Walk, walk, walk. Piemonte, Ingles, Norte, Irun, Aragon,.... in short, GO! 👍

It’s a great concept, just POSSIBLY mistimed. 😬. Easter could be better and it avoids the CF crowds. But go walk SOMEWHERE now if you can! Walk now and then. Walk, walk, walk. Piemonte, Ingles, Norte, Irun, Aragon,.... in short, GO! 👍
@Bad Pilgrim
I agree with the above !!
If you’re lucky enough to have 5 or 6 days free to walk. .......then....lucky man.. walk ‘somewhere’ ..there must be lots of routes still to see?
Go do a ‘recci’ on a section of one or the first 5 days of another.
Not sure what weather would be like on the section that is starting to be walked now from Zamora (alternate cut towards Portugal and up instead of first section of Sanabrés ). Might be nice that way ??
Buen camino
Annie

Heck, BP, I'd do it in a heartbeat, any time.
The pass is not so high as further West, and if it's a white-out, you could get potentially around the pass by walking on the road. Check with the really nice señora at the Hostal Venta San Blas.
@Afri-Can 's is right. The pics don't do justice to the steepness of the way up, but it's gorgeous.
View media item 6957
View media item 6958

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're based in Europe, you might want to keep an eye on the weather forecast and make the decision closer to the date. I remember looking at the pilgrim log in the Berroeta albergue and noticing that French and Spanish pilgrims walk this Camino all year round. So maybe don't rule it out just yet!

Re. the elevations: the highest point at Puerto de Belate is 936m and involves a climb of just over 600m. It’s a slow and gradual climb, through a beautiful forest and is typically tackled as part of a relatively short walking stage (about 16kms).

Most days have a few ‘ups and downs’ and some of us found the 500m climb after Urdax to be almost as challenging as the bigger one to the Puerto de Belate. You can mitigate this by staying in Urdax and tackling that climb in the morning - but be warned, the albergue has a reputation for being extremely cold! There are private options nearby.

Another feature of the Baztan is that some paths are poorly maintained and you may encounter mud, fallen trees, overflowing streams and other obstacles during or after bad weather. Despite all of that, I'd have no hesitation about walking it in winter if the weather forecast was reasonably OK!

Happy planning and walking, whatever you decide.

How about SdC to Finisterre/Muxia? I have six days from 28th Dec to 2nd Jan and will be doing this route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Augusta is flat and quite pretty. See my post about it elsewhere here - one bad dog encounter, the rest definitely "would do again".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some would hate the Baztan in Winter, some would hate walking in Winter...

I walked the Baztan (solo) in 2nd week of Jan this year, then again in April with a friend - loved them both,but different.

The Baztan is totally doable in Winter, as in any other route - as long as common sense is applied (which ain’t that common anymore...) I grew up with «Fjellvettreglene» - the most important, in my mind, is 8- Don’t be ashamed to turn around/back.

There was fairly poor weather forecast on the day I started from Elizondo, so my plan was to walk 4-5 hours, then turn around - get the bus to Pamplona, but the weather shifted - and it was beautiful clear skies, so I carried on.

I had «mini-crampons» in my bag- needed them getting to airport from home - I used them once - crossing Belotea, and felt much safer; there’s a brook from the Ermita that had frozen, and the brook sort of covers the main path, crampons allowed me to «walk» down it. It might be doable without, but it’s plain stupid not to have them.

I started walking in January with short notice - accomodation was more limited than in peak season, but there were options available for days around the 20 and 30 km mark, most days also had an option for 12-16km. I had a down 3 season sleeping bag, would not have wanted to be without it - as I stayed in a few places with no/limited heating.

If you feel drawn to the Baztan - and are flexible enough to change plans according to weather - I see absolutely no reason why you should not choose it.

I know some have been disappointed about markings, paths, facilities - we all have different expectations. I am totally a Baztan «fan-girl». I love it! Feel free to PM,

best wishes for upcoming walk,🙂

Some would hate the Baztan in Winter, some would hate walking in Winter...

I walked the Baztan (solo) in 2nd week of Jan this year, then again in April with a friend - loved them both,but different.

The Baztan is totally doable in Winter, as in any other route - as long as common sense is applied (which ain’t that common anymore...) I grew up with «Fjellvettreglene» - the most important, in my mind, is 8- Don’t be ashamed to turn around/back.

There was fairly poor weather forecast on the day I started from Elizondo, so my plan was to walk 4-5 hours, then turn around - get the bus to Pamplona, but the weather shifted - and it was beautiful clear skies, so I carried on.

I had «mini-crampons» in my bag- needed them getting to airport from home - I used them once - crossing Belotea, and felt much safer; there’s a brook from the Ermita that had frozen, and the brook sort of covers the main path, crampons allowed me to «walk» down it. It might be doable without, but it’s plain stupid not to have them.

I started walking in January with short notice - accomodation was more limited than in peak season, but there were options available for days around the 20 and 30 km mark, most days also had an option for 12-16km. I had a down 3 season sleeping bag, would not have wanted to be without it - as I stayed in a few places with no/limited heating.

If you feel drawn to the Baztan - and are flexible enough to change plans according to weather - I see absolutely no reason why you should not choose it.

I know some have been disappointed about markings, paths, facilities - we all have different expectations. I am totally a Baztan «fan-girl». I love it! Feel free to PM,

best wishes for upcoming walk,🙂

Tusen takk for rådene,

But I think it's too late for me to go now... As I wrote in another thread, I would have to buy myself a whole new wardrobe of winter camino outfits and I don't really know where to begin... Perhaps I will go in Easter... The thing is that I like solitude, but I think there will be a lot of people on Baby Baz during la semana santa!

Hope this helps.

View attachment 67345View attachment 67346View attachment 67347View attachment 67348
Where were the 4 photos taken ??
They are beautiful , interested in the third

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where were the 4 photos taken ??
They are beautiful , interested in the third
Hi Mr Tornley
Huge apologies for not getting back sooner. Got sidetracked and didn't go on the forum for half a year :(
Not sure how to explain where the 3rd photograph was except on the Belate Pass somewhere so I attached the link for the photo's location info. Technology is just great isn't it!
This was between Ziga and Lantz and I seem to remember that this was on the same day that we saw the little ponies at the top of the hill close to the Refugio Ermita.

Did you actually walk this year?

€60,-
Check about accomodation, because I understood municipal albergues in the Pais Vas closed.

I know,

I am simultaneously planning to walk from Bayonne the 25 of Oct (Baztán) and from Valencia the 18 of Dec (Requena) so I have contacted the private accomodations to see if they're open. Requena looks fine, about half of the "stages" have confirmed that they are open during Christmas.

As for Baztán I think the last stages will be the most difficult. It seems there is nothing but the municipal alberge in Olagüe, and no alternatives on or around that stage before Pamplona. But I keep trying.

/BP

Good luck! October should be lovely on the Batzan, though a bit chilly at the upper elevations. You may have to camp out a few nights if the few albuergues along the route are closed, but that’s a survivable challenge. Keep us posted 👍

Good luck! October should be lovely on the Batzan, though a bit chilly at the upper elevations. You may have to camp out a few nights if the few albuergues along the route are closed, but that’s a survivable challenge. Keep us posted 👍

Camp out??? :eek::eek::eek: I will never get home alive o_O!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back