Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baby on Primitivo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPP-Finisterre, 2015
CP, Porto-Finisterre-Muxia, 2016
Hey folks!

I had hoped to do my 3rd Camino in 2020...and then in 2021...BUT since I'm not yet vaccinated I'm going to wait until 2022. However, I'll have a baby by then. They will be around 8 months old when I plan to walk.

I know the Primitivo is hilly but is it stroller friendly (assuming I had a rugged stroller, the kind you can run/jog with)? Or should I plan to have a sling/baby carrier thing that I can wear instead?

Any tips are appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Much of the earlier part of the Primitivo is rough, rugged, mountainous and often muddy terrain, definitely not suitable for anything on wheels other than a mountain bike. The latter half after you cross into Galicia is more forgiving and flat, has a lot of 'improved' gravel track and some road walking. It's not for me to question why you would want to, but none of it is ideal for an 8 month old baby.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have done the primitivo twice (and part a 3d time) and do not know if I could confidently give a clear answer. There are significant bits where a good sports stroller (is that the name?) would be possible if difficult-- I have some friends whose determination, orneriness, and fitness who could, but I also have some determined friends who could not.

The other concern I would raise is accommodation. Albergue life is not workable for an 8-month old, so you would need to carefully plan private facilities-- at this stage we are not yet certain what will be open and sometimes there are considerable distances (I can think of two stages of about 30km) without facilities. But this may be much clearer by 2022.

Regardless of how great in shape you are, the Primitivo's topography wouldn't allow you to push a stroller in many of its mountain stages. It is rocky and muddy, and it is literally a quagmire when it rains making it difficult for you - the walker, quite challenging to go through, let alone with a baby in a rugged stroller. My recommendation would be for you to definitely do this beautiful Camino and know that your baby is safe and taken well care of at home. Or, if you must have your baby then only do the stages that will not be a risk to your baby's safety. You could have someone meet you in Melide or Arzúa and walk the rest of the camino to arrive to Santiago de Compostela together:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I never walked the Primitivo but I did walk the Norte in 2018. The Norte is a wonderful camino because of it's beauty but can be pretty difficult with all the up and downhills. Virtually EVERYONE that was walking when I was walking split off and did the Primitivo. Even though we were all solo walkers we saw each other alot and when I got to Arzua there they all were sitting in a cafe having a pizza. To a person they all said that the Norte was a piece of cake next to the Primitivo. Beautiful to be sure but more and often steeper hills to walk up and down, alot rockier terrain and muddy, really muddy. They were all young men and women who used to make fun of the old man when they saw me huffing it up some Norte hills. They told me they felt like me going up the hills of the Primitivo sometimes.
My advice would be to walk the Coastal Portugese. I have not walked that one but I have walked the central route from Lisbon and I know you would not be disappointed. Coastal=flat :) and on top of that you will love the Portugese people and have better options on where to sleep because as many would attest albergues are not the best place for babies. I love babies and I wish my babies would get on the stick and deliver me a grand baby or two, but with many in a room sleeping and babies being babies, well you know what I mean.

I haven’t done the Primitivo but I have done the Norte twice and often thought it a great route to take a baby. Baby in the rugged stroller or backpack in the rugged stroller when baby is on your back. There are some places that are too rough and the stroller would bounce a lot but that would be fine for backpack.

Also the Norte has a plethora of alternative accommodation and potential to cut legs in half if you need to.

Enjoy your Camino dreams!

kathy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Carrying baby, all the accoutrement that entails as well as your own pack, any camino beyond a well established one may need a rethink. The advantage of a stroller / cart is that the baby at 17 to 22 lb is not on your shoulders for mile after mile. And let the wheels carry it all. Pushing / pulling up and downhill will take enough to manage. Wishing you well.

At least vaccination this year will protect the baby when / after arrival.

What would the baby get out of it? Yes, would be with mum but that could happen anywhere? But backpack definitely, not wheels if that's what you decide.

I never walked the Primitivo but I did walk the Norte in 2018. The Norte is a wonderful camino because of it's beauty but can be pretty difficult with all the up and downhills. Virtually EVERYONE that was walking when I was walking split off and did the Primitivo. Even though we were all solo walkers we saw each other alot and when I got to Arzua there they all were sitting in a cafe having a pizza. To a person they all said that the Norte was a piece of cake next to the Primitivo. Beautiful to be sure but more and often steeper hills to walk up and down, alot rockier terrain and muddy, really muddy. They were all young men and women who used to make fun of the old man when they saw me huffing it up some Norte hills. They told me they felt like me going up the hills of the Primitivo sometimes.
My advice would be to walk the Coastal Portugese. I have not walked that one but I have walked the central route from Lisbon and I know you would not be disappointed. Coastal=flat :) and on top of that you will love the Portugese people and have better options on where to sleep because as many would attest albergues are not the best place for babies. I love babies and I wish my babies would get on the stick and deliver me a grand baby or two, but with many in a room sleeping and babies being babies, well you know what I mean.
Thank you for the warnings. Cementing my decision to yet another time do the CF as soon as possible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It’s perfectly possible to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo on tarmac where pushing a stroller would be no challenge. Most of the “official” route spends its time on tarmac avoidance, steep descent and ascents with some mud at the bottom to make you feel like a real pilgrim. If you want to make pilgrimage to Santiago from Oviedo pushing a baby in a stroller you should have no problem with terrain or route planning provided you can read a map. Accommodation may be a bit more of a challenge but not insurmountable. If you want to follow the designated “pilgrim” route forget it. There isn’t an all-terrain stroller on the market that would last two days

Sorry, but I have to question WHY?!!! the physiology of an eight month old baby does not lend itself to a sit up "stroller" for hours on end. Depending on your yet-to-be born baby's skin-tone, all-day exposure to sun whether in a pram/pushchair/backpack could also be problematic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depends on both your baby and you. Our son, first baby, was a dream, slept on cue, never cried, always smiling at everyone. We took him everywhere including caving at about 8 months. He loved new sights, new people and new experiences.

We used to wonder why new parents seemed to always talk about fatigue.

Then we had our daughter.

They couldn't have been more different. Now we understood what fatigue was.

While a healthy body and a loving relationship during pregnancy helps, you never know what your baby will be like until she/he comes along.

Best to wait until your baby is born and you do some local trips first. Once you have a rhythm together then you will be able to assess the answer to this question yourself.

If you and baby do decide to go then woohoo! Go for it 😃

The Camino is an intensely personal journey. Enjoy your baby time, if you must go when they are little then have them babysat, otherwise wait until they are about 7-8 and plan to do the last 100k with them walking too.
Hopefully you have a lifetime ahead to do these walks solo.
A baby carrier/sling would be much more suitable than a stroller, but you would then have a pack on the front and one on the back so not ideal if you loose balance or fall as I have done once.
Remember The Camino will still be there later- the baby won’t.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey folks!

I had hoped to do my 3rd Camino in 2020...and then in 2021...BUT since I'm not yet vaccinated I'm going to wait until 2022. However, I'll have a baby by then. They will be around 8 months old when I plan to walk.

I know the Primitivo is hilly but is it stroller friendly (assuming I had a rugged stroller, the kind you can run/jog with)? Or should I plan to have a sling/baby carrier thing that I can wear instead?

I walked from St Jean to Santiago via cf withal year old in a Phil and Ted's stroller
Explorer model it was tough especially in August the step descents are very difficult and climbing over rough ground feels like pushing a wheel barrow full of cement over a building site with a flat tyre a normal type of stroller with rigid wheels would just be destroyed very quickly. We looked at carrying our daughter but that generates a lot of heat especially with baby on front rucksack on back also with a stroller the baby can relax and lie flat as long as you plan your day around your baby it's possible and very enjoyable .my other point would be in alberques people always roll their eyes when they see you arrive with a child thinking about crying etc but my child made very little noise unlike the hundreds of teenagers who were super excited and talked all nite especially from sarria onwards
Good luck and buen camino

At the risk of being removed or censured, this is my personal opinion: Your small baby and its wellbeing should be your absolute priority. To walk the Camino is tough enough for grown-ups; for babies, it is torture, Parents doing it are simply egoistic, for they are prioritizing their own interests above those of their baby, which has no choice and no voice. Responsible young parents can surely wait until their kid reaches 10-12 years, an age at which they can consciously enjoy the experience; alternatively, one parent doing the walk while the other tends to the baby at home.

As said, this is my personal opinion as a father of 4 (now adult) Children.

PS: Feel free of substituting "Baby" with "Dog".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To walk the Camino is tough enough for grown-ups; for babies, it is torture, Parents doing it are simply egoistic, for they are prioritizing their own interests above those of their baby, which has no choice and no voice. Responsible young parents can surely wait until their kid reaches 10-12 years, an age at which they can consciously enjoy the experience; alternatively, one parent doing the walk while the other tends to the baby at home.
Self-righteous twaddle!

It’s been many years now but I recall what others have already mentioned: rough terrain, extended distances between towns, less accommodation choices etc. As was mentioned this probably was to keep us off the road although I do recall some road walking. And it seemed the cars were perfectly happy to pass me at 85 mph less than an inch from my elbow. In fact, the only time I used my poles on the Primitivo was to hold them in my outside hand to try to look bigger to keep cars away. So I’d also say a baby may not be a great idea but who knows, maybe someone has done it

Hey folks!

Will you walk alone with your baby or will there be another adult walking with you?

We walked Camino Primitivo in May 2014 with 2 children (2,5 years and 5,5 years). My husband walked with a Wheelie for luggage and our 5 year old could sit on it when he got tired. I carried the 2 year old in a Tula. We always followed Camino.
We never had problems sleeping in albergues, children slept all night. The youngest one slept with me in a sleeping bag. It depends on your baby how he is at night.

Will you be breastfeeding? I found this really easy walking when they were little (walked Camino de Caravaca when the oldest one was 1 year and 2 years).

It was a very nice experience walking together. Our children were already a bit older. Walking with children is definitely harder, you adapt to them, if they want to play, let them play and get a break. When you arrive tired, they recuperate really fast...
Children liked to sleep each day in another place, discovering new things.
They never had been so spoiled as on that Camino by people of the villages and other pilgrims...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back